Metal Storm logo
The Awesome Beer Thread

Original post

Posted by Deadmeat, 28.05.2009 - 16:38
After making a poll with having only 8 possible choices I decided that it would be better to have a Beer topic. So, tell us what's your favorite beer, why it is and give us all the necessary information about it so that we can try it when we have the chance.

So, keep on the discussion about this great drink called Beer!

As for me, I've already wrote it: Erdinger (i don't know much about it's short etc) is the best. It is a beer that kneeds in your bottle and it tastes great!
12.07.2013 - 00:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Bad English on 11.07.2013 at 23:25

but how came 8% are almost dark, more rauchbier color, and 10% are more lager , coulor?
its only 2 % diference, why same beer no metter how strong next version will be can be same colour?
I dont complain at all, more I am curiuse

for starters your argument makes no sense.

"lager , colour?" beers are 10% and dark are 8% - uh, most lagers, ales, pale ales in the world are probably between 4-6.5% and are also "lager , coulor" ...

color has to do with the malt.

ABV has to do with how it is brewed... the style of beer, processes, ingredients used, etc.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.07.2013 - 02:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know it, I know coulor is nothing to do whit %, I know ist engridients
my qastion was why Chimay and Westmalle triple is same lighter and doble is darker
But nevermind, I dont wanna discuss it anymore, otherwise conversation will show how stupid and retarded I realy am
as far from taste both are good, I mean all 4 types are good to me

Tommorow I will try 2 stouts (I dont remeber names), I saw on restaraunt meny, they have it -- I hope they have it
Gonna ceck out Olivers and O'Lieries draft beers and meny next week to
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.07.2013 - 19:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
2 beers, both I drunk in city streets even its elegal, but more where are no ppl, close to Lule river, from bottle, I had no glasses

Mohau negra - spanish dark lager
Awesome, well more fits into spansih weather, but it was awesome , because it tasted so good even it was in air tempreture

Samuel Adams Black Lager
Well also good lager from Boston, if we talk about lager beers I prefere darker , this was OK taste but since it was warm, it did not taste so well, it must be colder

----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2013 - 07:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Definitely not the best beer in the world, but an amusing commercial...

----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.07.2013 - 19:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.07.2013 at 00:14

I know loads of 10%+ beer wioh a dark colour, hell, the 35% and 40%+ beers I've had are pitch black.
Like Craig said colour has nothing to do with strength but rather the toast of the malted barley used.

Is in Ned, Bel alowed to drink alcohol in public places, streets, parks erc ...... or ts banned?
And is in Ned some strong drink like german schnabst, denish aquavit, someting simmilar then those, but made only in Ned?

And since Luxemburg is close to beer lands, does there is some brievery? Can you recoment me some good Lux beer, because in whole life I never have heard about Lux beer
----

apos;'
[image]
21.07.2013 - 10:31
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I've been on a Sweet Water kick lately. I also had a glass of Bell's Oarsman the other night. It has some mixed reviews online but I really enjoyed it. It's a good kind of beer if you are going to be eating some bar food like wings or burgers.
23.07.2013 - 18:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 21.07.2013 at 10:31

I've been on a Sweet Water kick lately. I also had a glass of Bell's Oarsman the other night. It has some mixed reviews online but I really enjoyed it. It's a good kind of beer if you are going to be eating some bar food like wings or burgers.

I like Bell's "Two Hearted" - not quite as sold on the other beers of their's i've tried. Midwestern Pale Ale was ok, nothing particularly good. I still haven't had Hopslam, it's one of the two at the top of my "Must Try" list along with Pliny the Elder.
----

23.07.2013 - 19:48
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 23.07.2013 at 18:21

I still haven't had Hopslam, it's one of the two at the top of my "Must Try" list along with Pliny the Elder.

I'll have to keep a lookout for those the next time I'm getting a mix-and-match six-pack at one of the local larger beverage stores.

Another brewer I've been drinking a lot of lately is Terrapin out of Athens, Georgia. They are known for their Hopsecutioner IPA, which I enjoy, but I've also been drinking their Rye Pale Ale, which is pretty good. I also picked up a few bottles of their altbier-style Terrapin Tree Hugger, which was probably my least favorite of these.
23.07.2013 - 20:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 23.07.2013 at 19:48

Written by BitterCOld on 23.07.2013 at 18:21

I still haven't had Hopslam, it's one of the two at the top of my "Must Try" list along with Pliny the Elder.

I'll have to keep a lookout for those the next time I'm getting a mix-and-match six-pack at one of the local larger beverage stores.

Another brewer I've been drinking a lot of lately is Terrapin out of Athens, Georgia. They are known for their Hopsecutioner IPA, which I enjoy, but I've also been drinking their Rye Pale Ale, which is pretty good. I also picked up a few bottles of their altbier-style Terrapin Tree Hugger, which was probably my least favorite of these.

You'll likely never see Pliny, it's made in CA and doesn't even get regular distribution to AZ. I'm trying to bug some of my beer nerd friends to bring me a bottle - but it's all too often "allocated stock" - one of those that you have to ask at the help desk for and only get one per customer per day.

Hop Slam is also often allocated and is a seasonal - available roughly the first quarter of the year.

I do recommend their Two Hearted. It sort of straddles the Pale Ale/IPA line. My wife loves it, I'd buy it more if it weren't usually around $12 a sixer. When the sale price is more than what I'll pay for Dale's or Deschutes, it's a rare purchase.
----

23.07.2013 - 20:33
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 23.07.2013 at 20:16

Hop Slam is also often allocated and is a seasonal - available roughly the first quarter of the year.

I don't know if you guys have something similar out West, but down here in the South their is this restaurant chain called Taco Mac, it's a large sports bar type eatery, and they usually have about 100 beers on draft and approximately 100 to 150 in the bottle at their locations. They are always getting seasonal stuff in, so they are one of the ways I keep up with some of the seasonal brews. They also have this Brewniversity program, which rewards patrons for trying different beers. It's good because it incentivises people who might not normally order something beyond a Miller Light to try something different.
23.07.2013 - 20:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 23.07.2013 at 20:33

I don't know if you guys have something similar out West, but down here in the South their is this restaurant chain called Taco Mac, it's a large sports bar type eatery, and they usually have about 100 beers on draft and approximately 100 to 150 in the bottle at their locations. They are always getting seasonal stuff in, so they are one of the ways I keep up with some of the seasonal brews. They also have this Brewniversity program, which rewards patrons for trying different beers. It's good because it incentivises people who might not normally order something beyond a Miller Light to try something different.

there are probably some chains that have good beers - not aware of any in Tucson, but likely Phoenix and other metropolii.

I mostly look to local places anywho. i've gone on and on about 1702. 50 or so beers on tap, constantly rotating with no PBR's/buds. the owner gets lots of rare beers - in some cases the only one in the SW. to top it all off, he prices low to boot. what he doesn't get per pint he gets in volume and customer loyalty. active enough on social media - let's fans know what's being tapped. been so successful he also helps run a craft beer tucson facebook page that actively promotes OTHER bars as well when they get something good in. the kind of place i'm happy to fork over my cash to!

i think we're spoiled now, Moby. 15 years ago I'd be ecstatic to see Fat Tire at a bar, and would be "happy" if i had to settle for Guinness or Killians.

now my friends and i use "Veto Power" on our wives dinner suggestions if they don't have a dozen quality beers on tap.
----

24.07.2013 - 16:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW does I am omly one who has seen this:
When you open modern lager or pilsener, like Heine and Carly Bergy , 2-3 minutes and its not possible to drink, it gets warm and taste like shit
When you try old fasion rauchbier, even real german lagers, also stouts, porters, and those old school underated beers, even in hot summer day you can chil, sit 1 hour whit beer in glass and its possible to drink, ok it lost its taste when its warm, but not so much, I have been sitting outside whit rauchbier from Bamberg in sun is like 30¤C and 1h and beer taste OK, same taste and smell, but those modern beers 2-4 minutes and they taste like shit?
Why is that?
----

apos;'
[image]
29.07.2013 - 09:45
xmadman
I am from Byron Bay, Australia, there is a local brewery called stone and wood, and I love their beer.
30.07.2013 - 00:23
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 24.07.2013 at 16:42

When you open modern lager or pilsener, like Heine and Carly Bergy , 2-3 minutes and its not possible to drink, it gets warm and taste like shit

Well I'm sure the heat doesn't help, but those are just crap beers in general to me. I bought a six-pack of Carlsberg five or six years ago when I was still in college and it tasted awful still cold from the fridge inside my air-conditioned apartment and it didn't get any better as time went on after I opened the bottle. Was probably the worst beer buy I've ever made.
17.08.2013 - 03:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tryd french wheat beer, I dunno name because on lable and corck has 1664 only and its small blue bottle, I realy like blue bottle, and little bit smell of the beer, but beer was untasty, week and I dunno, I will never buy it again

eddit:

Trooper ale os in Swedish alcohol stores
Todays beer (swedish porter at 18:00

Gotlans Brigeri Sleepy Buldog pale Ale
It was good one, good ale, I cant judge it m but I like it, I need more to judge

Home:
11:00
Grozet wheat ale
awesome, old school taste, taste to me like home made, bottle says its old traditions, and wheat was used , so I love it

13:00
Froach ale - it is like home made beer, ale, its good but not 300 bottle, way to much I need more, but still good
----

apos;'
[image]
18.08.2013 - 19:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Scots Pine Ale (Alba Triple)
Marcel and Bitter will make a fun about me, but this is best ale, I ever have drunk, awesome, werry rare and unique taste, best drink in room's tempreture, from wine glass, realy this is best ale, I ever have drink , seriuslly

Ebulum - Elderbery Black Ale
Good black ale, I hardly can get those here, its like dark lager, my style, I like it , but since I drunk pine ale, I cant compare,
----

apos;'
[image]
20.08.2013 - 16:55
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Picked up a six-pack of Bell's Oberon. It's one of Bell's seasonal brews for summertime. It's a smooth wheat ale, and I have to say it's pretty good. Being a summer ale, it's not so light that it is bland, and has a nice hint of citrus flavors without much after taste. It's definitely not a bad summer beer. It's just too bad the summer has been so mild and wet here that I can't really get outside to grill anything to go with it.
21.08.2013 - 08:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Not likely to come to AZ, hoping a friend can score for me... High On Fire + 3 Floyds Brewing = Razorhoof

----

21.08.2013 - 19:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tryd trooper, I would say its overated and so exenice, each day its sold out here, I was lucky get 2 bottles
taste is ok, good ale, ordinary ale, but what can I say trooper and iron maiden name makes it oveareted, if it would be hmmm Kentish strong ale or other ale it will not be so sold out
taste is typial ale, drinkable actually
----

apos;'
[image]
05.09.2013 - 06:34
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Picked up a few different brews at the store this week. I tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale, which was pretty good. The taste was very reminiscent of Sweet Water's IPA, so I'll probably stick with that as my usual IPA.

I am also drinking at this moment Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, which is very smooth, dark and has hints of chocolate and licorice flavor. I'm liking this one a lot. As far as stouts go, this one is very subtle. The flavors don't just hit you like a hammer but reveal themselves slowly. Good thing I got a couple bottles.

While in my journey to dark beer realm this week, I also had Founders Porter. This was also very smooth and delicious. I would highly recommend it.

Curiosity got the best of me as I picked up Wells Banana Bread Beer too. It was meh. The impulse buy was probably due to my love of my mother's banana bread. The taste was very like banana bread but it tasted very artificial.
05.09.2013 - 12:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well's Banana Bread beer is pretty unpleasant stuff to be honest. Some people really like it bafflingly.
05.09.2013 - 12:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.09.2013 at 12:17

Well's Banana Bread beer is pretty unpleasant stuff to be honest. Some people really like it bafflingly.

I've had it and it's truly horrible stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.09.2013 - 01:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Leffe Bruine/Bruin
Brown
I only know Blond, but this was good, blavk beer, good tastre, typical black beer taste, I enjoy it a lot
I wanna try Tripple, Leffe Noël/Kerstbier(Christmass) and Leffe Printemps/Lentebier(Spring beer)
I heard they started at 2013 2 new types Nectar and Royal, I wonder how does tehy taste
There was 9 degries strong and others t, but I enjoiyn my brown

EDDIT:
Nils Oscar Rökporter (smoke porter)

when I opened a bootle I thought, not again, another typisk swedish beer, litle better, but, in the end after it was standing open, it becaim british style taste and damn awesome
Soon I will buy more

EDDIT
Young Double Chokolate Stout
awesoem stout you canr ealy feel chokolate taste when you are drinking it

EDDIT
Abbot Ale - deavent ale, easy, light, party ale, I can drink it a lot
I drunk from can (I mean can wersion from the glass) it was OK, but this was like more remiands me lager. ale lager LOL

----

apos;'
[image]
14.09.2013 - 00:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
14.09.2013 - 20:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.09.2013 at 01:06

EDDIT

Found that a bit disappointing. I've had better chocolate stouts.
14.09.2013 - 20:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.09.2013 at 20:39

Written by Bad English on 06.09.2013 at 01:06

EDDIT

it is an okay to good chocolate stout but there are indeed way better chocolate stouts and porters around. For example the Meantime Chocolate Porter.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2013 - 20:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.09.2013 at 20:39

concerning Young's and especially this chocolate stout of theirs, their beers used to be a lot better up to about six, seven years ago. Especially their double chocolate stout. Don't know what happened, might have to do with a new brewery or installation or starting to brew more litres per brew. Upsizing the scale is Always troublesome for these sorts of beers. Let's say instead of 500 litres you go and brew 1000 litres per brewing session (so having bigger kettles and such) you cannot just multiply all the ingredients for the beer by two.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2013 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yes please I give you my home adress or my bank account you fill it whit monmey or send me those drinks
I just boght what I saw in the booze store

BTW your opnium about oktober fest bier what they made specally for ok
----

apos;'
[image]
15.09.2013 - 02:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

Good, strong drinkable porter but if I need chose between YETI stout and this I will choose YETI, but dont get me wrong this also is wery good drink
'
----

apos;'
[image]
15.09.2013 - 04:58
-Quatropus-
Born in America, we obviously aren't granted the large amount of beer from outside so I don't have many to work with. For me though, the only one I can drink is Yuengling but only draft. I have a hard time enjoying beer in the first place but when I do I drink from glasses and not from bottles or cans.