Metal Storm logo
Doom is/isnt an extreme metal genre

Poll

whats your opinion? commonly its extreme or not?

I dont care!
No
Yeah

Total votes: 151
17.10.2009 - 21:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Yes its true! doom metal is an extreme and its not an extreme genre, but when someone asks you suddenly, you answer its or its not? thats why I didnt put both.

for me its an extereme metal genre cause it sounds like Death Doom for me always! lol vote!!!!!!!
17.10.2009 - 21:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well it depends of course about what sort of doom we are talking about

Not that I care though. Because I like almost all sorts of doom

Death doom I wouldn't call extreme but Doom death I would call extreme, also black doom, drone doom and some forms of sludge. But of course tradiontal doom, epic doom, gothic doom, stoner doom aren't.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 21:38
InnerSelf
proofread free
Can you actually involve every Doom metal band under the term of "Doom metal"
Some are realy extreme
and some .. well ........... Hell NO
and it is not all Death Doom
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 21:46
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 21:36

Death doom I wouldn't call extreme but Doom death I would call extreme, also black doom, drone doom and some forms of sludge. But of course tradiontal doom, epic doom, gothic doom, stoner doom aren't.

except Funeral... yeah i think some doom is extreme and some isn't depends on the band... for example i think the early my dying bride is extreme but the later MDB isn't
17.10.2009 - 21:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Huhuhu it depends but not in this thread lol! chooooose
17.10.2009 - 21:49
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Stuart on 17.10.2009 at 21:46

except Funeral... yeah i think some doom is extreme and some isn't depends on the band... for example i think the early my dying bride is extreme but the later MDB isn't

I think so about MDB too
and about bands that are realy Extreme : Corrupted
man... they are more extreme than many other bands from many geners
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 21:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant asnver to this, because doom is doom it cant be non extreme like The 3th and the mortal and cant be extreme like Ataraxie so it depends , what genre and what band so simply I ansver doom is doom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2009 - 21:57
Symmachus
Some of doom metal I would classify extreme, and some I wouldn't. The production would indeed be a factor in this, however.
17.10.2009 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stuart on 17.10.2009 at 21:46

I forgot funeral doom, which is mostly extreme as well

Yes, I agree on My Dying Bride they used to play doom death then turned to death doom and now almost gothic doom at times.
Btw paradise Lost'sfirst one can also be clssified as extreme imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 22:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Symmachus on 17.10.2009 at 21:57

Some of doom metal I would classify extreme, and some I wouldn't. The production would indeed be a factor in this, however.

I don't consider the production to be a factor here. For me whether doom is extreme or not is all dependent on the music played.
Ataraxie has a very clean production but certainly is extreme whereas Rote Mare has a very minimal sort of production and is melodic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 22:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Who the fuck cares? there's good bands and awful bands in every genre(except those that aren't metal, DUH), focus on them not whether the genre is extreme/melodic etc.
17.10.2009 - 22:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 17.10.2009 at 22:11

Who the fuck cares? there's good bands and awful bands in every genre(except those that aren't metal, DUH), focus on them not whether the genre is extreme/melodic etc.

I dont care reminds me John Tardy huhuhuhu, and its death metal and an extreme one for sure, it was a fuckin lie!!! dont vote for it ppl lol cause I DONT CAAAAAAAAAAAre. lol
17.10.2009 - 22:29
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 22:09

Written by Symmachus on 17.10.2009 at 21:57

I don't consider the production to be a factor here. For me whether doom is extreme or not is all dependent on the music played.
Ataraxie has a very clean production but certainly is extreme whereas Rote Mare has a very minimal sort of production and is melodic.

personaly i think that production is never a factor when it comes to extremity.
17.10.2009 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stuart on 17.10.2009 at 22:29

True, btw, a very clear production can even totally kill of something which could have bene extreme. Just look at so-called brutal death metal bands with clean production, most of them aren't extreme at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 22:35
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 22:30

Written by Stuart on 17.10.2009 at 22:29

True, btw, a very clear production can even totally kill of something which could have bene extreme. Just look at so-called brutal death metal bands with clean production, most of them aren't extreme at all.

i disagree... maybe it is affected by how it produced in terms of guitar sound, and vocal effects but that is nothing to do with how clean it is, it has to do with how much you fucked with the music.... for example the first deicide album would still be extreme if it was re-recorded with a better production... perhaps even more extreme...
17.10.2009 - 22:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Stuart maybe it's better to discuss this outside this thread since this is about extreme and non-extreme doom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 22:49
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
This is a terrible topic. Who gives a shit whether its extreme or not? If its great music, does anyone really care?
17.10.2009 - 23:02
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Doom metal without any joining is not an extreme metal .
17.10.2009 - 23:11
TheBigRossowski
I voted ''I don't care'' because it's truly unimportant. Genres are important only to have some kind of oranization to your tastes. When someone says to me they like black metal, I can assume they mean anything from Darkthrone to Deathspell Omega.

But the word ''extreme'' has different boundaries for different people. I once told someone I liked extreme metal (to avoid confusion with other shit) and they said ''okay, like Iron Maiden, right?''. Ughh.... is Iron Maiden EXTREME? Well, shit, man, ugh, ugh, obviously it's only a matter of opinion.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
17.10.2009 - 23:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

if we use % there less bad bands in doom how other genres so ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2009 - 23:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Don't care.

using our broad forums here, doom can easily spread from melodic (Candlemass) to extreme (Esoteric) to alternative (Sleep) forums.

to me this poll is on par with the op's other "is doom an original genre or not" poll... pointless.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.10.2009 - 23:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by TheBigRossowski on 17.10.2009 at 23:11

I voted ''I don't care'' because it's truly unimportant. Genres are important only to have some kind of oranization to your tastes. When someone says to me they like black metal, I can assume they mean anything from Darkthrone to Deathspell Omega.

But the word ''extreme'' has different boundaries for different people. I once told someone I liked extreme metal (to avoid confusion with other shit) and they said ''okay, like Iron Maiden, right?''. Ughh.... is Iron Maiden EXTREME? Well, shit, man, ugh, ugh, obviously it's only a matter of opinion.

hmmm, true and thats why I wanna know what ppl think about it, its not important if a band is extreme or not or a genre. for me Doom is extreme cause extreme metal fans like doom metal. Ive seen less ppl who are just in love with Doom or start with Doom. its not an easy genre to listen to!
but all in all for experts and who are into metal for along time ago maybe its not so important but for new ones its very important man, I mean Genres.
17.10.2009 - 23:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't care... I like Doom and that's all I need to know tbh. It could be called "music for kids" and I still would like it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2009 - 07:37
Well I voted yes because most of the time we are talking about death doom (anathema, my dying bride, paradise lost, katatonia, etc.) though I know I might get bashed because everyone says that genres and clasifications doesn't matter and all that... I know that, but I think that most of the time doom is extreme, because of the death metal influences (but I also keep in mind that all of the bands I mentioned changed their sound towards something not "extreme"). Anyways, I would love it even if its called "music for kids" like Mr. Doctor said
18.10.2009 - 08:52
Jan

Genres are important only to have some kind of oranization to your tastes. When someone says to me they like black metal, I can assume they mean anything from Darkthrone to Deathspell Omega.

Yeah - but doom as a genre label works badly imho. Personally I love some kinds of doom (Trad, epic) and really don't care much for other more extreme kinds (Funeral, death, sludge etc). So if someone says to me that they like doom, I would not really know what they mean precisely.

In response to the topic question: Some types are clearly extreme, but doom as an overall genre is diverse and you can't really say that whole genre is extreme as such.
18.10.2009 - 12:11
Glabrezu
Many Doom metal bands headlined or played extreme metal festivals. Even if Doom universe is very large, imo it's an extreme genre for the themes, the lyrics and the emotions that it generally involves. A band to be extreme doesnt need to play at 250 bpm, to put blast beats everywhere or to use growling/screaming vocals.
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
18.10.2009 - 13:10
TheBigRossowski
Written by Jan on 18.10.2009 at 08:52

Genres are important only to have some kind of oranization to your tastes. When someone says to me they like black metal, I can assume they mean anything from Darkthrone to Deathspell Omega.

Yeah - but doom as a genre label works badly imho. Personally I love some kinds of doom (Trad, epic) and really don't care much for other more extreme kinds (Funeral, death, sludge etc). So if someone says to me that they like doom, I would not really know what they mean precisely.

In response to the topic question: Some types are clearly extreme, but doom as an overall genre is diverse and you can't really say that whole genre is extreme as such.

I know what you mean, man. It's the same in every genre when the people don't really know what they're talking about. I was at the Absu show and some dude was telling me a bit about the first band, Zoroaster, which I had never heard of. He said "it's just basically doom", but that leaves some space for discussion. When I got in there, I was expecting something simply doomy. For those familiar with Zoroaster, it's clearly more Sludge... and indeed, an awesome show.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
18.10.2009 - 13:15
Elio
Red Nightmare

This, except the part in brackets -.-
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.10.2009 - 15:39
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Can't decide.
18.10.2009 - 17:37
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by bloodwrage on 17.10.2009 at 22:49

This is a terrible topic. Who gives a shit whether its extreme or not? If its great music, does anyone really care?

I totally second these opinions
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep