Metal Storm logo
Doom is/isnt an extreme metal genre

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.10.2009 - 21:31
Yes its true! doom metal is an extreme and its not an extreme genre, but when someone asks you suddenly, you answer its or its not? thats why I didnt put both.

for me its an extereme metal genre cause it sounds like Death Doom for me always! lol vote!!!!!!!

Poll

whats your opinion? commonly its extreme or not?

I dont care!
No
Yeah

Total votes: 151
18.11.2009 - 18:57
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BrightNight on 17.11.2009 at 17:57

I think Doom metal is most of the time not Extreme in terms of sound and spreed although it can be heavy as hell. But not if you use the term "extreme" as in music, like brutal death metal.

But emotions can be pretty extreme right? In this case i think Doom metal can be very extreme, think about how extreme-depressive some of the ambiance and lyrical content can be. In this case i think it is a extreme form of metal.

It also got a lot to do which bands we are talking about in the doom scene ofcourse.

this is exactly right, a lot of ppl who I know just love metal cause of its sound! a lot of them dont know the lyrics and the phylosophy behind the songs. if you just classify music just by instrumets yes Doom is not extreme maybe (oftenly)
18.11.2009 - 22:03
BrightNight
Written by Guest on 18.11.2009 at 18:57

Written by BrightNight on 17.11.2009 at 17:57

I think Doom metal is most of the time not Extreme in terms of sound and spreed although it can be heavy as hell. But not if you use the term "extreme" as in music, like brutal death metal.

But emotions can be pretty extreme right? In this case i think Doom metal can be very extreme, think about how extreme-depressive some of the ambiance and lyrical content can be. In this case i think it is a extreme form of metal.

It also got a lot to do which bands we are talking about in the doom scene ofcourse.

this is exactly right, a lot of ppl who I know just love metal cause of its sound! a lot of them dont know the lyrics and the phylosophy behind the songs. if you just classify music just by instrumets yes Doom is not extreme maybe (oftenly)

Yes, totally agree. Lots of people like to classify music by the way it "sounds" without even paying attention to the lyrics.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
13.12.2009 - 05:31
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Well of course there are so many different kinds of doom that it depends on what type of doom we are talking about. But I DO believe that the number of doom bands that falls under extreme metal outnumbers the "non-extreme" ones by far.
----
21.12.2009 - 03:32
the stranger
I don't care. In fact, such a question has never risen to my head. Doom is doom, as simple as that.
21.12.2009 - 07:47
The Shape
Written by the stranger on 21.12.2009 at 03:32

I don't care. In fact, such a question has never risen to my head. Doom is doom, as simple as that.

I agree 100%
----
21.12.2009 - 08:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
The question isnt about Doom is Doom or not. Dont care fair enough!
27.10.2011 - 23:50
king_matt
So Black Sabbath is considered extreme metal now?
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.10.2011 - 23:57
IronAngel
Thank you for resurrecting an utterly banal and pointless topic. >_>

The question is absurd, and can only result in absurd replies or trivial replies concerning semantics. Please let this die.
28.10.2011 - 00:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by king_matt on 27.10.2011 at 23:50

so Black Sabbath is singularly representative of EVERY band in the genre?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.10.2011 - 00:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 28.10.2011 at 00:04

Obvs! Don't you know anything?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.10.2011 - 00:06
king_matt

Written by king_matt on 27.10.2011 at 23:50

Yes...
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.10.2011 - 00:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by king_matt on 28.10.2011 at 00:06

Yes...

i beg to differ.

thanks for rezzing a long dormant, stupid thread and adding even MORE stupidity to it.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.10.2011 - 02:24
ToMegaTherion
It depends on the band, doom metal is one of the most abstract genres in terms of sound, with the single qualification being that its more or less depressive. But this is why I hate it when people take genres too seriously. For example Candlemess and Black Sabbath both qualify as 'Doom Metal' yet they sound nothing alike. Even worse than genre distinctions is the even more abstract and even less informative Melodic/Extreme distinction which some people treat just as seriously as genre distinctions. Its pointless it tells little about the music and informs the listener even less of its style.
28.10.2011 - 02:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Candlemass doesn't sound too dissimilar to Sabbath's doom.

the more extreme acts are a much bigger departure. see: Esoteric, for example.
----

29.10.2011 - 20:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Yes...

LOL

That is all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2011 - 04:17
whatsacow
Doom in itsaelf isnt extreme. However, funeral doom and death doom (among other genres) are.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.11.2011 - 21:53
Oaken
Hipster
In my opinion, classifying doom is like classifying thrash. It could be softer and closer to melodic metal (Anthrax, Forbidden), but it can also be brutal and violent (Kreator, Slayer). I think that doom metal bands with no or very little growling and melodic guitar playing might be classified called melodic metal, while funeral doom and death/doom are definitely extreme genres.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.01.2012 - 02:25
lordchadi
This is the first time to me to no that black sabbath are doom metal i thought they r just hard rock or barely heavy

i was thinking that doom is like the earlier work of sepultura all the albums before chaos a.d.
15.01.2012 - 03:02
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Yeah, and also I don't care. Doom deals with pessimism, and pessimism isn't a melodic thing...
15.01.2012 - 10:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.01.2012 at 03:02
...and pessimism isn't a melodic thing...

Anathema have something to say about that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2012 - 10:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by lordchadi on 15.01.2012 at 02:25
i was thinking that doom is like the earlier work of sepultura

What? :/
----
15.01.2012 - 11:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
You know, brah, they is teh Troops o' Doom, after all.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.01.2012 - 11:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Depends on which sub-type of doom. It seems to vary.
I also think a lot of thrash isn't extreme (only 1 of the big 4 appear extreme to me).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.05.2012 - 18:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.10.2011 at 20:56

Yes...

LOL

That is all.

I may not know much about domm, but that's funny

That's like saying Metallica represents all thrash metal haha
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.05.2012 - 22:02
Darkfiber
"Doom" is too vast of a genre for such a statement, I think. On one hand, you have the flowery hippie "stoner" side of doom, and on the other, you have dark, black, evil sounding "funeral" doom with harsh vocals and black metal influences. I would say the latter gears more towards extreme metal than the former.
09.05.2012 - 08:16
bran
Written by Glabrezu on 18.10.2009 at 12:11

Many Doom metal bands headlined or played extreme metal festivals. Even if Doom universe is very large, imo it's an extreme genre for the themes, the lyrics and the emotions that it generally involves. A band to be extreme doesnt need to play at 250 bpm, to put blast beats everywhere or to use growling/screaming vocals.

couldnt agree more. iam not huge for labeling stuff extreme or whatnot but doom metal has a lot of dark lyrics be it about drug abuse,depression,suicide etc i dont think music needs to be growling vocals or blast beats to be extreme
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
09.05.2012 - 08:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by bran on 09.05.2012 at 08:16
i dont think music needs to be growling vocals or blast beats to be extreme

So if Fairyland wrote a song about suicide you'd consider it extreme metal?
----
09.05.2012 - 09:48
bran
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 08:44

Written by bran on 09.05.2012 at 08:16
i dont think music needs to be growling vocals or blast beats to be extreme

So if Fairyland wrote a song about suicide you'd consider it extreme metal?

didnt know fairyland was an entire genre of music.
extreme means alot to different people, some think all it takes it to play as fast as possible and having deep gutteral vocals is extreme. some its more about lyrics and lyrical themes.

extreme means differnet things to different people, just because you dont find something to be extreme doesnt mean its not extreme to someone else. i dont find cannibal corpse to be that extreme but a song about feeling hopeless and wishing for death to be extreme
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
09.05.2012 - 10:50
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 08:44

So if Fairyland wrote a song about suicide

Yea, I could totally see that work.

"When you're feeling down,
don't even try to fix that frown,
get on your unicorn and fly high,
jump down when you reach the sky"
09.05.2012 - 12:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by bran on 09.05.2012 at 09:48
didnt know fairyland was an entire genre of music.
extreme means alot to different people, some think all it takes it to play as fast as possible and having deep gutteral vocals is extreme. some its more about lyrics and lyrical themes.

The problem is tha we are talking about extreme music, not extreme lyrics. But oh well, some people feel like the lyrics reflect the music too which I disagree with. In the case you don't understand the lyrics then you can only go for the music as it won't matter if the dude/girl sings about flowers or suicidal feelings as you won'ät understand them anyway.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.