Metal Storm logo
Doom is/isnt an extreme metal genre

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.10.2009 - 21:31
Yes its true! doom metal is an extreme and its not an extreme genre, but when someone asks you suddenly, you answer its or its not? thats why I didnt put both.

for me its an extereme metal genre cause it sounds like Death Doom for me always! lol vote!!!!!!!

Poll

whats your opinion? commonly its extreme or not?

I dont care!
No
Yeah

Total votes: 151
18.10.2009 - 19:05
FOOCK Nam
I like this topic, well recently I have a thought like "Extreme", what is it ? My own definition is: romantic extreme is not extreme, yeah even somehow, when Marcel said or like he enjoys Extreme doom because of hate/hatred/etc, yeah that can be say extreme, but almost reason why I like doom because it is so Beautiful, even some bands like The Funeral Orchestra, cold as fuck but I dont consider its as extreme, to me I feel "Extreme" is more toward on violent, and well for the doom music, you know, not all of it are fast (never listened to Corrupted...), and I dont like or feel Sunn O))) or most famous drone doom are not violent. If you listen to Deep Well Of Horror a drone band, Im pretty sure it is more beautiful. Doom death, well, not have digged it so much, but it is more cold than violent. I feel very curious about one band classified as grindcore/doom by doom-metal, but never digged it, so no comment for that.

To me, extreme is like Anaal Nathrakh atme, or even some metalcore bands, (excuse for offending, ).

Conclusionly, doom metal is not extreme genre for me.
18.10.2009 - 19:32
Overlord_PT
Yeah doom isnt extreme for me either
19.10.2009 - 01:10
ToMegaTherion
It depends typically I consider it extreme, but on the lesser end of the scale in that respect. But it dosn't really matter, it is a very good genre which ever category it falls under.
19.10.2009 - 14:02
Ofcrs it is an extreme genre of metal! Metal means sth more than Thrash Metal... Based on that doom is not an extreme genre of metal ... Metallica is a Metal band and My Dying Bride is not! My Dying Bride is much more metal! ....
DOOM IS ONE OF THE BEST GENRES OF METAL. AND IT IS EXTREMELY METAL! MUCH MORE THAN METAL CORE AND PROGRESSIVE !!!!
19.10.2009 - 16:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 18.10.2009 at 19:05

It depends a lot tbh... Romantic stuff is not gonna be extreme. But bands like Esoteric are for sure damn extreme and also Sludge Doom. Some drone bands can also be extreme such as Khanate And Khlyst
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.10.2009 - 16:47
FOOCK Nam
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.10.2009 at 16:30

Written by FOOCK Nam on 18.10.2009 at 19:05

It depends a lot tbh... Romantic stuff is not gonna be extreme. But bands like Esoteric are for sure damn extreme and also Sludge Doom. Some drone bands can also be extreme such as Khanate And Khlyst

Yeah dude, Everyone to each OWN, . I like Estoeric, it is very beautiful but yeah can mix more other feeling, I do not dig too much Sludge Doom so I cant say but I find as few bands I listened it is very ugly, but ugly beautifully <----weird, right? Some bands like Neurosis I feel like that. Khanate and Khlyst is very ugly and extreme uglily, Im not sure but I remember 100% there is a band which have female member playing drone like Khanate but more extremer cause the female vocal is very beautiful but her voice is "crazy mentally disoder" as scary coldest , to me, Seriously. Marcel should know her seems he doesnt believe good screaming voice of female.
19.10.2009 - 17:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Neurosis isn't doom though.

Well, I don't need to explain more about why I disagree. Saying that all doom isn't extreme is like saying all Grindcore is gore. But yeah, tagging music isn't really interestin geither.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.10.2009 - 18:28
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
It is an extreme genre because of its extreme nature of content, profound lyrics, and the layered atmospheres and obscure song structures that a lot of bands go for.
19.10.2009 - 20:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.10.2009 at 18:28

It is an extreme genre because of its extreme nature of content, profound lyrics, and the layered atmospheres and obscure song structures that a lot of bands go for.

we can understand eachother man!
19.10.2009 - 21:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.10.2009 at 17:31

But yeah, tagging music isn't really interesting either.

I disagree.

I personally have loads of fun thinking of (silly) tags for my favourite bands. 'Cosmic Black metal', 'Funeral Jazz' or 'Psychedelic Drone Doom'... just sounds incredibly awesome, doesn't it?

I just don't understand the people that take it all so serious.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.10.2009 - 21:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lucas on 19.10.2009 at 21:22

the anal obsessive-compulsive types when it comes to genre-naming are highly amusing to me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.10.2009 - 21:30
Ragana
Rawrcat

just sounds incredibly awesome, doesn't it?

Nah.

Truly, I have no idea whether doom is extreme or not and it hasn't bothered me so far... (yeah, and I'm currently bored and not willing to do my homework), so I was honest and answered 'I don't care!'. So, did I make the world better?
19.10.2009 - 21:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.10.2009 at 21:29

the anal obsessive-compulsive types when it comes to genre-naming are highly amusing to me.

true, me too. but extreme or not is a biger view than Genre! its a little huge !
20.10.2009 - 05:14
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by ToMegaTherion on 19.10.2009 at 01:10

It depends typically I consider it extreme, but on the lesser end of the scale in that respect. But it dosn't really matter, it is a very good genre which ever category it falls under.

I just believe "it is a very good genre which ever category it falls under."
But I voted 'No'!
----
Last.fm
20.10.2009 - 12:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

I disagree.

I personally have loads of fun thinking of (silly) tags for my favourite bands. 'Cosmic Black metal', 'Funeral Jazz' or 'Psychedelic Drone Doom'... just sounds incredibly awesome, doesn't it?

Well, I guess I needed to explain myself better. The matter is not something that people should fight about. But yeah... Hearing some people saying Pirate Metal, War Metal and Flamenco Metal [?] is kinda funny
I'm gonna miss your avatar dude...
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.10.2009 - 14:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Both I guess, depends on what bands we're talking about. And those who insist that the whole genre is extreme are those metalheads who believes in good old "the more extreme, the cooler you are".
----
20.10.2009 - 18:54
TheBigRossowski

I disagree.

Cosmic Black metal is definitely my favorite genre right now

Even though I voted ''I don't care'' some time ago, I think doom is leaning more to the extreme side of metal. It really depends more on the sub-genre though. Of course black doom is extreme, but could one really classify doom like Warning as extreme? Extreme in the sense that I wine like that emo bitch about the cancellation of his World of Warcraft game, yes.

Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 18:31

Stupid (fucking) topic

Do you have to use sa' many cuss words, Dude?

What the fuck are you talking about.?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
20.10.2009 - 23:12
soadbyob
Account deleted
Doom isnt really extreme (defining extreme as death/black metal), but is still pretty fuckin metal
21.10.2009 - 14:21
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
So can we open a topic about doom metal in the extreme metal arena? for example about a death doom metal band?

here is where you cant say this is a useless topic cause in metalstorm staff decided to call it a unExtreme genre. here is where you can say its important man! this is a calssification and we wanna know whats the ppl's view about it.
21.10.2009 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
First open it in the melodic forum and then we'll see if the band is extreme enough to be moved to the extreme forum (like I did with The Funeral Orchestra thread)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 21:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 19:18

First open it in the melodic forum and then we'll see if the band is extreme enough to be moved to the extreme forum (like I did with The Funeral Orchestra thread)

to be honest its not so important for me Marcel !!! just opened this poll cause found it fun. really its not so important if someone thinks a Genre like Doom isnt Extreme man! I dont even know whats the meaning of Extereme lol! Extreme means more distortion or what? for me Atmosphere is more important than Flashy things!
22.10.2009 - 05:06
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 21.10.2009 at 21:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 19:18

I dont even know whats the meaning of Extereme lol! Extreme means more distortion or what? for me Atmosphere is more important than

The meaning of the extreme in your mind is: you know the meaning of it is has meaning but you know you dont knows and you like it because you says "lol", and you know it means mor distortion or something different "what" and dont worry you will find out because doom is very nice to give you the power to find out, and maybe because it is extreme so it gives you the power to find out, or doom is not extreme because it has the atmophere importantly,
22.10.2009 - 10:19
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Guest on 19.10.2009 at 18:28

Same thoughts here man. I think doom goes out of the boundries that mainstream metal fits into, it's still thankfully fairly underground and it's that way for a reason, mostly due to what is quoted.
22.10.2009 - 13:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 22.10.2009 at 10:19

it's still thankfully fairly underground

I can guarantee you it is underground (except for one or two bands). I will bet my left and right hand that coming weekend Dutch Doom Days won't be sold out although the club only holds 500 people max. Even last year's edition didn't sell out.
And to be honest, and i know this will sound elitist, I prefer it to stay as underground as it is now (okay it is allowed to grow a bit more cause sometimes attendance numbers are simply pathetic). No hassle getting tickets for a show, no as many annoying morons (well some, but you will have a couple) at gigs as in the black, death, other scenes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2009 - 18:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.10.2009 at 13:59

And to be honest, and i know this will sound elitist, I prefer it to stay as underground as it is now (okay it is allowed to grow a bit more cause sometimes attendance numbers are simply pathetic). No hassle getting tickets for a show, no as many annoying morons (well some, but you will have a couple) at gigs as in the black, death, other scenes.

I agree here, I really think Doom seems great with the Audience it has right now. And the fact that those kind of shows don't seel out it makes it really confortable to just buy the ticket without big worries.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2009 - 13:35
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
It depends !! doom metal mostly never played itself !!its always played mixed with ( gothic - death - black - ..)
so when its mixed with gothic then its under extreme line
when its played with death or black it become extreme style !!
funeral doom metal its the quite complicated genre !! though i call blackned doom !! but anyways funeral doom its extreme either as those mentioned above !!
doom metal alone with no mix !! it sucks and dont have no meaning !!
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
01.11.2009 - 19:01
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Kimiwind on 01.11.2009 at 13:35

You mean bands like Solitude Aeturnus ,Isole and Candlemass
Yes they suck
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.11.2009 - 13:47
THE_BLACKANKRA@
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 01.11.2009 at 19:01

Yes they suck

Candlemass sux? what the fuck are you talking about? lol you liten to doom metal or not? huhu
04.11.2009 - 15:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 03.11.2009 at 13:47

Written by InnerSelf on 01.11.2009 at 19:01

Yes they suck

Candlemass sux? what the fuck are you talking about? lol you liten to doom metal or not? huhu

Joking Joking Joking Joking
Wasn't it clear enough
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.11.2009 - 17:57
BrightNight
I think Doom metal is most of the time not Extreme in terms of sound and spreed although it can be heavy as hell. But not if you use the term "extreme" as in music, like brutal death metal.

But emotions can be pretty extreme right? In this case i think Doom metal can be very extreme, think about how extreme-depressive some of the ambiance and lyrical content can be. In this case i think it is a extreme form of metal.

It also got a lot to do which bands we are talking about in the doom scene ofcourse.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."