‹‹ Back to the General forum Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34]
Users visited: 375  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Ernis on 22.09.2011 at 14:38
Estonia...

The parliament members will have to bear the difficult burden of receiving more money from now on. Their monthly income has now increased by 246 euros. The new salary alltogether will be 3380 euros per month. A shop assistant's monthly income is 246 euros. That means the increase of a parliament member's monthly income is as high as a shop assistant's monthly income. These days school teachers, fire fighters and others went to protest, to demand higher salary. People will wipe their tears seeing the poor firefighters who don't even have proper equipment and clothes any more, begging for someone to pay them a bit more. A friend of mine works at a restaurant, sometimes 12 hours a day and he only gets 300 euros a month. A school teacher admitted in an interview: "If I didn't have two jobs simultaneously, I wouldn't be able to have anything to eat at all."

They refuse to increase the income of working people... but they do increase their own...

And the president speaks that this country is a wonderful and victorious example of a state that has fought itself free from under an occupation. Free from occupation? It looks more like it's continuing...

Page 34 of 34

Mercyful_Kate

12.09.2014 at 02:18
9/11 jokes. I've been seeing them on my facebook feed all day. I understand that people are sick of the sensationalism and mourning, but holy crap! Innocent human beings died, and so many thereafter died at war in Afghanistan and Iraq. My friends who were boys grew up at war overseas. Some came back fucked up physically, others completely gone mentally. Every anniversary, I find myself reflecting on the way things were before that day and I cry for everything we've lost as individuals and as a society...and for what? 13 years later, it seems just as senseless and awful as it did then. I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's funny. Human loss and war are very real, sad things.
Mattybu
#Kony2012

12.09.2014 at 02:24
Written by Mercyful_Kate on 12.09.2014 at 02:18

9/11 jokes. I've been seeing them on my facebook feed all day. I understand that people are sick of the sensationalism and mourning, but holy crap! Innocent human beings died, and so many thereafter died at war in Afghanistan and Iraq. My friends who were boys grew up at war overseas. Some came back fucked up physically, others completely gone mentally. Every anniversary, I find myself reflecting on the way things were before that day and I cry for everything we've lost as individuals and as a society...and for what? 13 years later, it seems just as senseless and awful as it did then. I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's funny. Human loss and war are very real, sad things.

I agree, sometimes you just gotta stop trying to be edgy and think twice before making dumb jokes that accomplish little other than offending people. I guess as time goes by people have just sort of assumed that everyone is fine and dandy, despite the fact that 9/11 (whichever way you look at it, even if you do subscribe to conspiracy theories) was plain and simple one of the most horrible, awful, evil things to happen in modern history.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

12.09.2014 at 02:44
It's the same with holocaust jokes or racist jokes but I'll admit I enjoy hearing them if they're funny. Not much beats a politically incorrect joke. There's obviously a time and a place for them and you do have to make sure the person won't be offended by them.
Bad English
nobody

12.09.2014 at 02:56
Written by Mercyful_Kate on 12.09.2014 at 02:18

I agree whit it .. think what piss me of ppl really say it was inside job, well in MS we have one user who are happy all those ppl died , damn he pissed me of today good he hasn't log in long time ...11/09 was worst what happened, and I feel more sorry for NATO alies who died in Afga and Iraq, and came home mentally different, for useless war , so I am air strike supporter, as now to ISIS
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
Bad English
nobody

12.09.2014 at 02:57
Written by deadone on 12.09.2014 at 02:44

It's the same with holocaust jokes or racist jokes but I'll admit I enjoy hearing them if they're funny. Not much beats a politically incorrect joke. There's obviously a time and a place for them and you do have to make sure the person won't be offended by them.

I have heard only 2 nazie jokes in life, its , can you jump so and my friend is so tall (both cases you put arm as you salute hitler) ... in N Sweden nazie jokes are not popular and actually 11/09 as well, more less in facebook,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
Mercyful_Kate

12.09.2014 at 03:21

I honestly don't think that Holocaust jokes are funny either. It bothers me that people are so emotionally disconnected from each other that they no longer empathize with powerful emotional experiences like human suffering. I'm not saying that we have to constantly bring these things up or incorporate "remembrance" into our daily lives, but I believe that marginalizing catastrophes and human experiences for the "lulz" is at very least pointless, and at worst, disgustingly disrespectful.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

12.09.2014 at 03:26
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2014 at 02:57

I have heard only 2 nazie jokes in life, its , can you jump so and my friend is so tall (both cases you put arm as you salute hitler) ... in N Sweden nazie jokes are not popular and actually 11/09 as well, more less in facebook,

In Australia we "take the piss" out of everything including ourselves. Everything is fair game but only between friends. Political correctness has taken over the media for the most part but some exceptions remain.

However check out Pizza TV series - these guys made fun of men, women, whites and migrants of every ilk as well as various subcultural groups like bikers. It was all about extreme stereotypes. It eventually spawned several "spin offs" - Swift and Shift Couriers and Housos which poked fun at people living in government housing/

Kath and Kim was another more recent show that poked fun at everyday middle class Australians by portraying us as narcisstic, poorly educated idiots.

Funny stuff!
deadone
Mainstream Poser

12.09.2014 at 03:28
Written by Mercyful_Kate on 12.09.2014 at 03:21

I honestly don't think that Holocaust jokes are funny either. It bothers me that people are so emotionally disconnected from each other that they no longer empathize with powerful emotional experiences like human suffering. I'm not saying that we have to constantly bring these things up or incorporate "remembrance" into our daily lives, but I believe that marginalizing catastrophes and human experiences for the "lulz" is at very least pointless, and at worst, disgustingly disrespectful.

Geez not much left to laugh at if we get rid of anything involving human suffering or that could "offend" someone.

We're basically down to "why did the chicken cross the road?"

I've been shot at, bombed and lived in a bomb shelter for 6 months whilst the Serbs lay siege to our town. I am a migrant (a wog). If anyone's got some funnies about war or wogs, then bring it on.

EDIT: Just realised it was "9-11" yesterday. We don't regard it as important here as in USA plus our dating convention is different: day of month goes before month. If you said 9-11 in Australia, someone would sooner assume 9 November than 11 September.
Kennoth

12.09.2014 at 05:49
I don't even know where to begin. Let's put it this way: cultural shock. You were born and raised in a rich Western country, and then you come to a small backwards, somewhat impoverished European country, and you wonder how different things are. Well of course it's different. I'm not saying there isn't corruption in Croatia, in fact it's quite rampant. Generally the poorer the country, the bigger the corruption. It's easy to point fingers at "primitive Balkan people" from a well adjusted state that didn't suffer a devastating war twenty years back. That said, I think you're tying this with race and ethnicity too much instead of simple human nature, whether because of simple ignorance, or just pure stereotyping at its finest. Now I don't know if you're Jesus Christ himself, but I for one, given the opportunity, would probably try and gain additional income by somewhat nefarious means if I could get away with it, and if no one is hurt in the process. Maybe it's because I'm Croatian. Or maybe it's because it's a basic human nature 101. You can't tell me that shit doesn't happen everywhere, every time and keep a straight face. Remember, correlation does not imply causation. Seeing few intolerant, corrupt and controlling Croats does not mean that every Croat is like that. Actually, that's quite offensive.

Lastly, I'd like to put some perspective on this:

Written by deadone on 12.09.2014 at 02:15

And they're intolerant too - I get stares there for having tattoos. My wife gets stared at (apparently because she is non-Croat looking woman with a Croat looking guy according to my cousins).

Remember that cultural shock that I mentioned earlier? I'm gonna go on a limb and assume that you spoke with your wife in English. We don't get that a lot around here, especially if you were in an area that doesn't see many tourists. We don't see a lot of ethnic looking people either. Either of those could be the cause for the looks that your wife might have been getting. Unless the place you've been to is a village with 100 people, no one has any idea clue where exactly are you from, and no one gives a rats ass about your tattoos.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
deadone
Mainstream Poser

12.09.2014 at 07:54
Written by Kennoth on 12.09.2014 at 05:49

I don't even know where to begin. Let's put it this way: cultural shock. You were born and raised in a rich Western country, and then you come to a small backwards, somewhat impoverished European country, and you wonder how different things are.

Actually I was born in Croatia and was there during the war.

Quote:

Well of course it's different. I'm not saying there isn't corruption in Croatia, in fact it's quite rampant. Generally the poorer the country, the bigger the corruption. It's easy to point fingers at "primitive Balkan people" from a well adjusted state that didn't suffer a devastating war twenty years back.

It was corrupt before 1991 when Yugoslavia was a middle income country with incomes close to some of the poorer Western countries.

I'd say they got more arsebackawards with replacement of secular values with nutty Roman Catholisicsm and women seem to be getting relegated back to kitchen duties (same thing happened in Poland in terms of religious fundamentalism and growing gender inequality).

It's funny but one always hears Croats talking about how "Western" they are compared to Bosnians or Serbs but they're not.

Quote:

That said, I think you're tying this with race and ethnicity too much instead of simple human nature, whether because of simple ignorance, or just pure stereotyping at its finest.

Stereotypes have a degree of truth.

Quote:
You can't tell me that shit doesn't happen everywhere, every time and keep a straight face.

Sure corruption happens everywhere but it doesn't happen to the degree it happens in Croatia - there's a reason they were classed 2nd most corrupt by Ernst and Young after fellow Balkan state Slovenia. And they've rated high in just about every such data collection exercise.

Quote:
Remember, correlation does not imply causation. Seeing few intolerant, corrupt and controlling Croats does not mean that every Croat is like that. Actually, that's quite offensive.

Croatia wouldn't constantly be in the list of most corrupt countries in Europe if it was just "a few individuals". It's endemic.

As for intolerance, remember Croatia ethnically cleansed a huge chunk of it's Serb population.

When I told them about Australian multiculturalism, there was disdain. One of my aunties said "in Croatia we sing with one voice, worhsip one god, walk in one direction" and another stated how it was shocking that some people were so unpatriotic as to sell property to "Orthodox" Russians. And many of these fuckers were university educated, not some peasants living in the middle of nothing. And they weren't poor - at worst they were middle class and at best filthy, filthy rich.

And when I was at school I got constantly picked on for being an Australian cause I lived there for about 5 years! I only ever got picked on once in Australia for being a Croatian!

Quote:

Lastly, I'd like to put some perspective on this:

Written by deadone on 12.09.2014 at 02:15

And they're intolerant too - I get stares there for having tattoos. My wife gets stared at (apparently because she is non-Croat looking woman with a Croat looking guy according to my cousins).

Remember that cultural shock that I mentioned earlier? I'm gonna go on a limb and assume that you spoke with your wife in English. We don't get that a lot around here, especially if you were in an area that doesn't see many tourists. We don't see a lot of ethnic looking people either. Either of those could be the cause for the looks that your wife might have been getting.

I was in Dalmatia (Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik andtiny Gradac) as well as Zagreb. Attitudes in Dubrovnik and Zagreb were fine (Zagreb is just like any big city and Dubrovnik is tourist central).

Zadar and Split both have decade long histories of tourists but mainly German and Czech. Gradec's sole purpose in tourists.

As for my wife - she is Anglo-Saxon. But then the people are so intolerant that even I got analysed by distant relatives as for how much percentage I looked Dalmatian and how much I looked like from Lika where the other half of my family originate from. They did this in front of me and it was like I was cattle.

We were also treated poorly in restaurants unless they were higher class ones. They really didn't even hide their disdain. There was no concept of professionalism.

In fact there was no professionalism anywhere from tour operators to waiters to to shop keepers to border police tinkering with their phones whilst a drunk with an open bottle of booze stumbled through the metal detector.

Quote:
Unless the place you've been to is a village with 100 people, no one has any idea clue where exactly are you from, and no one gives a rats ass about your tattoos.

Then explain why in Split, Zadar and to a slightly lesser degree people stared openly at either my wife or my tattoos (and I have a grand total of 2 that are visible and my wife has one). And they weren't admiring them either- they were often disdainful smirks. And they didn't hide it either.

We started staring rudely at people we caught doing it cause we were sick of the attitude.

My experiences with and observations of Croatian culture have led me to completely disown my Croatian background. I consider myself 100% Australian and proud of it. My kid is being raised 100% Australian too.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34]

Login or register to post here.