05. The Shortest Straw
06. Harvester Of Sorrow
07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
08. To Live Is To Die
09. Dyers Eve
10. The Prince [Diamond Head cover] [Japanese bonus]
11. One [live] [digital reissue bonus]
12. ...And Justice For All [live] [digital reissue bonus]

Hmmm, so this is the last "true" Metallica classic? Let me start off by saying a lot of fans consider this to be their "progressive" album, while after hearing it through, the only thing I can point out that has "progressed" is the band's ability to bore the listener into a deep coma after a couple tracks.

The first two tracks are actually very good thrash metal numbers. "Blackened" is a pretty fast song with jackhammer riffs that really drag you into the album. The title track basically carries along the same looped riff throughout the song. While as repetitive it may be, it happens to be the strongest song and one of Metallica's best to date. Unfortunately, the remaining songs do not have the force to be as repeating. The next song worth hearing is "One". I could always admit that this band has a good formula for making this sort of songs. I would think things would pick up from here, but sadly what follows is more disgusting rubble to plow through. "Harvester of Sorrow" is vaguely interesting at first, but loses its edge very quickly.

My skip button gets a nice work out until I find out?..wait?.no more album.
Yes, apparently the album has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and the only thing that can wash it down is some classic Anthrax, which I happen to spot in my rack after I put this disaster away. There you have it ladies and gentlemen. The last "great" output by a band that has quickly fallen from grace as fast as it got there, all represented by three and a half tracks. Oh, and one more thing. I forgot that Metallica even had a bassist present in the making of this output. You wouldn't know they had one by actually listening to this CD.

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 05.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
When I came across Aguirre's review of Metallica's '...And Justice For All', I immediately spewed Coca-Cola everywhere and threatened the non-stickiness of my keyboard. I didn't see it coming, I guess. Aguirre is entitled to his opinion, but what follows is my review of Metallica's 'last great' and 'progressive' album.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2007 | Comments (40)

Guest review by
!Mac!
Rating:
It can easily be said that music is a photo in time. A fragment in where society is once shot, forever leaving the remembrance of where and who we were. This translates directly and more so intently to an artist or band, and where they were in their lives and careers when a piece of work was released. For Metallica in 1988, two-years removed from a loss of a brother, a friend and a band mate, bassist Cliff Burton, they showed their scars in an album that I can only help but adore. "?And Justice For All" is a long, (65-minutes long, 10 less than the maximum) drawn out, epic, loud, angry, and emotionally charged record that sweeps its listeners up into its messages and endless musicianship.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2008 | Comments (5)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Metallica! Need we say anything more about this band? They are the biggest Heavy Metal band ever to have existed, sold more records than any other Metal band and have performed in almost all the countries on the planet. They are the fathers of Thrash Metal and are one of the most influential bands of all time. Most of you know a great deal about them so I won't be elaborating anymore.

Read more ››
published 04.07.2010 | Comments (27)

Comments

Comments: 92   Visited by: 408 users
30.07.2006 - 00:03
Fane
This was my favorite albums... Well everyone have their own opinions, but I say that this is good album.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
02.08.2006 - 03:59
Rating: 9
Thrash666
I don't get it why people bash this album so much.
I am a hugggggggge Metallica fan and I fucking love is album. This album is my second favorite behind "Ride the Lighting". "...And Justice for All" is one of Metallica's best albums because of all the different styles they bring 2 this album. And I hate it when people say that they werent as metal when they released the "one" video. Awesome video and everyone should agree
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
02.08.2006 - 04:08
Rating: 7
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Only a 5? Hmm, well i used to really like this album but ive really moved away from Metallica and only seem to listen to this album and their previous releases. But i cant really seem to get into Metallica anymore and looking back im only really big on one of the track, that being 'One' which is one of my favourite all time Metallica tracks. I'd give it an 6.0
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.08.2006 - 14:22
Damnated
Churchburner
Agree with this rating, this album is just plain bad and boring, the only good track is One, but this only one just can't take the whole album on it's shoulders.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.08.2006 - 17:44
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Hm another point of view of the record. Kinda harsh. Well, that's okay, though I disagree with it.
08.09.2006 - 22:57
Rating: 10
Gothya
so do i, totally disagree on this one, this album is so far better than other albums, it's totally heavy, thrash and powerful, it's not repetitive, every single song has its own style, they're not similar each other and this album absolutely rocks!!
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
10.09.2006 - 08:30
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think the review is right on. There are a couple of great songs, but the rest are nothing special.
24.09.2006 - 03:35
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i think the review is right off track. one of their greatest albums, wiht brilliant songs all the way through. classic IMO

----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.11.2006 - 10:38
Talvi
Well, anyway, it could be obvious that after Master Of Puppets, Metallica only releases shit lol
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
11.11.2006 - 09:16
Mega-Slayer
Holy shit,way to harsh,this album really grew on me,I might of rated a 5 the first time I heard it.And Justice For All is definitley better than the Black album.I mean "To Live Is To Die","Blackened","One","Dyers Eve" and "Frayed Ends Of Sanity" are magnificent,plus all the solos are perfect.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
11.11.2006 - 09:56
Lorien
Account deleted
This album is one of my fav Metallica's albums
Blackened is on it, what more do you need!
28.01.2007 - 16:20
Tod_Engel
I disagree. Compared to other thrash releases of time it has a different sound (it doesn't make it better). You're underrating this album, it's quite good 7.5/10.
28.01.2007 - 21:18
darksun
Actually one of the greatest things metallica ever made.In addition.Best cover they make a great critic to the fake freedom and justice of the american.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
31.01.2007 - 04:24
Bitch Boy
I get the point of the review, and I agree that some tracks are kind of boring, but some others are really fucking masterpieces like One (my top favorite Metallica's song), Harvester of Sorrow and Blackened. I think the rating is really low.
04.02.2007 - 06:24
gabytzud
The rating is too low, obviously. Keep it objective people! Now you rate this one with 5 and the next thing you do you put a 8 or even a 9 for a band that says nothing! At least 8 for this album, which, after all, represents (means) something!
15.02.2007 - 19:26
marillionfan
Account deleted
Very subjective review. And Justice for All is still, after more than 15 years since I discovered it ,an enjoyable listen from the good ol' days of this once amazing band.
02.03.2007 - 01:05
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Probably Metallica's worst album (not including St. Anger, Load, Reload) so i agree with the rating. By the way, you guys should really think about how the song "One" made Metallica mainstream and destroyed the band before you listen to it and publicly state you like it.
02.03.2007 - 01:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
This is my favourite Metallica album although most ppl prefer their earlier releases. I think this album has very good moments and it deserves more than a diminishing 5, in my opinion. Its true that u cant hear the bass but the songs are still great. hail to and justice for all
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.03.2007 - 04:52
blackmagic567
Account deleted
dear cocksucker: you are the only person i have met that sdidn't like this album. songs like ONE, the title track, and Harvester of Sorrow rank among their best
16.03.2007 - 12:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 16.03.2007 at 04:52

dear cocksucker: you are the only person i have met that sdidn't like this album. songs like ONE, the title track, and Harvester of Sorrow rank among their best

Oh NO he is not... I know many people whoi think of And Justice For All as a bad album (I am one of them) with only three good songs, One, Blackened, Dyers Eve, and guess what those three songs are the only one Jason Newsted co-wrote. Plus the sound of this album is also horrible. Totally no bass there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2007 - 04:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Really think you didn't give the album a chance at all from the review. Sounded like you just placed the CD into your drive once, heard the opening of the songs and skipped if it sounded bad.

Actually, sounded like when you played the CD the first time you really didn't even want to listen to it in the first place, just wanted to get through the CD so you can hear Anthrax.

Dont really agree with the review at all, not only did you not give the CD a chance, you also never really gave sufficient reasoning for the songs being bad.

Oh, and if you want bass, just turn the dial up a bit. Its not that hard.
17.03.2007 - 12:43
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2007 at 12:59

Oh NO he is not... I know many people whoi think of And Justice For All as a bad album (I am one of them) with only three good songs, One, Blackened, Dyers Eve, and guess what those three songs are the only one Jason Newsted co-wrote. Plus the sound of this album is also horrible. Totally no bass there.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a bad album, but it is definitely a very average one and the worst of their first four - I even like the self-titled better. Most songs are too long (AJFA, Frayed Ends Of Sanity...), others are just plain crap (Shortest Straw) or simply uninteresting (To Live Is To Die). Plus the sound is awful: you can hear no bass, the drums sound like trashcans and there's a kind of annoying echo effect all along.

Yet a few songs really save this album. Blackened and above all Dyer's Eve may be two of the best thrash songs Metallica ever wrote, One is a great ballad and Harvester Of Sorrow is very fine as well. So, four good songs for me in this album, not enough to call it great.
19.03.2007 - 00:50
blackmagic567
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2007 at 12:59

you are honestly the first person i have heard say that they don't like this album
24.03.2007 - 02:16
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
Good album only a few good tracks though

Blackened
And Justice For All
Eye Of The Beholder
One

got nothing to do with it but the cd cover is okay
24.03.2007 - 04:40
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
@blackmagic567

Wouldn't that make him the second?
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
25.03.2007 - 19:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call the album Horrible, but it is deffinitly one which drags out after a while.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
27.03.2007 - 18:08
Rating: 6
Sunioj
St. Anger has the same rating, and it definetly wouldnt put it up in the same rating. perhaps a 6 or 7 would be fair.
22.05.2007 - 10:16
scorus
Account deleted
I don't know why the guy who wrote the review is so upset with this album and certanly I do NOT agree withy his opinion. I belive that this album has more then 3 and 1/2 songs, I mean look at Shortest straw , at Frail ends of sanaty this are perfectly good thrash metal songs. adding to that the horrible songs they started shinging afterwards it is not fare for this album to recive such a small ratting. for me personaly it ranks in the top 3 metallica albums. it is at least as good as ride the lighting and it deserves to stand next to master of puppets
24.05.2007 - 21:30
heavy_hr
Account deleted
Well, I like this album a lot...it's one of my favorite metal albums at all, but I remember times when I got it listened it few times, maybe even 3-4 years passed I've listened it few times more. And indeed it took me much more to get used to than others. Well, it's maybe because I was 11 or so, but still...
24.05.2007 - 22:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Fantastic album, but completely lacks bass sound. Contains a lot of hits, Dyers Eve's verse is amazing, catchy and listen to the drums in it (yes, the drums!!!)!
----

Hits total: 16478 | This month: 33