05. The Shortest Straw
06. Harvester Of Sorrow
07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
08. To Live Is To Die
09. Dyers Eve
10. The Prince [Diamond Head cover] [Japanese bonus]
11. One [live] [digital reissue bonus]
12. ...And Justice For All [live] [digital reissue bonus]

Hmmm, so this is the last "true" Metallica classic? Let me start off by saying a lot of fans consider this to be their "progressive" album, while after hearing it through, the only thing I can point out that has "progressed" is the band's ability to bore the listener into a deep coma after a couple tracks.

The first two tracks are actually very good thrash metal numbers. "Blackened" is a pretty fast song with jackhammer riffs that really drag you into the album. The title track basically carries along the same looped riff throughout the song. While as repetitive it may be, it happens to be the strongest song and one of Metallica's best to date. Unfortunately, the remaining songs do not have the force to be as repeating. The next song worth hearing is "One". I could always admit that this band has a good formula for making this sort of songs. I would think things would pick up from here, but sadly what follows is more disgusting rubble to plow through. "Harvester of Sorrow" is vaguely interesting at first, but loses its edge very quickly.

My skip button gets a nice work out until I find out?..wait?.no more album.
Yes, apparently the album has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and the only thing that can wash it down is some classic Anthrax, which I happen to spot in my rack after I put this disaster away. There you have it ladies and gentlemen. The last "great" output by a band that has quickly fallen from grace as fast as it got there, all represented by three and a half tracks. Oh, and one more thing. I forgot that Metallica even had a bassist present in the making of this output. You wouldn't know they had one by actually listening to this CD.

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 05.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Account deleted
Rating:
When I came across Aguirre's review of Metallica's '...And Justice For All', I immediately spewed Coca-Cola everywhere and threatened the non-stickiness of my keyboard. I didn't see it coming, I guess. Aguirre is entitled to his opinion, but what follows is my review of Metallica's 'last great' and 'progressive' album.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2007 | Comments (40)

Guest review by
!Mac!
Rating:
It can easily be said that music is a photo in time. A fragment in where society is once shot, forever leaving the remembrance of where and who we were. This translates directly and more so intently to an artist or band, and where they were in their lives and careers when a piece of work was released. For Metallica in 1988, two-years removed from a loss of a brother, a friend and a band mate, bassist Cliff Burton, they showed their scars in an album that I can only help but adore. "?And Justice For All" is a long, (65-minutes long, 10 less than the maximum) drawn out, epic, loud, angry, and emotionally charged record that sweeps its listeners up into its messages and endless musicianship.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2008 | Comments (5)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Metallica! Need we say anything more about this band? They are the biggest Heavy Metal band ever to have existed, sold more records than any other Metal band and have performed in almost all the countries on the planet. They are the fathers of Thrash Metal and are one of the most influential bands of all time. Most of you know a great deal about them so I won't be elaborating anymore.

Read more ››
published 04.07.2010 | Comments (27)

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 92   Visited by: 408 users
03.12.2008 - 05:40
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Yknow I was worried I was just crazy but I guess I'm not the only one who saw how bland this album was. the instrumentation just seems so empty. I could almost think of how each song could have been given a bit more flavor as I listened to the album.
03.12.2008 - 12:00
Rating: 10
mega amarth
This review is a fucking personal taste.
this one never goes down with such bullshitts.
14.05.2009 - 19:25
Rating: 8
Morphis
I just saw this review now and i couldnt disagree more.

This is one of best metal albuns ever
14.05.2009 - 20:14
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Not a 5....

The only thing that i agree with this review is that about the "three and a half" songs...
all the other, sorry but i find them unreasonably enormus...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.06.2009 - 21:30
terrorist
Great album.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
17.07.2009 - 14:39
Rating: 9
Solstafir!
A rating of 5.0???
C'mon man this album is anything but worth 5...sure "One" got frequent airplay on MTV but that doesn't mean that they went commercial on this album...most of the songs in the album are good in my opinion...
I would rate it 8.5...
28.07.2009 - 22:06
Andresopeth
I couldn't disagree more with this guy, and is the first time i hear this crap about such a good album. Well, opinions are opinions, but this is too much. And Justice For All is an excelent album, so if this guy thinks it deserves 5, which music in his opinion deserves 10?, this rate to me is around 9
11.08.2009 - 05:21
DamianGrosse
Account deleted
My favorite Metallica album. 'nuff said...
18.08.2009 - 16:58
terrorist
Great album enough said!!!This review s...s.Album gets borring???Hahahaahahah
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
18.08.2009 - 17:23
Abattoir
Staff
It's not bad album, it's also not great one but it has some of advantages and weaknesses. So I would agree at some point with this review, but definitely not fully. I agree with you that this one is more progressive comparing to the previous three releases, but still there is some nice, enjoyable songs on it (Blackened, One, Harvester Of Sorrow, ...And Justice For All).

My rating would be 7.5 for this one.
29.08.2009 - 09:02
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
A 5??? I'm sorry but WTF?? I couldn't disagree more. This is anything BUT boring, and it's one of Metal's best!!!
05.09.2009 - 15:53
Panterica
One thing is true - you can't hear the bass, but that it, everything else on this review is bullshit. It's Metallica's most challenging and interesting album! I understand that some people might not like this album 'cause of the lame production, but besides that the album is fucking great! I whish Metallica would do more albums like this one.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
07.09.2009 - 09:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Panterica on 05.09.2009 at 15:53

One thing is true - you can't hear the bass, but that it, everything else on this review is bullshit. It's Metallica's most challenging and interesting album! I understand that some people might not like this album 'cause of the lame production, but besides that the album is fucking great! I whish Metallica would do more albums like this one.

what's interesting in this album except the fact that it has 2,5/8 nice songs??? in this album we see a band playing boring music again and again... i agree that the rating is too harsh but imo it is not their most interesting.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.03.2010 - 10:52
In Bone Factory
Written by mega amarth on 03.12.2008 at 12:00

This review is a fucking personal taste.
this one never goes down with such bullshitts.

exactly
----
The End Is Nigh ...
01.09.2010 - 04:27
Metaxylum
F*ck this guy and his review! He obviously doesn't know a thing about good albums! Someone needs to redo this review! Someone who actually knows about music! METALLICA is the single greatest band in their generation and in ours today! Despite that they got Bob rock metallica still produced great albums! Idiots like this guy shouldn't do reviews and just go to hell!
01.09.2010 - 13:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Metaxylum on 01.09.2010 at 04:27

F*ck this guy and his review! He obviously doesn't know a thing about good albums! Someone needs to redo this review! Someone who actually knows about music! METALLICA is the single greatest band in their generation and in ours today! Despite that they got Bob rock metallica still produced great albums! Idiots like this guy shouldn't do reviews and just go to hell!

Blind fanboy alert.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.09.2010 - 14:39
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 01.09.2010 at 13:50

Written by Metaxylum on 01.09.2010 at 04:27

Blind fanboy alert.

Indeed. Anyone who says Metallica is the greatest metal band currently is blind as a bat. This band fucking sucks nowadays. And there were tons of bands better than Metallica in the 80s. I always found extremely annoying how tremendously overrated this band is.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.09.2010 - 14:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by RavenKing on 01.09.2010 at 14:39
Indeed. Anyone who says Metallica is the greatest metal band currently is blind as a bat. This band fucking sucks nowadays. And there were tons of bands better than Metallica in the 80s. I always found extremely annoying how tremendously overrated this band is.

I wish Jethro Tull won another Grammy just to flip the bird at Metallica. It'd be funny.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.10.2010 - 20:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I like this al;bum its not as good as MoP or RTL but still it worth more than a five i give it a 7,5/8
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.12.2010 - 08:06
BloodFireDeath
You know I really enjoy parts of this album but I do agree. It has James Hetfield's best vocal performance, and I like the icy cold depressed feel of the album. Its just that the composition of the songs is long winded and overblown. They forgot how to write "music" and just stuck a bunch of riffs together to create a semblance of songs. Still decent though.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
04.02.2011 - 07:54
Sonic MrSumo
@Joey Jo Jo: I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion, truth be known I actually feel pity and sorrow on your behalf, as this masterpiece of an album has clearly passed you by. I'd hate to exist in a world where I couldn't derive the pleasure I get from this album.

I will start fund raising immediately in an attempt to provide scientists with an opportunity to find a cure for your ailment.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
04.02.2011 - 08:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 04.02.2011 at 07:54

@Joey Jo Jo: I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion, truth be known I actually feel pity and sorrow on your behalf, as this masterpiece of an album has clearly passed you by. I'd hate to exist in a world where I couldn't derive the pleasure I get from this album.

I will start fund raising immediately in an attempt to provide scientists with an opportunity to find a cure for your ailment.

There are actually loads of people that agree with him. Especially amongst my generation. I am one of those as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2011 - 02:29
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2011 at 08:15

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 04.02.2011 at 07:54

There are actually loads of people that agree with him. Especially amongst my generation. I am one of those as well.

Haha...yes. A lot of my mates consider this album to be the worst of the first 4. I think they're all masterpieces, however ...And Justice For All is number 1 for me.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
13.06.2011 - 01:53
Kuroboshi
I mostly agree with the reviewer; very bland and boring album. However, the last song, together with The Eye of the Beholder and One rocks. Personally, a 6 would be due, but kudos to the reviewer for having the guts to gut such a renowned album.
21.07.2011 - 06:01
Mattybu
Written by Kuroboshi on 13.06.2011 at 01:53

kudos to the reviewer for having the guts to gut such a renowned album.

Yes, kudos to him for having an opinion. Pretty gutsy.

Anyways, I think the score is a little low, but I can definitely understand frustration or different people getting different things out of this album. I personally couldn't care less about the bass either, and nobody rips on a Paul Gilbert album for it being devoid of vocals. It's just not necessary in the music. Blackened was actually the most played song on my iPod for a loooooong time, then it got put to shame pretty badly, hehe, passed by about 600 now.
03.11.2011 - 01:37
Nemo Atkins
I don't agree with the review at all. True, I rarely listen to ...And Justice For All at the moment (I've not really listened to the album since I got The Scarecrow Trilogy by Avantasia just over three months ago), but, from what I recall of it, it wasn't that bad an album. It has a few good songs ("One" and the title track stand out at the moment) and the other songs had some great riffs, although I'd be lying if I said it was one of my favorite albums. However, I respect the reviewer's opinion enough to say that, aside from a noticeably strong bias against Metallica ("[T]he only thing [...] that has "progressed" is the band's ability to bore the listener into a deep coma after a couple tracks."), he is at least being honest about not liking it, a surprisingly brave think to do considering the number of people who get attacked on forums just for saying "I don't like this album" on a classic album's page, even if they provide good reasons as to why they don't like it.
30.12.2011 - 15:53
Nardor
I agree for the most part, it's a boring album but it has some great solo's to wake you up once in a while. I'd give it a 6/7.
25.05.2012 - 07:45
Rating: 6
I never understood why people love this album so much. I mean sure there's "Blackened" and "One" which are both outstanding tracks, but those two tracks alone don't make up for the sloppy poor production, the agonizingly monotonous songs and the total disregard for the bass player! As much as I don't like what the black album stands for, I'd say that overall the black album is a more solid package than with this effort. AJFA definitely has its' bright moments, but overall it really does make me feel unsatisfied by the end of the album. I'll stick to Kill Em' All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets, (Minus "The Thing That Should Not Be" that song is too long and too repetitive like most of AJFA)
----
"A victim of someone else's choice
The ones who suffer have no voice"
29.07.2016 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have to agree whit review, its a bit boring in some way, you cant listen it so much in same time as older ones, you listen it you need brake, I did not enjoy it son much today
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.02.2018 - 21:34
(o> . <o> )
Witness manchilds getting frustrated over a review.

Hits total: 16485 | This month: 40