08. Anoint The Dead
09. Contemplate Regicide
10. Bound Dead
11. (Exit) The Few

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
In what is likely to be the single most shocking event on the scene this year, longtime brutal death metal stalwarts Cryptopsy decided to reinvent themselves as crazy jacks-of-all-trades for their latest release, The Unspoken King. Nevertheless, this album shouldn't get buried by the chaos that will certainly ensue amongst old fans and other more orthodox death metal types. This is because it is just too good to be mired by ridiculous genre discussions.

Read more ››
published 17.04.2008 | Comments (122)

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Cryptopsy are a household name when it comes to brutal death metal, and for five albums over the past fourteen years that is exactly what they delivered. Until now. Lord Worm is out of the band, replaced by metalcore vocalist Matt McGachy and for the first time in the band's history a keyboard player, Maggie Durand, is introduced to the ranks. Musically Cryptopsy are a completely different band, shedding their brutal death metal skins and wriggling towards the metalcore whilst still keeping some technical death metal ties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (16)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 61   Visited by: 1039 users
04.04.2012 - 21:18
John Shock
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.01.2012 at 01:16

Their back catalog may be overrated but this is still the biggest piece of shit they managed to release.

What the fuck do this album have wrong? ...for what i now, they just only made a big change...a change nothing bad for me!
04.04.2012 - 21:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
4.8 average is probably more than this deserves. I'd say 4 myself. I'm not generally a big fan of the brutal / technical style seen on None So Vile but it's a very good album, even if slightly overrated.
05.04.2012 - 05:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by John Shock on 04.04.2012 at 21:18
What the fuck do this album have wrong?

Where to start.

Nah, but seriously. It's a pretty bland deathcore release and I don't even like what many believe to be the "best" of deathcore, so it's not a surprise I feel so much antipathy towards it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.04.2012 - 21:48
John Shock
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.04.2012 at 05:10

Written by John Shock on 04.04.2012 at 21:18
What the fuck do this album have wrong?

Where to start.

Nah, but seriously. It's a pretty bland deathcore release and I don't even like what many believe to be the "best" of deathcore, so it's not a surprise I feel so much antipathy towards it.

I'll give it a shot! I like self-criticism ... not "others-criticism" ... no ofense...not against you...but against others! ...
30.07.2012 - 02:40
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by qui_killer on 09.02.2011 at 20:27

Maybe the biggest letdown in Death Metal history :'(

Even bigger than Morbid Angel and all the Industrial metal stuff??
30.07.2012 - 03:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 30.07.2012 at 02:40

I'd give it to Morbid Angel, considering this album isn't technically part of death metal history, as it's a deathcore album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 00:02
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.07.2012 at 03:21

Written by Guest on 30.07.2012 at 02:40

I'd give it to Morbid Angel, considering this album isn't technically part of death metal history, as it's a deathcore album.

...and LULU for the biggest letdown in music history.
31.07.2012 - 07:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.07.2012 at 03:21

At least you acknowledge that Illud... is a death metal album, the majority of it's detractors refuse to class it as such. Only 3 songs on it are not death metal, which means that over half of the album is, which makes it a death metal album.

@Cuca: As awful as Lulu is, I'd be surprised if that many people were expecting it to be anything other than total rubbish. I for one, was not expecting it to be good at all, so I couldn't be let down by it.
31.07.2012 - 10:47
Rating: 6
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 00:02
...and LULU for the biggest letdown in music history.

Impossible. Like Angelic Storm pointed out: For something to count as letdown... It would mean that the majority of us were expecting something good which isn't the case as pretty much EVERYONE knew Lulu was going to be terrible and the thought was already confirmed when the single showed up for the first time.

So no, it's not a letdown.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2014 - 08:56
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Good stuff.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.03.2014 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Maco on 28.02.2014 at 08:56
Good stuff.

This is definitely not a popular opinion.
----
04.03.2014 - 21:18
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 20:50

This is definitely not a popular opinion.

I can see that, but it's what I think.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.03.2014 - 00:19
Rating: 6
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Maco on 04.03.2014 at 21:18
I can see that, but it's what I think.

I'm with you dude. I don't mind this stuff at all. It's been a while since I heard it but last time I checked I enjoyed it enough to consider it good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.12.2014 - 17:06
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Definitely doesn't deserve to be in the "Bottom 20 albums of all time", but it's not that good either. I'd give it a 6-6.5.

Edit: 6.5-7.
23.12.2014 - 20:14
Lit.
Account deleted
Yet this album is still better than the rest of the mindless brutal garbage this band has released that isn't None So Vile.
23.12.2014 - 22:30
Ilham
Giant robot
I often see myself rooting for the underdog, and I do like Cryptopsy and deathcore. So I guess I'll have to give it a go.
23.12.2014 - 23:31
Rating: 8
Uldreth
Written by Ilham on 23.12.2014 at 22:30

I often see myself rooting for the underdog, and I do like Cryptopsy and deathcore. So I guess I'll have to give it a go.

It's good stuff. According to brutal death metallers around the world who slag this album, perfectly normal cleans are whining, aggressive, heavy music (just not as mindlessly brutal just to be brutal as prior) is pop, and creative, slightly progressive-ish songwriting is selling out, but in the real world, neither of these are true .
23.12.2014 - 23:45
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Still doesn't make this album any less shit.
23.12.2014 - 23:51
Uldreth
I prefer creativity and dynamic songwriting over mindless brutality and terrible vocals (Lord Worm lol), so for me, yes it does.
23.12.2014 - 23:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 23.12.2014 at 23:31

It's good stuff. According to brutal death metallers around the world who slag this album, perfectly normal cleans are whining, aggressive, heavy music (just not as mindlessly brutal just to be brutal as prior) is pop, and creative, slightly progressive-ish songwriting is selling out, but in the real world, neither of these are true .

Haha, I kept hearing drastically different opinions, couldn't wait any more, I am listening to it right now. So far, I can say it's not the most exciting piece of music I've ever heard. But even considering people downvoted this because it's deathcore, it's not even bad deathcore. Lower than 4 is a score I'd give to a Six Feet Under album.
24.12.2014 - 00:03
Uldreth
Written by Ilham on 23.12.2014 at 23:55

Haha, I kept hearing drastically different opinions, couldn't wait any more, I am listening to it right now. So far, I can say it's not the most exciting piece of music I've ever heard. But even considering people downvoted this because it's deathcore, it's not even bad deathcore. Lower than 4 is a score I'd give to a Six Feet Under album.

That was my initial opinion as well, but despite not being "the most exciting piece of music" I found myself coming back to it a lot and it grew on me. Still, it is not a super sentimental album for me, the reason why I am quite "sensitive" about this is because, well, I've never seen so much unjust hate towards a musical album ever, in my time on internet music sites.

It is perfectly fine to not like this album or prefer odler Cryptopsy or whatever, but comments and reviews on most sites (aside from Jup's review and Jup/Marcel/Rod's support, here as well) seemed to make this out as some utterly terrible popfest with whiny clean vocals marketed at teenagers, when in reality, the cleans are totally fine, aside from a couple of songs where their implementation is not the best (but Leech compensates for that, because that song is brilliant), and the music is actually way more diverse and creative than on older Cryptopsy albums, including a relatively pervasive atmosphere, that further adds a lot to this album.

Not liking something is one thing but not giving credit where it is due is another, and this album was never given enough credit, even though it is due, and calling this trendhopping, sellout and relative terms is just objectively unjust (and yes, the genre here is inherently more accessible than on previous albums, but the songwriting method is actually less conformist).
24.12.2014 - 00:16
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 24.12.2014 at 00:03

That was my initial opinion as well, but despite not being "the most exciting piece of music" I found myself coming back to it a lot and it grew on me. Still, it is not a super sentimental album for me, the reason why I am quite "sensitive" about this is because, well, I've never seen so much unjust hate towards a musical album ever, in my time on internet music sites.

It is perfectly fine to not like this album or prefer odler Cryptopsy or whatever, but comments and reviews on most sites (aside from Jup's review and Jup/Marcel/Rod's support, here as well) seemed to make this out as some utterly terrible popfest with whiny clean vocals marketed at teenagers, when in reality, the cleans are totally fine, aside from a couple of songs where their implementation is not the best (but Leech compensates for that, because that song is brilliant), and the music is actually way more diverse and creative than on older Cryptopsy albums, including a relatively pervasive atmosphere, that further adds a lot to this album.

Not liking something is one thing but not giving credit where it is due is another, and this album was never given enough credit, even though it is due, and calling this trendhopping, sellout and relative terms is just objectively unjust (and yes, the genre here is inherently more accessible than on previous albums, but the songwriting method is actually less conformist).

Yeah I've googled the album title for some reviews, and I didn't need to read more than two lines to understand what was going to be said. I must have been living in a daze in 2008 because I don't remember any of this. But whatev'.

The more I progress into it, the more I understand it is indeed unjust. This album has more balls than almost everything I've heard from them. Cojones because they dared to make such a change, but most importantly, just testicles in general. I can't understand what people find weak and mellow in this. It's pure aggression. I'm sure that if you took out the cleans, which must amount to like 5 minutes in total in the album, you'd see the average grow a point higher. Now I understand people hate deathcore, and it's okay, their loss. But I've heard worse albums in terms of songwriting, technique and originality, and style doesn't excuse all the hate.
24.12.2014 - 00:20
Uldreth
Written by Ilham on 24.12.2014 at 00:16

Yeah I've googled the album title for some reviews, and I didn't need to read more than two lines to understand what was going to be said. I must have been living in a daze in 2008 because I don't remember any of this. But whatev'.

The more I progress into it, the more I understand it is indeed unjust. This album has more balls than almost everything I've heard from them. Cojones because they dared to make such a change, but most importantly, just testicles in general. I can't understand what people find weak and mellow in this. It's pure aggression. I'm sure that if you took out the cleans, which must amount to like 5 minutes in total in the album, you'd see the average grow a point higher. Now I understand people hate deathcore, and it's okay, their loss. But I've heard worse albums in terms of songwriting, technique and originality, and style doesn't excuse all the hate.

Exactly. I do admit this is more accessible, less "brutal" and less technical than prior albums, but they basically exchanged brutality and technicality for diversity and mood/atmosphere, which are both stuff I value more in music than brutality or technicality, and the album STILL is aggressive, just is not flooded with constant blasts...
24.12.2014 - 00:29
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 24.12.2014 at 00:20

Exactly. I do admit this is more accessible, less "brutal" and less technical than prior albums, but they basically exchanged brutality and technicality for diversity and mood/atmosphere, which are both stuff I value more in music than brutality or technicality, and the album STILL is aggressive, just is not flooded with constant blasts...

Agreed. I forgot to say, you seem to be taking the task of presenting the album in a more positive light like a mission. It's cute haha.
Yeah I'm at the last song now. I can say I really liked it now. Thanks for the push!
24.12.2014 - 00:35
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 24.12.2014 at 00:16

I've heard worse albums too. Change is never a bad thing imo, it means that a band is willing to explore new avenues of creativity. However, the change towards deathcore wasn't really surprising (especially compared to Celtic Frost's Cold Lake or Amoral's Show Your Colors) as Cryptopsy have been incorporating its elements in previous albums. Hell, I would even go so far to say that the album is decently made. But, cover up the band's name (or make up a new deathcore name, say, "Bleeding On Angel's Wings") and what do you get? A painfully generic deathcore album that has almost nothing going for it. Boring rhythmic chugs, boring vocals, a pointless keyboardist that might just be there for sex appeal. Just flat out boring.

For the record, I tried to give it a second listen before writing this. Couldn't make it pass the first 10 minutes.
24.12.2014 - 00:43
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 24.12.2014 at 00:35

I've heard worse albums too. Change is never a bad thing imo, it means that a band is willing to explore new avenues of creativity. However, the change towards deathcore wasn't really surprising (especially compared to Celtic Frost's Cold Lake or Amoral's Show Your Colors) as Cryptopsy have been incorporating its elements in previous albums. Hell, I would even go so far to say that the album is decently made. But, cover up the band's name (or make up a new deathcore name, say, "Bleeding On Angel's Wings") and what do you get? A painfully generic deathcore album that has almost nothing going for it. Boring rhythmic chugs, boring vocals, a pointless keyboardist that might just be there for sex appeal. Just flat out boring.

For the record, I tried to give it a second listen before writing this. Couldn't make it pass the first 10 minutes.

I think a good example of bad and bland deathcore is Suicide Silence. And this is miles higher in terms of originality and rhythm. I don't really see "decent" and "2/10" going well together, but I never question people's ratings, I just find a discrepancy here between what you say and the number assigned to it. But then I guess if you can't go through 10 minutes of what you call "bland" deathcore and give it a two, I wouldn't urge you to try Suicide Silence, you'd probably kill yourself .
24.12.2014 - 00:54
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 24.12.2014 at 00:43

I think a good example of bad and bland deathcore is Suicide Silence. And this is miles higher in terms of originality and rhythm. I don't really see "decent" and "2/10" going well together, but I never question people's ratings, I just find a discrepancy here between what you say and the number assigned to it. But then I guess if you can't go through 10 minutes of what you call "bland" deathcore and give it a two, I wouldn't urge you to try Suicide Silence, you'd probably kill yourself .

I think I made through 2 minutes of a Suicide Silence record. Utter garbage. But I suppose my decent comment kinda shows the turmoil in my head. On one hand, I really really do not enjoy listening to this. On the other hand, this is mainly due to my inherent dislike of the genre itself. If I liked deathcore as much as I do with regular death metal, this might be a 5, 6 or even a 7. So take it as you will.
24.12.2014 - 01:03
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 24.12.2014 at 00:54

I think I made through 2 minutes of a Suicide Silence record. Utter garbage. But I suppose my decent comment kinda shows the turmoil in my head. On one hand, I really really do not enjoy listening to this. On the other hand, this is mainly due to my inherent dislike of the genre itself. If I liked deathcore as much as I do with regular death metal, this might be a 5, 6 or even a 7. So take it as you will.

Yeah I understood the rating was so low because you hated the genre. I understand, if a band I liked turned... symphonic gothic power metal, I might give it a low score as well. I just wanted to stress that this isn't bad deathcore.
24.12.2014 - 11:16
Rating: 4
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I object, mod. I take a serious offence by Fear and Illham to disrespecting Suicide Silence. I take a major stab on how Fear and Illham illustrated Suicide Silence in bad light and trying to damage its reputation considering death of god of deathcore( Mitch Lucker) is still fresh in our mind.

But seriously, The Unspoken King come out to be a very average album with low of flaws found to be in deconstruction of songs. The flow was bland; it was hugely stepdown from earlier works of Cryptopsy and was loosely hold. I was disappointed on how songs were unfurled and then the shoddy momentum which carried on til the end of album was unimpressive.
06.03.2016 - 17:00
metalfan1999
They had balls to release this! The album itself is not bad. I actually really like Matts highs. The album is less straight up brutality and more atmospheric. At some parts there are too many breakdowns, but they are not overused like in 99% of all deathcore bands. This is deathcore actually done well (and better than most of the deathcore produced by actual deathcore bands). The only stuff that could have really been reduced or completely taken out are the cleans. They don't really fit that well to cryptopsy. This is not their best, but it not as terrible as people say. I think it is actually quite technical for deathcore (especially Flo's drumming is outstanding, but that is nothing new:)).

Hits total: 18803 | This month: 62