Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2009 Results

The voting is now closed and we'd like to thank all voters who participated. This year we had 10 categories breaking the 1000 votes mark, pretty awesome!

Results can be found here!

OK, enjoy browsing the results, and remember that they are the product of public voting, so that you know who to blame. Just making sure...

Feel free to discuss the outcome in this thread.
Posted: 02.03.2010 by Ivan

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 149   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 966 users
01.03.2010 - 00:36
csiga
Munin
I didn't find any surprising result.
----

i survived the lake bodom!
01.03.2010 - 00:43
annodomini
Thanks God Process of Guilt finished 4th.
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.03.2010 - 00:46
N.G.J
Looks like I can make my own results on Biggest Letdown now right?
01.03.2010 - 00:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
How many votes did the Marcel drama get?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.03.2010 - 00:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by annodomini on 01.03.2010 at 00:43

Thanks God Process of Guilt finished 4th.

WHy? They shopuld have won ffs...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2010 - 00:53
annodomini
Cause ISole, Whw and Candlemass were better IMO
----
01.03.2010 - 00:55
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by annodomini on 01.03.2010 at 00:53

Marcel will hate you for that
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2010 - 00:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 00:49

WHy? They shopuld have won ffs...

Agree... best album in the entire doom genre for 2009. And I can't say this enough: WHW was waaaaaaaay too happy for my tastes. that music was MEH

Damn... This time only two categories got the results I wanted... I'm gettin kvlt or what?

Here are a couple of categories I wanted to discuss a little bit. I jsut want to point out I checked ALL the myspaces.. it took a veyr long long time... it took such a long time that I was actually the last one that voted for extreme doom category... just right now.

alternative: I voted for Harvestman, that shit was crazy I tell you! Really psichedelic stuff going on!... I quite liked Mastodon, but I still found it just good... Harvestman got last.. seriously guys, What the heck?

Black Metal. C'mon... It was nice.. but still, c'mon, it was nothing spectacular! Oranssi Pazuzu was the right one but Oh well... I'm just going to spend my time in space alone, thank you!

Death Metal: For shame... FOR SHAME! But I'm glad that Asphyx got fourth!! That was the second best imo... I voted for Impetuous Ritual and they didn't even make it to the list, WTF? that was just bad.

Doom Metal: This and the extreme Doom category were my favorite ones to participate because there were lots of great albums so it almost feels like everyone won! WHW second was a bit too much imo ... since Process Of Guilt was easily the better one.

Extreme Doom Metal: Same as above, I'm glad that Ahab won [again] even though I voted for Arcana Coelestia... But they got fifth and that's a good thing too! This was easily my favorite category, like I said... everyone won here since almost all those albums are very very good.

Gothic Metal: It's weird... I thought that Theatre of Tragedy would get in the best three or something since it's very popular... or that's what I thought, I really liked their comeback since Storm was average...

Grindcore: I liked the newest Napalm death... But I thought that Brutal Truth was more.. well..... BRUTAL. But hey, they got third and Napalm Death is really popular so no tears here

Metalcore: One out of the two options I voted that won... I'm glad because that Converge album was fierce!

Post-Metal/Avantgarde Metal: Yeah, I voted for DSO because I just fucking love the first song so much it was unbelievable... all the other bands were really good though and I will check all of them.

Sludge/Stoner Metal: It was obvious that Baroness was going to win... But OM got fourth and that's nice too! I really really liked that album... ´The main reason to why I voted for them was becuase that bass... was freaking perfect. Just check that amazing melody on Cremation Chant II!!! This was one of my favorite bands in the entire awards! I'm so going to buy this album ASAP!

Debut: Oranzzi Pazuzu once again... Kalisia was just too much masturbation and too much electronics... I liked it at first but then it was so goddamn boring.

Overall... This was a really good MS awards. I discovered wonderful bands in my favorite genres, those being Extreme Doom, Doom and Sludge/stoner

Amazing job by the staff!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2010 - 00:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Candlemass were by far the weakest fo the ten nominees if you ask me. They only won because they are a well-known name, why do think MDB and StS made it in with write-in? Just well-known names, that's it nothing to do with quality it is all about the fanboys and fangirls blinded by their love for a band
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2010 - 01:00
annodomini
I agree that StS and MDB is not worth to be here, but Candlemass were good speaking about quality as well. Those riffs were amazing. Although I voted for WHW which was outstanding above others.
----
01.03.2010 - 01:03
Got Mayhem?
Big Behemoth fan, but I really thought Nile put out a more interesting and high replay value release. Oh well, both very good bands.
----
01.03.2010 - 01:05
DayFly
Too bad Winger didn't make the top 10, their new album really deserved it. Guess most people didn't bother checking them out.
01.03.2010 - 01:08
Got Mayhem?
Oh and:

Finally, we want to hand out one more special award to the anonymous user who wrote-in Dissection's "Storm Of The Light's Bane".

Please raise your hand
----
01.03.2010 - 01:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hey guys, how many voted for Marcel!!!?? I'm really curious about that. Easily the best drama here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2010 - 01:31
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Anybody paid attention to this:

"Finally, we want to hand out one more special award to the anonymous user who wrote-in Dissection's "Storm Of The Light's Bane". While the album is widely acclaimed within BM circles, I am sorry to inform you that you were just a tad late for the 1994 Metal Storm Awards. Vote deleted, but many LOLs to be sure."

I LOLed once, when I saw Wintersun win the Biggest Letdown category, but I LMAO'ed when I read this, I'm still struggling to take a breath, LOL...
01.03.2010 - 01:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Something like 10 voted for Marcel.

the awards went about as expected. some bands i really liked won, others received <50 votes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2010 - 01:37
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
My only complaint is that, Addicted didn't win. I really felt strongly about that one
----
Coldgrits
01.03.2010 - 01:47
Vykintas
Not a single album I gave my votes for won... I thought expecting at least one wasn't too much
01.03.2010 - 02:01
the stranger
Profetus only got 13 votes. I feel kvlt.
01.03.2010 - 02:09
I_Die_Often
How come there is DOOM and EXTREME DOOM, but no sub categories like EXTREME DEATH METAL?
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.03.2010 - 02:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2010 at 00:55

Marcel will hate you for that

I hate him for that. >__>
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.03.2010 - 02:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Because death metal is extreme. doom has a far greater variation in styles. hell, there already is "melodeath" - which is death-lite.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2010 - 02:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2010 at 01:11

Hey guys, how many voted for Marcel!!!?? I'm really curious about that. Easily the best drama here.

I voted for Marcel, and as much as I was upset that Erosion didn't win the doom vote, nothing compares to the sheer agony I'm in as a result of Marcel's gaffe going unregistered in the history of Metal Storm.

Much like a dead lover, we will have to keep the spirit of this mistake alive and well with the power of memory.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.03.2010 - 02:31
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 01.03.2010 at 01:37

My only complaint is that, Addicted didn't win. I really felt strongly about that one

I was definitely not expecting that terrible Dream Theater album to win... I'm losing faith in humanity and I pray that some fanboy with multiple accounts is to blame.

I had Riverside for best prog instead of my biggest letdown that won...

It seems almost every style except metalcore and sludge had landslide winners...

Sonata Arctica was also 8 votes away from pulling a "Nightwish" - winning both best album in their genre and biggest letdown.
01.03.2010 - 02:36
MeloDeathViking
Some of these results make me want to cry! Seeing Dream Theater win just shows that many people didn't either didn't listen to the other nominees, or just feel like they have to vote for big names. Same goes for folk metal, although I do feel that Ensiferum was a little more worthy of the win the Dream Theater was. I love DT, and I like the album, but this year, I don't think it should even be in the top 3 for the category. I say that after the awards are over, we should get a week to vote for the album that got most screwed out of a "best of" award.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.03.2010 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.03.2010 at 02:36

I say that after the awards are over, we should get a week to vote for the album that got most screwed out of a "best of" award.

Only the remaining big-name bands would win that. /pointless
----
01.03.2010 - 03:41
enumaelis
I missed Nokturnal Mortum in the black (or even pagan) metal category. Their last album is Epic.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
01.03.2010 - 04:12
MeloDeathViking
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.03.2010 at 03:10

Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.03.2010 at 02:36

I say that after the awards are over, we should get a week to vote for the album that got most screwed out of a "best of" award.

Only the remaining big-name bands would win that. /pointless

Yeah, your probably right. I just feel like there's always really good bands who get screwed because people are too closed minded to listen to something outside their tiny little box.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.03.2010 - 04:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2010 at 01:11

I think it got 10 votes or something like that.

Written by DayFly on 01.03.2010 at 01:05

Too bad Winger didn't make the top 10, their new album really deserved it. Guess most people didn't bother checking them out.

The day Winger gets an MS award is the day I quit.

Written by Metal Maiden on 01.03.2010 at 01:31

Anybody paid attention to this:

"Finally, we want to hand out one more special award to the anonymous user who wrote-in Dissection's "Storm Of The Light's Bane". While the album is widely acclaimed within BM circles, I am sorry to inform you that you were just a tad late for the 1994 Metal Storm Awards. Vote deleted, but many LOLs to be sure."

I LOLed once, when I saw Wintersun win the Biggest Letdown category, but I LMAO'ed when I read this, I'm still struggling to take a breath, LOL...

You'd be amazed at the horribly stupid write-in votes put in, which we usually catch & delete. There was a couple where someone wrote in an album that was ALREADY FUCKING NOMINATED.

Written by I_Die_Often on 01.03.2010 at 02:09

How come there is DOOM and EXTREME DOOM, but no sub categories like EXTREME DEATH METAL?

Because death metal already is extreme. The whole thing seems a little obvious I think.

Altogether a good year. Not a single album I voted for won, you're all to blame. I could go on a long rant about how much you've all disappointed me, but I'll save my breath. Goodnight, there will be no encores.

----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2010 - 05:02
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
A pity that only "popular" albums won. Although I'm glad atleast Mastodon won, and happy that The Agonist almost won (although sadly no matter how good of an album you release, you just CANT win against an established name band). I was also kind of bummed with the amount fo write in votes I did. I suppose 09 had some great gems, but nothing all TOO well known. I suppose noit even kalisia can overcome a wave of rabid dream Theater fans.

Hits total: 13929 | This month: 20