Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2009 Results

The voting is now closed and we'd like to thank all voters who participated. This year we had 10 categories breaking the 1000 votes mark, pretty awesome!

Results can be found here!

OK, enjoy browsing the results, and remember that they are the product of public voting, so that you know who to blame. Just making sure...

Feel free to discuss the outcome in this thread.
Posted: 02.03.2010 by Ivan

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 149   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 966 users
01.03.2010 - 06:06
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Quite impressed with myself that none of my choices won.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
01.03.2010 - 06:27
BudDa
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 01.03.2010 at 06:06

Quite impressed with myself that none of my choices won.

Almost the same here..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
01.03.2010 - 06:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Some good choices for winners.

I just thought Oranssi Pazuzu would win (All Shall Fall is a good album, but far from the best in any year)... also Katatonia and Candlemass were a little too much.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.03.2010 - 07:05
Skøllgrim
Northern
Very much as expected, big names took the crowds... but then again they are big names for a reason. Some "Disappointments" to my own subjective opinion I guess, but all in all a good year and a great job by the staff picking out albums. Thanks a lot, I have a lot of new music to listen to still.
EDIT: I also noticed some of the bands nominated had official myspace-blog posts saying they were nominated and that their fans should vote for them on Metal Storm, that's pretty awesome.
01.03.2010 - 07:24
the stranger
Written by Skøllgrim on 01.03.2010 at 07:05

Very much as expected, big names took the crowds... but then again they are big names for a reason. Some "Disappointments" to my own subjective opinion I guess, but all in all a good year and a great job by the staff picking out albums. Thanks a lot, I have a lot of new music to listen to still.
EDIT: I also noticed some of the bands nominated had official myspace-blog posts saying they were nominated and that their fans should vote for them on Metal Storm, that's pretty awesome.

That's how Virgin Black won last year when they shouldn't have.
01.03.2010 - 09:07
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Introspekrieg on 01.03.2010 at 02:31

Written by -DC-002- on 01.03.2010 at 01:37

My only complaint is that, Addicted didn't win. I really felt strongly about that one

I was definitely not expecting that terrible Dream Theater album to win... I'm losing faith in humanity and I pray that some fanboy with multiple accounts is to blame.

I had Riverside for best prog instead of my biggest letdown that won...

It seems almost every style except metalcore and sludge had landslide winners...

Sonata Arctica was also 8 votes away from pulling a "Nightwish" - winning both best album in their genre and biggest letdown.

Ya, Wow. I had forgotten Dream Theater made an album in 2009

I'd hope these awards would at least help broaden the musical tastes of the people that made most categories into a one sided slaughter.
----
Coldgrits
01.03.2010 - 09:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
to hell with Wintersun!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.03.2010 - 09:34
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
If I don't count "Other awards" section, 12 out of 17 bands for which I voted won. I am almost ashamed that my taste is so "mainstream"...
01.03.2010 - 09:54
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Silent Creeper on 01.03.2010 at 09:34

If I don't count "Other awards" section, 12 out of 17 bands for which I voted won. I am almost ashamed that my taste is so "mainstream"...

Nothing to be ashamed of, just keep listening to whatever you like, not what you feel you're supposed to like. Many of the mainstream bands are popular for a reason.

By the way, this year's Dream Theater was quite decent - probably the best since Scenes From A Memory, so I don't mind it winning. Still, I myself voted for Riverside, their album was pure brilliance. Actually, only 2 of my votes won, which is fine with me.
01.03.2010 - 10:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by the stranger on 01.03.2010 at 02:01

Profetus only got 13 votes. I feel kvlt.

I was one of the 11 people who voted for Harvestman in the alternative category and Impetuous Ritual didn't even make it to the best ten... That one was just horrible to watch man, but at the same time I feel great, fuck Evangelion...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2010 - 11:25
Lachy
Account deleted
I voted for about 5 of the winners out of like 9 votes that i did so i must have a fairly good ear for metal
01.03.2010 - 11:53
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 00:57

Written by annodomini on 01.03.2010 at 00:53

Cause ISole, Whw and Candlemass were better IMO

Candlemass were by far the weakest fo the ten nominees if you ask me. They only won because they are a well-known name, why do think MDB and StS made it in with write-in? Just well-known names, that's it nothing to do with quality it is all about the fanboys and fangirls blinded by their love for a band

Exactly
I am actually very pissed of with the results from the major genres
Obscura should have won over the HOLY Behemoth or at least finish second
I totaly agree with the fact that Candlemass was the weakest of the ten nominees and I didn't imagine that they would be even on the top three , it is a shame PoG didn't won
And though being a fan of Immortal I say they should not have won with much better releases from Wolves in the Throne Room and OP and Shining
Also what Whyzdom did on their album is much better than the Overrated Epica
i can't say I am pleased with the results at all
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.03.2010 - 12:02
iaberis
Advice Troll
Mainstream awards lol, didn't expect more
----
Bitch! Please
01.03.2010 - 12:03
annodomini
Written by InnerSelf on 01.03.2010 at 11:53

Candlemass were by far the weakest fo the ten nominees if you ask me. They only won because they are a well-known name, why do think MDB and StS made it in with write-in? Just well-known names, that's it nothing to do with quality it is all about the fanboys and fangirls blinded by their love for a band

Exactly
I totaly agree with the fact that Candlemass was the weakest of the ten nominees and I didn't imagine that they would be even on the top three , it is a shame PoG didn't won
And though being a fan of Immortal I say they should not have won with much better releases from Wolves in the Throne Room and OP and Shining

Overrated Epica? Man, did you even listened to the album?
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.03.2010 - 12:05
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted in 13 categories and 4 of my votes won, not to bad . My votes were the following:

Alternative: Amesoeurs
Atmospheric: Leaves' Eyes
Black: Wolves In The Throne Room
Death: Behemoth
Doom: Process Of Guilt
Extreme Doom: Ahab
Gothic: Trail Of Tears
Heavy: Slough Feg
Melodeath: Be'lakor
Folk: Finsterforst
Avantgarde: Diablo Swing Orchestra
Best Cover: Fferyllt
Debut: Oranssi Pazuzu
01.03.2010 - 12:16
Looks like it was more about whose names were most well known. God knows Ensiferum and Sonata's new albums deserve nothing but a facepalm.
01.03.2010 - 12:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by annodomini on 01.03.2010 at 12:03

Written by InnerSelf on 01.03.2010 at 11:53

Exactly

Overrated Epica? Man, did you even listened to the album?

Yes I did
and it is nothing but the old cliche
not that it is bad but Whyzdom easyly beats the crap out of it
----
is not bold enough
01.03.2010 - 12:28
annodomini
Experience. Their compositions aren't so well written yet. I personally voted for Madder Mortem, but Epica is worthy this award for sure, cause they switched to much more heavy direction, their compositions more complex and dynamic, and you say that EPica is old cliche, well Whyzdom is far from original as well. Music is like After Forever and Angtoria clones, so I believe that Whyzdom can beat Epica, but not this time.
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.03.2010 - 12:44
Nergal
My bet on Behemoth victory turned out to be the right choice
But why not Cosmogenesis as biggest surprise??? You say, they were already good before... But I think Obscura improved a lot with their latest opus... What do you think about that???
01.03.2010 - 12:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by annodomini on 01.03.2010 at 12:28

Experience. Their compositions aren't so well written yet. I personally voted for Madder Mortem, but Epica is worthy this award for sure, cause they switched to much more heavy direction, their compositions more complex and dynamic, and you say that EPica is old cliche, well Whyzdom is far from original as well. Music is like After Forever and Angtoria clones, so I believe that Whyzdom can beat Epica, but not this time.

If you put it out like this I would agree with you
I do think that epica progressed a bit but to be honest Epica is not my favorite kind of music
I think Whyzdom might be the next big name in the genre
----
is not bold enough
01.03.2010 - 13:12
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
At everyone bitching about the results: did you seriously expect Oranssi Pazuzu to beat an established name like Immortal? Did you really see Kalisia getting more votes than Dream Theater? The results were totally predictable as every year. In fact we could skip the whole voting thing and hand out awards to Dream Theater, Behemoth and Immortal directly. The reason why we are doing it after all are people like you. People who keep bitching about the results. People who have listened to the other bands we nominated (and thus promoted to the same level as the big names) and who might have discovered some gems you wouldn't have found otherwise. People who acknowledge our efforts, and of course the efforts of the lesser well known bands, and who give us a reason to go through all this hassle year after year. So thanks a lot to you! You now may proceed with the bitching
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.03.2010 - 13:28
In Bone Factory
Most of winners do not deserve awards.espicialy in these genres:
Progressive - Doom - Pagan/Viking/Folk - Power
----
The End Is Nigh ...
01.03.2010 - 13:30
Acros
Dream Theater Best Progressive metal? WTF? O_o
01.03.2010 - 15:14
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Kind of makes me wonder if 2 votes per person (the second vote would count less than the original) would make the result more "dynamic".
01.03.2010 - 15:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I was very surprised DT won but then again, they have more fans, so in the end... I voted for Riverside
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2010 - 15:53
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
What a surprised...the same bands winning the same awards again. Is it just me or is this whole "Awards" bullshit becoming more and more predictable and waste of time? We all knew from the Nominations who were going to end up winning...so whats the point even voting?
01.03.2010 - 15:58
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Mmmmmm all results as predicted ,, BIG NAMES ,, BIG VOTES ,, just for ex: Dream theater, Megadeth
& Candlemass dosent deserve there WINS ,,
but it was really great to see KREATOR in the front places ,, and just depending on the WRITE-IN votes ,, also it was nice to see COBLAT-GIN ,, the tr00 best BM IMO ,, came to the list in the end,,

AFTER ALL, i guess it was REALLY gr8 year ov METAL
01.03.2010 - 16:01
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2010 at 10:27

Written by the stranger on 01.03.2010 at 02:01

Profetus only got 13 votes. I feel kvlt.

I was one of the 11 people who voted for Harvestman in the alternative category and Impetuous Ritual didn't even make it to the best ten... That one was just horrible to watch man, but at the same time I feel great, fuck Evangelion...
I really like both albums, but I did not vote for Impetuous Ritual because I didn't have time check out all the Death Metal nominations. As for Harvestman, it was cool and as the description said, great for winding down, but I just liked Waltari more

Would like to see more other members such as MeloDeathViking, Elio, K?ulu, BloodTears, Dangerboner etc see what they feel and who they voted for, so I guess I'll talk more...

I personally voted in 12 best album categories and did not vote in Black, Death, Extreme Doom, Grindcore, Folk and Avantgarde/Post because I am not normally into those genres or did not have time to trawl through all of the nominations. Only my vote for Amorphis's "Skyforger" matched public opinion, which was not expected as I thought there would be hoards voting for Heaven And Hell. It was a tough choice b/w Amorphis, Bloodbound and W.A.S.P.

In the Alt. Metal category, I've discovered City Of Fire (okay, I'm not a Fear Factory fan). Though it lacks consistency imo, some of the songs are really fantastic, but I voted for Waltari w/o hesitation as it totally rocked my socks off XD

Atmospheric / Symphonic: Amberian Dawn was pretty rubbish for me tbh... Anyway, I was mainly choosing b/w Delain, Epica and Madder Mortem and tbh I liked all three equally. I knew Epica was going to win so I tossed the coin b/w Madder Mortem and Delain.

Doom: Out of all the categories I've voted in, this was the category (along with Metalcore) which had the most nominations I haven't listened to prior the awards. I've discovered The 11th Hour, though I still leaned towards Isole and While Heaven Wept. I originally voted for WHW, then changed my mind to Isole w/ no regrets as WHW's second half lacked the quality seen in the first half.

Gothic: Somehow I didn't think Katatonia would win as I completely dismissed them after listening to "Night Is The New Day" and was betting on Paradise Lost. Guess I was dumb as I did not check the popularity index. Speaking of Paradise Lost, I really liked "Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us" and wouldn't have minded voting for them, but I didn't and opted for Cemetery Of Scream which was the only album which I did not listen to before the awards, other than Lacrimosa. Elis was v average imo while Vanguard was just trying to be fancy w/ the violin and cello w/o actually integrating them into the music or playing a more active role. But I suppose it's hard to find bands in the likes of Hevein and Dominia...

Melodeath / Gothenburg: What a weak year for the genre... Even more disappointing is to see some of the bands which got nominated, like EtoS and Insomnium. Luna Mortis was just downright not good imo. If I was forced to vote only the nominations, I would go for Be'lakor too, but I wrote in for Fractal Gates simply because I think it's my favourite release of the genre in 2009. Novermbers Doom and Nightrage are pretty decent though after giving more thought and listens to them.

Metalcore: Originally voted for Converge, but I knew they would win anyway, and I found that Black Bomb A and The Agonist were both very good anyway, so I voted for Black Bomb A anyway, though I'm quite happy Converge won as they deserve it. I've got issues with whoever nominated "It Dies Today - Lividity". Such an awful album it really made me cringe o.0

Power: Relative to 2008, 2009 was a pretty bad year for Power Metal. Only had to choose b/w Dark Moor and Fairyland. I voted for Fairyland in the end. Where is Anubis Gate? >:

Progressive: A damn strong year for prog and I was almost literally torn just to decide who to vote for. Was rather disappointed that Shadow Gallery, To-Mera and DGM did not make it to the awards, but I had enough to handle already with Riverside, Freak Kitchen, Kalisia and Devin Townsend. Voted for Devin in the end... I have to say I'm addicted!

Stoner / Sludge: Don't listen to these two genres a lot, but seeing that I've already listened to 6 out of the 10 nominations, I thought might as well. Birds Of Prey almost changed my mind, but yeah, still stuck with Kylesa in the end (= Church Of Misery, Om, Saviours, Shrinebuilder and Tombs are all v worthy

Thrash: My first reaction when I saw the list of nominations was "WTH is Endgame doing there?" That aside, I really liked Savage Messiah, Artillery, Gama Bomb, Slayer, Suicidal Angels and would have been glad to vote for any of them, but I thought Profane Omen was the clear winner. Was surprised that they've got 72 votes in the end. Good job guys ^ ^

All in all I guess I'm quite happy with the MS 2009 awards. It's not about who won and who didn't, but discovering new music which I did. It was what got me here in the first place last year when I got blown away by so many of the nominations and may I express my heartfelt thanks to all the staff here for making it possible. It's been a long way since last year when my only metal experience was Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica, Kamelot, Children Of Bodom and Metallica...

Oh, still want to bitch a bit anyway... Was v disappointed not to see Thy Catafalque be nominated D:

My lo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0ongest post ever. Sorry for the spammage ^ ^"y
----
loves 小巫
01.03.2010 - 16:39
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I think the results are ok, nothing to criticise there. But Im just confused about something... How can an album win something if its not released yet...? It would make a little more sense if 'Time' by Wintersun was in the Best Drama category (I guess?)... but biggest letdown? I still don't know how the hell that's possible. Lol
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
01.03.2010 - 16:49
Dominus
The Shooter
Wintersun the biggest letdown???

Hits total: 13930 | This month: 21