Metal Storm logo
Emperor

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 06.08.2006 - 22:23
I just saw my all-time favorite band Emperor live at Wacken 2006. And I now see that theese almighty guys doesnt even have a thread here! Well here I am to worship the Emperor. Lets chat a little about Emperor.

What do you think about Emperor and why?
What is your fav. albums / songs / cover art
Is there any --> good <-- similar bands to any of Emperor's diffrent sounds.

You get the idea mates just get a discussion running of this awesome band.

And one more thing, no meaningless posts like "Emperor sucks" or "Emperor rocks". Please put a little more effort, its more fun to read for everyone.

/Cheers Basso
01.12.2008 - 15:50
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Oh how genius are Curse You All Men!, I am the Black Wizards, and all Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk album..Ah! Emperor is the best Sympho Black Metal band..am..is that true that In The Nightshade Eclipse album is true Black???????? many of my friends say that it is True Black..but how?? it is still Sympho Black, isn't it???????
01.12.2008 - 15:53
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Ah..i forgot..and somewhere i've heard that Prometheus is Progressive Metal..is it right???
01.12.2008 - 16:38
Khaldi
Written by Guest on 01.12.2008 at 15:50

am..is that true that In The Nightshade Eclipse album is true Black???????? many of my friends say that it is True Black..but how?? it is still Sympho Black, isn't it???????

i'm somewhere read about a definition true black
-1. Black metal be called true if quantity of blows reached from 50 to 700 / in 1 second
2. In there must be absent atmospheric keyboards .. maybe its a bullshit

by this definition it's not .
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
01.12.2008 - 16:39
Khaldi
Written by Guest on 01.12.2008 at 15:53

Ah..i forgot..and somewhere i've heard that Prometheus is Progressive Metal..is it right???

yes it's a progressive black metal .
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
09.12.2008 - 03:14
Land Of Doom
Hi The first thing I want to say that the Emperor band Sing Symphonick black

The second thing the band made many good albums and i think the best album is Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Maybe they aren't from the best black metal but i think in the same time they aren't frome the bad bands too
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
09.12.2008 - 05:43
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I've listened to some material off their first album not too long ago and I can't say it's that great as some make it out to be. This is mainly because of the production which is just bad, i don't give a shit if it's more kvlt, i like to hear the music properly.
Unless they were sort of a doom/shoegaze/ambient kind of band or simple straightforward BM like Darkthrone or whatever i don't see the reason for such a horrible production because there's quite a bit going on in the songs.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.01.2009 - 11:25
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I recently got Prometheus and its a bit... different. The progressive side is really shown on it. At first I was a bit thrown of and didn't really "get" it. Its growing on me though. The songs; Empty, Grey, and In the Wordless Chamber are killer
----
Coldgrits
15.01.2009 - 17:13
TheBigRossowski
Written by Visioneerie on 09.12.2008 at 05:43

I've listened to some material off their first album not too long ago and I can't say it's that great as some make it out to be. This is mainly because of the production which is just bad, i don't give a shit if it's more kvlt, i like to hear the music properly.
Unless they were sort of a doom/shoegaze/ambient kind of band or simple straightforward BM like Darkthrone or whatever i don't see the reason for such a horrible production because there's quite a bit going on in the songs.

You mean like 'In The Nightside Eclipse' or 'Wrath of the Tyrant' type material? Either way, they were both poor in production, but lot of earlier bands had this problem. They didn't have the luxury to make it nice and fancy in a studio and what not. This wasn't a shot at being 'cult', but nothing having proper material. 'In the Nightside Eclipse' will grow on you, you just have to give it time. At this point you just can't wrap yourself around the poor production, but you will get past that.

If you still can't stand it, check out Anthems...

That album will surely piss on your rug.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
21.01.2009 - 22:31
Galar
Wicked Mung
Was listening to Thorns-Thorns earlier today, and I kept thinking to myself it sounded like newer Emperor(the progressive shit and whatnot)
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
27.01.2009 - 02:54
Got Mayhem?
I think all the Albums were good... compare it to the other stuff that was comming out of the area 10-15 years ago and it blows alot of it away.

Not to mention Ihsahn has gone solo, though his albums are more progressive than the last two Emperor albums.
----
27.01.2009 - 19:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Hey all! I hope someone here can help me out. I've had many people the last several months tell me I should check out Emperor, but my question is, what should I check out? I am not much of a Black Metal fan to begin with, but I do tend to like the Progressive and Melodic type bands, like Kekal, Extol and Borknagar. So any suggestions for me?
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2009 - 19:56
Sunioj
Written by Dane Train on 27.01.2009 at 19:52

Hey all! I hope someone here can help me out. I've had many people the last several months tell me I should check out Emperor, but my question is, what should I check out? I am not much of a Black Metal fan to begin with, but I do tend to like the Progressive and Melodic type bands, like Kekal, Extol and Borknagar. So any suggestions for me?

By the way you describe your tastes, I actually think it would suit you to check out 'IX Equilibrium' and 'Prometheus..'. Though their first two are heavily praised as classics, I sincerely think that the later albums are much more unique and have this very epic atmosphere but yet very musically intricate.

I also prefer the later albums too at this point. I used to be mad about the first two albums but I overplayed them.
27.01.2009 - 22:48
rageing atheist
Account deleted

I think you should probably start with Prometheus, imo it is their strongest full-length (I like the pre ITNE material most, but it probably wouldn't be a good place to start for you). A lot of people hate that album and newer Emperor in general though, so maybe it would be better to find some songs from Prometheus streaming online (youtube, myspace) and see whether you like them. Or download it, if you do not have a problem with downloading albums.
28.01.2009 - 02:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.01.2009 at 17:13

Written by Visioneerie on 09.12.2008 at 05:43

You mean like 'In The Nightside Eclipse' or 'Wrath of the Tyrant' type material? Either way, they were both poor in production, but lot of earlier bands had this problem. They didn't have the luxury to make it nice and fancy in a studio and what not. This wasn't a shot at being 'cult', but nothing having proper material. 'In the Nightside Eclipse' will grow on you, you just have to give it time. At this point you just can't wrap yourself around the poor production, but you will get past that.

If you still can't stand it, check out Anthems...

That album will surely piss on your rug.

Per something that either Ihsahn or Samoth said in a Terrorizer I have (dated like 2007), when going over their old works, they mentioned that "Wrath of the Tyrant" was recorded in an old bank vault on a four track. That's probably why it sounds like shit, in the parlance of our times. it probably wasn't until "Anthems..." that they had a semi-decent budget to cut an album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2009 - 02:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

to third what's been said, you might find "Prometheus" intriguing. Emperor (Ihsahn, really) showed progressive elements while the band kept one foot squarely in the BM camp.

I wouldn't bother with "IX Equilibrium" if interested in progressive stuff until you've checked out "Prometheus" first. It's one foot in BM, one foot in Death Metal... it sounds like a proto-Zyklon album in some regards. It has some progressive edges to it, but less obviously so than "Prometheus." It's probably their weakest album, all in all, and if you don't like/aren't moved by "Prometheus", "IX" probably won't do anything for you either.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.01.2009 - 21:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'll look into those albums. I know the records store I shop at has them on vinyl, so I'll probably get those.
----
(space for rent)
29.04.2009 - 13:15
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
THe musicianship of this band is amazing. The best album they have done is IX Equilibrium. As it is the way this band captures cacaphony and makes it into total order is entirely amazing. Hail to the Emperor! Ihsahn's solo stuff is pretty damn good as well.
----
29.04.2009 - 20:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ph0eNiX on 29.04.2009 at 13:15

Ihsahn's solo stuff is pretty damn good as well.

Yes it is but it wont be Emperor I think best album was ''IN Nightside Eclipse'' Im Black Wizards and Kosmev Keys To My Ceraturtes N Times'' are awesome songs, this album its more BM whit not such avangardic touches, even all all CD's are good this is special
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2009 - 00:51
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
When I got that album it opened me up to the whole black metal scene. I sorta got that album on a whim. The best way to put it is that the album grows on you. I do agree that there's a really cool sorta atmosphere that album has that really makes it unique. I love the tracks you like on there too.
----
30.04.2009 - 02:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Got the new live album(s) today. haven't listened to them yet, but the second disc seems fairly pointless unless you were at that show... the song list and order is the same as on the first disk, only with a few less songs in the set. the only difference is they close with "opus a satana" rather than "inno"... will be listening to them later, but just seems odd to package two nearly identical live sets.
----

30.04.2009 - 12:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ph0eNiX on 30.04.2009 at 00:51

When I got that album it opened me up to the whole black metal scene. I sorta got that album on a whim. The best way to put it is that the album grows on you. I do agree that there's a really cool sorta atmosphere that album has that really makes it unique. I love the tracks you like on there too.

Same here In Nightside Eclipse was one of albums who makes me dig deeper into BM scene
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2009 - 13:21
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
On another note, say I've come to know black metal by Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and have since been trying to find another bm album with such strength and speed. Unsuccessfully that is. Are there other bands out there that play such atmospheric and yet extreme metal or is emperor really one unique item? I've come to find their music so elaborate that most other bm I tried just sounds boring (can't help it). If any of you dug-in-deep bm fans that thoroughly enjoy early emperor could recommend one or the other album that might catch my attention as well I'd be really grateful.
----
30.04.2009 - 21:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ah i figured out why the second disk with pretty much the same stuff on it... the first one does not work on any device i have that was manufactured after 1999.
----

07.07.2009 - 07:37
Galar
Wicked Mung
New DVD is seriously bad ass. Glad I got it.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
26.07.2009 - 00:20
wormdrink414
Elite
I've read that Emperor is considered one of the most accessible "true" Black Metal bands leading me to conclude that accessibility is characterized by decent production quality, a sensible and sometimes interesting music structure, and non-punk-like talent (or a lack thereof) with the instruments played.
This has been a slight to most black metal bands in case I wasn't clear. Then again I understand black metal is as much a philosophical and cultural statement as it is a genre of metal, but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy it. None of this is to say I dislike all black metal though. I can't get enough Naglfar and, sometimes, Emperor. Quorthon was also worthy of the fan base he developed, as is Immortal and Marduk.
16.01.2011 - 02:11
Axe Argonian
I really wish that these guys would get back together at some point and record another album. Ihsahn is a good solo artist, but honestly, he's more awesome when performing with Emperor. I think everyone here can agree on that.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
16.01.2011 - 11:18
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Axe Argonian on 16.01.2011 at 02:11

I really wish that these guys would get back together at some point and record another album. Ihsahn is a good solo artist, but honestly, he's more awesome when performing with Emperor. I think everyone here can agree on that.

Hell no! Emperor are among the few bands who knew when to stop before ridiculing their legacy. Ihsahn obviously doesn't care about black metal anymore and luckily he doesn't use the Emperor brand to sell his solo output. Prometheus basically was his first solo album and that hardly suits it's label. I do agree that I'd love to see them live one more time. But please don't make them become Avantasia, Tristania, Theatre Of Tragedy and Dimmu Borgir.
----
16.01.2011 - 21:59
Axe Argonian
Written by corrupt on 16.01.2011 at 11:18

Written by Axe Argonian on 16.01.2011 at 02:11

Hell no! Emperor are among the few bands who knew when to stop before ridiculing their legacy. Ihsahn obviously doesn't care about black metal anymore and luckily he doesn't use the Emperor brand to sell his solo output. Prometheus basically was his first solo album and that hardly suits it's label. I do agree that I'd love to see them live one more time. But please don't make them become Avantasia, Tristania, Theatre Of Tragedy and Dimmu Borgir.

I guess that is quite logical, for too many bands have derided their legacy by continuing past the point where they should have stopped.

However, while your words are quite true, bands like the very talented Enslaved are still going strong even after performing for so many years. In fact, unlike many other bands, Enslaved have become better with time, making it quite apparent that as long as a band possesses creativity and talent they can still be successful without tarnishing their past.

Therefore, if Emperor wanted to come back one day and record another album, they would probably contrive something marvelous. However, I do understand what you mean. Regardless of any album possibilities, I truly do hope that every few years Emperor will return to perform for the fans, for you and I both know that Emperor's fan base is quite a perpetually dedicated fan base.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
17.01.2011 - 10:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Axe Argonian on 16.01.2011 at 21:59

I guess that is quite logical, for too many bands have derided their legacy by continuing past the point where they should have stopped.

However, while your words are quite true, bands like the very talented Enslaved are still going strong even after performing for so many years. In fact, unlike many other bands, Enslaved have become better with time, making it quite apparent that as long as a band possesses creativity and talent they can still be successful without tarnishing their past.

Therefore, if Emperor wanted to come back one day and record another album, they would probably contrive something marvelous. However, I do understand what you mean. Regardless of any album possibilities, I truly do hope that every few years Emperor will return to perform for the fans, for you and I both know that Emperor's fan base is quite a perpetually dedicated fan base.

And that is to a certain degree because they didn't fuck up. Enslaved are the one example of a band managing to retain a high level of quality. But they did what most bands do when they lose their jive, they went progressive. Only Enslaved did that before destroying anything their fans loved about them. Going progressive from whatever you did before is pretty much the only way to keep your music interesting after a while. That is especially true for styles that have a narrow bandwidth in sound. But most bands come to a point where their members decide they've now grown up and become better musicians. That's when they start to throw in classical instruments, whole orchestras even or think they need to experiment with synths so heavy, they drown the music, going for simple rhythms and melodies because they think they need to convey something. I've seen it so often and I always regarded Emperor the one band knowing their time and being brave enough to draw the line even though they had new ideas. I'd hate to see that ruined. Even Prometheus, if released under the Ihsahn brand would have been a smart move. It's a great album, but as I said: bandwidth
----
02.08.2013 - 21:34
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Axe Argonian on 16.01.2011 at 21:59

Regardless of any album possibilities, I truly do hope that every few years Emperor will return to perform for the fans, for you and I both know that Emperor's fan base is quite a perpetually dedicated fan base.

It seems your request has been heard. Emperor will reunite at Wacken 2014 as headliners!