Metal Storm logo
Edguy

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 16:55
What do you think of Edguy? The band are getting increasingly more popular and are a current favourite of mine as of late. My favourite album is Hellfire Club, probably followed by Mandrake and my favourite all time song for this band is 'Mysteria'. Tobias Sammet's vocals are off the scale in this track and there's a nice emotional guitar solo in it.

Anyhow, feel free to post yours thoughts on the band here.
29.03.2007 - 10:05
Yohan
Written by Guest on 08.11.2006 at 01:18

Written by Soliloquy on 07.11.2006 at 20:19

and whats up with the name? i'm not really a fan of their name. and how would/do you say it? 'ed' as in 'edward'? and 'guy' as in 'go fuck another guy, while you're at it!'? meh...

Yeah, I avoided the band at first due to the name, thankfully I did give them a chance...edguy...well, Tobias Sammet started the band at 14-15 or something, and they named it after a teacher they liked...or something like that.

heh, they didn't like him =P they took the name to mess with him "theachers name Edgar Zimmerer"
and its pronounced just like ed + guy... =)
----
tombstone.fi
24.06.2007 - 06:34
Judas
The Amputator
Tobi pronounces the shit out of every single word on every album until 'Mandrake'. I've noticed it before, but listening to 'Land of the Miracle' now, it's so ridiculous, he accentuates every single syllable, while singing with the most vibrato that you could imagine. Still one hell of a cool dude though.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.11.2007 - 12:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i have recently got their albums Theater of Salvation and Mandrake and damn, they are the real kings of speed metal love them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.11.2007 - 14:14
sleeping sun
uhm....i like them , i like to listen to theyre songs .......uhm , yeah i can say that they are verry good , i mean between all the bands playing the same genre , i prefer Edguy .
----
....You can close your eyes to reality , but not to memories.....
17.11.2007 - 13:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hellfire Club - their very best album of all
----

20.11.2007 - 01:53
APOHAKC
The Bard
Damn, they canceled Serbian show , supposed to be played in one week
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.12.2007 - 12:09
NaittsirK
Yes it has been canceled because the organisators booked the concert but not the place were they were supposed to preform
----
Between two worlds I am quested not to be...
11.12.2007 - 13:34
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@NaittsirK: haha that's a pretty stupid move...how on Earth can you not book the venue
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.12.2007 - 18:53
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by GT on 11.12.2007 at 13:34

@NaittsirK: haha that's a pretty stupid move...how on Earth can you not book the venue

Welcome to Serbia mate haha

Once, some retards wanted to organize some festival, so they put their favorite bands on the reformers list, booked the venue, made posters, web page, even tickets, and then, they decided to inform those bands, from 12 bands they wanted to play only Ensiferum agreed cause they said it was funny how they imagine fest and contacted them so they agreed
----
11.12.2007 - 19:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
hahaha...i wanna make festival with Nightwish, Manowar, Rhapsody, Edguy, Dreamtale, Moonsorrow, Virgin Steele and DragonForce...it will be held in august on the meadow behind my house...you are all wellcome
----

11.12.2007 - 20:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
You don't have to tell me twice!!! I am so there, please mate, make sure there is enough beer to fill every cm of my veins with two liters of beer per second!

MANOWAR!
----
11.12.2007 - 21:01
nehrodwarf
Well, I've heard some of them, and they're amazing!!!!!!!!

mainly, like written above, Mysteria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and have some musics that I don't remember

Merry X-mas and a Great new year!!!!!!
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
11.12.2007 - 21:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
what have all the people with Mysteria especially this song i dont like at all...
----

12.12.2007 - 16:07
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah mate, me nether..
----
12.12.2007 - 19:42
baldur
maybe cause it is one of the best tracks on hellfire club and cause hellfire club is one of the best albums of
edguy mysteria is one of the best tracks of edguy?!?!?!?!?!
12.12.2007 - 21:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well...but i dont think Mysteria is "one of the best tracks on Hellfire club", man...for me it is Piper Never Dies, Spirit Will Remain and Raise Of The Morning Glory...and i held Theater Of Salvation as the best Edguy´s album
----

13.12.2007 - 13:22
APOHAKC
The Bard
Raise of the Morning Glory is my favorite track from that album, and in generally, I don't really like that album much, Piper Never Dies is a good song, but I don't understand how they managed to write such a stupid lyric, I mean, that is the probably most stupid lyric I have read in whole my life.
----
13.12.2007 - 23:22
VPeter
who calls his band band Edguy? one of the worst name's you can imigane. their music is quite okay tough.
13.12.2007 - 23:27
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Edguy definably stands out in the power metal scene.... They are really unique and after edguy a shit lot of bands poped up with a similar style
----
13.12.2007 - 23:50
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 13.12.2007 at 23:22

who calls his band band Edguy? one of the worst name's you can imigane. their music is quite okay tough.

what does the name actually mean? is there some reference to Eddie [The Mascot for Iron Maiden]
14.12.2007 - 17:56
APOHAKC
The Bard
I don't know, but I agree with Tir Na Og, they really have problems with humor ( cause I heard it supposed to be funny, well, in some weird kind of way, it is), and their lyrics!

Maybe they should get a writer or something, cause they are surely among the most stupid lyrics in Heavy Metal...
----
14.12.2007 - 22:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
who do you think created the idea and wrote the most of the lyrics for Avantasia's Metal Opera? i'll bet it is the same person who writes "stupid lyrics" of Edguy - Tobias Sammet :p

and about the name - what is actually so bad on it? nor more stupid nor more clever than any other band name...
----

16.12.2007 - 10:58
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I fail to see the badness in the band name...it's not worse than many other names. The lyrics are stupid you say? Well many bands are guilty in making stupid lyrics and I don't think these lyrics are the worst at all
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.12.2007 - 18:11
Finicella
Account deleted
Yesterday I listened to "New Age Messiah" and I kinda thought that this song had much of a christmas song. Of course that's stupid if you take a look at the lyrics, but the melodies and also the vocals reminded me of christmas.
That's one thing I love about Edguy: They have songs which put you in a specific mood. And normally that's very positive.
20.12.2007 - 00:56
Snockis
Hm one favorite song of theirs is actually from their first album, savage poetry, the song Hallowed, quite simple song, but catchy as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDDsibV1Pm4
Only got 2 albums, Hellfire Club and Mandrake.
2 good albums imo:P
20.12.2007 - 19:52
VPeter
they are indeed very cheesy, then again wich power metal isn't cheesy? most of them are.
21.12.2007 - 08:52
Judas
The Amputator
Edguy's humour is a little strange in the same way as Helloween's humour, and I don't think it's actually meant to be really 'funny'. Or maybe Tobi is just a really odd person...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.12.2007 - 12:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i enjoy they "crazyness" like in songs like Trinidad (from Rocked Ride)...or the "bonus" on Theater Of Salvation crazy but funny and showing they are not "living and dying" for their music, but they just enjoy it...because whole life is about enjoying
----

24.12.2007 - 19:45
Ascalon
Edguy doesn't fit inthe traditional power metal scene .. they includes in their music other elements, and in their lyrics all the "crazyness" of Sammet's mind ... so the really are an unique band ... a real good band !!

Then about the name ... what's the point ... ?? Maybe it's not a powerful name ... but they don't want to tell anything with it ... and I read once that "Edguy" come from the nickname of a math teacher that they have in scholl that was tall and really thin ... something like that I 0dn't remember quite well...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
14.02.2008 - 15:10
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
In a recent interview on Metal Asylum, Tobias Sammet has given few words about the next Edguy's album.

Full interview here.

(for lazy people, the end of the interview )