Metal Storm logo
Edguy

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 16:55
What do you think of Edguy? The band are getting increasingly more popular and are a current favourite of mine as of late. My favourite album is Hellfire Club, probably followed by Mandrake and my favourite all time song for this band is 'Mysteria'. Tobias Sammet's vocals are off the scale in this track and there's a nice emotional guitar solo in it.

Anyhow, feel free to post yours thoughts on the band here.
03.01.2009 - 15:35
Black_Sheep
The new album sucks. Rocket Ride sucks. And the new Avantasia sucks as well. There's nothing power metal anymore, it's just pure hard rock gargabe. Too bad, since Edguy used to be one of my fav powermetal bands back in the days of Mandrake etc...
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
08.01.2009 - 15:29
AGROFAN1210
Account deleted
Black Sheep has a point
Edguy are now more like a rock band
but still a big fan anyway
09.01.2009 - 16:40
Hrothdane
Edguy's funny/weird songs were good for a change of pace on their earlier albums, but an entire album of that its just too much silliness.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
27.03.2009 - 01:27
Lord_Regnier
Written by Black_Sheep on 03.01.2009 at 15:35

The new album sucks. Rocket Ride sucks. And the new Avantasia sucks as well. There's nothing power metal anymore, it's just pure hard rock gargabe.

I totally agree.

Glad to see you here, Black_Sheep. I never visit the other forum (you know which one) but I hope we'll keep in contact with each other.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.03.2009 - 16:26
Black_Sheep
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 01:27

Written by Black_Sheep on 03.01.2009 at 15:35

The new album sucks. Rocket Ride sucks. And the new Avantasia sucks as well. There's nothing power metal anymore, it's just pure hard rock gargabe.

I totally agree.

Glad to see you here, Black_Sheep. I never visit the other forum (you know which one) but I hope we'll keep in contact with each other.

Great to see you here, Lord. Im happy to see you chose MS after all. I also hope that we stay in touch

---
And sorry for the offtopic.
----
28.03.2009 - 17:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by Black_Sheep on 28.03.2009 at 16:26

Great to see you here, Lord. Im happy to see you chose MS after all. I also hope that we stay in touch

---

It doesn't mean I'll stick to Metalstorm exclusively. I can tell you I like the mentality here much more because you can post criticism without being attacked by fanboys, you can have your own opinion.

I'm browsing the net to find the best forums to talk of matters related mostly to Black Metal these days.
----
28.03.2009 - 18:13
Zelse
I liked Rocket Ride, and I really like Tinnitus Sanctus. It's different than Hellfire Club and Mandrake which are their best albums imo, but they're great in their own way. Can't wait for the DVD they just announced.
28.03.2009 - 22:26
Black_Sheep
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.03.2009 at 17:20

Written by Black_Sheep on 28.03.2009 at 16:26

---

It doesn't mean I'll stick to Metalstorm exclusively. I can tell you I like the mentality here much more because you can post criticism without being attacked by fanboys, you can have your own opinion.

I'm browsing the net to find the best forums to talk of matters related mostly to Black Metal these days.

I like this forum also. Did you have time to check out ultimate metal forum?
----
11.04.2009 - 01:01
Nardy7
I'm a huge fan of their earlier works, but as of recently, not so much. Tinnitus Sanctus is pure rubbish and Rocket Ride isn't too far behind.
16.05.2009 - 21:39
Their early albums were OK, but the last two are real torture for me. I get to hear them way to often because of some of my friends. I sure wish Sammet would return to the roots...
17.05.2009 - 18:48
Janne
Hugin
Written by Scornful Curse on 16.05.2009 at 21:39

Their early albums were OK, but the last two are real torture for me. I get to hear them way to often becouse of some of my friends. I sure wish Sammet would return to the roots...

You can wish but he won't.. though I agree with you and wish the same.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
18.05.2009 - 05:48
Zelse
Drastic change in style from Hellfire Club to Tinnitus Sanctus. Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus are much more hard rock type music, Hellfire's a great power metal album. I love them all, though.
19.05.2009 - 15:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Zelse on 18.05.2009 at 05:48

Drastic change in style from Hellfire Club to Tinnitus Sanctus. Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus are much more hard rock type music

"Rocket Ride" and "Tinnitus Sanctus" are not metal but despicable commercial cock rock, from my point of view. Abysmal garbage. They should have changed their name for Tobiass and the Edgays after "Hellfire Club".

And I hate Sammet's cockiness. He's really an asshole.
----
20.05.2009 - 00:51
Zelse
I just don't understand the hate for the last two albums. Yea, they lean very much more towards a hard rock sound, but I don't exactly see that as a bad thing. I kind of like that they take the piss out of the whole thing, they don't take themselves really seriously (see that one live vid of Lavatory Love Machine where Tobias forgets the words, and the guitarists all sway they hips in time with each other, hah). At the same time they still create some really catchy, great stuff.

Would I like the older style to come back a bit? Most definitely. Do I hate the current direction they're taking? Not really.

Can't say anything about Sammet's attitude, though. Never really read or heard anything from the guy to make an accurate judgment of his personality.
26.05.2009 - 16:49
His Eminence
Account deleted
I really enjoy their new album. Even though it's not their old sound, it still is great in my opinion. I'd rather have them continue to evolve instead of releasing each new album in the vein of Mandrake and Hellfire Club. But that's just my two cents.
26.05.2009 - 17:21
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 26.05.2009 at 16:49

I'd rather have them continue to evolve instead of releasing each new album in the vein of Mandrake and Hellfire Club. But that's just my two cents.

Some people think like you and I respect this point of view, even if I absolutely don't share it and think the total opposite.

Personally, I can't help but to think going from good Powermetal to hard rock or glam is musical devolution. And it's crossing the line between metal and mainstream, commercial music. I know it's a bit elitist to think like that and I apologize if it hurts the feelings of some people but I always thought this way and it will never change. And I wonder why PM bands always take this path when they decide to change. Why not going in the opposite direction and become a bit more extreme for a change?
It's almost impossible to find very good PM nowadays because of this trend to turn into mainstream-ish hard rock. It's really boring.
----
30.06.2009 - 00:53
Edguy are great, one of my favorites. Hellfire Club is probably my favorite album of theirs, I don't really like TS it's just too hard rock for my taste, although there are a few songs that I like on the album. I'm hoping that they will go in a more Power Metal direction in the future, although it doesn't really seem like it's going to happen I was pretty disappointed with the new Avantasia too, it's a shame because The Metal Opera Pt. 1 was beyond amazing.

Hopefully they'll come to Florida one day too..
04.07.2009 - 13:53
Janne
Hugin
I've listened to them a lot in the last few days. I realised that I can't get bored of their music
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
07.07.2009 - 09:46
Redwolf
Yeah, that´s one curious thing about Edguy. You never get tired of the music. I must have listened to Rocket Ride like 50 times and it still sounds as good as it did the first few times. I got tired of Kamelot´s Epica after about 20 listens.
09.07.2009 - 04:55
Crème fraiche
I didn't mind Rocket Ride (except for Trinidad. That is pure garbage), and I like the newest Avantasia cd! But Tinnitus Sanctus very meh. The first 3 songs weren't TOO bad, but after that I have to switch to Hellfire Club or Mandrake. I really hope Toby get his shit together for the next album
10.07.2009 - 13:47
Janne
Hugin
I meant the old albums. I can only listen to the new ones as background music.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.07.2009 - 18:28
Zelse
Tinnitus is growing on me, though I can't say I've given it enough listens to really say I love any of the tracks yet (other than Dragonfly, which I've probably played a hundred times). I really like the first half, need to play the second half more though to get a feel of the other tracks. Speedhoven and 929 certainly are interesting...
10.07.2009 - 18:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by Zelse on 10.07.2009 at 18:28

Tinnitus is growing on me, though I can't say I've given it enough listens to really say I love any of the tracks yet (other than Dragonfly, which I've probably played a hundred times). I really like the first half, need to play the second half more though to get a feel of the other tracks. Speedhoven and 929 certainly are interesting...

Speedhoven was the song that I liked at first form Tinnitus Sanctus.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.07.2009 - 19:00
davidharris
Account deleted
I like the style change (Power Metal was good in the 90s, but it's become a joke nowadays), but we need a little bit of inspiration. Trinidad is great, BTW. You only need some humour, it's not intended to be taken seriously either lyrically or musically.
31.07.2009 - 10:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 30.07.2009 at 19:00

You only need some humour, it's not intended to be taken seriously either lyrically or musically.

totally agreed...Rocket Ride is not any worse album, when you got into it...and if nothing more - it was an experiment, how not to fall into stereotype like many other bands who are more than 10 years old do
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.09.2009 - 01:40
Zelse
Finally, I'm seeing Edguy live for the first time on Sunday. I'm getting there as early as possible to hopefully be up in the front. I'm going with two friends of mine and we all LOVE Edguy so this is going to be a great day. It shouldn't have taken this long to finally see these guys live, but now it's here!
11.09.2009 - 09:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am sure it will be great i liked Edguy before i saw them live, then i began to LOVE them
----

11.09.2009 - 14:25
Lord_Regnier
Since "Rocket Ride", Edguy are probably the most gay pseudo-metal band ever.
The perfect band for girls who have more interest for musicians's cocks than for quality music.
Even Manowar, which is a band I always disliked very much, beat Edguy hands down.
----
11.09.2009 - 14:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Another guy, who didnt noticed Rocket Ride is album for fun...and that Edguy members are about to do fun all the time...

if you dont find it funny, ok, stay away from them...but saying they are "gay pseudo-metal" because of it...
----

12.09.2009 - 02:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ellrohir on 11.09.2009 at 14:36

Another guy, who didnt noticed Rocket Ride is album for fun...and that Edguy members are about to do fun all the time...

Of course I know it's for fun. But I don't find anything funny in silly childish things.

As for this "gay pseudo-metal" comment, you can hardly deny that many songs on Edguy's latest two albums sound gay (same for Avantasia "The Scarecrow"). And it has nothing metal anymore. It's radio-friendly stuff for the mainstream masses.
----