Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
13.05.2010 - 21:26
Derwood
I have to admit that a melodic band with a female vocalist has an extra hurdle to overcome with me. It's not that it is a woman singing, its the way the vocals sound. I'm not a fan of the operatic style in general. More than anything, I want to hear power in metal vocals and I don't usually hear it with operatic vocals. It doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman singing, if the vocals are weak, I'm not interested. Tis issue is part of my general disdain for power metal.

Of the female vocalist I'm familiar with, London Wilde of WildeStarr is one I thoroughly enjoy listening to even if the music itself isn't always my thing. The only other one who comes to mind is Brittney Hayes of the relatively unknown Unleash the Archers. Brittney is even better live than she is on the album.

For extreme vocals, I don't care what the gender of the vocalist is. Deep grunts and solid, sustained growls are what I want to hear. It really doesn't matter if the one delivering them has breasts or not.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
14.05.2010 - 03:32
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Derwood on 13.05.2010 at 21:26

I have to admit that a melodic band with a female vocalist has an extra hurdle to overcome with me. It's not that it is a woman singing, its the way the vocals sound. I'm not a fan of the operatic style in general. More than anything, I want to hear power in metal vocals and I don't usually hear it with operatic vocals. It doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman singing, if the vocals are weak, I'm not interested. Tis issue is part of my general disdain for power metal.

Of the female vocalist I'm familiar with, London Wilde of WildeStarr is one I thoroughly enjoy listening to even if the music itself isn't always my thing. The only other one who comes to mind is Brittney Hayes of the relatively unknown Unleash the Archers. Brittney is even better live than she is on the album.

London Wilde is quite good indeed. Was just listening to "Arrival" the day before yesterday.

You should try Beautiful Sin / Virus IV and Benedictum. I think both vocalists have even more "power"
----
loves 小巫
14.05.2010 - 04:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 13.05.2010 at 21:05

Thanks for the pic *knees go weak once again*

That's hoiw she smiled smiled at me when I bought the Thorr's Hammer Roadburn shirt and she kept on telling me I didn't need an xxl shirt an xl would be good for my body as well. *sigh, weak knees once again*
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.05.2010 - 04:20
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Rofl, Marcel. You sound like a teenage boy on a crush
----
loves 小巫
14.05.2010 - 04:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 14.05.2010 at 04:20

Rofl, Marcel. You sound like a teenage boy on a crush

I am when I bump into Runhild *sniff*
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.05.2010 - 04:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
FFS just looook at that smile. That is enough to make every grown man go into a puddle of weak jelly snot.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.05.2010 - 05:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.05.2010 at 04:34

FFS just looook at that smile. That is enough to make every grown man go into a puddle of weak jelly snot.

She turns into a puddle of weak jelly snot when she sees MY smile.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.05.2010 - 05:38
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Lolol I cracked up... so glad I posted the pic XD
but yeah, she's hot
How's her normal talking voice?
----
loves 小巫
14.05.2010 - 12:07
Mikyz
Runhild Gammelsæter's album Amplicon is really weird, I've no idea what genre it qualifies at, but her growling it still as good as when she was in Thorr's Hammer, so can anyone clear this up for me? She also participated in Khlyst's Chaos in My Name which is a decent Drone release.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
15.05.2010 - 00:43
bkrownd
No need to generalize - if it works, it works. Arch Enemy with Angela works. Detente and Fear of God with Dawn Crosby worked. Bitch and Warlock had some good songs. I'm sure there are plenty more.
15.05.2010 - 02:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wow, I haven't posted in this thread yet...

As for the first poster's opinions, I disagree...female extreme metal growling is very good at portraying the anger...it was already mentioned that women like Angela are showing us this in Arch Enemy...I like her better than their previous vocalist anyway...

Aghora's Diana Serra rocks it hard too...
19.05.2010 - 05:12
Well I think as well that female vocalist should sing in symphonic metal, the best is Sharon Den Adel
----
"When you're one of the few to land on your feet, What do you do to make ends meet?!"
19.05.2010 - 11:54
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Doc G. on 14.05.2010 at 05:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.05.2010 at 04:34

She turns into a puddle of weak jelly snot when she sees MY smile.

Lol.
19.05.2010 - 11:55
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
I don't like them.I Love them.
19.05.2010 - 16:16
Roro
What do u have sgainst femal vocal, huh?! i believe a soft femal vocal could be charming, sad, blended with emotions and so easy accept.

and to Jonas, i like ur new cat
19.05.2010 - 19:37
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I don't hate female vocalists in metal. But so far I haven't heard too many female vocalists that have the same attitude that male vocalists do.

Although the singer for Hanzel Und Gretyl does have a lot of attitude.
19.05.2010 - 21:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Roro on 19.05.2010 at 16:16

What do u have sgainst femal vocal, huh?! i believe a soft femal vocal could be charming, sad, blended with emotions and so easy accept.

That sounds like metal to me. :
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.05.2010 - 03:55
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.04.2010 at 09:58

Nope. I know some people are surprised that I think that cos I am female myself, but I just dont think female voices work with metal at all. Angela Gossow is a rare exception, but she sounds quite masculine, so I dont really count her. There are many bands who have female vocalists who are great musically, but I just cant truly like them because of the vocals. To me, it just doesnt fit the music. So apart from rare exceptions like Angela Gossow, I dont like female vocals in metal bands.

My thoughts exactly. I don't like female vocalists in metal. Imo, they just don't fit.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.05.2010 - 04:04
Lord_Regnier
Written by Derwood on 13.05.2010 at 21:26

if the vocals are weak, I'm not interested. Tis issue is part of my general disdain for power metal.

Same here. In fact, I'm so used to harsh vocals now that it is very hard for me to like metal with clean vocals because they tend to sound weak in comparison. I usually don't mind a few cleans here and there, as long as they don't sound pop-ish, but I prefer harsh vocals by far.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.05.2010 - 07:13
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Honestly, male or female as long as the vocals work for the notes that's what matters. I also agree with Lord_Regenier's deal with harsh vox up top there. I generally tend to like gutteral and/or harsh vox because I think it carries with the intensity of the writing a lot better.
----
10.06.2010 - 12:51
busta5000
Account deleted
I like nightwish the vocals of this female finland singer Anette Olzon is amazing.
12.08.2010 - 03:23
Uller
I love Female vocalist, but in general dont like symphonic or progressive, i like melodic death so Arch Enemy, The Agonist and sceptic are my favorite bands with female singer, but I also like To-Mera and DSO, I also like the combination of gutural singing and female vocals like the ones on deadlock. But there are almost none bands with female vocals doing growl and soft, i have only found the agonist. In fact im searching for bands have this kind of vocals.

I found one song that at the beginning have this vocals, but its only at the beginning, i dont like the band, just that song. Does anyone knows other bands with this kind of vocals?

----
12.08.2010 - 10:22
ferm
Ye it is nice with female vocalists, sounds very Demonic when females is growling or screaming, and very beautiful with operatic vocals

My favourites are Kriegtalith from Darkestrah and Alexandra Pittracher (Former Darkwell)
12.08.2010 - 13:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Archetype on 19.04.2010 at 10:20

I find that I can really enjoy female vocals regardless of genre as long as the vocals suit the song and add to it rather than standing out like they don't belong.

This is prescisely why I dont like female vocals in metal. In almost all cases when I hear women singing metal, the voice just sounds totally out of place. It doesnt fit the music at all. A great example is a band called Crystal Viper. I really enjoy the music Ive heard from them, but I cant really get into the band because of the vocals. Its not that she cant sing, its that the vocals dont fit the music IMO. And there's other examples of this. Its just not my thing I guess. lol
12.08.2010 - 13:34
F0rang3l
I rarely like female vocalists in Metal, but Epica and Leave's Eyes are the bands that have got it right. It seems symphonic metal is the best option for female vocalists.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
12.08.2010 - 13:43
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ferm on 12.08.2010 at 10:22

Ye it is nice with female vocalists, sounds very Demonic when females is growling or screaming, and very beautiful with operatic vocals

My favourites are Kriegtalith from Darkestrah and Alexandra Pittracher (Former Darkwell)

Totally agree on Alexandra, she was awesome in Darkwell (Darkwell is actually a band from my hometown Innsbruck )
12.08.2010 - 13:48
ferm
Written by Diabolos on 12.08.2010 at 13:43

Totally agree on Alexandra, she was awesome in Darkwell (Darkwell is actually a band from my hometown Innsbruck )

Cool yeah she was really perfect in Darkwell, Suspiria was an awsome magic, epic album.
The new singer of Darkwell is not as good as her
12.08.2010 - 13:54
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ferm on 12.08.2010 at 13:48

Cool yeah she was really perfect in Darkwell, Suspiria was an awsome magic, epic album.

Yep, they still make good music (although their last album was released 6 years ago ), but not as good as with Alexandra . But I have to admit that I'm pretty excited for their new album, I hope it will be good
12.08.2010 - 13:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by F0rang3l on 12.08.2010 at 13:34

I rarely like female vocalists in Metal, but Epica and Leave's Eyes are the bands that have got it right. It seems symphonic metal is the best option for female vocalists.

Im not really a fan of symphonic metal with female vocals, and I think any metal that is harder musically just doesnt fit with female vocals. Unless its death vocals where they sound more like men than women.
12.08.2010 - 13:59
ferm
Written by Diabolos on 12.08.2010 at 13:54

Written by ferm on 12.08.2010 at 13:48

Yep, they still make good music (although their last album was released 6 years ago ), but not as good as with Alexandra . But I have to admit that I'm pretty excited for their new album, I hope it will be good

Yes, I can't wait for that album They're totally gonna rule on new album I hope