Metal Storm logo
Dark Tranquillity

Original post

Posted by Eight, 17.05.2006 - 18:47
We all well know, who they are and why we love them, right.
Lets talk of "whats your favorite album?" and, why you like them so much youve entered this topic, and stuff, you know what we did allready

My favourite album is "Character", i don't know why, maybe becouse i havent really listened much to others, but when i heard "Character" i was blunted
And one interesting fact i found here on MS that Niklas Sundin from Dark Tranquillity wrote the In Flames "Whoracle" lyrics.
13.06.2006 - 22:34
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Dark Tranquillity is one of the few melodic death metal bands that consistently tries to feed not only new and experimental matierial to their fans, but quality matierial as well. Rarely do melodic death metal bands reach the level of Dark Tranquillity, truly the best the entire genre has to offer.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
22.07.2006 - 01:52
Robstar
I had the change of checking these dudes out , last year here in Costa Rica, It was one ofthe best gigs I ever been to.. Awesome band.
I got all their shit, my favorite album man Character due to their evolution through the years..
Stay Metal !
----
Nothing is unreacheable
22.07.2006 - 02:29
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
My favourite album would have to be "Haven" (albeit one weak track) it was simply brilliant, especially the bonus track "cornered", as for their newer material, I'd have to say it's nearly as good, except "Character" lacks something in comparison to say "Damage Done" or "Haven", which is probably because of the monotonous riffing on couple of tracks, despite having some better tracks like "lost to apathy".
22.07.2006 - 02:43
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 22.07.2006 at 02:29

My favourite album would have to be "Haven" (albeit one weak track) it was simply brilliant, especially the bonus track "cornered", as for their newer material, I'd have to say it's nearly as good, except "Character" lacks something in comparison to say "Damage Done" or "Haven", which is probably because of the monotonous riffing on couple of tracks, despite having some better tracks like "lost to apathy".

Character is my favorite of theirs. Some of their best songs are on it, such as Lost to Apathy and One Thought.
22.07.2006 - 02:48
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 22.07.2006 at 02:43

Written by Guest on 22.07.2006 at 02:29

Character is my favorite of theirs. Some of their best songs are on it, such as Lost to Apathy and One Thought.

I won't dispute that, it's simply that it wasn't as interesting for me, although one thought is also a good track on "Character"
23.07.2006 - 02:55
Fane
Aye! Found this band about two weeks ago. Just great band!
About albums I have "Damage Done" and "Character". Both them are good. But maybe "Character" is better. It just have that "something". Dont know what is it...
I think the same as Dream_of_Hate. "Lost to Apathy" and "One Thought" are best songs!

np. Through Smudged Lenses
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
26.07.2006 - 14:26
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Damn it, this band has really grown on me! Dark Tranquillity is the band that opened my eyes for Melodic Death Metal, and now I listen to In Flames, Opeth and such. My favourite album by them has to be Damage Done, with such masterpieces as Monochromatic Stains (their best song by far), The Treason Wall, White Noise / Black Silence, Format C: For Cortex...

I do not like The Mind's I as much as The Gallery, Projector or Character though ("...Of Melancholy Burning", "The Emptiness From Which I Fed", "Nether Novas" (np ), "Auctioned", "Lost to Apathy", "One Thought"... ), yet it is still an interesting album. As other posters above me have mentioned, this is probably an exception in metal music: they have always been releasing solid albums, with a lot of diversity and a clear evolution, but always staying true to their genre.

By the way, the best song in Melodic Death Metal has the weirdest video as well : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7Xr--0Inc
27.07.2006 - 21:15
Fane
Written by Taktsekte on 26.07.2006 at 14:26

By the way, the best song in Melodic Death Metal has the weirdest video as well : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7Xr--0Inc

Well that is fucking wierd video But music is awesome. Of course it is because it's from Dark Tranquillity
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
28.07.2006 - 00:45
Stigmatized
Written by Fane on 27.07.2006 at 21:15

Written by Taktsekte on 26.07.2006 at 14:26

Well that is fucking wierd video But music is awesome. Of course it is because it's from Dark Tranquillity

Yes, that may be the strangest video I've ever seen.
28.07.2006 - 06:08
Locke
Account deleted
My fav. album would have to be Damage Done. Don't ask me to explain why but listening to that record and rocking out never fails to cheer me up. But my favorite song has to be Lost to Apathy.

Speaking of DT, did anyone else notice that on the Live Damage DVD the audio and video doesn't quite synch up? Or maybe it's just my copy?
05.08.2006 - 12:01
Soleil Noir
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.07.2006 at 06:08

Speaking of DT, did anyone else notice that on the Live Damage DVD the audio and video doesn't quite synch up? Or maybe it's just my copy?

No it's not just yours. It's just not a very good dvd. And why so many bands keep filming their dvds in Krakow I have no idea, because they always seem to have the same ungrateful quiet crowd. It's sad to see an influential and respected band give so much only to get such a cold response.

Anyway, probably my long-term favourite band. The most recent album is indeed very good indeed, but this band has been turning out excellent material for so many years now. The somewhat different one, Projector, I am a big fan off. The Gallery is absolute classic, seminal Melodic Death, nothing more to say. Damage Done might be my favourite however, in so far as "Monochromatic Stains" and "Hours Passed in Exile" are probably my two DT favourite songs. The fairly recent Exposures compilation/concert double disc also held some surprising unreleased gems such as "Static".

I like them because they have been extremely consistent, never sold out to a bouncily anthemic happy-death, and always sought to create music with honest power and integrity. Mikael Stanne is easily one of the best vocalists in metal. They also tend to write excellent lyrics as well. I consider them a really important band as far as creating extreme metal that is serious and strives for something more meaningful than most.
05.08.2006 - 19:56
dark awakening
Dark Tranquillity....the best band ever!
I respect and love this great band, all that they made is great!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
15.08.2006 - 22:10
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Few bands can have the long life span that this band has, maintain the line-up as much as they have and come out with a new album such as great as it is "Character" which can be considered as good as their earlier works.
----
Christless
19.08.2006 - 19:14
The Sky Dancer
Account deleted
I believe, that dark tranquillity is, by far, the most complete band on the planet. Not only they evolve through the years, but they manage to maintain their personality and sound without deteriorating their quality or copying theirselves. My favourite band...
02.09.2006 - 22:24
Bash'
:)
most complete band??
maybe, i only have Character ,,,, and it is always really good
actually am new to know this band..

gonna see something for this band else Character if all ppl saying that this band is all this brillianity...!!!

Character means a best album to me
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
02.09.2006 - 23:58
RavenLord
Written by Bash' on 02.09.2006 at 22:24

most complete band??
maybe, i only have Character ,,,, and it is always really good
actually am new to know this band..

gonna see something for this band else Character if all ppl saying that this band is all this brillianity...!!!

Character means a best album to me

Get The Gallery. If you love Character and like Nightwish (I take it your name is a reference to Ever Dream), you will be blown away by the awesomeness of it. Screw Slaughter of the Soul or The Jester Race, this is the defining Gothenburg album.
----
03.09.2006 - 13:16
Stigmatized
Indeed, The Gallery is superior in a lot of ways.
03.09.2006 - 17:52
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
In the neveending coparison between Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, I certainly go for DT... I just love their very beautiful yet highly melancholic music... The Gallery is my favourite, the Mind's I comes close next... two thumbs up for Dark Tranquillity, I would love to see them live...
04.09.2006 - 14:10
ylside
Staff
I would love to see them live too, Michael Stanne seems to be a good show man. About their releases, am I the only one thinking that Skydancer is their best ?
04.09.2006 - 14:47
Stigmatized
Written by ylside on 04.09.2006 at 14:10

I would love to see them live too, Michael Stanne seems to be a good show man. About their releases, am I the only one thinking that Skydancer is their best ?

I don't know. But I hear a lot of negative feedback for that album. For example, all of my friends hate it, I'm the only one who enjoys it.
04.09.2006 - 14:57
ylside
Staff
I just love it so much... it has soo many different kind of elements in it it's just fantastic. Anders Friden was on vocal duties right ?
I've heard some negative comments on it aswell. What do you think of the demos ? If you heard them.
04.09.2006 - 15:03
Stigmatized
Yes, Anders did vocals for that album. Which is a big reason my friends don't like it.

I don't think I've heard the demo's. Can they be purchased?
04.09.2006 - 15:07
ylside
Staff
Written by Stigmatized on 04.09.2006 at 15:03

Yes, Anders did vocals for that album. Which is a big reason my friends don't like it.

No idea about them being purchased

I seriously think that it's Anders' best performance, along with The Jester Race. Sometimes even better than TJR !
04.09.2006 - 15:12
Stigmatized
Written by ylside on 04.09.2006 at 15:07

I seriously think that it's Anders' best performance, along with The Jester Race. Sometimes even better than TJR !

Hehe. A truly original opinion. I don't think his vocals were bad either, they had a kind of "raw" sound to them.

Damn, I need to get my hands of those demo's somehow.
04.09.2006 - 22:31
RavenLord
Written by Stigmatized on 04.09.2006 at 15:12

The pre-Skydancer demos ('A Moonclad Reflection' and 'A Trail of Life Decayed') can be found on the 'Exposures: In Retrospect and Denial' EP as far as I'm aware. The first disc has all their unreleased songs and demos, except the 'Enter Suicidal Angels' single, which is packaged with 'The Mind's I' rerelease, and 'Of Chaos and Eternal Night', which was released along with Skydancer. There was also a 'Tranquillity' cassettes made, which features both of the demos, but that's long out of print. 'Exposures' is in widespread circulation, and disc 2 features the live audio from the 'Live Damage' DVD.
----
04.09.2006 - 22:32
Amrott
Written by Stigmatized on 04.09.2006 at 15:12

Written by ylside on 04.09.2006 at 15:07

Hehe. A truly original opinion. I don't think his vocals were bad either, they had a kind of "raw" sound to them.

well.. the 1991 "Trail Of Life Decayed" demo is included in the 2004 "Exposures - In Retrospect and Denial". also included is the first EP from 1992 "A Moonclad Reflection" all having Anders on vocals and Stanne on rythem guitars just like 1993 "Skydancer".

as far as i know the CD is available in stores,, so good luck. i really love the track "Static" from the Damage Done session on it ,,, it is soo good \m/
04.09.2006 - 23:51
Stigmatized
@RavenLord and AmRo- Alright, thanks guys! I'll keep my eyes open.
06.09.2006 - 05:29
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Yeah...get that 2 CD set. It's so amazing, it also has an in depth bio of DT, as well as the history of Gothenburg/Gothenburg metal.

It got me even deeper into DT, I love Static, but most of all- Exposure. It's one of the most powerfully emotional songs I've ever heard. I can never get enough.
06.09.2006 - 06:37
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I like this band, I have 3 albums: "Haven", "Skydancer" and "Projector" and some songs of the other ones.
I really like Skydancer's style, with the guitar specially, really few bands plays the guitar so well like DT and some songs from "The Gallery" are awesome too.
Though the music is really good, I don't like some songs at all because of the vocals, I don't know why Stanne's growls aren't so good for me.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
19.09.2006 - 08:13
Veeken
Account deleted
DT is awesome live. I have seen them play twice, once with soilwork, and once with in flames and sentenced which was prob the best show i have ever been to. They really know how to connect with the audience. One of the greatest bands around in my opinion.