Metal Storm logo
Marduk

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 23.08.2006 - 13:07
A thread dedicated to the mighty Marduk, feel free to discuss/share your thoughts on Marduk.
29.10.2008 - 00:00
Khaldi
Panzer division is the masterpiece of black metal for all timeses. but as to texts of songs... mmmm???
for this they deserve to death
but as to topic i don't like rom 5:12 so much . this as that did not intrigue to me
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
29.10.2008 - 00:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Vishapakahr
Thats bizarre, I found Rom5:12 to be far more interesting than Panzer Division. It had a great bottom end, the great rhythms found in songs like 'The Leveling Dust' were more original, the vocals were pretty unique, and not to mention that little duet with Nemtheanaga from Primordial was awesome. Panzer Division was cool but I found it suffered from that cliche black metal sound - non stop blast beats, very little bottom end, raspy vocals...Rom 5:12 is just so much more dynamic its easier to listen to over and over because theres always new stuff to notice about it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 12:32
Khaldi
I think Rom 5:12 death metal alike Deicide and Kataklism.if even it's a black is present in him that it halfs less and is not true black.
maybe they a trifle have getted old
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
29.10.2008 - 17:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@vishapakahr
That made little to no sense whatsoever. Well I don't get why its not "true black"? Never mind, please don't answer that.

"true black" or not its far more dynamic than anything they've written to date. Herzebeth's review for the album does the talking for me though.
----
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 22:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 17:33

@vishapakahr
That made little to no sense whatsoever. Well I don't get why its not "true black"? Never mind, please don't answer that.

"true black" or not its far more dynamic than anything they've written to date. Herzebeth's review for the album does the talking for me though.

I agree their last album is miles aways from the others. I have some kind of Love-Hate relation with Marduk since I really like their albums from Dark Endless to Heaven Shall Burn, but in the middle. Urgh... it's enjoyable at times but mostly boring as hell. ROM was a big surprise for me and I really hope they continue with this style.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.10.2008 - 22:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.10.2008 at 22:47

Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 17:33

@vishapakahr

I agree their last album is miles aways from the others. I have some kind of Love-Hate relation with Marduk since I really like their albums from Dark Endless to Heaven Shall Burn, but in the middle. Urgh... it's enjoyable at times but mostly boring as hell. ROM was a big surprise for me and I really hope they continue with this style.

Yeah, I mean I was slightly weary about buying Rom 5:12 because I was afraid it was just going to be another Panzer Division, which I did enjoy but for me it wouldn't be worth having multiple albums like that. It would be great if Rom is just the start of their new sound, and the next album is even better....
----
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 22:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Let's hope now
Atm I just gonna spare some money to buy Rom 5:12
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.10.2008 - 04:14
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Yep i liked Rom 5:12 quite a bit. I'm not the most dedicated listener nor big fan of bm but there's lots of catchy and morbid passages on their latest and it got to me. The Levelling Dust is probably my favorite off that album, Accuser/Opposer is great also, especially the part where the vocalist from Nevermore comes in.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.10.2008 - 22:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Visioneerie on 30.10.2008 at 04:14

Yep i liked Rom 5:12 quite a bit. I'm not the most dedicated listener nor big fan of bm but there's lots of catchy and morbid passages on their latest and it got to me. The Levelling Dust is probably my favorite off that album, Accuser/Opposer is great also, especially the part where the vocalist from Nevermore comes in.

Its the vocalist from Primordial....
----
- George Carlin
30.10.2008 - 22:41
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Doc G. on 30.10.2008 at 22:34

Written by Visioneerie on 30.10.2008 at 04:14

Its the vocalist from Primordial....

you're right, just checked. I wonder where the hell Nevermore came from.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
23.02.2009 - 01:29
Detric
King Of Twilight
Attention all hardcore Marduk fans. The reason why im writing in this thread is that im looking for a song by Marduk. It is a cover song they made by a christian folk band named Woven Hand which im a huge fan of myself. You can read more here: http://www.overreaction.org/2009/01/marduk-woven-hand.html

If any of you happend to come across it, please send me a personal message or whatever. I would die to hear Marduks version of it. Cheers everybody!
23.02.2009 - 23:29
Galar
Wicked Mung
I can not wait to see them in NY with Mayhem! Been waiting much to long.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
27.02.2009 - 16:40
Ascendant187
I can't profess to being super knowledgable on Marduk (I only know little bits and pieces) but my girlfriend loves em so I checked out Rom 5:12 (as she bought it). Long story short I've really enjoyed listening to it and have to say, if their next album is in the same vein, I'll be very tempted to pick it up.
27.02.2009 - 16:46
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Ascendant187 on 27.02.2009 at 16:40

I can't profess to being super knowledgable on Marduk (I only know little bits and pieces) but my girlfriend loves em so I checked out Rom 5:12 (as she bought it). Long story short I've really enjoyed listening to it and have to say, if their next album is in the same vein, I'll be very tempted to pick it up.

I'd also say that Rom 5:12 is quite a step up from their norsecore period.

If you like that one you should check out Funeral Mist's Salvation if you haven't already. It's written by the current vocalist of Marduk, and slays Rom 5:12 quite hard.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.02.2009 - 16:47
Hellkommando

Said basically what I was going to say, lol. I am waiting to get my hands on Rom 5:12 but from what I've heard on MS it sounds pretty good indeed. I've heard bits and pieces of Panzer and liked the bits I heard so yeah I am keen to get my hands on Rom 5:12. Oh and anyone who has Transformers as their avatar is cool in my book.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
27.02.2009 - 16:56
Ascendant187
Written by Hellkommando on 27.02.2009 at 16:47

Said basically what I was going to say, lol. I am waiting to get my hands on Rom 5:12 but from what I've heard on MS it sounds pretty good indeed. I've heard bits and pieces of Panzer and liked the bits I heard so yeah I am keen to get my hands on Rom 5:12. Oh and anyone who has Transformers as their avatar is cool in my book.

Yeah, can't go past old Metroplex. He was bitchin'.

And I'll have to see about checking out that other Marduk album. In what ways does is slay Rom 5:12 exactly?
27.02.2009 - 17:06
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Ascendant187 on 27.02.2009 at 16:56

And I'll have to see about checking out that other Marduk album. In what ways does is slay Rom 5:12 exactly?

Not a Marduk album at all, but Funeral Mist (the main project of Marduks current vocalist). It's like a way crazier, darker and more chaotic variant of Rom 5:12. Everything that makes Rom 5:12 great, Funeral Mist did in a much greater abundance on Salvation.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.02.2009 - 17:13
Ascendant187
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 27.02.2009 at 17:06

Not a Marduk album at all, but Funeral Mist (the main project of Marduks current vocalist). It's like a way crazier, darker and more chaotic variant of Rom 5:12. Everything that makes Rom 5:12 great, Funeral Mist did in a much greater abundance on Salvation.

Ah, okay. I'll be sure to try and check them out.
28.02.2009 - 03:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

To be honest, Panzer Division and Rom5:12 sound like totally different bands. I found Panzer Division to be pretty typical black metal, not nearly as dynamic as Rom5:12.
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2009 - 05:49
Ascendant187
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2009 at 03:42

To be honest, Panzer Division and Rom5:12 sound like totally different bands. I found Panzer Division to be pretty typical black metal, not nearly as dynamic as Rom5:12.

A lot of bands are capable of changing their music, though. Some far too much for their own good. In the case of Marduk it seems to have definitely made them better.

Although there's a good chance there's a few of those underground types who are sat in a corner rocking back and forth wondering where all the 'tr00ness' went.
28.02.2009 - 05:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ascendant187 on 28.02.2009 at 05:49

Although there's a good chance there's a few of those underground types who are sat in a corner rocking back and forth wondering where all the 'tr00ness' went.

Hm, well, I don't see how this album made them any less tr00. I think they were able to expand their sound while keeping their integrity (in other words, not creating extremely marketable pulp fit for MTV). Its usually the ignorant assholes who don't know what they're talking about that dislike the album for that reason (I'm not saying you can't dislike the album, I'm just saying that to cast it off because it doesn't fit into the typical cookie cutter black metal sound is an absolutely ridiculous reason).
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2009 - 05:59
Ascendant187
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2009 at 05:56

Written by Ascendant187 on 28.02.2009 at 05:49

Hm, well, I don't see how this album made them any less tr00. I think they were able to expand their sound while keeping their integrity (in other words, not creating extremely marketable pulp fit for MTV). Its usually the ignorant assholes who don't know what they're talking about that dislike the album for that reason (I'm not saying you can't dislike the album, I'm just saying that to cast it off because it doesn't fit into the typical cookie cutter black metal sound is an absolutely ridiculous reason).

Exactly. That's what I was making fun of.

I think it's a great step forward for Marduk.
28.02.2009 - 06:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ascendant187 on 28.02.2009 at 05:59

It is a great step forward, although I admit it is in a more accessible direction, which could lead to a potential downfall of the band....hopefully not.
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2009 - 06:14
Ascendant187
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2009 at 06:04

It is a great step forward, although I admit it is in a more accessible direction, which could lead to a potential downfall of the band....hopefully not.

I can't see them adding clean vocals and harmonies in the way of Dimmu Borgir... so I think we're safe on that front.
28.02.2009 - 06:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ascendant187 on 28.02.2009 at 06:14

I can't see them adding clean vocals and harmonies in the way of Dimmu Borgir... so I think we're safe on that front.

Well not necessarily just the clean vocals, but the overall production is really full and thick with a nice heavy bottom end which is something you dont frequently see in black metal. Not to mention the production is relatively clean.
----
- George Carlin
28.02.2009 - 06:20
Ascendant187
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2009 at 06:16

Written by Ascendant187 on 28.02.2009 at 06:14

Well not necessarily just the clean vocals, but the overall production is really full and thick with a nice heavy bottom end which is something you dont frequently see in black metal. Not to mention the production is relatively clean.

I don't see them changing that. They're pretty seasoned now and I'm sure they know they really hit the nail on the head with Rom 5:12.
28.02.2009 - 07:22
sq_xeper
Marduk its one of the few BM bands I really enjoy, I like Legion's era and Panzer Division Marduk its one of my favourite albums, but the new Marduk its great though, Mortuus has a incredible voice (it sound like an old man xD) and Rom 5:12 its an awesome album, the only bad thing its that Legion was a real frontman, his presence on stage gave the band something that the other BM bands didnt have, Mortuus its not as energetic as Legion

BTW, the guys who attend to this year's Party San will presence the entire performance of Panzer Division Marduk, the band its going to play the whole LP to celecrate the 10th anniversary of the album, you guys are so lucky!
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
03.03.2009 - 05:42
I have heard from reliable source that Marduk are intending to play their entire "Panzer Division Marduk" album on their US summer tour supporting Mayhem.
Anyone going to that?
03.03.2009 - 21:25
8 years? They did some tiny pub gigs just over a year ago around the States, didn't they?
02.06.2009 - 21:49
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Their biography is here:

Quote:

Morgan Steinmeyer Hakansson, guitarist and founder-member of Swedish black metal band Marduk, wistfully blew a smoke ring into the air, contemplating the fine curves of his Harley Davidson from the lounge window. With a sigh he stubbed out his cigar and drained two fingers of whisky as he sat heavily into a dark leather armchair, dislodging a signed Pantera CD from the armrest with a clatter. That cunt Satyr had left it at his house after Frost's birthday party (it read: TO MY MATEY SATEY, HEIL HITLER, LOVE PHIL with a badly drawn swastika underneath). He felt down the side of the chair and found a little marzipan demon - all that remained of the cake he'd carefully baked the day before. Of course, Frost had been drunk and had wiped his limp penis all over the icing, the ungrateful dubiously gendered twat. Morgan closed his eyes and sank deep into thought as he usually did at this time of day.

It wasn't fair. He'd done everything he could to make Marduk what it was, admittedly more through sheer bloody-minded persistence than any real discernable talent, and deep down he knew that it had never been enough. Sure, they had a relatively big fanbase and made a more than comfortable living from their music, but most of their fans were total idiots and there was always the nagging doubt that they were far from equal amongst their contemporaries. Ivar from Enslaved had pissed all over Morgan's shoes on tour once and on demanding an apology, Ivar simply farted and walked away without a word.

The likes of Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, or those freewilly fuckers in Enslaved had all quickly started making crappy albums after 1995 or so, but at one point they had all released bonafide, influential classics hailed to this day by sensible metal fans the world over. Where was Marduk's classic album? Morgan sighed again and thought back to the early days of the band, trying to figure out for the millionth time where he'd gone wrong.

With the original (failed) intention to form "the most blasphemous band in the world", Marduk started off playing death metal as most soon-to-be black metal bands did in those times. They relatively quickly signed to a record label and a young Morgan felt his blasphemous (tee hee!) band was really going somewhere. But doubts had already formed in his mind even before the release of 'Dark Endless' in December 1992, as he realised Marduk's form of death metal was outmoded, generic and uninspired. It added nothing to a burgeoning genre that had already seen the release of absolute timeless classics (that damned word again, Morgan thought) like Deicide's first album and then the legendary 'Legion' six months before Marduk's own lame debut. Not to mention Morbid Angel's 'Blessed are the Sick', released a year earlier. Morgan could hear the precise writhing riffage of Trey Azagthoth and Richard Brunelle playing dimly in his head and wished he could completely erase his own sub-standard first effort 'Dark Endless' from the dank corner of his memory where it sat, mocking him with its garishly painted cyclopean eye.

Still, those stupid Americans could keep their death metal, black metal was where it was at in Northern Europe and Marduk could become legendary in that revitalised genre instead! So Morgan quickly began the writing of material for 'Those of the Unlight', a black metal masterpiece that would seal Marduk's place forever in the? oh shit. Already those Norwegian wankers Burzum, Immortal and Darkthrone had released veritable milestones in metal, making 'Those of the Unlight' look almost totally redundant by the time of its release in 1993. Yet again, others were taking giant leaps in innovation and evolution while Marduk slowly plodded along behind like the class retard on a school trip.

ooh this is so heavy!Frustrated and depressed with his lack of acclaim and feeling left out of the media furore surrounding the death of Euronymous and various other events, Morgan strove to create a truly dark and furious recording more in the vein of his Norwegian neighbours. With 'Opus Nocturne' he hoped he could create an album to finally raise Marduk to what he saw as their (his) rightful place in the black metal pantheon. Working as he'd never worked before, Hakansson finally saw the release of his masterpiece in December 1994. It was the absolute best he could do, he'd literally burnt himself out creatively giving birth to the album and? it fell short by quite a way. Although it was easily Marduk's best album so far (and remains so to this day), it was also occasionally verging on being unadventurously simplistic, unambitious and lacking the genius intensity, compositional awareness, epic vision and mystical atmosphere of several key albums from around that time: 'Pure Holocaust', 'Transilvanian Hunger', 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss', 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' and 'In the Nightside Eclipse'. In short, despite their best efforts Marduk had yet again failed to meet the standards set by others and Morgan had nothing left to offer.

At this point, despite having made a half decent album, Hakansson was at his lowest and felt a great ineffectual angsty rage building inside of him. The whole world should be made to suffer for not bowing to the might of Marduk, he seethed. In frustration he began to write even simpler, angrier music for a new album which after a great deal of thought he decided to call 'Fucking Fuck Off You Ungrateful Scum We'll Kill You All'. Arranging the artwork, Morgan requested that it depicted an army of loyal Marduk fans all bearing official Marduk merchandise emblem shields, preparing to attack those failing to appreciate his beloved band. The other members were somewhat sceptical about this and in particular took issue with the title, suggesting instead the only slightly less impotent rage sounding 'Heaven Shall Burn When We Are Gathered'. Morgan sulkily accepted this compromise, retaining the naff artwork, though in later years with a clearer head it was altered to something more kvlt for the reissue, along with that of 'Dark Endless'. He at least had the last laugh over that stupid eye!

And so, after good album sales of 'Heaven Shall Burn?" Hakansson realised the key to the band's future commercial success: lowest common denominator appeal. Fuck trying to create something meaningful, he could attain respect and a real position of authority by appeasing the tastes of people who vaguely liked the idea of black metal but couldn't stomach the intricate complexities of its leading artists. He would write "extreme" and "br00tuhl" music so bland, so dull and generic that even a Cannibal Corpse or Pantera fan could get into it, with a bit of luck. Add a bit of black metal cliché lyrics / imagery and voila, easily accessible pseudo-black metal for the peasants to enjoy and throw money at so they can be part of it.

With each new Marduk album released, their popularity increased exponentially and Morgan laughed to himself as he thought how much easier it was to lower black metal for the consumption of idiots than try to equal the achievements of his contemporaries as he'd attempted back in 1994. After releasing 'Panzer Division Marduk' in 1999, the culmination of his tried and tested "duh duh duh duh at 350BPM" technique, it dawned on him that even the most brainless Marduk fan was slowly realising how limited their music actually was. As he began to believe his own hype and buoyed with a false sense of his own greatness Hakansson made an attempt at a "heavy", slower record to counterbalance what had tediously gone before. It failed utterly. His grunting monkey fanbase wanted something fast and broootuuuhl and no one else even cared anymore. The only thing he could think of doing was to go back to what Marduk did best, yet conceal it behind a gimmick of some kind. All it had to do was serve as a distraction for the majority of moronic modern black metal listeners, which wouldn't prove too difficult. At first he flirted with the idea of a science fiction themed album called 'Star Destroyer Marduk', where the war film samples on "Panzer Division?" would simply be replaced with Star Wars sound effects. But as it turned out, he discovered an even better solution to his problem, and it would also provide Marduk with the scene credibility Morgan had so longed for all these years, no matter how artificial and fleeting it would eventually prove to be.

Of course, he had known Belfagor of Ofermod for years, here was someone who had actually looked up to Hakansson and hung out with the band trying to look cool, an impressionable kid who'd even formed a band, Nefandus, to try and impress him. Later, Morgan had heard the kid's EP, Ofermod's 'Mysterion Tes Anomias' and felt a surge of panic. It was nothing amazing, it was just above average "Swedish black metal" ?, but it showed that there was a potential rival to Marduk's position as kings of not-quite-good-enough. Then, a few years later many younger Swedish bands claimed to have been largely influenced by Ofermod's "religious black metal", much to Morgan's chagrin and hurt feelings.

One of these bands in particular held Hakansson's attention, a kvlt underground entity known as Fragrant Mist. He listened to their debut full-length album 'Salvation' with both awe and intense jealousy. Yet again, it was nothing really worth listening to, its genericism was cleverly hidden amongst production techniques, effects, samples and some absurdly over-the-top vocals, but that was where its genius lay, Morgan thought. This album could indeed be Marduk's salvation. He quickly got hold of Fragrant Mist's mainman Arioch and outlined his plans for a born again Marduk. Arioch would be to Marduk what Dead had been to Mayhem, and as such Arioch even changed his name to Mortuus, or "Dead" in the kvltest language of all: Latin. Lyrical / album concepts mostly changed to overtly religious ones and when combined with production techniques, effects, samples and those over-the-top vocals concealed the fact that underneath it all lay the same old Marduk that everyone knew and loathed. Unlike Dead-era Mayhem, Mortuus-era Marduk simply became Fragrant Mist-lite, yet were a major band with the underground credibility of having a kvlt personality as vocalist. Morgan rubbed his hands with glee as he contemplated the new glorious era for Marduk that awaited him?

Morgan opened his eyes with a start as Mortuus nudged him gently.
"Thou must awaken," said Mortuus, "verily I say unto thee, we hath many dreary and generic riffs of various genre origins to compose and fit into thy patented template for thy new opus, before entering ye studio and speed tremolo picking an angry faux-black metal song out of it. I thinketh the new album should be christened 'Korinthianzzz PraYer Ritual Angel ov Poo'. I heareth that the cooleth thing in the scene now is scatoliturgical misspelt album titles. Amen".
"Fucking hell I hate you," said Morgan wearily.

Epilogue:

Satyr and Frost announced their engagement in 2007, marrying a year later in the ancient spectre ruins inspired by overflowing medieval belief and vikings and shit. A majestetic hail in honour of Peter Tatchell and their spiritual brothers in Stonewall. Hail Satan!

Mortuus / Arioch released a nu-black metal album with his religious circus troupe Fragrant Mist called 'Maranatha' in 2009. It is already considered black metal's answer to Sepultura's 'Roots' by many metal fans.

Morgan Hakansson continues to release Marduk albums tailored to the current middle-of-the-road "extreme metal" prevailing trends at a rate of one per financial year, to general apathy. Merchandise sales are doing well, with plans to release official Marduk plastic swords and shields bearing their logo in 2010.

read dis!