09. Renewal
10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

I don't know about you, but I got fooled by Shagrath and his cronies. When I listened to “Gateways,” the first single from Abrahadabra, I was appalled. It seemed strange, to say the least. You may easily guess that I wasn't exactly dying to hear Abrahadabra. I expected more songs like “Gateways,” but I didn't get any more. What I got was a solid piece of extreme music with an abundance of good arrangements and embellishments which make for a satisfying listen. Even “Gateways” grew on me, because it indeed is a good song.

From epic and lightning fast “Born Treacherous,” through incredibly catchy “Gateways,” till grandiose “Endings and Continuations,” this time Dimmu Borgir delivers. Their style hasn't changed that much, but their old ideas mixed with a few new things make for a very convincing whole. If you want good old blasting, go for the aforementioned “Born Treacherous” or “Ritualist.” If you are fond of orchestrations and epic scope of songs, listen to “Endings and Continuations” or “Chess With the Abyss.” If you're keen on slower tempos and some decent guitar solos, “Dimmu Borgir” and “Renewal” are for you. Yes, guitar solos, played with talent and knowledge, flawlessly blending into the songs. Variety is the spice of life they say. Variety is what you will find here. An occasional intro, bass interlude, female vocals, they're all cherries on top of this unexpectedly tasty cake.

I've always thought that the marriage of extreme metal with mainstream must end in tears. Thornography or Cold Lake prove me right, but Abrahadabra proves me wrong. While undoubtedly accessible and easy to digest, it simultaneously retains a necessary dose of aggression, speed and heaviness. In their own words:

Be the broken or the breaker
Be the giver or the undertaker
Unlock and open the door
Be the healer or the breaker
The keys are in your hands
Realize you are the source of all created
Of your own master plan

Dimmu Borgir might have gone astray on some of their recent albums, but now I'm sure they found their own master plan. The door is wide open, and the sky is the limit.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 23.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 127   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1110 users
23.09.2010 - 22:33
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Good review thankz a lot, I havent listen to the album yet but I loved Gateways song so I think it will satisfy me maybe.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
23.09.2010 - 22:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I... might listen to this one day. The last album of theirs I heard was Deathcult and it didn't really float my boat. It's good to hear they're back on form though.
23.09.2010 - 22:45
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Abrahadabra sounds like a mix of Stormblast and Death Cult Armageddon with a very modern sound. I haven't spent that much time with it yet but I was really surprised they actually manage to pull themselves out of the mudpit this time. And I had (and still have) the same feelings about Gateways you had. It's definitely the worst song to pick as an introduction to the album.
----
23.09.2010 - 22:47
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Daniell on 23.09.2010 at 22:35

Just remember that there is no other song there that would be similar to Gateways

Yes I understood it when I was reading your review.
----
23.09.2010 - 22:53
Rating: 8
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I suppose i agree with the review, i enjoyed the album pretty much, borgir caught me off guard this time, despite laughing at the octopus horns and such shit. i wasn't expecting that much, but they appeared pretty strong and guitar driven
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
23.09.2010 - 22:53
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Maybe Im not a big fan of Dimmo Borgir but I like them because they are a mirror for religion extremists I really enjoy when they suffer when they see such things lol
----
23.09.2010 - 23:10
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Very good review
This album is very good mix between PEM & DCA. Song number 8: this is beast

Honestly I don't understant all those stupid people, who hate this band only because they are famous
23.09.2010 - 23:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
It's a very good lbum if you DON'T expect any black metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2010 - 23:23
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Fair review, must say.
23.09.2010 - 23:29
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2010 at 23:19

It's a very good album if you DON'T expect any black metal

And I cant really understand why we take genres so seriously? it is or not, when you sa 'ts a very good album (if its not a sarcasm) I cant understand why you are talking about genres.
----
23.09.2010 - 23:35
moe5512
Good review, I'm one of those who actually likes new dimmu, and gateways gets better everytime I hear it. hope the rets of the album will be good too.

And to all the haters: No it is'nt black metal it is melodic/symphonic black metal. and if you dont like dimmu why do you follow their updates -.-

Edit: after reading elyars comment, i agree, dimmu have their own style
23.09.2010 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
If one listens to this expecting it to be black metal it is a very bad black metal album. Simple. Just like when going into it thinking it will be a death metal or thrash metal album thwn it is a bad death and thrash metal album.
Why I said that about black metal is because Dimmu Borgir gets mislabelled as black metal very often because of their past.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2010 - 23:37
Killhate
Album is amazing , its like mixture of everything and that makes it great.. cant wait for concert
23.09.2010 - 23:39
moe5512
If immortal got famous everybody would hate them... it wouldnt be black metal because it'd be too mainstream
23.09.2010 - 23:54
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by moe5512 on 23.09.2010 at 23:39

If immortal got famous everybody would hate them... it wouldnt be black metal because it'd be too mainstream

lol, here in MS some ppl just love really really underground bands which release 100 copies of their works. So Immortal is a Black Metal but they are not very grate nowadays in their opinion. Why I said "not very grate"? because Immortal hasnt released enough albums to make them hate them totally

I think you somehow understood what I mean
----
24.09.2010 - 00:12
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Perfect Strangers number 12 song, haha what a song to cover hahaha I love that song
----
24.09.2010 - 00:23
moe5512
Written by Elyar S. on 23.09.2010 at 23:54

Written by moe5512 on 23.09.2010 at 23:39

lol, here in MS some ppl just love really really underground bands which release 100 copies of their works. So Immortal is a Black Metal but they are not very grate nowadays in their opinion. Why I said "not very grate"? because Immortal hasnt released enough albums to make them hate them totally

I think you somehow understood what I mean

haha i think i understood
24.09.2010 - 00:25
Rating: 9
warrior_of_ice
Can someone tell me what the first leaked Abrahadabra album was? i downloaded two different versions...

good review btw
24.09.2010 - 00:30
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by warrior_of_ice on 24.09.2010 at 00:25

Can someone tell me what the first leaked Abrahadabra album was? i downloaded two different versions...

good review btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahadabra_(album) , it seem that there are some versions and Im searching for DMDR (Dead Men Don't Rape), Dimmu Borgir (orchestral version) and The Demiurge Molecule (orchestral version).

If you have any of them tell me where can I find them in a private massage.
----
24.09.2010 - 00:38
farfaramir
Uuuum, the full album is at myspace.

Well, it's a lot better than the last one, but still it didn't convince me. The chorus (Abrahadabra!, Abrahadabra!) are sometimes annoying, and the guest voices don't get even close to the quality of Vortex...
24.09.2010 - 01:07
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
Why do you say they are sellouts? i dont get it
24.09.2010 - 01:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2010 at 23:36

If one listens to this expecting it to be black metal it is a very bad black metal album. Simple. Just like when going into it thinking it will be a death metal or thrash metal album thwn it is a bad death and thrash metal album.
Why I said that about black metal is because Dimmu Borgir gets mislabelled as black metal very often because of their past.

But this will undoubtedly be nominated in the black metal category in the MS awards
24.09.2010 - 01:20
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 24.09.2010 at 01:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2010 at 23:36

But this will undoubtedly be nominated in the black metal category in the MS awards

If it ever gets nominated at all, it may be in the Symphonic category instead of BM I guess.
24.09.2010 - 01:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh, good point.

Anyways, the positive responses are giving me some hope.
24.09.2010 - 03:25
Rating: 9
metal2000
Actually I'm not a big fan of Dimmu Borgir but after I heard the album, they did allot of changeling in my opinion and they get more better in their style, cool album
24.09.2010 - 03:33
Hypnos
An artist should express himself through music....so don't blame anyone for not expressing himself the way YOU want to....
Metal is supposed to be for open minded skulls so get rid off the brain damage called Metal Defender and enjoy this great piece of music
24.09.2010 - 05:53
Derwood
Wow, I'm actually thoroughly enjoying this album. I gave it a passing listen last night and am giving it a much fuller listen at the moment. "Gateways" had me wondering what was coming (not in a good way) and this is very unexpected.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
24.09.2010 - 06:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Elyar S. on 23.09.2010 at 23:29
And I cant really understand why we take genres so seriously? it is or not, when you sa 'ts a very good album (if its not a sarcasm) I cant understand why you are talking about genres.

I dont care about genres at all really, I just either like it, or I dont, simple as that. I can see what Marcel is saying though. I think any band who changes their original style, you have to both not be expecting their original style, and not have an aversion to the new style in order to enjoy it. lol
24.09.2010 - 06:05
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Just listened to it, didn't dig it that much. Oh well.
24.09.2010 - 06:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I will give the album a go. I hated the female vocals in "Gateways", but otherwise, I rather enjoyed the music. hehe xD

Hits total: 34986 | This month: 46