Metal Storm logo
German Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Bigpaul, 27.03.2011 - 23:23
Over the past 12 months I have been listening to quite a few German Black bands, many of whom I hadn't heard of before and I must say that I have been quite impressed both with the quality and diversity of sound in the German Black scene. Bands such as Coldworld, Agrypnie, The Ruins Of Beverast, Lantlôs, Todtgelichter, Imperium Dekadenz all have quality releases to their name.
I personally think that if you like Black metal, then you should be able to find a band that appeals to you. Whether you prefer the melodic leanings of Dark Fortress or the avantgarde(and brilliant) Todtgelichter or if you prefer your Black to be a bit proggy then Nocte Obducta may be worth a listen.

In this topic you can discuss the known, big bands or bring new, interesting acts to light
19.04.2011 - 18:13
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
When was Nargaroth here in Innsbruck?
19.04.2011 - 19:03
The Turbanator
Just listening to Infestus and I'm fucking impressed by them. E x I s t = amazing album!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
20.04.2011 - 12:19
Narterath
I guess you guys would dig Ascension. They've released their full-length in 2010, named Consolamentum and in my opinion, it was a masterpiece. Quite a Swedish Black Metal vein to it I would say. Here is a sample, Grey Light Sibling:
21.04.2011 - 09:08
*MetalSlave*
Necros Christos is an awesome black/death metal band from Germany. Doom of the Occult is an impressive album.
21.04.2011 - 15:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by *MetalSlave* on 21.04.2011 at 09:08

Necros Christos is an awesome black/death metal band from Germany. Doom of the Occult is an impressive album.

Listening to that right now thanks to Marcel's suggestion.
21.04.2011 - 16:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I wouldn't call Necros Christos black death though. more death metal with some doom thrown in. but great band indeed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2011 - 16:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.04.2011 at 16:01

I wouldn't call Necros Christos black death though. more death metal with some doom thrown in. but great band indeed.

I was thinking that, I don't really see the black metal in their music. Not with the new album anyway.
27.04.2011 - 07:59
Khaldi
I know only couple of German black metal bands and my favorite is Riger especially Hamingja album !
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
27.04.2011 - 14:24
Vombatus
Potorro
Can't remember if someone mentioned them, but I recently got to listen with a bit more attention Dark Tribe.
"In Jeraspunta" is great example of awkward/crazy as shit BM (kind of stuff I appreciate much )
27.04.2011 - 14:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 27.04.2011 at 14:24

Can't remember if someone mentioned them, but I recently got to listen with a bit more attention Dark Tribe.
"In Jeraspunta" is great example of awkward/crazy as shit BM (kind of stuff I appreciate much )

I talk about them a fair amount and yes, igoring their last album which lost an awful amount of the chaos they do so well, they're a truly mental and psychotic band.
30.04.2011 - 17:34
U47
Written by Diabolos on 19.04.2011 at 18:13

Think that was back in 2004 or so. Small festival, Misanthropic Violence I think, have to search for the flyer, still has to be here in this room, lol.
30.04.2011 - 22:09
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by U47 on 30.04.2011 at 17:34

Think that was back in 2004 or so. Small festival, Misanthropic Violence I think, have to search for the flyer, still has to be here in this room, lol.

Ah ok, that could be, I didn't listen to Black Metal back in that time
05.05.2011 - 16:59
U47
Written by Diabolos on 30.04.2011 at 22:09

Written by U47 on 30.04.2011 at 17:34

Ah ok, that could be, I didn't listen to Black Metal back in that time

That was the time I have been into black metal the most. Very nice gig, good song selection, although his drummer wasn't the best choice I think.... Good memories, I still get chills down my spine just thinking of it...
05.05.2011 - 20:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I'm surprised Nocte Obducta haven't been mentioned more often. They and their offshoot Agrypnie are among my favorites from the local scene. I'm not really that much into the elitist parts of the German scene (Moonblood, Eminenz, Dunkelgrafen, Nargaroth, Dies Ater), but I love bands like the aforementioned Nocte Obducta, Agrypnie, Nagelfar (The Ruins of Beverast not so much), Imperium Dekadenz, Todtgelichter, Aaskereia, old Helrunar, Lunar Aurora, Eïs, Farsot, Der Weg Einer Freiheit, Trist, Grabnebelfürsten, Orlog, Helritt, Negator and Truppensturm (also featuring Alexander von Meilenwald). And of the "trve" bands I enjoy Katharsis a lot.

----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.05.2011 - 11:33
Bigpaul
Written by Promonex on 05.05.2011 at 20:44

I'm surprised Nocte Obducta haven't been mentioned more often. They and their offshoot Agrypnie are among my favorites from the local scene. I'm not really that much into the elitist parts of the German scene (Moonblood, Eminenz, Dunkelgrafen, Nargaroth, Dies Ater), but I love bands like the aforementioned Nocte Obducta, Agrypnie, Nagelfar (The Ruins of Beverast not so much), Imperium Dekadenz, Todtgelichter, Aaskereia, old Helrunar, Lunar Aurora, Eïs, Farsot, Der Weg Einer Freiheit, Trist, Grabnebelfürsten, Orlog, Helritt, Negator and Truppensturm (also featuring Alexander von Meilenwald). And of the "trve" bands I enjoy Katharsis a lot.

Nocte Obducta are excellent, I did mention them in the topic opener!:)
12.05.2011 - 20:06
rekkuza-
Lunar Aurora were an acquired taste for me... I found them harder to get into than other atmospheric black metal bands. Now I think they are the shit... Strange.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
12.05.2011 - 20:16
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by rekkuza- on 12.05.2011 at 20:06

Lunar Aurora were an acquired taste for me... I found them harder to get into than other atmospheric black metal bands. Now I think they are the shit... Strange.

I just looked at your favourite bands, and I have to say, you have a pretty good taste!
12.05.2011 - 21:47
RavenKing
Cryptic Wintermoon
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.05.2011 - 13:33
The Turbanator
Written by rekkuza- on 12.05.2011 at 20:06

They're not bad actually, but not really that good either like what some claimed. There are tonnes of better bands in Germany than them.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
24.05.2011 - 14:14
A.J Thunder
Nobody mentioned Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. I dont listen much to black metal anymore and cant really recal if they were anything special but i bought 3 of their albums years ago so guess they didnt suck at least.

They got a female singer too : )
24.05.2011 - 19:28
Vombatus
Potorro
I did mention them on the first page... Actually I only have one of their "Nocturnal March" in posession. Still a good one, it's just some good ol' BM with the high pitch rasps of female vocals, very enjoyable.
25.05.2011 - 15:33
A.J Thunder
Written by Vombatus on 24.05.2011 at 19:28

I did mention them on the first page... Actually I only have one of their "Nocturnal March" in posession. Still a good one, it's just some good ol' BM with the high pitch rasps of female vocals, very enjoyable.

oh, missed that one. I really tried to read all the post's this time and still ended up in failure.
30.05.2011 - 16:57
(((O)))

Ekpyrosis, great post/avantgarde black metal with a unique atmosphere and almost spoken vocals.
01.06.2011 - 15:55
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by A.J Thunder on 24.05.2011 at 14:14

Nobody mentioned Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. I dont listen much to black metal anymore and cant really recal if they were anything special but i bought 3 of their albums years ago so guess they didnt suck at least.

They got a female singer too : )

I also mentioned them on the first page
24.09.2011 - 21:27
InnerSelf
proofread free
New compilation album from The Ruins of Beverast entitled Enchanted By Gravemould

and it seems that a new album is on the making which is great to say the least
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
11.10.2011 - 01:10
Gothroman
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 01:09

Bavarian Raw Black Metal!
11.10.2011 - 16:02
Diabolo
Ma fav german band lately:

12.10.2011 - 16:52
TheBigRossowski
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned Ascension. That's definitely going to be one of the growing acts in the next few years. They're even playing at Deathkult Open Air. Yes!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.10.2011 - 16:27
The Turbanator
Written by Diabolo on 11.10.2011 at 16:02

Ma fav german band lately:

Thank you for this one. Very nice!
----
18.10.2011 - 18:34
Diabolo
No problem mate! Although I learned that Fyrnask is considered to be half German half Norwegian band. Anyone have a clue why?