Metal Storm logo
Moonsorrow

Original post

Posted by Talvi, 17.05.2006 - 23:49
Well, I just had to do this. My favorite band HAS to have their own topic. Because, well, Moonsorrow is THE BAND. Iron Maiden are the godfathers. Dream Theater are the perfect musicians. But the spirit, the magic, the VIKINGS... Moonsorrow are my, for me, the GODS (sorry if some peoplie didn't like this 'adjective')

It's just that the melodies they have chill my full body... I love every one of their albums, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is my favorite album, ever. Unohduksen Lapsi, my favorite song of theirs.

Their style is just unique. All their songs (or most of them) are epics, from 6 to 13 minutes (14-19 for Verikansaa), which very repetitive riffs and very keyboard driven melodies. No other band has played or plays like them, which makes them a very original and unique band. It's useless loving a band when 50 other bands play the same, and maybe better. Not with them.

And well, just comment what you think of this band, which will release a new album later this year. I hope it will be the best album of 2006 (with competition like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden).

Hail the vikings!
01.06.2009 - 13:26
Janne
Hugin
Written by Uller on 01.06.2009 at 11:02

This band is by far my favorite band. My favorite album is Verisäkeet, its a masterpiece

Which Moonsorrow album is not a masterpiece??
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.07.2009 - 09:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have discovered their second demo Tämä Ikuinen Talvi...the song Luopion Veri is so glorious...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.08.2009 - 10:48
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Janne on 01.06.2009 at 13:26

This band is by far my favorite band. My favorite album is Verisäkeet, its a masterpiece

Their discography seems too perfect. I'm waiting for an old glam metal Moonsorrow recording or a nu-metal version of Suden Uni with Slipknot or something to prove my theory that no band is as perfect and rounded as Moonsorrow is at their age. I am suspicious of their greatness.
18.08.2009 - 12:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It will be enough if Moonsorrow will just continue in their style
----

18.08.2009 - 15:45
Janne
Hugin
Written by wormdrink414 on 18.08.2009 at 10:48

Their discography seems too perfect. I'm waiting for an old glam metal Moonsorrow recording or a nu-metal version of Suden Uni with Slipknot or something to prove my theory that no band is as perfect and rounded as Moonsorrow is at their age. I am suspicious of their greatness.

haha anyway I hope they won't release any of those albums
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.08.2009 - 04:22
I don't think Moonsorrow have the capability of publishing a horrible record.

Great band. Saw them live and fell in love with them. Their songs are full of emotion and atmosphere. It's just epic shit the whole way through.

You know a band is good when you can just get lost in the music. I always just space out and think about their masterpeices when I listen to Moonsorrow.

Fucking epic shit
----
21.08.2009 - 04:44
MetalSpider
The day they release a new album....Im shutting myself off from the rest of the world haha.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.08.2009 - 07:00
^ haha same probably!;D
----
21.08.2009 - 10:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will do the same, if i wont be still shut off due to new Summoning album
----

28.08.2009 - 13:46
Kvae

oh yeah! you said it man
29.08.2009 - 21:13
IllOmenNation
One of the best indeed.. Kivenkantaja is a great album.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
31.12.2009 - 16:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Daaaaaaammmmnnn

praise the metal gods

----

29.01.2010 - 22:46
caimanjosh
Yes, Moonsorrow is absolutely awesome. The first couple of times I heard Voimasta ja Kunniasta, I felt like it was the music I'd been waiting my whole life for, without ever knowing it. Now I like Verisakeet more (will it get me into black metal eventually? time will tell..), but in any case, they are truly an experience not to be missed for the metal fan.
10.05.2010 - 00:53
Uller
New album please!

Does anyone knows something about moonsorrow, are thew working on a new album or something?
----
10.05.2010 - 02:01
MetalSpider
I think they just finished touring North America (which I missed! :@)
----

10.05.2010 - 09:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Also they will at least play at Brutal Assault in august...so i doubt they would make a new album meanwhile...
----

11.05.2010 - 00:25
caimanjosh
They're writing material for the new album now, I believe. Plans are to release the new album early next year. Check the forum on their official site for details. Word is that the songs will be "shorter" (that is, maybe just 8 - 12 minutes instead of half-hour monsters like Haveitty!). I'm excited....
11.05.2010 - 00:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Good move...because for live performance...playing 30 minutes lasting song is hard (if not impossible) both for band to play and the crowd to pay attention to it...their best songs are the earlier "shorter" ones anyway
----

27.05.2010 - 13:36
Veertje
Written by Ellrohir on 11.05.2010 at 00:30

Good move...because for live performance...playing 30 minutes lasting song is hard (if not impossible) both for band to play and the crowd to pay attention to it...their best songs are the earlier "shorter" ones anyway

True. The 15+ minutes songs are awesome to listen at home, but at a gig, I wonder how long they would last if they had to play them.
I saw them live at Wâldrock once, but (shame on me), I wasn't really in to them yet at the time so I didn't know what they were playing. Such a shame, I heard the setlist was quite awesome. Still, it was the best act that day for me

Personally, I usually like the shorter (which is relative with them, obviously ) songs like Pakanajuhla and Ukkosenjumalan Poika more than songs such as Tulimyrsky.
13.09.2010 - 00:22
The Turbanator

Their recording method for new album. :-D
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
30.09.2010 - 11:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Is this for real?
----

01.10.2010 - 12:14
Iron man512
Believe. Plans are to release the new album early next year. Check the forum on their official site for details. Word is that the songs will be "shorter" ..

i m thrilled...

nse tips
nse market
01.10.2010 - 19:58
felinenine
Account deleted
Shorter songs? So they might only be 15 minutes long then I can't wait! New album usually means a new tour as well...
05.10.2010 - 14:21
Janne
Hugin
I've just realized that I love V: Havitetty very very much!! It took me some time to get into it btw D
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.10.2010 - 17:45
MeloDeathViking
Written by Janne on 05.10.2010 at 14:21

I've just realized that I love V: Havitetty very very much!! It took me some time to get into it btw D

That was the first Moonsorrow album I ever got, and it took me a while to get into as well. I actually only really got into it after listening to some of the older albums.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
06.10.2010 - 05:00
MetalSpider
I can't wait to hear a preview of their new album. This is one release I'm looking forward to just about more than anything else!
----

18.10.2010 - 21:37
rational.gaze
I'm behind the times on Moonsorrow, but from what has been recommended by other users/friends, they kick fucking ass. Every sample song I've heard has been stellar. Come payday, my collection will be expanded by several of their albums.
----
.never.let.them.see.you.coming
04.11.2010 - 20:44
Feng
Http://moonsorrow2010.blogspot.com/

Ville talks about recording song #7, so yes, shorter songs presumably. That or we're getting 7 30 minute epics. Seriously can't wait! Almost my most anticipated release of 2011.
07.08.2011 - 21:02
The Turbanator
Fuck me.. that "Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa" album is super good.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
07.08.2011 - 21:14
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Moosnorrow are so koel On Paganfest in Ljubljana I spent the entire evening talking to Marku?, but I was so drunk, I don't really remember what we were talking about Nice guys tho, all of the band
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.