Metal Storm logo
Moonsorrow

Original post

Posted by Talvi, 17.05.2006 - 23:49
Well, I just had to do this. My favorite band HAS to have their own topic. Because, well, Moonsorrow is THE BAND. Iron Maiden are the godfathers. Dream Theater are the perfect musicians. But the spirit, the magic, the VIKINGS... Moonsorrow are my, for me, the GODS (sorry if some peoplie didn't like this 'adjective')

It's just that the melodies they have chill my full body... I love every one of their albums, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is my favorite album, ever. Unohduksen Lapsi, my favorite song of theirs.

Their style is just unique. All their songs (or most of them) are epics, from 6 to 13 minutes (14-19 for Verikansaa), which very repetitive riffs and very keyboard driven melodies. No other band has played or plays like them, which makes them a very original and unique band. It's useless loving a band when 50 other bands play the same, and maybe better. Not with them.

And well, just comment what you think of this band, which will release a new album later this year. I hope it will be the best album of 2006 (with competition like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden).

Hail the vikings!
16.06.2007 - 21:12
Goat
Account deleted
Their newest album KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so badass how it starts out....so peaceful and subtle...with the sounds of viking ships on still water....then gradually builds up to the most amazing viking metal ever. This music is the BEST music to fall asleep to. Hands down. Guaranteed good dreams
07.07.2007 - 23:39
Ryliuk
Account deleted
Great band! love their material a lot!, I found the Varjojen Virta video, downloaded it cause i wanted to see them performing live, but when I saw it, I realized that it was actually an animation, and one hell of animation, damn! this guys have a great concept of nature and life, the animation is perfect and the images are very good placed acording to the music, amazing scenarios, definetly one of the best videos I have seen in a while, +30 minutes of eye catching images of coldness, nature and universe greatness with mind blowing musical ambience of dakness and the magical touch of Moonsorrow!!!!
I love Finnish metal scene!!!!
23.07.2007 - 13:17
Bsquared
Written by Guest on 07.07.2007 at 23:39

Great band! love their material a lot!, I found the Varjojen Virta video, downloaded it cause i wanted to see them performing live, but when I saw it, I realized that it was actually an animation, and one hell of animation, damn! this guys have a great concept of nature and life, the animation is perfect and the images are very good placed acording to the music, amazing scenarios, definetly one of the best videos I have seen in a while, +30 minutes of eye catching images of coldness, nature and universe greatness with mind blowing musical ambience of dakness and the magical touch of Moonsorrow!!!!
I love Finnish metal scene!!!!

Where did you find this video? :O I would love to see it...
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
27.07.2007 - 17:03
itachi_kun
Account deleted
i'll need to check them out. i'm always looking for new bands to listen to.:cool:
27.07.2007 - 18:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 27.07.2007 at 17:03

i'll need to check them out. i'm always looking for new bands to listen to.:cool:

Do it fast, awesome band, and every album is quite good so you can't miss
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.10.2007 - 13:25
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i think moonsorrow is on the top 10 bands from finland they are awesome they make kind of ambient at times, and they are very melodic as well i love the voice, by the way i dont understand the words but i really enjoy this band
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.10.2007 - 10:39
1793 elegy
hahah, yes, I am a new Monsorrow fan thanks to you Largos, youre good taste is contagous. I really like folk and Viking metal, its the best, it alone, adds a unique sound, and plus, i really like how deep Moonsorrow's sound is...their instroments are tuned very low.
17.10.2007 - 20:16
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Their musics are long as hell, but the final result is great! Definitely one of my favorite folk/viking metal bands!
19.10.2007 - 13:03
Fuath
i admit they are good, in fact i like them very much, they have a nice touch to there music that is appealing to most people, but i do prefer finntroll
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

20.10.2007 - 03:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Unconsecrated on 17.10.2007 at 20:16

Their musics are long as hell,

Thats the only problem I have with Moonsorrow, sometimes I find there songs to be a little drawn out too far at points, but there still awesome.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.11.2007 - 00:24
Talvi
Written by 1793 elegy on 17.10.2007 at 10:39

hahah, yes, I am a new Monsorrow fan thanks to you Largos, youre good taste is contagous. I really like folk and Viking metal, its the best, it alone, adds a unique sound, and plus, i really like how deep Moonsorrow's sound is...their instroments are tuned very low.

How did I help? (btw, long time I don't post here, it was a miracle I found this message xD)
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.11.2007 - 18:28
1793 elegy
Written by Talvi on 13.11.2007 at 00:24

Written by 1793 elegy on 17.10.2007 at 10:39

How did I help? (btw, long time I don't post here, it was a miracle I found this message xD)

hah, you passed on the recommendation, and i complied to check them out
26.11.2007 - 23:03
Moeror
Moonsorrow are one of my favourite bands! their whole atmosphere is just awesome!
----
On the plain lies an angel, dead
27.12.2007 - 06:51
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
what is a good album to start on with moonsorrow?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.12.2007 - 12:47
albatros
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 27.12.2007 at 06:51

what is a good album to start on with moonsorrow?

I think "Voimasta ja Kuniasta" is their masterpiece. It is beautiful from start to end. It is best listened out in the open. If this album is too hard to get, then I'd say their latest "V: Hävitetti" is also a very good investment and probably easier to get hold of.
02.01.2008 - 18:26
wintermaze
Account deleted
I just ordererd their albums Suden Uni, Voimasta ja Kuniasta and Kivenkantaja. I already have Verisäkeet and V:Hävitetty and they are really great! Very beautiful sound, majestic and epic songs, amazing band!
24.02.2008 - 10:17
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
on verisakeet do the beginnings of like the last 3 songs all have that funny, strange *boing boing* noise?? or is it just my copy?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
26.03.2008 - 14:42
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
"Tulimyrsky" EP cover was revealed and looks like as below:

26.03.2008 - 15:01
Judas
The Amputator
Damn, that's an awesome cover (as usual)! The EP has a really long playtime too, so looks like I'll be buying this bad boy.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
03.04.2008 - 22:38
Colony
Account deleted
The new EP is going to kick major ass.......it's going to be like a full album

Plus they're doing a cover of the song "For Whom The Bell Tolls" which just sounds like EPIC WIN right there
15.04.2008 - 03:06
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Their earlier albums to me are far better!! They're more 'Folk Metal', whereas the new releases combine more progressive and less folk (therefore making it less fun), plus the songs are too long. I don't even listen to the new material.

older Moonsorrow!
16.04.2008 - 14:20
Colony
Account deleted
I listened to the album and I've just been in awe of the title track "Tulimyrsky". It's just too EPIC for words.
19.04.2008 - 18:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I still remember how impressed I was when I first bought Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, it was a crushing fucking album... I also had liked their later stuff, especially because of the time of my life that makes me remember Havitetty, which I bought in a great trip to Finland and Russia, but lately I hadn't listened a lot to them... After all, this isn't a band that grows old easily.
19.04.2008 - 19:20
Berfones
Hails Vicking Des Nord!!!
Moonsorrow kicks ass!!! every album they release is heavier and blacker than the previous, they just keep on getting better and still keeping ture to their main ideas and themes, this is one band that deserves the title "gods of metal"
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
20.04.2008 - 19:25
MetalSpider
The New EP is awesome. I wasnt sure how well their cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls would turn out. It turned out amazing thats for sure. The 2 re-recorded tracks are excellent, as well as Back to North. Of course, the title track is just pure amazing and very epic.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.04.2008 - 22:22
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.04.2008 at 05:58

Written by Guest on 19.04.2008 at 18:38

I still remember how impressed I was when I first bought Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, it was a crushing fucking album...

So do I man I have always loved this album since I first heard when it first came out way back in 2001, and there is just something about it that is perfection, there is absolutely nothing out of place and the sound of it is just fukking huge indeed and they never managed that raging hard atmosphere again in the same way, on Kivenkantaja it was sort of similar but not as intense or uplifting.

I also bought it back in 2001... I remmeber I was going to buy any other album and the store owner convinced me to buy that one instead...
30.04.2008 - 12:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
today Tulimirsky EP is out...and with its 68 mins it is quite long EP
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.04.2008 - 15:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
so i have listened to Tulimyrsky...very nice stuff indeed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.05.2008 - 16:04
VPeter
bought it yesterday and I really like it, I first tought it would be there best even because the title track is so awesome, but unfortunally the rest couldn't meet up the top-notch Tulimyrsky - still a very good EP tought.
26.05.2008 - 08:24
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
one of the most original bands out there no viking or folk metal band plays like them
----
Stay Metal !!!