Metal Storm logo
Moonsorrow

Original post

Posted by Talvi, 17.05.2006 - 23:49
Well, I just had to do this. My favorite band HAS to have their own topic. Because, well, Moonsorrow is THE BAND. Iron Maiden are the godfathers. Dream Theater are the perfect musicians. But the spirit, the magic, the VIKINGS... Moonsorrow are my, for me, the GODS (sorry if some peoplie didn't like this 'adjective')

It's just that the melodies they have chill my full body... I love every one of their albums, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is my favorite album, ever. Unohduksen Lapsi, my favorite song of theirs.

Their style is just unique. All their songs (or most of them) are epics, from 6 to 13 minutes (14-19 for Verikansaa), which very repetitive riffs and very keyboard driven melodies. No other band has played or plays like them, which makes them a very original and unique band. It's useless loving a band when 50 other bands play the same, and maybe better. Not with them.

And well, just comment what you think of this band, which will release a new album later this year. I hope it will be the best album of 2006 (with competition like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden).

Hail the vikings!
29.08.2006 - 14:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stigmatized on 19.06.2006 at 22:30

I like them. My favorite album is Verisäkeet. The songs tend to be a little long for my taste, but I listen to them every now and then.

Thay songs isn to long 6-10 minutes and then what youyo think about Amon Amarth songs thay are to, and Doom metal can be longer and thay compose them so long how thay feel and think its nececeryly and ''Suden Uni'' are 1 minute, yes I listening taht album just now
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.11.2006 - 04:09
Talvi
Hey, what you think of the next album? Crazier than Verisakeet: Now there are just 2 songs of 30 and 26 minutes. Will they succed, or they will be worse (like Verisakeet, in my opinion.)

I had very big expectations, if they returned to the Voimasta/Kivenkantaja sound. But so long songs... I'm afraid, even I love long songs.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
07.11.2006 - 15:03
Detric
King Of Twilight
27.11.2006 - 02:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
My favorite album would have to be Kivenkantaja, the title track is what made me wanna start drumming. And 'Jumalten Kaupunki' has to be one of the most epic songs ive ever heard.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2006 - 03:23
Stigmatized
Written by Talvi on 05.11.2006 at 04:09

Hey, what you think of the next album? Crazier than Verisakeet: Now there are just 2 songs of 30 and 26 minutes. Will they succed, or they will be worse (like Verisakeet, in my opinion.)

I had very big expectations, if they returned to the Voimasta/Kivenkantaja sound. But so long songs... I'm afraid, even I love long songs.

I don't know. I'm really like Verisakeet, but the length of song for the new album is really over the top.
27.11.2006 - 03:41
danzig111
Account deleted
How long are the new songs for the upcoming album?

I can't wait to hear it by the way I love Folk Metal! Moonsorrow were the first band I heard from this genre. Their music isn't as upbeat and fun as their counterparts: Korpiklaani or Finntroll......But still a good listen
27.11.2006 - 04:35
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Talvi on 05.11.2006 at 04:09

Long songs are Moonsorrow's signature
And all the fans will cheer for this album , although they are almost 30 minutes long I'm gonna buy this album;D no matter what
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
03.12.2006 - 15:52
Keoren
Account deleted
The new album is a must-buy.

Two songs, 30 and 26 minutes... I'm a sucker for long song, but this sounds scary. Hope they wont overdo it.
15.12.2006 - 01:08
mastero87
I've already happened to hear V: Hävitetty. For me the sound is more like than on Verisäkeet but with slower tepo, and not as aggressive. Hard to listen to it anyway 30 min long songs are real trials to me. Its ambiance is quite good, nice album!
15.12.2006 - 02:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with the guy above, Hävitetty is a very good album, far better than what I expected, as I didn't really liked their last... I was scared about Moonsorrow doing extra long songs just for the sake of writing longs songs, but those in this album are truly well constructed, keeping a nice embracing ambience all throughout its length... I think I'm going to buy this one.
16.12.2006 - 02:26
Talvi
Already listened to the new album. I've heard it like 5-6 times in a row. I still don't understand it yet. I only now they are genious. Genious. Genious. Genious.

Really, I never listened to their demos, but now I'll do. Fuck, this may be their best album. Maybe the best album I've ever heard. Don't be afraid of the length: this album doesn't have the Verisakeet syndrome. I just need to listen to this some more times to be sure of all these...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
17.12.2006 - 16:03
danzig111
Account deleted
I doubt that the new long song will be good I don't know. Unless like they do a few 5 minute folk / acoustic passages in between then it might be sweet
21.12.2006 - 13:23
Judas
The Amputator
The cover art says it all. Insanely awesome covers usually lead to fantastic music, and this album, while probably their most ambitious, will be the one that I'll respect the most, because of their willingness to take risks. And believe me, it has paid off!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.12.2006 - 13:49
KryptoN
imperceptible
"V: Hävitetty" is one of their best, definitely. I was afraid that the length of the songs would result in either repetition or loss of uniformity. I'm glad those fears were unnecessary. Even though the songs are very long, they are in no way tedious. Well, for example there is basically an over 7 minute intro to "Jäästä syntynyt / Varjojen virta" and it's one of my favorite parts on the whole album.

The songs are consistent, atmospheric, emotional and they progress in a very interesting way into complex and epic pieces of art. This is, in my opinion, by far their most solid and uniform album. I must have played the album through at least 15 times now and every time I find a lot of new things and aspects. One side that really hits me is the lyrical content. There are not many Finnish lyricists who can impress me and it's hard to explain why in this case it's special (Moonsorrow's lyrics have always been very good though), there's just some kind of a feeling deep within the stories that really gets me. Another thing I noticed right away was the excellent production and to me it seems like this is exactly what they should sound like. All in all, this album has great potential to become my favorite by them. I just decided it is my favorite album by them. Just can't resist it... it's growing on me more and more each time I listen to it. Can't fucking wait to buy it. Someone say something before I explode trying to edit this post over and over again.
07.01.2007 - 16:40
Frostulv
Account deleted
Moonsorrow is one of my number-one favourites and I'm looking forward to the new album like a small kid is waiting for Christmas Eve. I heard some excerpts from the YouTube video on their homepage and I must admit it seems really, really promising. Moonsorrow is also one of the bands I hold in high regard where I've actually had problems choosing a favourite album, so I'm really excited about what Ville, Henri and the others have come up with this time. From KryptoN's post, it sounds really promising.
08.01.2007 - 15:47
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I havent heard much of them, just few songs,and little from Tuska 2003 video... But from what i'v heard, it sounds pretty interesting.
----
08.01.2007 - 19:18
Ruun
Account deleted
I could already listen to their songs too and it sounds awesome. It's already worth to buy it for listening this 7 Minute genious intro. Simple, Easy to listen and so epic and with this genious style it will go to the mainparts switching between quiet more folk influenced passages and the typical louder sound and vocals. My favourite part are the last 10 Minutes of the second song ... In my opinion: pure masterpiece

too bad i can't unterstand the finnish lyrics.... life is so unfair =(

I think, it's difficult to compare it with the other album because every one has his own unique style.
09.01.2007 - 17:17
Frostulv
Account deleted
Just one day left until the release! I'm really anticipated from what all you people have said. I hope I get the chance to pick it up at the end of the week.
09.01.2007 - 19:31
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Guest on 08.01.2007 at 19:18

I could already listen to their songs too and it sounds awesome. It's already worth to buy it for listening this 7 Minute genious intro. Simple, Easy to listen and so epic and with this genious style it will go to the mainparts switching between quiet more folk influenced passages and the typical louder sound and vocals. My favourite part are the last 10 Minutes of the second song ... In my opinion: pure masterpiece

too bad i can't unterstand the finnish lyrics.... life is so unfair =(

I think, it's difficult to compare it with the other album because every one has his own unique style.
Hey dude it's not that unfair go to the www.Darklyrics.com there you can find huge amount of metal bands and their lyricks
Moonsorrows lyricks in finnish and ENGLISH
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

09.01.2007 - 20:06
Daru Jericho
Moonsorrow are great and all but I'm slightly apprehensive about the song lengths of the new album. I don't suppose anyone has heard a promo version of it already?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

10.01.2007 - 21:32
Keoren
Account deleted
The album has been officially released!
10.01.2007 - 21:54
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Yes it is! tomorrow I'm gonna buy it yes yes yes
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

12.01.2007 - 12:04
Judas
The Amputator
Oh yeah, can't wait to finally get my hands on this! I'll probably have to order it in though, which will take a while. It'll definitely be worth the wait though!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
12.01.2007 - 16:49
Detric
King Of Twilight
Does anyone have the exact date when this album is gonna come out? Is it January 10th in Europe and Janury 15th in rest of the world? Thanks in advance.
12.01.2007 - 20:14
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, I just listened the last album and I gotta say I'm impressed. I was starting it with fear because well... 2 songs and 57 minutes.... But the songs just flow, I totally lost time, I didn't have any feeling one song lasts for 30 minutes. Moonsorrow are known for their long songs, but this two surpasses them all. Great album - great two songs, they hold great folk atmospheres and the acoustic guitars really fit in.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.02.2007 - 21:00
Skald
Account deleted
I have very different feelings about the new album. Though Moonsorrow is one of my favorite bands, this album was a complete let down for me. I think there was maybe like 5 minutes in the entire piece that I really liked. But asides this, it's too damn monotonous. I wouldn't be able to tell one song from the other. Both sound pretty much the same. And what's worse, they sound pretty much like their past work. Sure, they have their style, but they should develop on it instead of standing in one place. The album doesn't really introduce anything new.
And the vocals, oh gods =/
Most of vocals consist of (medium quality) growls that don't show much variety throughout the entire album. There are some chantish interludes, but not nearly as good as those on Raunioilla or Sankaritarina. And last but not least, the songs don't have any high points. They just go on and on _interlude_ and then back to the monotony.

To conclude, in my opinion, their latest album is neither on their usual level, nor in any way original. Heck, it's crap :|
04.02.2007 - 22:46
MetalSpider
The new album is my least favourite of Moonsorrow. Its a good album but like Skald said it was a bit monotonous for me.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
10.05.2007 - 08:52
Meuterei
Account deleted
Meh. I think it's absolutely brilliant.
15.05.2007 - 00:53
Darktonny
Account deleted
Very good band, yep. My favourite album is Verisakeet, nearly followed by their last album, V:Havitetty. Amazing band.
22.05.2007 - 06:49
MetalSpider
Ive been listening to their latest album lately and Im liking it a lot more then I initially did.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!