Metal Storm logo
Moonsorrow

17.05.2006 - 23:49
Talvi
Well, I just had to do this. My favorite band HAS to have their own topic. Because, well, Moonsorrow is THE BAND. Iron Maiden are the godfathers. Dream Theater are the perfect musicians. But the spirit, the magic, the VIKINGS... Moonsorrow are my, for me, the GODS (sorry if some peoplie didn't like this 'adjective')

It's just that the melodies they have chill my full body... I love every one of their albums, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is my favorite album, ever. Unohduksen Lapsi, my favorite song of theirs.

Their style is just unique. All their songs (or most of them) are epics, from 6 to 13 minutes (14-19 for Verikansaa), which very repetitive riffs and very keyboard driven melodies. No other band has played or plays like them, which makes them a very original and unique band. It's useless loving a band when 50 other bands play the same, and maybe better. Not with them.

And well, just comment what you think of this band, which will release a new album later this year. I hope it will be the best album of 2006 (with competition like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden).

Hail the vikings!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
18.05.2006 - 00:44
lusitanian
i have listen to Voimasta Ja Kunniasta and i don't realy understand a piece of word they say....but why shoud i understand whem it is not necessary? the melodie the voice are....wowowowo
18.05.2006 - 17:50
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Best song is definitely Sankaritarina monumental story about war heroes which are receiving funeral at sea

I like every album fav is Kivenkantaja
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
18.05.2006 - 17:59
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
@ Largos
I agree with each word that you said ,Monnsorrow are very special band ,i think they are the best folk (viking who cares ) band i have ever heard ,and the atmoshphere at the songs is just amazing .
btw they are the first folk band i started from .
and my fav album is : "Veriskeet" ,the last one .
and yes i am waiting for their next album
----
18.05.2006 - 18:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I like them, but I was disappointed with hearing: Voimasta. Yes, they make great music, but not 'godlike'.

I don't get the big attention, though I can't deny they have nice music.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.05.2006 - 19:58
Judas
The Amputator
They are definitely one of my absolute crème de la crème of bands. Been a big fan for 2 years, heard absolutely everything that they've ever put out, and haven't ever been disappointed. Sure, Metsä sucks, but it's good to look back on to see how far they've come since. Tämä Ikuinen Talvi is quite a decent effort for a demo as well (Luopion Veri ranks among my top Moonsorrow songs), and from there they haven't looked back. Of the full length albums, my favourite would have to be Kivenkantaja, with Voimasta Ja Kunniasta a close second. Suden Uni and Verisäkeet are unbelievable too, and every one of their albums features in my personal top 20 albums of all time. If you haven't heard them, you've missed out on an essential part of being a person, so go out and buy all their stuff now!!! The atmosphere created in their music is second to none: it's hauntingly mournful at times and then suddenly aggressive, and then really happy too! It has to be heard to believe. A great band.

P.S. Henri Sorvali is a fat mole.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.05.2006 - 23:56
Talvi
Written by Lucas on 18.05.2006 at 18:14

I like them, but I was disappointed with hearing: Voimasta. Yes, they make great music, but not 'godlike'.

I don't get the big attention, though I can't deny they have nice music.

Well, maybe for me, who I love vikings, they are. And at first I wasn't so interesed because of the vocals (then I didn't liked growls) but the melody, specially keyboards, made me listen to them a lot more. But well, I accept others tastes.

Written by Judas on 18.05.2006 at 19:58

They are definitely one of my absolute crème de la crème of bands. Been a big fan for 2 years, heard absolutely everything that they've ever put out, and haven't ever been disappointed. Sure, Metsä sucks, but it's good to look back on to see how far they've come since. Tämä Ikuinen Talvi is quite a decent effort for a demo as well (Luopion Veri ranks among my top Moonsorrow songs), and from there they haven't looked back. Of the full length albums, my favourite would have to be Kivenkantaja, with Voimasta Ja Kunniasta a close second. Suden Uni and Verisäkeet are unbelievable too, and every one of their albums features in my personal top 20 albums of all time. If you haven't heard them, you've missed out on an essential part of being a person, so go out and buy all their stuff now!!! The atmosphere created in their music is second to none: it's hauntingly mournful at times and then suddenly aggressive, and then really happy too! It has to be heard to believe. A great band.

P.S. Henri Sorvali is a fat mole.

I agree on everything (except well, I don't have a top 20 albums yet... but every or at least 3 would go into that top), specially the last lines. And well, I haven't listened their demos yet. The next album HAS to rock for sure, because they "can't" do 5 masterpieces in a row, can't they?
----
19.05.2006 - 04:50
Puff
The Forlorn
Written by Talvi on 17.05.2006 at 23:49

Moonsorrow is THE BAND.

Yup, Thats Right.

Moonsorrow has to be one of my favorite bands. They have incredibly looong songs and I never get bored of them. Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is the Best Viking Masterpiece ever Created even The Intro ''Tyven'' is fuckin Epic!!!!1 and with songs like Sankarihauta and Aurinko ja Kuu the album is just perfect. The rest of their albums and demos are damned good aswell.. I just can't wait for their new album!
----
19.05.2006 - 05:00
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I think they are great Viking Metal, i would have made this in the extreme thread though as the overall sound is Extreme.
The worst thing about the band is their repetitve guitar riffs... but they still make great music
Voimasta is my fav album.
19.05.2006 - 12:41
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.05.2006 at 05:00

I think they are great Viking Metal, i would have made this in the extreme thread though as the overall sound is Extreme.
The worst thing about the band is their repetitve guitar riffs... but they still make great music
Voimasta is my fav album.

IMO the repetitive riffing adds to the whole epic atmosphere.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.05.2006 - 13:15
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
btw here is video of Moonsorrow http://youtube.com/watch?v=u_fNFjgREx0&search=moonsorrow
----
19.05.2006 - 17:08
Kurzag
Account deleted
They are on my top 5 list. IMO Henri Sorvali is one of the best musicans in the scene today. And he have manage to create some such beautiful folkloric stuff with Moonsorrow. The musicans in the band is also very talented.
All their albums are brilliant. But favourite album from them is Verisäkeet. Their most epic and darkest album, but also different from their prebious releases. Another great thing about it is the atmosphere.
23.05.2006 - 17:49
MasterOfMuppets
Account deleted
My fav is Kivenkantaja.
I actually read the lyrics and learn finn that way .
The folkish parts are well integrated with heavy riffing and the drumwork is pretty fn awsome. The bass line isn't as boring/routine as in normal folk bands, and they aren't radiating a "happy" stmosphere. Perfect for the middle of the night picnics by the beach with my metal friends .
23.05.2006 - 17:49
MasterOfMuppets
Account deleted
My fav is Kivenkantaja.
I actually read the lyrics and learn finn that way .
The folkish parts are well integrated with heavy riffing and the drumwork is pretty fn awsome. The bass line isn't as boring/routine as in normal folk bands, and they aren't radiating a "happy" stmosphere. Perfect for the middle of the night picnics by the beach with my metal friends .
24.05.2006 - 03:21
Surtur
Well is hard to say which album is the best, I justa have to say that Moonsorrow is one of the best bands I've ever heard, and I really enjoy Kylan paasa...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
24.05.2006 - 22:10
LYnX
my fav album is kivenkantaja

but song... so many... probably Raunioilla 'cause it is long enough and melodic as well.
I love this band.
----
24.05.2006 - 22:35
Revenant
Account deleted
GODS! Kivenkanataja is the best for sure, clean singing works wonders.

The demo song Kuun Surru is beautiful
25.05.2006 - 05:28
Surtur
The members of the band are to skillful playing all the instruments, but Henri Sorvalli is one of the best musicians in metal scene, I haven't heared something that dislike me from what he plays in Finntroll or in Moonsorrow...
----
25.05.2006 - 15:51
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I knew them through Voimasta Ja Kunniasta 3 years ago and was amazed, I still find that lbum awesome, but everything I heard later dissapointed me, it wasn't that strong.
27.05.2006 - 20:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Largos. Yes, it surely has it's moments, but well, as I said I don't think of them Godlike. I prefer bands suchs as early Manegarm, who are more extreme. But yes, each ot his own.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.05.2006 - 06:29
Surtur
You have to sit and hear them a few, discover all the sounds that the albums have, you just can't say that they aren't to harsh, personally I think that they hav evolved since Suden Uni maybe Verisäkeet is not the best album, but it's amazing, and Kivenkantaja is an awesome mixture between folk and epic metal...
----
19.06.2006 - 20:16
hottercraft
Wow!! Largos, you know, I think that Moonsorrow is one of the best Viking Metal bands around the world, I can also say ATMOSPHERIC Viking Metal, and I love it. Moonsorrow should be a more rated band... because they're really fantastic. Haha, fuck the song "Unohduksen Lapsi", it's one of their best songs!!! And I didn't believe it, Largos... I'm a little stupid jajajaja!!! So, my favourite song is still "Sankaritarina", and my favourite CD... "Voimasta Ja Kunniasta". OR NOT??? jaja. I'm waiting for the new release... i'm sure it is going to be really a fucking masterpiece. Vikings 4life, guy!!!
19.06.2006 - 22:30
Stigmatized
I like them. My favorite album is Verisäkeet. The songs tend to be a little long for my taste, but I listen to them every now and then.
19.06.2006 - 23:58
Talvi
Written by Stigmatized on 19.06.2006 at 22:30

I like them. My favorite album is Verisäkeet. The songs tend to be a little long for my taste, but I listen to them every now and then.

mmm... so you think their problem is that their songs are long BUT your favorite is Verisäkeet... Dude, you have a SERIOUS problem
----
20.06.2006 - 00:51
Stigmatized
Written by Talvi on 19.06.2006 at 23:58

Written by Stigmatized on 19.06.2006 at 22:30

mmm... so you think their problem is that their songs are long BUT your favorite is Verisäkeet... Dude, you have a SERIOUS problem

Ah, whatever. All their songs are rather lengthy. I didn't say that was a problem, it's just that it's not my preference. That doesn't stop me from enjoying their music though. I said they "tend" to be a little long. Which means that I can't listen to it all the time. If I'm in the right mood it's no problem.
20.06.2006 - 01:33
Daru Jericho
Been getting into them over the past couple of months. They're pretty awesome. I like their long compositions and the catchy riffing. Now all I need to do is read the translated lyrics.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.06.2006 - 02:49
Talvi
The lyrics are in their homepage. They are in English too.
----
20.06.2006 - 07:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Talvi on 20.06.2006 at 02:49

The lyrics are in their homepage. They are in English too.

and incredibly good to be pagan metal
20.06.2006 - 19:15
matos
Have you seen the video for the song "Jumalten Kaupunki" ?
I find it a bit funny especially the singer when he opens the mouth in a wrong way, i mean it doesn't fit to the actual vocals.
quite a good video all in all.
----
21.06.2006 - 14:29
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by matos on 20.06.2006 at 19:15

Have you seen the video for the song "Jumalten Kaupunki" ?
I find it a bit funny especially the singer when he opens the mouth in a wrong way, i mean it doesn't fit to the actual vocals.
quite a good video all in all.

Yeah it's hilarious. I heard that it's made basically with a zero budget, and that's definitely what it looks like.