Metal Storm logo
Wacken Open Air 2006 Day 1

Event: Wacken Open Air 2006
Written by: jupitreas
Published: 25.09.2006

Wacken Open Air 2006 Festival Review

Wacken? How can one write about the biggest metal festival in the world (over 60,000 people this year!!!) in a serious and objective way? Well, let me tell you - it's impossible. Wacken Open Air is simply an unreal experience, a metal Mecca, a great party that anybody who considers themselves a metal fan should come to at least once in their lives. The individual performances of the bands become meaningless when we think about the sheer magnitude of the event and about all of the insane fun that it offers for fans of any genre of metal. For this reason, I'm not even going to bother describing in detail each of the over 70 different shows that Wacken was offering this year. It's physically impossible for one journalist to see all of them anyway. Instead, I will simply describe Wacken as an experience and why we should all strive not to miss it next year.

DAY 1

It all began on August 3rd. I came to Wacken by train from Hamburg and already on the way I was astonished at just how many people were also going to the festival. The train was literally packed with metalheads and every wagon was a de facto metal party with boomboxes set on 11 and everybody happily providing the other, 'normal' passengers with the occasional growl or high pitched scream. That was just the beginning though. When I finally arrived at Itzehoe (a city very close to Wacken) what I saw was a sea of black t-shirts and long hair, all waiting for the shuttle buses to take them to the festival site itself. Wacken is a fairly small town (actually, more like a village) about 15 kilometers away from Itzehoe, with a population of around 1,700 people. Of course, now it was filled with the thousands of metalheads that come to Wacken every year. I quickly managed to find the press area and set up my tent and I was ready to start mingling, meeting Metalstormers and enjoying the show.

When I entered the festival site itself, it became very apparent to me exactly what sort of an event I was dealing with here. The atmosphere in Wacken is simply superb - everybody is extremely friendly, open-minded and free. There were no signs of aggression or inappropriate behavior from anyone. Instead, we were all enjoying the great Wacken beer (brewed especially for the festival), chatting about metal and waiting for our favorite bands. It is also notable to say that even the more left-field bands that found their way to Wacken this year - Ministry, Danko Jones, Tourettes Syndrome, Fear Factory etc. - were treated with as much respect as the 'real' metal bands that most of the people came to see.

Day 1 was in fact "Scorpions Day". All of the major performances this day were by artists connected to this legendary German hard rock band. The first to play was a band called Faster Inferno, featuring Tyson Schenker (Michael Schenker's son). The German hard rock/heavy metal band Victory followed and offered some more traditional, retro metal to the growing audience. When Michael Schenker and his group started their set, there were already thousands of people around the True Metal Stage. Finally, the stars of the night entered the stage. This was indeed a very special day for Scorpions fans since the band performed a very long set consisting of many old classics ("When The Smoke Is Going Down", "Virgin Killer", "Speedy's Coming" etc.) and with guest appearances by most of their past members, including Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and drummer Herman Rarebell. Although some fans were complaining that the band was not necessarily in top form, I still think this was definitely a 'night to remember'. Towards the end of the Scorpions set, a mechanical scorpion entered the stage. I'm all for theatrics but this scorpion was just so small that the only thing I could think of was Spinal Tap. I was waiting for the midgets to come out and start dancing around it but they never did?

NOTE: All photographs used by permission of Rolf Klatt / metaltix.com. All rights reserved

Written on 25.09.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 26 users
25.09.2006 - 23:51
Basso
Account deleted
I didnt see any bands this night ^^. I was busy hanging out with all the nice people that popped up from everywhere.
Not a big loss though, dont like any of the bands anyway.
26.09.2006 - 00:14
Promonex
Cathemeral
At least it was more of "A Night To Remember" (that's how they call it themselves) than last year. Last year they had Tristania, Candlemass, Oomph! and Nightwish, which had nothing in common at all. But at least last year's ANTR had IMO interesting bands, this year I would've probably bored myself to death.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
28.09.2006 - 12:32
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
It was a great night, and nice meeting you man, we were pretty pissed by this stage at the beer garden, but we still saw Scorpions, was fucking awesome!
I ended up meeting from MS Judas (my fellow Aussie Wacken buddy), Jupitreas (the first MS staff member ive met), buki (the biggest pisshead viking from Croatia), black_mass (another fellow Aussie who i planned to meet, though i lost after first night, i think its because we were into opposite bands haha)... i missed Abyme by about 5 mins according to buki, oh well 4 members i met, good enough!
05.10.2006 - 13:22
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
Oh yes,wacken.... No comments exept that i'll be there next year...

And big cheers to MSers i met,Abyme,kaoskrew,Judas,Black mass,Jupitras, and that guy with ugly kewell aussie t-shirt,dark cornatus ( next time i will chop you in half with my true kvlt grim necro uber viking axe )
07.10.2006 - 06:14
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
hahaha, you can bring your inflatable axe again, i will bring a real one, with beer smeared on the end, so you can at least enjoy the taste as i swing it into your mouth!

Screw you for going again next year.... its going to be the best Wacken yet... nooooo
01.11.2006 - 23:33
Basso
Account deleted
LoL I was so cought up by all the cool people I met that I forgot to meet the Msers at the beer garden. Well screw it , I will have to meet you next year instead!
27.11.2006 - 03:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
you lucky bastard....some day I will go.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 4527 | This month: 8