‹‹ Back to the Recreation Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Users visited: 290  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Oaken on 13.09.2012 at 16:33
Written by whatsacow on 13.09.2012 at 05:38

Written by Oaken on 13.09.2012 at 02:41

I'm playing Max Payne 3. Good game, that guy seems to never, ever die.

Really? It's a decently hard game, so my Max died a fuckload.

I'm playing it with the easiest settings and the aim assist turned on
BTW I meant that in the cutscenes he gets shot and falls from roofs and many other things, but he's so immortal

Page 31 of 34

Karlabos
Yes, Karlabos.

14.06.2014 at 23:50
Written by Dima on 13.06.2014 at 15:47

oh PLEASE be in the game

Reminded me of this guy:

Which by the way I never discovered who he is
----
( ˘ﮦ ᴗ ˘ﮦ) ♪ '
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

14.06.2014 at 23:50
Written by Uldreth on 14.06.2014 at 23:41

Hmm.

I am looking for dark fantasy themed RPG games with a quite specific set of parameters:

- It needs to be for PC or have a PC port (though badly ported games make me rage, menu movement in Skyrim and Force Unleashed had me stop playing with either)
- I am not obsessed over graphics, but I'd like them to have some semi-good graphics at least. As much as I love Torment for example, the graphics are just too dated.
- I 'd like it to have a dark, oppressive and mysterious mood/atmosphere, achieved through subtlety mainly (Undying is a perfect game in this sense, though it is not an RPG)
- I want it to be heavily story based and that is my most important criterium here. Another reason why I stopped playing Skyrim very soon after it came out is that I felt the game was "too open" and whilst I could do whatever I wanted, story elements felt too sparse. I want the game to feel like an interactive movie or series. Torment and Dragon Age I are good examples of this criterium.
- The combat system has to be real time and I'd prefer to have to control only one character (ie. not like dragon age).
- As I am going for immersion, I don't care for super (mechanics-wise) complexity or super difficulty. Actually, in this case, if the game is super complex stat-wise or super hard, it would probably detract much.
- I want to be able to play some sort of mage. I guess this is a minor point since the vast majority of fantasy games allow that. Would also prefer the story to heavily involve mages but that's not the most important thing.

The vid Joe linked above of the unreleased game seems like something I could like. Also thinking about Dark Souls but I'm afraid the difficulty would kill me in this regard. Does that game fit the rest of my parameters?

As to say some examples that almost satisfy me:
Planescape: Torment's quite philosophical and rich story, dark mood and (non-mechanical) complexity is something I really really dig but the graphics sorta kill my immersion. Also I don't like the combat but since I can avoid it most of the time, it doesn't matter.

Dragon Age is also quite good in the story department, but I really dislike that I have to manage at least 4 characters and I don't like the combat system in general.

Undying has an extremely powerful mood and atmosphere but it isn't an RPG.

Darksiders II has a super cool atmosphere and combat, but the story is not very much emphasised (nor is the main character something that is interesting from a story point of view) so I ended up putting it in the Diablo-like category and I get bored with it quite fast.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Dark Souls would fill everything except story. The narrative in Souls games is obscure to say the least. There's very little dialogue and most of what's available is interpreted from reading descriptions of items etc. That said the bleak minimalism is extremely immersive. As for its difficulty, yeah it's hard, but once you learn the ropes you'll enjoy the challenge most likely as the game forces you to be a good player without being cheap.

Witcher 2 might be up your alley. Also look into Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I haven't managed to immerse myself in it yet but it sounds like what you'd be looking for. It's old but it uses the source engine which I still think looks pretty decent today. Maybe even Mass Effect, though not fantasy of course.
----
Dima

15.06.2014 at 04:48
Written by Karlabos on 14.06.2014 at 23:50

Written by Dima on 13.06.2014 at 15:47

oh PLEASE be in the game

Reminded me of this guy:

Which by the way I never discovered who he is

I just know it's by a called Aleksei Germanski.
Uldreth

15.06.2014 at 12:04
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 14.06.2014 at 23:50

Dark Souls would fill everything except story. The narrative in Souls games is obscure to say the least. There's very little dialogue and most of what's available is interpreted from reading descriptions of items etc. That said the bleak minimalism is extremely immersive. As for its difficulty, yeah it's hard, but once you learn the ropes you'll enjoy the challenge most likely as the game forces you to be a good player without being cheap.

Witcher 2 might be up your alley. Also look into Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I haven't managed to immerse myself in it yet but it sounds like what you'd be looking for. It's old but it uses the source engine which I still think looks pretty decent today. Maybe even Mass Effect, though not fantasy of course.

Right, thanks. I guess I'll be trying out Dark Souls soon, it has been on my radar anyways.

Vamprie doesn't seem appealing at all to me in terms of setting, but I looked into it and it seems to be praised a lot and also came up a lot in discussions pertaining to games similar to PS:T, so I think I might try that and see if I can look past the setting.

Witcher 2 I need to check out. Also for now I think I might be trying KotOR II, strangely I haven't played either of those games and I read that II is basically PS:T in Star Wars, which, due to how black and white SW is, might be weird. It also might not be fantasy but SW is basically wizards in space so I am not complaining.

I did play Mass Effect, but only the first one and I abandoned it early on. Not sure why, as I liked playing it.
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
ANGEL REAPER

17.06.2014 at 01:25
Im playing Duke Nukem 3D ...yeah the old one form '96 ..ah the memories
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
Ilham
attention whore*

20.06.2014 at 00:06
Okay guys, I don't buy often, and usually never something more expensive than $5. The Witcher 2 is on sale at 4 bucks, and FarCry3 for 7.5. Which one do I get?
There's also the whole FarCry bundle, with the whole trilogy going for 14.8.

I never played a Witcher game before, but I did enjoy FarCry1, for a couple hours at a friend's place.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

20.06.2014 at 00:24
Written by Ilham on 20.06.2014 at 00:06
The Witcher 2 is on sale at 4 bucks... There's also the whole FarCry bundle, with the whole trilogy going for 14.8.

20 bucks for 4 games is a steal.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Ilham
attention whore*

20.06.2014 at 00:29
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2014 at 00:24

20 bucks for 4 games is a steal.

Friend, I'm broke. I shouldn't even be buying a single one of those .
Dima

20.06.2014 at 03:59
Written by Ilham on 20.06.2014 at 00:06

Okay guys, I don't buy often, and usually never something more expensive than $5. The Witcher 2 is on sale at 4 bucks, and FarCry3 for 7.5. Which one do I get?
There's also the whole FarCry bundle, with the whole trilogy going for 14.8.

I never played a Witcher game before, but I did enjoy FarCry1, for a couple hours at a friend's place.

I'd go with the Witcher 2. Nearly half the price and you'll get more hours out of it. You'll also most likely replay it because you make a big choice in the game about halfway through. Need a decent PC to run it, and a great one to run it well though. Personally I didn't like it that much because of the political story and the combat but it's got tons of content, a nice world and quite a few memorable characters. Only joy I got out of Far Cry 3 was exploding enemy bases with c4/rpgs etc...but that can only last so long.
Mattybu
crusty juggler

20.06.2014 at 05:31
So I had a good old fashioned 3-hour MGS4 session today (which is pretty long by my standards). Almost ragequitted the game altogether because Crying Wolf killed me. I got her down to a tiny sliver of health, and before I knew about that charge attack that does around 60% hp damage I was at half health and figured, alright I should be good considering the railgun to the face does like 5%, then Crying Wolf charged at me and killed me in one shot, and I was pretty mad. The next time I just made sure to use a ration anytime I got below 50% health and eventually killed her.

Then right after there's this cutscene where she lies on the ground and says something about hearing crying babies, and I won't lie, I lol'd. MGS is silly sometimes.
----
I ain't gon not gona ain't give you dis pie if you ain't not gonna ack rite
Dima

20.06.2014 at 11:17
Speaking of MGS, MGS5 half hour demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5iBjGvt9w
Mattybu
crusty juggler

20.06.2014 at 20:31
I don't know if I'll have much left in the MGS tank after I finish #4. I'll probably go back to 3 someday, seeing as it is one of the games I consider a masterpiece on basically every level.
----
Neff Malakian

20.06.2014 at 21:36
On my PS3 I've been playing Minecraft and Soul Calibur 4. On my laptop, I started playing Knights Fable and League of Angels.
----
My Grooveshark Profile
Ilham
attention whore*

20.06.2014 at 21:53
Written by Dima on 20.06.2014 at 03:59

I'd go with the Witcher 2. Nearly half the price and you'll get more hours out of it. You'll also most likely replay it because you make a big choice in the game about halfway through. Need a decent PC to run it, and a great one to run it well though. Personally I didn't like it that much because of the political story and the combat but it's got tons of content, a nice world and quite a few memorable characters. Only joy I got out of Far Cry 3 was exploding enemy bases with c4/rpgs etc...but that can only last so long.

Yeah I tried to buy it yesterday but there's a security measure that prevents me from buying anything from my Moroccan IP with a French card. I guess I'll do it the pirate way. You're the one who recommended The Witcher and Mass Effect series to me, right? What did you think of Watch Dogs, worth the hours of reduced bandwidth because of the download, or?
Dima

21.06.2014 at 13:02
Written by Ilham on 20.06.2014 at 21:53

Yeah I tried to buy it yesterday but there's a security measure that prevents me from buying anything from my Moroccan IP with a French card. I guess I'll do it the pirate way. You're the one who recommended The Witcher and Mass Effect series to me, right? What did you think of Watch Dogs, worth the hours of reduced bandwidth because of the download, or?

I most likely recommended The Witcher but I think Joe recommended Mass Effect which I'd also recommend. Many people get put off by The Witcher because of its dated visuals. Both franchises will give you great value for money/bandwidth.

I personally hate Watch Dogs. Bad optimization, disgusting driving mechanics and controls, annoying protagonist and just boring for me. Witcher + ME over Watch Dogs any day of the week.
Slayer666

21.06.2014 at 14:41
Written by Uldreth on 15.06.2014 at 12:04

Vamprie doesn't seem appealing at all to me in terms of setting, but I looked into it and it seems to be praised a lot and also came up a lot in discussions pertaining to games similar to PS:T, so I think I might try that and see if I can look past the setting.

Witcher 2 I need to check out. Also for now I think I might be trying KotOR II, strangely I haven't played either of those games and I read that II is basically PS:T in Star Wars, which, due to how black and white SW is, might be weird. It also might not be fantasy but SW is basically wizards in space so I am not complaining.

Just play Vampire. Honestly, I've gotten pretty sick even of myself for hyping that game so much whenever I'm given half a chance, but seriously, it's just that good. If you can overlook some bugs here and there. Although, there are so many unofficial patches out there that bugs are almost completely rooted out and even the game itself is improved. So install a shitload of patches and enjoy one of the greatest games ever made.

As for KotOR, only the second one is Planescape:Torment-ish. The first one is a pretty standard SW affair with a huge "ZOMG WTF" twist, but the second one is truly miles ahead in terms of narrative, writing, characters and overall themes. It's about as close as you're going to get to Planescape, IMHO.
Dima

21.06.2014 at 16:57
Written by Mattybu on 20.06.2014 at 20:31

I don't know if I'll have much left in the MGS tank after I finish #4. I'll probably go back to 3 someday, seeing as it is one of the games I consider a masterpiece on basically every level.

Ye MGS3 is masterfully executed on nearly every level.
IronAngel

21.06.2014 at 21:07
I feel that the success of the Mass Effect series overshadowed KotTORs, but they are genuinely better in terms of gameplay and exploration. ME has them beat in cinematic narrative, of course.

I am gonna do VtM: Bloodlines after I finish the XCOM campaign. Have Dark Souls unfinished but to be honest, it's not a game I find myself immersed in for long periods. After a while of dropping off ledges or dying to a greedy swipe at the last enemy before the next bonfire, I just go on tilt and need to play something else. Working my way through the game slowly and I appreciate it for what it is, but I do not feel it's the pinnacle of gaming.
Slayer666

21.06.2014 at 21:49
Written by IronAngel on 21.06.2014 at 21:07

Working my way through the game slowly and I appreciate it for what it is, but I do not feel it's the pinnacle of gaming.

Pretty much how I feel about the Souls series as well. The challenge factor, trial-and-error mechanics and good boss design (for the most part) are pretty much the only reasons I like those games. If the difficulty wasn't set to what it is and the enemies weren't as varied and interesting, the Souls series would have been a collection of completely average, if not sub-par games.
Uldreth

22.06.2014 at 13:18
Written by Slayer666 on 21.06.2014 at 14:41

Just play Vampire. Honestly, I've gotten pretty sick even of myself for hyping that game so much whenever I'm given half a chance, but seriously, it's just that good. If you can overlook some bugs here and there. Although, there are so many unofficial patches out there that bugs are almost completely rooted out and even the game itself is improved. So install a shitload of patches and enjoy one of the greatest games ever made.

As for KotOR, only the second one is Planescape:Torment-ish. The first one is a pretty standard SW affair with a huge "ZOMG WTF" twist, but the second one is truly miles ahead in terms of narrative, writing, characters and overall themes. It's about as close as you're going to get to Planescape, IMHO.

I really should check out that Vampire thing then hehe.

And aye, it is the second game I am playing. I should probably also get the restoration mod but first I wanna see how it is without it. SO far I am really liking it, Kreia is probably the best SW character I have encountered so far.

I am a bit set back by getting addicted to Torchlight though, recently .
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
Mad Arab666

24.06.2014 at 15:33
Playing fifa 13 along with mass effect trilogy. Never played mass effect before but heard alot hype and good things about it. That, baldirs gate, kotor and SWTOR are h only bioware games I haven't played.

I also spontaneously bought a PS4 but didn't realise that I needed a HD tv to play it. Saving up for one now. Guess I learnt to research stuff before I buy it.
----
One does not simply rock into Blashyrkh
Ernis
狼獾

25.06.2014 at 18:32
Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is wonderful. At first I was sceptic about it because I wasn't exactly a fan of the naval missions in the previous instalment. Turns out it's just another great example of this series where every game is an improved version of its predecessor.
----
Go ahead, make my day...
Mattybu
crusty juggler

25.06.2014 at 19:01
Written by Ernis on 25.06.2014 at 18:32

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is wonderful. At first I was sceptic about it because I wasn't exactly a fan of the naval missions in the previous instalment. Turns out it's just another great example of this series where every game is an improved version of its predecessor.

The DLC for that game actually looks really cool also. I have never played an AC game but I would try that DLC on it's own if I had the chance.
----
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

25.06.2014 at 20:51
Gonna give Skyrim another go, this time modded up to its eyeballs. Any good ones that might not be that well known?
----
Mattybu
crusty juggler

25.06.2014 at 21:03
Tales from Metal Gear Solid 4

Snake: Nahhyomii!!

*Snake collapses on the ground, panting and grunting. He gets up, lights a cigarette, takes a drag, coughs and grunts some more*

Snake: Hnghhh.... Ughh

Otacon: Okay Snake, listen up. Your next mission is going to take you into the middle of the CRTY's airbase. Rumor has it that the PLR has been shipping weapons in behind the CGF's back, and the HGP isn't happy about it.... The GBN has been on high security ever since. LIQUID is behind this! The US army is on high alert, because the Patriots are involved, and the GTC has no intel on them. We must atone for the sins of the past Snake...

Snake: Hnngg.... *coughs* unghh...

*Snake has flashbacks*

Snake:.....Otacon.. hnnghh.. I'm... unghh... not the same.. hnghhh... as I used to be... *coughs*

Otacon: I know Snake. The trouble is, Liquid knows what's going with Big Boss. If either of them find out where Big Mama is well... That would be trouble. But Big Boss isn't really working with Big Mama, in fact, Little Boss is working with the Patriots and they, in turn, have created a faux alignment with Liquid and Big Boss. Big Mama isn't going to be happy about this.

Snake: hnghh... Nahhyohmhi.....

*Snake is seen bent over coughing and gruntly for roughly 2 minutes, then is shortly afterwards airlifted to his next mission and dropped out of a helicopter from 50 feet*
----
Slayer666

26.06.2014 at 20:07
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 25.06.2014 at 20:51

Gonna give Skyrim another go, this time modded up to its eyeballs. Any good ones that might not be that well known?

I'm actually doing the exact same thing right now, only with Oblivion. Skyrim is nice and all, but Oblivion pumps me with so much nostalgia it starts dripping from my ears.

Funny thing is that I haven't heard of any real quality mods that overhaul Skyrim. It's all either graphic overhauls or some not-very-relevant gameplay changes.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

26.06.2014 at 20:31
Written by Slayer666 on 26.06.2014 at 20:07

I'm actually doing the exact same thing right now, only with Oblivion. Skyrim is nice and all, but Oblivion pumps me with so much nostalgia it starts dripping from my ears.

Funny thing is that I haven't heard of any real quality mods that overhaul Skyrim. It's all either graphic overhauls or some not-very-relevant gameplay changes.

I've been having a mess around. It's a lot of faffing really as the whole boot order thing gets really tedious. The RealVision ENB is a pretty significant visual upgrade but it wrecks my framerate and causes awful mouse lag. A bunch of others i can't seem to get working
----
Slayer666

26.06.2014 at 20:44
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 26.06.2014 at 20:31

I've been having a mess around. It's a lot of faffing really as the whole boot order thing gets really tedious. The RealVision ENB is a pretty significant visual upgrade but it wrecks my framerate and causes awful mouse lag. A bunch of others i can't seem to get working

Eh, Skyrim has nice enough graphics not to need upgrades, I think. I'm pretty happy with "Character Overhaul" in Oblivion that only improves faces of NPCs. Other than that, just pump all setting to the max and you're good to go even on a game from 2006.

There are some nice magic mods for Skyrim, though. Can't remember the names, but they make the abysmal magic system in Skyrim into a pretty decent one.
Ganondox

27.06.2014 at 18:26
Just won Rayman Origins, now I need to collect all the skull teeth so I can fight the real final boss.
!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

27.06.2014 at 18:29
Written by Slayer666 on 26.06.2014 at 20:44

Eh, Skyrim has nice enough graphics not to need upgrades, I think. I'm pretty happy with "Character Overhaul" in Oblivion that only improves faces of NPCs. Other than that, just pump all setting to the max and you're good to go even on a game from 2006.

There are some nice magic mods for Skyrim, though. Can't remember the names, but they make the abysmal magic system in Skyrim into a pretty decent one.

I dunno, I've been playing about with mods for the past few days and I'm not sure I could go back to vanilla any more. The textures in the game are horribly low-res and the game can look a bit flat out of the box, so it benefits quite a bit from some ENB things.
----

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Login or register to post here.