Metal Storm logo
Bands with 6 or more albums of which none are duds.

Original post

Posted by listmor, 28.08.2011 - 03:26
Think hard of the bands you like that have released six or more studio albums.

Which of those bands can you say that you thoroughly enjoy every album.

I love Black Sabbath but I don't really rate any of the albums after the Gillan one, and I think Never Say Die is great.

The big 4 of thrash have all had some albums that many would agree were terrible compared to their best, maybe I could argue that Slayer havent.

Of course bands cant make every album the same and their artistic expression changes so that we may no longer revere their work, but everyone has those bands that they beleive have never created anything but excellence.

I propose Judas Priest and Sodom.

Who do you propose, remembering a minimum of 6 studio albmus for the band to be eligible.
29.10.2011 - 11:07
ToMegaTherion
I can think of three...
Symphony X - I am yet to hear a bad song let alone a bad album from these guys.
Opeth - more than 10 albums now and not one is bad by any means. Even the new one as some have suggested at least IMO.
My Dying Bride - Probably the closest thing to a dud album from these guys in 37% Complete, but i still rather like the album anyway.
29.10.2011 - 21:20
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Slayer, to me every one of their albums is amazing and had pretty much no faults whatsoever.
29.10.2011 - 21:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I don't think I can think of a band that has released an album that I liked every single time. The main reasons are the growing pains (evolution) the band went through or the deterioration that longevity produced. My examples are:

Finding their sound: Fates Warning and Opeth...I like the back end of their discography waaaaaay more than the beginning
Time to give it up: Iron Maiden and Voivod...whether they ran out of ideas or just old age taken its toll
----
rekt
29.10.2011 - 22:51
Mattybu
Maybe Rush. Haven't heard all of their albums but I've never heard a Rush song I didn't like.

Also Death. They didn't have any duds IMO.
02.11.2011 - 11:28
listmor
I am amazed that no one has mentioned Kreator. They have a thrashing death style of metal. I was advised to give a listen to them and I cant say any of the albums I listened to was dissapointing in any way.

On top of that they must have over a dozen albums. So again I am really surprised no one has mentioned them.

Also I hadnt appreciated Morbid Angel until they were suggested in this topic earlier and they are faultless.

I would say that the thrash/death metal bands who dont experiment wildly tend to produce the best consistency. I like Brutal Death greatly and I know the old, "it all sounds the same argument" will come up but not many of this bands genre make it to the 6 or more album releases. Does anyone have any theories as to why this is the case?
02.11.2011 - 20:33
eponymous
@listmor
Well, Kreator had some pretty weak releases. Outcast?

So, if I understood it right, no duds (==terrible albums), minimum of albums is six, no dice if there's just one dud.

So:

Slough Feg - Hardworlder is the weakest of the bunch, but I'm sure many would disagree. Even so, it's a 7/10.
The Crown - The Burning (when they were still Crown of Thorns) through Possessed 13 are all good. I haven't listened to the new one enough, but it seems decent.
Electric Wizard - Witchcult is as close as they got to releasing a weak record.
Burzum - Why yes, yes I do like the ambient ones too.
Candlemass - I guess Dactylis is the least loved one, but I like it, and it's not a dud in any case.
Solitude Aeturnus - Not a single questionable one.

Agree with:
Enslaved
Opeth
Katatonia, Dark Tranquility and Nevermore are probable, but I haven't heard everything.

On the cusp nominees:
Hammers of Misfortune - They have six if you count the double one as two albums. Having heard the new one, I'm sure they will be on the above list if they make another one.
Mastodon - One more to go.
Isole - Ditto.

Agree with:
Esoteric

This is rather relaxed, though. If one was to understand 'no duds' as "all must be great / masterpieces", none would pass. But seeing as how the OP nominated Judas Priest and Sodom, I think it's safe to assume the first interpretation is correct.
02.11.2011 - 20:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by eponymous on 02.11.2011 at 20:33

Slough Feg - Hardworlder is the weakest of the bunch, but I'm sure many would disagree. Even so, it's a 7/10.

Witchcult and Hardworlder are their strongest releases if you ask me ;]
02.11.2011 - 20:41
eponymous
Written by Guest on 02.11.2011 at 20:36

Written by eponymous on 02.11.2011 at 20:33

Witchcult and Hardworlder are their strongest releases if you ask me ;]

Traveller and Dopethrone are, but thanks for the input
02.11.2011 - 20:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by eponymous on 02.11.2011 at 20:41

Traveller and Dopethrone are, but thanks for the input

Probably the two popular choices there I would imagine. Each representing somewhat of a different era in each band (yours earlier, mine later)
02.11.2011 - 20:59
ANGEL REAPER
I agree with all of you who wrote Bolt Thrower .Those guys (and girl ) have excellent quality control...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.11.2011 - 21:00
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
If we're talking about metal (nor the title of thread or the first post state so), then my choice is Therion. I enjoy every single album they have made, including the first three death releases (and death is really not my cup of tea) and the latest Sitra Ahra, that gote some negative reviews. I really like every release they have ever made, listen to it frequently, enjoy their music overall with all their adjustments in style and the change of musicians. But there are some albums I of course simply love and there are those which I enjoy and like. But that's the case with every band.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.11.2011 - 21:23
eponymous
Written by AnGina-- on 02.11.2011 at 21:00

If we're talking about metal (nor the title of thread or the first post state so)

It was posted in the General metal forum?
02.11.2011 - 22:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by eponymous on 02.11.2011 at 21:23

It was posted in the General metal forum?

That's why I chose a metal band?
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.11.2011 - 22:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by listmor on 02.11.2011 at 11:28
I am amazed that no one has mentioned Kreator. They have a thrashing death style of metal.

This isn't about bands that have released 6 good albums, it's about bands with at least 6 albums that haven't released a piece of crap.

Not all of their stuff is thrash...and not even all their thrash material is great.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.11.2011 - 23:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
This is my list of bands I think have pretty flawless discographies or have at worst an "okayish" album.

Akercocke (5 albums, I know... but all of them are quite awesome)
Blut Aus Nord (Even though there are albums I preffer more than others, there's nothing crappy here either)
Boris
Death
Earth
Esoteric
Immolation
Katatonia
Nadja (all albums sound too similar but they are all awesome so whatever)
Neurosis (first album ain't bad if you appreciate the style)
Pig Destroyer (If we consider the 30 min EP and compilation of all the splits/demo and first full lenght then we have 5 albums that are awesome)
Rammstein (Rosenrot is ok)
Sunn O)))
Theatre Of Tragedy (I like their electronic albums)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2011 - 00:04
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.11.2011 at 23:07

Theatre Of Tragedy (I like their electronic albums)

I agree on that one. Also adding:
- Summoning
- Trail of Tears
- Lacrimosa
- Amon Amarth
- Moonspell
- HIM (even though most of their discography is rock but they're featured on MS - yes I'm a fangirl and enjoy every single of their album, single or EP)
----
03.11.2011 - 07:24
listmor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.11.2011 at 22:17

Written by listmor on 02.11.2011 at 11:28
I am amazed that no one has mentioned Kreator. They have a thrashing death style of metal.

This isn't about bands that have released 6 good albums, it's about bands with at least 6 albums that haven't released a piece of crap.

Not all of their stuff is thrash...and not even all their thrash material is great.

I will take the time to re-listen, because I thought that last time I listened to all their stuff in one day (I am able to listen all day at work) I really thought I heard only good stuff.
03.11.2011 - 07:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by listmor on 03.11.2011 at 07:24
I will take the time to re-listen, because I thought that last time I listened to all their stuff in one day (I am able to listen all day at work) I really thought I heard only good stuff.

4 albums in particular you should re-visit: Cause For Conflict, Endorama, Renewal, and Outcast. Maybe you're of the opinion that those releases are good, but the general consensus (and I'm with the majority when it comes to this) don't think too highly of those albums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 10:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
For Kreator, both "Cause For Conflict" and "Outcast" are weak albums to me. The latter album in particular is for the most part dull and monotonous. I really like both "Renewal" and "Endorama" though...
03.11.2011 - 23:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Immolation and Dying Fetus. Both bands have made slight changes in their sound, but every album is good. Each album that both bands have released has its own identity as well
03.11.2011 - 23:41
king_matt
Written by Dangerboner on 03.11.2011 at 23:08

Immolation and Dying Fetus. Both bands have made slight changes in their sound, but every album is good. Each album that both bands have released has its own identity as well

Ah, I can't believe I forgot Dying Fetus. As for Immolation, I disagree as I am not a fan of them.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
04.11.2011 - 00:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by king_matt on 03.11.2011 at 23:41
As for Immolation, I disagree as I am not a fan of them.

I would disagree with your disagreement.

Immolation are one of the most consistent death metal band's in the genre's history. If you don't like them then you probably don't like any of their albums because none of them are drastically different.
----
04.11.2011 - 03:34
king_matt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.11.2011 at 00:08

Written by king_matt on 03.11.2011 at 23:41
As for Immolation, I disagree as I am not a fan of them.

I would disagree with your disagreement.

Immolation are one of the most consistent death metal band's in the genre's history. If you don't like them then you probably don't like any of their albums because none of them are drastically different.

You're actually right Dawn of Possession is okay.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
05.11.2011 - 03:16
JBeast666
Can't believe we have no Amon Amarth fans in here... Have yet to here a bad album from them and Rammstein is pretty solid if your into them.
----
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
― Richard Dawkins
05.11.2011 - 12:12
listmor
Quote:
4 albums in particular you should re-visit: Cause For Conflict, Endorama, Renewal, and Outcast. Maybe you're of the opinion that those releases are good, but the general consensus (and I'm with the majority when it comes to this) don't think too highly of those albums.

Ok, I have done the revisit and still enjoyed the so called "weak four". If I was to cast doubt over any of them it would have been Endorama. The lyrics are pretty soft, however at my age I dont need to be inspired or pumped up by the lyrics to enjoy the song. This is how I also can enjoy Brutal Death because I dont care what they are actually saying, the vocals are simply like an instrument to me these days. I also think the vocals, lyrics aside, are pure metal, 10 out of 10.

I dont and cant play so I can only say that I like the music. I suppose I can see how some may see it a little lame compared to their acclaimed albums but it sort of reminded me a little bit of Mortal Sins album, Every dog has its day. Not that I listened to Mortal Sin recently so the memory of similarity may be faulty.

Now to top it off I then Revisited and listened to Risk. Just to qualify a DUD. I could listen the whole way through but the low points are quite low and there is little to love.

So I think in what I like and enjoy, and my inability to be technically critical, there are no DUD Kreator albums.

Off course others will disagree.
21.11.2011 - 21:48
Oaken
Hipster
Immortal. I've listened to all of their albums except Sons Of Northern Darkness and All Shall Fall. Among the ones I heard, I find no duds. Blizzard Beasts is the weakest Immortal album (till now), but not weak enough to be called a dud.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
22.11.2011 - 02:27
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 21:48

Immortal. I've listened to all of their albums except Sons Of Northern Darkness and All Shall Fall. Among the ones I heard, I find no duds. Blizzard Beasts is the weakest Immortal album (till now), but not weak enough to be called a dud.

funny but i think that their first 3 releases are rather week albums...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.11.2011 - 02:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I quite enjoy Immortal as well, but no duds? They've definitely missed with a few of their earlier albums.
----
22.11.2011 - 03:07
Thyroid
Bolt Thrower, Death, Solitude Aeturnus, maybe Opeth.
From prog rock-genre I would say Magma.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
22.11.2011 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 02:32

I quite enjoy Immortal as well, but no duds? They've definitely missed with a few of their earlier albums.

I would say the y missed with their latest one the All Shall Fall album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996