Metal Storm logo
Top 30 Instrumental/Guitar Heroes Albums Of All Time

Welcome to the sphere my friends. I'm talking about albums made by Guitar Heroes, with extreme creativity and skills. As you know, this is not the biggest musical genre because there are many amazing guitar players, but not that much amazing Guitar Heroes albums which deserves a true attention in their wholeness. For the little story of my life, I used to begin listening to metal with Yngwie, Joe and Steve Vai in 2005 or something like that. And when I bought my first electric guitar in 2005, I first started to try Vai's songs while you all know EVERY beginer starts playing with Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers
Anyway, I hope you will enjoy my playlist. These albums are great to me, and it's always a pleasure to listen to them so many years after. I admit that GH albums are not my first preocupation today (if you take a look to my other lists, you will see), but this is the source of my passion, and each time I discover a good piece of them I bring it here, when I think about it. Enjoy

Created by: Korah | 18.09.2011

1. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
1984 - Best song(s) : All
2. Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony
1987 - Best song(s) : Speed Metal Symphony/The Ninja/Concerto
3. Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase
2008 - Best song(s) : Jato Unit/Miles of Machines/Devil Theory
4. Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
1987 - Best song(s) : Surfing With The Alien/Crushing Day/Ice 9
5. Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
1988 - Best song(s) : Altitudes/Perpetual Burn/Temple Of The Absurd
6. John 5 - The Devil Knows My Name
2007 - Best song(s) : The Washing Away Of Wrong/The Werewolf Of Westeria/Black Widow Of La Porte
7. Animals As Leaders - The Madness Of Many
2016 - Best song(s) : Ectogenesis/Arithmophobia
8. Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss
1988 - Best song(s) : Forbidden City/Saturation Point
9. Jeff Loomis - Plains Of Oblivion
2012 - Best song(s) : The Ultimatum/Mercurial
10. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet
1998 - Best song(s) : Crystal Planet /Secret Prayer
11. Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out
1985 - Best song(s) : Disciples Of Hell/I am a Viking
12. John 5 - Requiem
2008 - Best song(s) : Scavenger's Daughter/Heretic's Fork
13. Conquering Dystopia - Conquering Dystopia
2014 - Best song(s) : Tethys/Ashes Of Lesser Men
14. Blotted Science - The Machinations Of Dementia
2007 - Best song(s) : Laser Lobotomy/Synaptic Plasticity/Activation Synthesis Theory
15. John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
2005 - Best song(s) : Damage Control/Jaws Of Life
16. Steve Vai - Passion And Warfare
1990 - Best song(s) : For The Love Of God/The Animal/Erotic Nightmares
17. Pomegranate Tiger - Boundless
2015 - Best song(s) : The Masked Ball/Boundless
18. Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders
2009 - Best song(s) : CAFO/Inamorata
19. Christian Muenzner - Timewarp
2011 - Best song(s) : Maybe Tomorrow/Confusion
20. Paul Wardingham - Assimilate Regenerate
2011 - Best song(s) : Assimilate Regenerate/Futureshock
21. Yngwie Malmsteen - Odyssey
1988 - Best song(s) : Krakatau/Rising Force
22. Denis Vlachiotis - Imperishable Ferocity
2007 - Best song(s) : Imperishable Ferocity/Showers Of Absolution
23. Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets
1995 - Best song(s) : Tender Surrender/Bad Horsie
24. Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security
1987 - Best song(s) : Tears Of Sahara/Autumn Lords
25. Chimp Spanner - At The Dream's Edge
2009 - Best song(s) : The Mirror/Far From Home
26. Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
1987 - Best song(s) : Saved By A Miracle/N.N.Y
27. Joe Stump - Supersonic Shred Machine
1996 - Best song(s) : Demon's Eye/Wrecking Machine
28. Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene
2005 - Best song(s) : Soothsayer (Dedicated to Aunt Suzie)/Mad Monster Party
29. Tony MacAlpine - Edge Of Insanity
1986 - Best song(s) : Wheel of Fortune/The Taker
30. Michael Angelo Batio - No Boundaries
1995 - Best song(s) : No Boundaries/Speed Kills
31. Buckethead - Giant Robot
1994 - Best song(s) : Aquabot/Binge and Grab
32. Cacophony - Go Off!
1988 - Best song(s) : Black Cat/Images
33. Keith Merrow - Awaken The Stone King
2011 - Best song(s) : Heart Of The Sea Nymph/Stone King (The Awakening Pt. 2)
34. Impellitteri - Screaming Symphony
1996 - Best song(s) : 17th Century Chicken Pickin'

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Korah ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 15   Visited by: 275 users
21.11.2011 - 22:26
JCJen7

Wait a minute....thats only 22! good list though
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
07.02.2012 - 07:33
SeanMcStomper

Aside from the fact that both Yngwie Malmsteen's and Cacophony's albums weren't instrumental (sadly, in the case of Cacopohony...imo) I like your list. I ignore the order though. I shall now listen to John 5.

Btw...you may want to add some album by Jarle H. Olsen. Joey Tafolla's Out Of The Sun, Christian Muenzner's Timewarp are others to consider.
07.02.2012 - 08:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Definitely should look into Christian Muenzner's Timewarp like Sean said. I would also highly recommend Keith Merrow, Blotted Science and Denis Vlachiotis too.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.04.2012 - 11:48
Kamil
Account deleted
Nice list, but many of those albums in fact aren't instrumental.
By instrumental music I understand only stuff without any vocal parts.

@ psykome?al?: agree with you Vlachiotis is awesome, but unfortunately after 5 years we still don't have anything new from this guy.
01.06.2012 - 00:52
neiluria

You can add jeff loomis "Plains Of Oblivion" in the top 10
Great list !
26.06.2012 - 21:12
Windir

Great list! I would add:
David Valdes - Imhotep
Constantine - Shredcore
Vinnie Moore - The maze
Tony MacAlpine - Premonition / Maximum security
Spastic Ink - Ink complete
26.06.2012 - 21:17
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I add Marco Sfogli to this list
10.03.2013 - 16:50
SRV

Great list man and that list is good for beginners thank you
27.04.2016 - 06:34
lte1

There are good options here and there but to exclude LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT is simply unforgivable!
27.04.2016 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I am missing Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss

EDIT: It is there. Ignore my comment.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2016 - 02:35
Diverge

You should consider the band Special Providence. Excellent instrumental prog metal!
29.04.2016 - 07:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Cool idea, and good list so far. BUT it seems to be highly slanted towards instrumental prog albums more than anything else. Perhaps that's your favorite subgenre of metal, which is perfectly ok, but I personally think this list would have a lot more going for it if you expanded it significantly, to consider instrumental doom albums, instrumental black metal albums, etc. etc.

Might I recommend some of my favorites in this department, that you could possibly enjoy as well?

1. Leviathan - A Silhouette In Splinters: A pure dark ambient album, no metal at all! Incredibly cool if you love the more haunting, mysterious side of Wrest's musical personality
2. Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite: A pure ambient album. Very polarizing, it seems to have become pretty "love it or hate it." I'm definitely on the love side
3. Metallic Taste Of Blood - Doctoring The Dead: Could be the best rec for you here, as this is some instrumental prog/Avantgarde. Lots of instrumentation going on here that twists and turns in a vast multitude of directions. Seriously cool shit
4. Fullmoon Bongzai - Noisense: Some batshit brand of industrial, electronically focused metal. Heavily psychedelic as well. Great album to zone out and lose your mind to. VERY crazy, though, not for everybody.
5. Nibiru - Netrayoni: Double album of some really great, ritualistic drone/sludge from Italy. Very meditative shit. I think this one may actually have a bit of vocals on it, but I'm pretty sure they're just audio samples, not the band members themselves

Hope ya find some goodies in there. That's all I can really think of off the top I've my head right now, but I've definitely got more recs than that, so if you'd like any more, just ask
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.05.2016 - 18:09
Korah

Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.04.2016 at 07:14

Cool idea, and good list so far. BUT it seems to be highly slanted towards instrumental prog albums more than anything else. Perhaps that's your favorite subgenre of metal, which is perfectly ok, but I personally think this list would have a lot more going for it if you expanded it significantly, to consider instrumental doom albums, instrumental black metal albums, etc. etc.

Might I recommend some of my favorites in this department, that you could possibly enjoy as well?

1. Leviathan - A Silhouette In Splinters: A pure dark ambient album, no metal at all! Incredibly cool if you love the more haunting, mysterious side of Wrest's musical personality
2. Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite: A pure ambient album. Very polarizing, it seems to have become pretty "love it or hate it." I'm definitely on the love side
3. Metallic Taste Of Blood - Doctoring The Dead: Could be the best rec for you here, as this is some instrumental prog/Avantgarde. Lots of instrumentation going on here that twists and turns in a vast multitude of directions. Seriously cool shit
4. Fullmoon Bongzai - Noisense: Some batshit brand of industrial, electronically focused metal. Heavily psychedelic as well. Great album to zone out and lose your mind to. VERY crazy, though, not for everybody.
5. Nibiru - Netrayoni: Double album of some really great, ritualistic drone/sludge from Italy. Very meditative shit. I think this one may actually have a bit of vocals on it, but I'm pretty sure they're just audio samples, not the band members themselves

Hope ya find some goodies in there. That's all I can really think of off the top I've my head right now, but I've definitely got more recs than that, so if you'd like any more, just ask

(First, sorry for my English man )
Yes indeed, when I began listening Metal and playing guitar, this was one of my favourite style but things has evolved I admit I should have make a description but my list purpose is to rate best solo/duo albums (in majority) including each time "Guitar Heroes". If a decide to include Black/Doom/Drone/..., my first and definitive intention would be erroned. But I had never think about that, so maybe on another list and with more knowledge haha. However I'll check your suggestions. I already heard Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite, and I know Levianthan since their last LP. This is good but very hard to appreciate for its true value. But I'm open on it, thanks for your message
----
Don't cry for my English
08.11.2017 - 09:14
imprudance

The Biggest Base Of Instrumental Metal https://vk.com/topinstrumentalmetal and chanel in Telegram https://t.me/topim
09.03.2018 - 12:14
WeiChi

Where's Kiko ? He should on the list.

Hits total: 29239 | This month: 12