Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
15.09.2006 - 07:46
justice to metal
Account deleted
Well i really dont quite see them as Numetal....i would picture Numetal....like the stuff of now today which is that atreyu,as i lay dying and what not ..if you get what i mean (note:not much into that sort of stuff). SOAD is more like just hard rock with a few little metal riffs and with their own twist to them...and of course i do agree HembRom they do have now alot of repetition but still catchy non the less
19.09.2006 - 05:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
System Of A Down I would probably say are nu metal, but they are different than most nu metal bands. I too think that they do get repetitive quite fast. Serj has a voice unlike any other any he is for sure a very gifted vocalist. Same goes for Daron, he too is quite talented.
19.09.2006 - 23:50
Quardt
Account deleted
they are certanly not nu-metal... they are very hard to put in a genre but som kind of alternative "metal"

but they are ok.. dont really lisent to them
22.09.2006 - 19:04
rebelos
Account deleted
i love this band!

especially their first 2 albums

Serj is an amazing vocalist... i don't really understand why Daron sings more in the Hypnotize/Mezmerize album...
his voice isn't that cool
25.09.2006 - 20:48
Tydirium
Account deleted
System of a Down is one of the greatest bands ever! I do not
like to put them into a certain genre because their music has
many facettes and is complexe... they use elements from di-
verse metal/music genres and are influenced by many other
styles...

But to say it in a nutshell: i love them!
26.09.2006 - 03:18
heresiarch
Forever Dead
These guys are amazing
I really want to see them on stage

Perhaps most versatile album is Mesmerize
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
26.09.2006 - 18:17
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by heresiarch on 26.09.2006 at 03:18

These guys are amazing
I really want to see them on stage

Perhaps most versatile album is Mesmerize

Mesmerize is very versatile of course, but their older
stuff is more traditional and rips their new stuff easily...
Toxicity and the first SOAD are god albums!
27.09.2006 - 00:59
spirit_inblack
harshhead
@Tydirium Very, very true. The old stuff is way better than this new stuff, although I do like it at times more than the old stuff. My favorite song has to be Aerials, Chop Suey, Prison Song, or Toxicity. What's your favorite?
28.09.2006 - 08:02
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I hadn't listened to SOAD in ages, but I gree that Toxicity is an awesome album... it has a lot of strength, yet a painful ambience in some songs. Variety also counts.
03.10.2006 - 23:21
Remus
I don't think they'r going to perform any time soon. I heard they were taking a break. Daron has a new band "Scars on Broadway" and Shavo is doing a collaboration wit some guy. John is starting a comic book business??? Anyway, they said they werent going to break up, just take a break... Hope they come back soon! Wit an album more like da self-titled one!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
05.10.2006 - 21:22
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Remus on 03.10.2006 at 23:21

I don't think they'r going to perform any time soon. I heard they were taking a break. Daron has a new band "Scars on Broadway" and Shavo is doing a collaboration wit some guy. John is starting a comic book business??? Anyway, they said they werent going to break up, just take a break... Hope they come back soon! Wit an album more like da self-titled one!

You're right about these things.

In May of 2006, the band announced they were going on hiatus. Daron Malakian has confirmed the break will probably last a few years, but insists that the band is not splitting up. He told MTV, "We're not breaking up. If that was the case, we wouldn't be doing this Ozzfest. We're going to take a very long break after Ozzfest and do our own things. We've done System for over ten years, and I think it's healthy for us to get away from it for a while and come back to it later on. So, this is probably going to be... well, it's not a farewell tour, but it's going to be a little while before we go out again." He adds, "I'll always be a member of System of a Down. That will never change. There isn't a rule that says you have to make records constantly, like clockwork, to continue being who you are." Malakian claims that he needs a break from the band because he wants to live his life more. He has written the majority of the music for the band for ten straight years.

During the hiatus, Malakian will be in a band called Scars on Broadway, and will have its debut album out in fall. Odadjian might also be participating in the project. Tankian plans to keep recording as a solo artist in "Serjical Strike", while Dolmayan plans to open a comic book store online, which should be up online in November 2007
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.10.2006 - 14:18
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I liked their older stuff, but I'm not too fond fo their later ones, especially as Daron Malakian has been given a bigger role, I think Serj is bigger than SOAD, though the drummer is really awesome too.
11.11.2006 - 16:20
Lorien
Account deleted
They are great, my fav album is Toxicity.
They are really unique, tho I dont really get how that guy can sing so fast!!!
I tried but it's just... imposible!
12.11.2006 - 04:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Probably the only Nu Metal Band I listen to, while they are simplistic, they are also very talented and unique.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.11.2006 - 16:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
I really don't like this band. I think their music is ridicuolus, boring and overestimated. Absolutely nothing for me
----
06.12.2006 - 00:35
angel
Account deleted
i do not like SOAD .no i do hate them..they are so embarrissing and it do not like their music. i always try to tell my brother that this band is disgusting.he still likes although he listens to very good music besides
06.12.2006 - 18:41
Basso
Account deleted
What is it that is embarassing with SOAD? I find their songs catchy and funny, great songs to just have fun with
06.12.2006 - 21:46
angel
Account deleted
i think the songs are stupid. they are to hectic to me and every song has got the same sudden ending
11.12.2006 - 17:56
Strid
Account deleted
SOAD are......interesting. I find I like the same amount of their older and newer stuff....I think they're cool...funny sometimes, and generally worth listening to. For me, theyre a band I listen to off and on, months go by without me even touching them, and then suddenly there'll be a two-week stretch when they completely dominate my playlist.
12.12.2006 - 17:17
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.12.2006 at 21:46

i think the songs are stupid. they are to hectic to me and every song has got the same sudden ending

and u are talking about what songs?
13.12.2006 - 18:05
angel
Account deleted
mezmerize and hypnotize..both..just except for 4 songs or sth
14.12.2006 - 04:33
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Just a few weeks ago I started to listen to their self-titled. WoW. The song Sugar has one of the best vocal performances ever by any band and I love to play this song with my band. It's a super easy song, great for beginners, but you better have a good vocalist. Serj is so amazing at the end.
26.01.2007 - 13:45
Larsson!
Account deleted
They used to be my favorite band actually. But after the latest two albums I have stopped listening to them.. The first albums are great! but the latest two are not that good. have seen them live once as well and I was surprised to see that they were pretty good live, I didn't think that they were going to be that good live..
17.02.2007 - 20:56
Torelli
I'm somewhat twisted to this band. Sometime I find it a really good, somtimes even fantastic band, other days it just gives me a headache. I agree with Larsson with this one, the earlier albums is better, but the two recent onces aren't that bad either.
19.02.2007 - 07:33
Asat0r
I can only get into the first two albums, and some songs off of "Steal this Album." I still listen to the first two albums pretty regularly. My main attraction to them is they sound different to most other bands, if you say they sound identical to Korn or Slipknot, apparently you've never listened to any of these bands.
19.02.2007 - 07:45
ZeroSignal
Account deleted
Toxcity's an excellent album, best one by System of a Down. Self-titled was pretty good as well.
21.02.2007 - 03:11
Salmaneser
Account deleted
Written by Asat0r on 19.02.2007 at 07:33

I can only get into the first two albums, and some songs off of "Steal this Album." I still listen to the first two albums pretty regularly. My main attraction to them is they sound different to most other bands, if you say they sound identical to Korn or Slipknot, apparently you've never listened to any of these bands.

I agree on that last thing. You can't compare Korn to SOAD. They have a very different sound.
I like all the SOAD albums, unlike most fans, who can't get into the last 2, Mesmerize and Hypnotize. I reckon they are different than the first 3, but I like them aswell. According to me, there has been put more feeling in those songs.
04.03.2007 - 02:39
Bankler
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2006 at 23:50

they are certanly not nu-metal... they are very hard to put in a genre but som kind of alternative "metal"

but they are ok.. dont really lisent to them

I´m whit you on that one. They are not Nu metal at all.
04.03.2007 - 02:51
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Guest on 21.02.2007 at 03:11

Written by Asat0r on 19.02.2007 at 07:33

I agree on that last thing. You can't compare Korn to SOAD. They have a very different sound.
I like all the SOAD albums, unlike most fans, who can't get into the last 2, Mesmerize and Hypnotize. I reckon they are different than the first 3, but I like them aswell. According to me, there has been put more feeling in those songs.

First: be welcome to MS author=21320.
Totally agree with you I am also a System of a Down fan myself, and I enjoy all albuns. Mesmerize imo is the "less good" album from them, but, Hypnotize is a excellent album ! Songs like Attack, Dreaming or Tentative are great, more brutal and fast and can remind of Toxicity I guess.

Btw, I also have the same opinion as you dudes have that SoaD cannot be compared do Slipknot or Korn or ANY other nu-metal band !

If someone knows a nu-metal band similar to SoaD please tell it here k?

Btw, I saw some comments of people who want to see them live.. well, if they ever come to your country DONT DARE TO LOSE IT !
Best concert in my life so far
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
05.04.2007 - 01:46
Olli
System of a down are a unique band, they got me into metal. The vocals are amazing on some songs, but crap on others.. Mezmerize was a letdown for me but i like all the other albums. I havent listened to them for a long time, but i saw this thread and decided to give tem another listen. I was bored of them but now i like em again
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."