Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
07.04.2007 - 18:34
Bankler
Account deleted
They are not Nu. I respect them.
20.05.2007 - 01:52
I won't comment on whether they are nu-metal or not, although I would consider them one of the better mainstream bands right now.
The self-titled album and Toxicity are solid. I also enjoyed Mezmerize, although what is the singer's deal with Hollywood? He goes on the whole album about that place.
As for the vocals, sometimes I can appreciate them, and other times, they are obnoxious...so I certainly have to be in the mood for System of a Down.
I also own Hypnotize, and would believe it to be a steaming pile of shit. Quite possibly, one of the worst albums ever.
20.05.2007 - 17:41
Artemis
Account deleted
SOAD got me into metal... But Mermerize... I don't like that album, i respect the older albums, like Toxicity, it is my fav. About their genre, i can't say, but surely they are unique, at least they were.... I have read their interview 2 or 3 years ago and someone of the band said ( i can't remember who... ) that they will know like about 10 years after what kind of music they make. In some songs i just can't stand the vocal, but in the most of their songs is ok. Despite their mainstream orientation now, still they are not like the rest of the bands which are mainstream.
14.06.2007 - 18:37
flasko
Account deleted
SOAD are one of the best metal bands indeed, though they're not "only" metal.
Some of their songs are easily more metal than lots of power bands and "sad metal" bands from north europe (sorry, I don't know how better to call them:)).

So, I'm quite disappointed that SOAD are marked as "inactive" here on metalstorm, and that they were added more for an accident (erticle/interview) than for a choice.
25.06.2007 - 17:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Sad metal from North Europe? Do you mean Black Metal with that?

By the way, if you want that visible, go and add the required information.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2007 - 00:18
Remus
They may as well be inactive as the band split up for an unknown period of time.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
26.06.2007 - 01:51
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Creative band, and yet unic, but its definally not my kind of music. It lacks complexity and skills by the musicians. But hey, lots of people like them lol
----
12.07.2007 - 01:31
Cassandra
Account deleted
their first release was not bad, i listen to it occasionally. but god, that song BYOB... ugh i think its one of the worst songs ever written.
20.07.2007 - 14:45
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Billboard.com reports: System Of A Down frontman Serj Tankian steps center stage this fall with a new solo album, "Elect the Dead," due Oct. 23 via Serjical Strike/Warner Bros. The 12-track set features contributions from SOAD drummer John Dolmayan and former PRIMUS stickman Bryan "Brain" Mantia, along with guitarist/bassist Dan Monti, opera singer Ani Maldjian and some string players.

The album is ripe with outrage both political and personal, including references to "bodies burning" on the shred-fest "Empty Walls" and how "antidepressants make life more tolerable" on "The Unthinking Majority." Tankian later declares, "We are the cause of a world that's gone wrong" on the eerie "Honking Antelope."

Other tracks previewed by Billboard.com blend the stop-on-a-dime rhythmic changes of SYSTEM OF A DOWN with acoustic guitar strumming and Eastern European-tinged melodies, often in the course of one song.

"Saving Us" begins softly before exploding into a heavy, impassioned chorus and later, a double-time beat and a detuned guitar riff, while "Lie Lie Lie" matches its lyrical themes of incest and murder with appropriately ominous music.

"There's romantic songs, love songs, pain songs? a gamut of what I was feeling in the last year-and-a-half," Tankian told Billboard.com in April. "The whole album is this deep, human pain that kind of is looking for redemption."

Here is the track list for Elect the Dead:

1. Empty Walls
2. The Unthinking Majority
3. Money
4. Feed Us
5. Saving Us
6. Sky Is Over
7. Baby
8. Honking Antelope
9. Lie Lie Lie
10. Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition
11. Beethoven's C*nt
12. Elect the Dead

(Original source SMNnews)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.07.2007 - 15:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
As long as the music is good, the themes are forgiven..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.07.2007 - 19:20
selken
Irreligious
Yep, they are not Nu metal, they are alternative metal.
I respect them a lot, although I don't like so much Steal this album the other ones are good.
----
10.08.2007 - 12:22
Inlé
Written by Thryce on 20.07.2007 at 14:45
"There's romantic songs, love songs, pain songs? a gamut of what I was feeling in the last year-and-a-half,"

Oh dear :s

I might have tried this otherwise too, haha.
17.09.2007 - 00:43
?Master?
Account deleted
i like all the albums by SOAD
theyre a good talented band
i respect them for sures
n theyre not new at all
17.09.2007 - 20:33
Olli
System of a down are on hiatus atm, but I hope they get back together again. But Serj Tankiens Solo album is pretty damn good from what I've heard, "Empty Walls" is similar to system of a down but better in my opinion.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
17.09.2007 - 22:30
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by Olli on 17.09.2007 at 20:33

System of a down are on hiatus atm, but I hope they get back together again. But Serj Tankiens Solo album is pretty damn good from what I've heard, "Empty Walls" is similar to system of a down but better in my opinion.

yeah i think so too. Video is awesome also, I didn't really like "The unthinking majority" that much though...
30.09.2007 - 20:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
As you might know, Daron and John've formed a new band this summer called Scars On Broadway. Well, atm they're busy recording an album. John posted a blog with the following update:

"Yesterday, Daron and I begin recording Scars On Broadway's debut album. We've gone in with close to 18 songs. The music is expansive, experimental, and sometimes in-your-face? We're very excited to get it down and get it out to all of you. We'll have some more updates as we move deeper into the recording, but until then, stay posted and prepared to get scarred for life!!!"

(Source: http://www.myspace.com/scarsonbroadway)

Looking forward to that album. I'm really curious how it'll sound...

And I guess it's quite unlickely there will be a SOAD "reunion" tour (that I've been hoping for) in the near future. Too bad.
----
17.10.2007 - 17:42
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
You can stream Serj Tankian's upcoming new solo album "Elect The Dead", in its entirety online here. The album is set to be released on October 23rd.
----
17.10.2007 - 19:11
Lord TJ
I don't understand, what is left on this profile for SOAD to make it active?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
18.10.2007 - 05:31
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Lord TJ on 17.10.2007 at 19:11
True metal. That is all.
While we're on the topic though, staff, how about adding "S.O.A.D." to the also known as line? [2008: I take back this request]
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
18.10.2007 - 18:00
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 17.10.2007 at 19:11

We agreed that some bands, even though their profile is (quasi) complete, they should not be added because we don't see them as metal enough and so those profiles aren't flawless (this also means Nu, Metalcore and NSBM bands).
Examples of bands who aren't visible and never will be next to System Of A Down are Slipknot, Kittie, Godsmack, As I Lay Dying to name only a few.
Written by Syk on 18.10.2007 at 05:31

While we're on the topic though, staff, how about adding "S.O.A.D." to the also known as line?

"SOAD" is already there.
----
18.10.2007 - 21:21
Lord TJ
Seems to defeat the purpose to have a profile on the site but keep them inactive IMO. Including the fact that some Hard-Rock bands are active.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
03.12.2007 - 23:42
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Professionally filmed video footage of System Of A Down frontman Serj Tankian performing at the House of Blues in Las Vegas on October 25, 2005 can be viewed below.

| Unthinking Majority | Sky Is Over | Empty Walls | Lie Lie Lie | Bonus (interview) |

Actually, I find his solo album quite good. A very nice listen! Also a recommendation for the weekday SOAD fan. It's maybe not that "crazy" but still quite heavy and funky! And I think most of you are going to like it.

More opinions about Serj Tankian going solo and "Elect The Dead"?
----
04.12.2007 - 08:51
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I really like the creativity shown in his videos, I think they're great, and the songs themselves are decent but I'm not too interested in listening to the whole album. http://www.serjtankian.com
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.12.2007 - 13:41
Smurfophagist
SOAD is the band that pretty much got me into listening metal... I used worship this band, but now, when I look back, Mesmerize and Hypnotize are nothing compared to Toxicity. Toxicity is still one of my favorite albums.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
04.12.2007 - 17:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just watched the video for 'Empty Walls' on Serj's website...the song is good and the video is even better with very clear references to the war in Iraq and 9/11.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
28.02.2008 - 20:33
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
There are rumours that they split up for good, are they real?
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
29.02.2008 - 09:57
NOИ
nope, they are just doing solo projects. I like SoaD very much but I don't like Serj Tankian's album, I think it is like a poor SoaD version. I prefer all members together and I'm waiting for the new album, even if they're going to release it in 2010 maybe, lol.
29.02.2008 - 12:25
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by NOИ on 29.02.2008 at 09:57

nope, they are just doing solo projects. I like SoaD very much but I don't like Serj Tankian's album, I think it is like a poor SoaD version. I prefer all members together and I'm waiting for the new album, even if they're going to release it in 2010 maybe, lol.

I disagree. I'm a fan of SoaD and I really thought that the newest solo Serj's work is similar to original musics from back when they were together. I don't "love" his new work, but i enjoy listening to it, and its a great fact that he did it all itself! Singed it, played it, edit it, produce it..

Anyway i'm also waiting for their new album together ^^
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
01.03.2008 - 10:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by NOИ on 29.02.2008 at 09:57

Ye sit is pure coppy ot maybe Soad are coppy of Serj? same music, same type of lyrics, same type of vocals and even singing seems its like in 80ties glam bands opening song was HEAVY and secend wa spower ballad
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2008 - 23:54
Remus
Written by SlaytallicA on 28.02.2008 at 20:33

There are rumours that they split up for good, are they real?

I don't know, i heard on the radio the other day that they are about to record a new album... 'Not sure if the source was reliable though...
----
Procrastinate, NOW!