Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
16.03.2008 - 21:43
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Remus on 01.03.2008 at 23:54

Written by SlaytallicA on 28.02.2008 at 20:33

There are rumours that they split up for good, are they real?

I don't know, i heard on the radio the other day that they are about to record a new album... 'Not sure if the source was reliable though...

Honestly, until now I haven't heard anything about that...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
18.03.2008 - 18:50
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by SlaytallicA on 16.03.2008 at 21:43

From Blabbermouth: [Link].

Think about it what you want.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
19.03.2008 - 01:33
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Thryce on 18.03.2008 at 18:50

Written by SlaytallicA on 16.03.2008 at 21:43

From Blabbermouth: [Link].

Think about it what you want.

Thks mate!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
29.03.2008 - 17:37
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
New song "They Say" online from SCARS ON BROADWAY!!

http://scarsonbroadway.com
http://www.myspace.com/scarsonbroadway

Scars On Broadway is the new project of SOAD guitarist/vocalst Daron Malakian. Also SOAD drummer John Dolmayan plays in the band.
----
29.03.2008 - 23:08
metal666
Account deleted
ive heard roumors that a new record comes out around autum...but im not shure tho.
not that updated on system of a down;)
29.06.2008 - 14:21
Freak
that is a first band that i listen from metal music... I like them very very much.. and i'm very sad that them take a break...
02.07.2008 - 14:15
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Well, Serj said that they take a break and that he have a lot of songs 4 a new album but they not gonna record it so soon.
All we can do now is listening SOAD's old albums until they record new.
But I'm not complaining at all.
04.07.2008 - 16:42
deutraulic
Account deleted
11.07.2008 - 09:19
MortalTheory
Account deleted
i hope those rumors of a new SOAD album are true man...
12.07.2008 - 14:55
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Well, don't blame me if isn't.
Serj gonna be the true liar than.
17.07.2008 - 00:11
Tórnach
Account deleted
It got me into metal, but since finding epic things like Eluveitie and Wintersun and stuff, I just haven't had time to listen to SoaD. Don't like em too much any more.
29.07.2008 - 23:13
armageddon
I started listening to metal with this band too.
btw i think they have disbanded...
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"
22.08.2008 - 21:48
LethargyMan
I finally got around to listening to that Scars on Broadway album. I pretty much gave it the same response to Serj's solo album: "Ehh... it's all right, I guess". It really is nothing particularly special. It's a bit more rock based than Serj's album, but it also managed to be more repetitive in its lyrics (somehow).

All that it does is make me long for a SoaD reunion.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
25.10.2008 - 00:07
Khaldi
The great band collapsed (( but in place it we have such shit as scars on broadway
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
04.11.2008 - 22:22
benvolent
Really liked their first three albums, but despite great expectations I couldn't find my way into mezmerize. So I didnt pay so much attention to them, as IMO they've lost lots of their power and ability to surprise. Got a bit repetitive on mezmerize.
Written by Guest on 02.07.2008 at 14:15

Well, Serj said that they take a break and that he have a lot of songs 4 a new album but they not gonna record it so soon.

And: if the singer starts his own career and means, that there are some songs left, which he doesn't need for his own project, there seems to be something wrong..
So for me listening to the older albums is the better to keep their memory honorable...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
06.11.2008 - 01:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
If there are songs left which Serj doesn't need for his project then they're obviously going to be on the next SOAD release when they're done with their break...I don't see the "break" lasting too long really...
06.11.2008 - 09:07
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Ugh just got guitar hero world tour-- BYOB so annoying and pretty difficult lol!!

but good band otherwise!
06.11.2008 - 10:59
benvolent
Written by Guest on 06.11.2008 at 01:45

If there are songs left which Serj doesn't need for his project then they're obviously going to be on the next SOAD release when they're done with their break...I don't see the "break" lasting too long really...

And you really want to listen to songs, which he's got left?! For me that sounds like "I got some pennies left..."
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
07.11.2008 - 00:19
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.11.2008 at 01:45

In a recent interview with RollingStone.com, Serj Tankian revealed that there are currently no plans for him to reunite with his System Of A Down bandmates and work on new music.
----
07.11.2008 - 01:51
Khaldi
They although Armenian band but all the same currently i can't listen their . soad second metal band which I became to listen after rammstain . all this started for me because of this two bands . but now i more and more deepened in black metal genre and bands such as like soad don't interesting me more
----
11.11.2008 - 21:18
Dreadlord
Account deleted
I think their best song is chop suey....because the way he screams is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02.01.2009 - 02:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Toxicity and Steal this Album! are good albums. but everything after that is too over the top political for my liking.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.01.2009 - 04:19
Memory King
Honestly I think that Serj's vocals have changed too much to work for future SOAD albums.

Just compare his performances from the Elect The Dead tour with BDO 2002.

First post BTW!
08.01.2009 - 05:45
Khaldi
Someone has heard that the vocalist of group Serj Tankyan plans To represent Armenia at annual festival
the Eurovision 2009 ?? damn (( in this case I shall be thrown out from a window
----
22.01.2009 - 13:22
გურ
Account deleted
Written by Khaldi on 08.01.2009 at 05:45

Someone has heard that the vocalist of group Serj Tankyan plans To represent Armenia at annual festival

Really? Eurovision Isn't becoming I think..
Teraesbetoni's performance Was Cool But they didn't get enough ponits.
22.01.2009 - 13:24
გურ
Account deleted
In Armenia We Trust
22.01.2009 - 17:56
Khaldi
Written by Guest on 22.01.2009 at 13:22

Written by Khaldi on 08.01.2009 at 05:45

Really? Eurovision Isn't becoming I think..
Teraesbetoni's performance Was Cool But they didn't get enough ponits.

it isn't reliable information .. i'm not sure .. i just hope that this whole only cheap provocation ..
i want to live )) i do not want throw itself from window ( ninth floor )
----
22.01.2009 - 18:12
გურ
Account deleted
Vishapakahr Armenia's previous Singer (I don't remember her name) Was Too Hot.. My country gave yours 12 points.. As I remember..
22.01.2009 - 18:21
Khaldi
I don't know nothing about this stupid festival .. i hate Evrovision i hat pop music and this Pentagram says "Popcular Disari" means pop music listeners get out

----
22.01.2009 - 18:26
გურ
Account deleted
Vishapakahr Ha Ha Ha : )))
I agree with you..