Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
20.02.2007 - 18:31
Angelstorm
Account deleted
I've seen many interviews and programs with Blasphemer on it. I agree that its odd compared to the others but I seriously doubt that he is homosexual lol. Quite a bit of it is habit lol and I really doubt that Mayhem would have much to do with a homosexual member in their squad. They are that kind of band. Besides, he doesn't look all that gay and some of the fights and stuff he gets into seem quite manly lol.
21.02.2007 - 03:58
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I'm sorry to be off-topic in your interesting discussion about Blasphemer's sexuality, but I wanted to say that I'm pretty obsessed with the song put online from the forthcoming album... Mayhem had never dissapointed me (I even think Grand Declaratrion... was a masterpiece), and it seems that after all these years they will continue carrying the banner of black metal.
24.02.2007 - 01:08
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Nervel:

Careful with those words. No prob.

Written by Guest on 20.02.2007 at 18:31

I've seen many interviews and programs with Blasphemer on it. I agree that its odd compared to the others but I seriously doubt that he is homosexual lol. Quite a bit of it is habit lol and I really doubt that Mayhem would have much to do with a homosexual member in their squad. They are that kind of band. Besides, he doesn't look all that gay and some of the fights and stuff he gets into seem quite manly lol.

Perhaps Blasphemer is just demonstrating his self-confidence portrayed in this way that we perceived as mannerism? That could be it. But, has Mayhem expressed some kind of disdain for homosexuals? I know that there is a lot of hate and exploration of the human shadow in their lyrics but I don't know if hatred for homosexuality is caught in all that. Were those fights brutal fights or cat-fights? lol Not all homosexuals are fragile and try to avoid fighting, there could be homosexuals that still can put some pretty good fights I bet.

Written by Guest on 21.02.2007 at 03:58

I'm sorry to be off-topic in your interesting discussion about Blasphemer's sexuality,

Knowledge should always be welcomed. If a question is risen, what to do in this case but to try to find an answer to it? Perhaps this may look as some kind of gossip to you but discussing this matter has all the validity and this information can be very useful in several possible situations.
----
Christless
24.02.2007 - 01:38
Daru Jericho
I normally wouldn't really care to reply to a thread discussing a band member's sexuality but I feel I should elaborate my thoughts on Blasphemer's 'strange behaviour'. I have said documentary as well as seeing other Mayhem interviews and Blasphemer's mannerism's aren't that of a homosexual's at all. My friend and I came to the conclusion that he just looked really shy and lacking in confidence. People who lack in confidence generally seem to look down and hide in the shadows (in a couple of Mayhem photos, I've seen the rest of the band in plain view and Blasphemer sort of shadowed). I think his shyness in those docs are endearing though.

I don't think he's gay. I think I might have even seen him with a wedding ring on before. But let's not call him gay because my friend always compares me to Blasphemer because I'm fairly shy and lacking in self-confidence.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

24.02.2007 - 01:56
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Curious that what you see as shyness I see as self-confidence. In the European Legions DVD you can see Blasphemer being reserved but the interpretation of this by me is not that he is shy about it, but more confident in an attitude of: "I don't have to answer to you" fashion. Look at how he keeps putting up that "make up" (I don't know how to call that powder stuff in English at the moment), in order to make his face look pale, without any problem of being caught in the camera. Look at how he interrupts the guy who was making the interview, when he was making one of his questions, without any hesitation. To me this is no demonstration of shyness.
----
Christless
24.02.2007 - 21:15
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Blasphemer can't be gay lol. He may be quiet and a bit odd but who among the Mayhem guys are not odd in some way or the other. Honestly after watching them live and seeing so much of them in shows I can almost definitely say that he's not gay lol. I've seen a few of his interviews and the language he uses and the image he portrays is definitely not a gay one. Its just an impression that you get cause he's shy and has a habit of pulling his beard while sitting hunched up.. Anyway I would rather consider Maniac to be gay rather than Blasphemer based on mannerisms..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
24.02.2007 - 22:13
Angelstorm
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 24.02.2007 at 01:08

Perhaps Blasphemer is just demonstrating his self-confidence portrayed in this way that we perceived as mannerism? That could be it. But, has Mayhem expressed some kind of disdain for homosexuals? I know that there is a lot of hate and exploration of the human shadow in their lyrics but I don't know if hatred for homosexuality is caught in all that. Were those fights brutal fights or cat-fights? lol Not all homosexuals are fragile and try to avoid fighting, there could be homosexuals that still can put some pretty good fights I bet.

Back in the early 90's when there was a gay guy who was stabbed and stuff by the Emperor drummer, Mayhem were quite supportive of him. Rumours say that Euronymous wanted to outdo this act too so I guess we can safely say that Mayhem were not exactly gay supporters. Well one of the fights I read about was that he hit Maniac and threw him down a stairwell because he was leaving the band but you have a point about the way they fight not really reflecting anything.
25.02.2007 - 04:23
Daru Jericho
Written by Darth Satanious on 24.02.2007 at 01:56

Curious that what you see as shyness I see as self-confidence. In the European Legions DVD you can see Blasphemer being reserved but the interpretation of this by me is not that he is shy about it, but more confident in an attitude of: "I don't have to answer to you" fashion. Look at how he keeps putting up that "make up" (I don't know how to call that powder stuff in English at the moment), in order to make his face look pale, without any problem of being caught in the camera. Look at how he interrupts the guy who was making the interview, when he was making one of his questions, without any hesitation. To me this is no demonstration of shyness.

Well, I haven't seen the European Legions DVD but if you check out the interview of Necrobutcher and him on the Headbanger's Journey documentary (you can find a bit of it on Youtube I believe) you will notice how he gets cut off by Necrobutcher and how he rarely looks up and sits in that anxious looking position. He does however, cut the interviewer out once but only to get the guy to repeat the question.
----

28.02.2007 - 05:05
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Three against one, I'm in disadvantage here.

Written by Himann on 24.02.2007 at 21:15

Blasphemer can't be gay lol. He may be quiet and a bit odd but who among the Mayhem guys are not odd in some way or the other. Honestly after watching them live and seeing so much of them in shows I can almost definitely say that he's not gay lol. I've seen a few of his interviews and the language he uses and the image he portrays is definitely not a gay one. Its just an impression that you get cause he's shy and has a habit of pulling his beard while sitting hunched up.. Anyway I would rather consider Maniac to be gay rather than Blasphemer based on mannerisms..

I concur in your first point; in spite of Blasphemer being homosexual he is definitely not gay. I have seen live performances from Mayhem too and these physical expressions are not shown during his live performance. However, does this mean anything? The aggressiveness of this music can get to transform anyone, anyone that is into it of course. I have seen Metal musicians that are homosexuals and that go to the stage to put aggressiveness to the show. It isn't as if all homosexuals are bound to look fragile at every given time. I think there is more to his physical expressions than these you mentioned here and I can't see them as shyness at all, at least not in all the interviews I have seen featuring Blasphemer, such as in the European Legions one.

Written by Guest on 24.02.2007 at 22:13

Written by Darth Satanious on 24.02.2007 at 01:08

Back in the early 90's when there was a gay guy who was stabbed and stuff by the Emperor drummer, Mayhem were quite supportive of him. Rumours say that Euronymous wanted to outdo this act too so I guess we can safely say that Mayhem were not exactly gay supporters. Well one of the fights I read about was that he hit Maniac and threw him down a stairwell because he was leaving the band but you have a point about the way they fight not really reflecting anything.

The question is: were they supporting Faust because he slain a homosexual or because he was a fellow musician within the Black Metal circle? I never heard of those rumors about Euronymous trying to kill a homosexual, where did you read this? I am curious. But let us play with the idea that this rumor is true. Does Euronymous rejection for homosexual people make the whole band to share this idea? If I am not incorrect, some of Euronymous actions and reactions were not necessarily praised by the rest or the whole band, such as how he treated Dead and how he reacted to Dead's death (look for the Necrobutcher interview provided by Himann in the previous page of this thread for reference). Therefore, it wouldn't be very unlikely that the rest of the musicians in Mayhem did not get to share Euronymous views, in this hypothetical case that is. It is not as if the band will share every single idea or belief.

Additionally, Blasphemer came to Mayhem in 1995, long after the death of Euronymous so Euronymous disdain for homosexuals may not have had any impact in having Blasphemer (if he is homosexuals) joining the band. I ignore if Euronymous was friends of Blasphemer though; but in any case, isn't that information about Euronymous wanting to kill a homosexual a rumor by the moment, right? Perhaps, there is some information that can get to prove this around somewhere but at least I don't know it yet.

Written by Daru Jericho on 25.02.2007 at 04:23

Well, I haven't seen the European Legions DVD but if you check out the interview of Necrobutcher and him on the Headbanger's Journey documentary (you can find a bit of it on Youtube I believe) you will notice how he gets cut off by Necrobutcher and how he rarely looks up and sits in that anxious looking position. He does however, cut the interviewer out once but only to get the guy to repeat the question.

I looked for it at YouTube (I haven't bought the documentary yet) and I saw it. Isn't he just very drunk? lol We will have to also consider that Necrobutcher was making a scene there while being very drunk. I wonder if he was embarrassed by him to some extent. I think that you will have to see the European Legions interview in order to see what I mean better.

By the way, you said that you are being compared to Blasphemer in this that you describe as shyness, right? There are ways to display shyness and there are ways to display shyness. I think that there is a difference in how a man and a woman can get to express themselves physically. Men can get to display shyness, yes, but the way that Blasphemer does is special. Even if it is shyness, I don't display shyness that way and other men I have seen shy don't display shyness this way. It seems curious to me that your shyness, yours and Blasphemer's, are being compared since you are a woman and he is a man. I haven't seen how you express yourself physically so I cannot be certain about this so I can only guess that you, as many women, express yourself with your fragile approach, your way of moving hands and all, that comes to be characteristic of women. Thus, it seems to me that Blasphemer indeed has these mannerisms that what I see as typical women have and that are so related to homosexual behavior. That these mannerisms do not necessarily reflect his sexuality? I know that. I know that mannerisms can be acquired by other factors. I am just trying to see if the factor that makes Blasphemer to behave this way of expressing himself is his sexual orientation.

It is incredible how a single question can develop in this. lol Nevermind, I guess that what we all can do is nothing but speculate.
----
Christless
01.03.2007 - 15:02
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I ripped the Blasphemer Interview from the European Legions DVD and uploaded it at YouTube. Here is the link if you are interested in watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebz2wnZD0qU
----
Christless
03.03.2007 - 04:04
Daru Jericho
Quote:
Written by Daru Jericho on 25.02.2007 at 04:23

I looked for it at YouTube (I haven't bought the documentary yet) and I saw it. Isn't he just very drunk? lol We will have to also consider that Necrobutcher was making a scene there while being very drunk. I wonder if he was embarrassed by him to some extent. I think that you will have to see the European Legions interview in order to see what I mean better.

By the way, you said that you are being compared to Blasphemer in this that you describe as shyness, right? There are ways to display shyness and there are ways to display shyness. I think that there is a difference in how a man and a woman can get to express themselves physically. Men can get to display shyness, yes, but the way that Blasphemer does is special. Even if it is shyness, I don't display shyness that way and other men I have seen shy don't display shyness this way. It seems curious to me that your shyness, yours and Blasphemer's, are being compared since you are a woman and he is a man. I haven't seen how you express yourself physically so I cannot be certain about this so I can only guess that you, as many women, express yourself with your fragile approach, your way of moving hands and all, that comes to be characteristic of women. Thus, it seems to me that Blasphemer indeed has these mannerisms that what I see as typical women have and that are so related to homosexual behavior. That these mannerisms do not necessarily reflect his sexuality? I know that. I know that mannerisms can be acquired by other factors. I am just trying to see if the factor that makes Blasphemer to behave this way of expressing himself is his sexual orientation.

It is incredible how a single question can develop in this. lol Nevermind, I guess that what we all can do is nothing but speculate.

Ha, well, I think it's just Necrobutcher who's drunk Blasphemer looks like he wants to actually answer the questions (like before Necrobutcher cuts him out). Also, later on in the doc it shows more highlights of that interview and Blasphemer gets cut off a couple times more and when the interviewer asks Blasphemer personally if there is anything else he wants to say he says that there isn't (quite assertively though).

Well my shyness is more of an awkward looking shyness, I think. It's certainly not like that of Blasphemers. I think my friend was just drawing on the fact that we both seeemed shy, rather than our different methods of displaying it.

In the interview you posted, I got the impression that Blasphemer seemed quite modest initially and gets more comfortable as he's speaking about something he feels passionately about (hence why he almost cuts the interviewer out). I don't really see it as emphatic self-confidence. Maybe he feels more confortable because he's backstage getting ready for a show and is pumped on adrenalin? Also, notice that he doesn't really make eye contact at the beginning. In the interview with Necrobutcher he's eyes are on the ground for the most part and his hand is obscuring his face (also like in that Norwegian doc with all of Mayhem). This is actually pretty much the same sort of shyness that some guy at my primary school used to display, which is why I took it at a lack of confidence.

Damn, all this about Blasphemer's lack of confidence/sexuality....
----

05.03.2007 - 01:11
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Darth Satanious on 28.02.2007 at 05:05

Three against one, I'm in disadvantage here.

Written by Himann on 24.02.2007 at 21:15

I concur in your first point; in spite of Blasphemer being homosexual he is definitely not gay. I have seen live performances from Mayhem too and these physical expressions are not shown during his live performance. However, does this mean anything? The aggressiveness of this music can get to transform anyone, anyone that is into it of course. I have seen Metal musicians that are homosexuals and that go to the stage to put aggressiveness to the show. It isn't as if all homosexuals are bound to look fragile at every given time. I think there is more to his physical expressions than these you mentioned here and I can't see them as shyness at all, at least not in all the interviews I have seen featuring Blasphemer, such as in the European Legions one.

Obviously you'll be at a disadvantage in a discussion of whether Blasphemer is a homosexual or not lol. I looked at the interview you posted once more but I really dont see why you say that he is homosexual based on that lol. In the begining he is barely concentrating cause he's at work with the pre-corpse paint makeup but I've read and seen quite a few interviews with him and in each of those similar questions are asked and he always seems to enjoy answering those particular ones. As Daru Jericho mentioned I think, he starts warming up just cause of the topic. He just doesn't strike me as homosexual lol.

Anyway I think that one of the major reasons why he can't be is because he is from Mayhem. I've been a Mayhem fan for ages and I know the kind of band they are. I posted in this thread earlier abt a show which Necrobutcher turned up for. I played a bit of bass myself for this and a few of the guys even spoke to Necrobutcher a bit. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would roll around laughing if he heard that Blasphemer was homosexual lol. I think Angelstorm's point has some merit. The fact that he's from Mayhem makes it quite unlikely that he's homosexual.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
09.03.2007 - 02:38
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
I guess I want Euronymous to resurrect from the dead and kick ass again
09.03.2007 - 02:40
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
Who cares if Blasphemer is gay anyway?
09.03.2007 - 14:04
Judas
The Amputator
It makes no difference to any of us whether Blasphemer is gay, unless someone here wants to be his partner of course.

Asides from him being a member of Mayhem, the other fact that makes his homosexuality highly improbable is that he is in Aura Noir as well, who are on Darkthrone's record label. Now, can you see our dear friend Fenriz allowing a gay person to come onto Tyrant Syndicate Productions?

Anyway, back to the music itself, I used to really hate Mayhem, they were my least favourite of the well-known Black Metal bands (asides from maybe Marduk and Gorgoroth), but I'm starting to warm to them more now. I think the curiosity to hear the song entitled 'Chainsaw Gutsfuck' overcame my initial dislike, and now I'd call myself a fan.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
09.03.2007 - 21:58
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
Mayhem was good when Euronymous was alive, after his death Mayhem should have changed the name, because they just fucked up the band's name with their terrible works.. But I will always remember of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, a Black Metal classic! Hail Euronymous!
10.03.2007 - 05:42
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
PRAISE HAIL EURONYMOUS! THE NEW SATAN!
10.03.2007 - 15:42
Anathemani@c
I tried once to listen to an alboum that was dedicated to Euronimus, but I couldn't stand it at all. It wasnt the black I was waiting to listen to and the vocals were so strange... The only Mayhem alboum I ever liked was Chimaira... I had listened it once from a friend of mine, but I still dont have it to listen to it closer...And finally, anything concerning to the sexuality of band members, I think we should not think of that stuff at all. Just think about Rob Halford and rock star Freddie Mercury... Also, I dont think this is a good thread to talk about other really famous gays of pop/rock world scene...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
10.03.2007 - 19:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Anathemani@c.

The album dedicated to Euronymous? You mean De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas? I agree the vocals are very weird, but I advize you to listen to it a couple of times more if you only listened to it once or twice. It might need some time to grow.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.03.2007 - 01:36
Skalden
Account deleted
the vocals are MENT to be weird! its supposed to be this primitive, animalistice vocal work. the sounds of a tormentet, dying animal giving its last howl at the freezing moon hahah!
11.03.2007 - 10:47
Anathemani@c
Written by Lucas on 10.03.2007 at 19:13

@Anathemani@c.

The album dedicated to Euronymous? You mean De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas? I agree the vocals are very weird, but I advize you to listen to it a couple of times more if you only listened to it once or twice. It might need some time to grow.

Yes... I dont know, but I can't stand it...Maybe it needs time to grow, as you said... I l give it a try!
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 11:20
Anathemani@c
Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 01:36

the vocals are MENT to be weird! its supposed to be this primitive, animalistice vocal work. the sounds of a tormentet, dying animal giving its last howl at the freezing moon hahah!

I trully hope your age is like your posts (15)...
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 13:59
Skalden
Account deleted
no, i just got a bit carried away, however, what i said is still accurate about the vocals (and it applies to the intier CD). you have to set your mind into the mentality of the band durrring the time it was made, the philosophy which governed.
Besides, the vocals were realy supposed to be done by Dead, but seeing how he was dead Attila did them... Dead had quite a reputation so Attila had quite a bit to live up to.
11.03.2007 - 15:10
kackbratze
What do you think of the new song "Anti" from "Ordo ab Chao"? Somehow no-one talked about the new song in this thread... I somehow like it. The return of Attila evokes interest in this band again, I only like their early stuff. Anti is interesting, it has atmosphere. It's not stereotypical black metal of the old days, but it's somehow cool, I can't describe it. What do you think?
11.03.2007 - 16:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I think every discusses that in the 'News' thread of that particular song. But I like it, I'll definatly check the new album out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.03.2007 - 18:19
Skalden
Account deleted
I really like it, its a huge step forward from Chimera, espesially vocaly i think. Excluding Dead, Attila is the best vocalist that mayhems had IMO.
The song is alot more chaotic and a rawer production (though still very audibel) which i like
13.03.2007 - 00:36
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I was reading through some of Mayhem's interviews over the years which I've accumulated in my hard and I came accross this statement from Hellhemmer:

Hellhammer: Well, maybe. The Amerricans invented the term blast beats, I have invented something new, it's called - hyper-blast-beats, this is twice as fast.

I'm not sure what he's talking about cause I'm more of a guitar guy really..

This is the URL if you're interested in reading the whole thing: http://www.metalkings.com/mayhem/mayhem-interview-rus.htm

Following is an interview of Euronymous in image format. I dont know or remember where i got it from. Its a bit huge so im crossing my fingers about the resizing and stuff..

http://www.pichoard.com/images/Himannv/02182006081416am4bj.jpg

http://www.pichoard.com/images/Himannv/mayheminterview29ox.jpg

They say its his last interview but im not sure.. Sorry for the huge file size but at least it fits lol..

Edited: to include only in links format as I ran out of free bandwidth for the images..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.03.2007 - 00:56
Basso
Account deleted
Haha great interview. Thanks for sharing it!
13.03.2007 - 01:39
Himann
Orm KrigGud
My pleasure.. Anyway if you notice, most of what he says coincides with what Necrobutcher says in a bit which I posted 3 pages back, specially the bit abt Dead.. Its like a scan of an old newspaper or something.. Euro also says that there were only 500 odd copies sold of the Deathcrush demo.. It all became soo popular only after his death so his death too was very good for the genre and Mayhem (although they aren't so amazing without him)..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.03.2007 - 08:57
Basso
Account deleted
Yes I saw the similarity, I also thought some things was rather strange said, for instance when Eronymous repeats himself several times in the interview saying the same sentence two times. It has to be a print error right?