Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
16.01.2010 - 03:59
Meep
Account deleted
Ah, will never understand why Funeral Doom is in this forum, as opposed to the Extreme one.
16.01.2010 - 04:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Author on 16.01.2010 at 03:59

Ah, will never understand why Funeral Doom is in this forum, as opposed to the Extreme one.

You'd think, but it's a subgenre of Doom Metal, and Doom Metal is considered Melodic Metal here. Doesn't really matter that much we all know Funeral Doom's about as extreme as it gets.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.01.2010 - 06:39
Throne Dweller
Written by Clintagräm on 16.01.2010 at 00:34

Written by Throne Dweller on 15.01.2010 at 06:13

Www.myspace.com/anguineal

I've been dabbling in funeral doom myself, only my result has been a very warped version. I was wondering what you all thought of 'Echo in the Conscious Hollow', first song.

Your song definitely has the attitude and atmosphere of Funeral Doom. I think it would definitely benefit from guitars and I see you have posted that you need some. Both the drumming and the vocals fit well, but it was the synth that really stuck out for me. It sounded really great at times. Very melancholic and I think crushing guitars throughout sections of it would make it a very good Funeral Doom song. However at 20 minutes is seemed a little bulky and I didn't feel like it was heading in any really direction with a powerful climax (I'm thinking Esoteric's "Circle" here). Sounds good. Update us when you can.

I guess that would make perfect sense, the lack of direction part. That's how I feel per general in life, and generally my music imitates how I feel. Esoteric's Circle is also possibly one of my largest influences so it also makes sense to that part.
19.01.2010 - 05:57
Richard
Elite

I've been dabbling in funeral doom myself, only my result has been a very warped version. I was wondering what you all thought of 'Echo in the Conscious Hollow', first song.

I think Clint W. has already summed it up well. This has an effective bleak feel, and shows a lot of promise. With the addition of guitars, maybe a shorter running time and stuff, this could be something pretty damn good.

The fact that you're just 16 is quite surprising - without wishing to sound patronising, (as age is just a number in some ways), it's refreshing to hear someone so young making music of this nature, and with such potential.

BTW, the Promotion and Ads forum is really a better place to promote your own band.
----
20.01.2010 - 04:32
Throne Dweller
Written by Richard on 19.01.2010 at 05:57

I think Clint W. has already summed it up well. This has an effective bleak feel, and shows a lot of promise. With the addition of guitars, maybe a shorter running time and stuff, this could be something pretty damn good.

The fact that you're just 16 is quite surprising - without wishing to sound patronising, (as age is just a number in some ways), it's refreshing to hear someone so young making music of this nature, and with such potential.

BTW, the Promotion and Ads forum is really a better place to promote your own band.

Well there's a difference between wanting to promote it, and get genuine criticism. The Promotion forum is also pretty pathetic, just so you know.

But thank you for the praise, I actually have a guitarist working on adding some sustained strums and such to it. It makes it more worth it to know that I'm not just making music that I like, but that others can enjoy too.

Some indie labels have contacted me, and it looks like I may be releasing an EP with a few more recorded songs in the short future.
Cheers.
20.01.2010 - 05:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Throne Dweller on 20.01.2010 at 04:32

Well there's a difference between wanting to promote it, and get genuine criticism. The Promotion forum is also pretty pathetic, just so you know.

Regardless, that's what the Promotion Forum is for. Maybe you can improve it by making a topic there.

In other news, has anyone heard of The Wreck of the Hesperus? They take their name from a poem about the sea and everything bad that happens there. I've only heard a little from their myspace sounds pretty good and dirty. Perhaps a rival Nautical Doom band for Ahab?
----
20.01.2010 - 08:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Clintagräm on 20.01.2010 at 05:28

In other news, has anyone heard of The Wreck of the Hesperus? They take their name from a poem about the sea and everything bad that happens there. I've only heard a little from their myspace sounds pretty good and dirty. Perhaps a rival Nautical Doom band for Ahab?

While others might really dig them, i think they are ok. marcel hooked me up with a copy of "The Sunken Threshold" and i had checked out their "Eulogy for Sewers" ep, it hasn't moved me like a lot of the other doom pointers i have received from him, lucas, and others. i kinda dig the dirty/loose "jam" factor, i suppose. it reminds me of a very bleak Sleep (think Holy Mountain) with horrific vocals.

i won't call them a rival of Ahab... of course that is because Ahab, despite only two releases, is one of my favorite metal bands... so i might be a tad biased here.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.01.2010 - 12:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'm with BitterCOld on this one. Wreck Of The Hesperus have an interesting style and concept, but somewhere along the road it goes wrong with them and they fail to deliver. On "The Sunken Threshold", anyway. They're ok, but I don't like them as much as you'd expect.

Still, I fully support any Funeral/Extreme Doom band that wants to take the nautical path.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.05.2010 - 09:50
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
http://www.myspace.com/theemptyeye

Not sure if anyone is interested, but just a recommendation. Of Darkness play a pretty typical slow, heavy and haunting Funeral Doom. Nothing mind blowing but pretty good for a dark and stormy night.
----
14.05.2010 - 20:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Tyranny's Tides Of Awakening (65 minute album sped up to fit within 8 minutes..

Pretty cool. In fact, it sounds pretty good. If it would've been replayed like this (because speeding up damags some of the sounds) it'd make for quite a cool obscure Death metallish song.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.05.2010 - 21:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 14.05.2010 at 20:25

Pretty cool. In fact, it sounds pretty good. If it would've been replayed like this (because speeding up damags some of the sounds) it'd make for quite a cool obscure Death metallish song.

Weird.

Maybe it's the next progression in doom: sped up funeral/drone doom.

Reminds a little of Runes of Dianceht, with the wobbly synth sounds.
15.05.2010 - 06:37
Throne Dweller
Written by Author on 14.05.2010 at 21:29

Written by Lucas on 14.05.2010 at 20:25

Weird.

Maybe it's the next progression in doom: sped up funeral/drone doom.

Reminds a little of Runes of Dianceht, with the wobbly synth sounds.

It sounds very mechanic; like the sound industrial is supposed to evoke.

An entire album into 8 minutes though, that's insane.
27.06.2010 - 16:19
Stigmatized
Does anyone know Autumnia from Urkaine? They caught my attention with their song "By The Candles Obsequial" on Last.fm radio. You can get some mp3's here
28.06.2010 - 01:40
Vndergrovnd
Funeral doom bores me, yet funeral black is interesting. Freezes me to the core.
28.06.2010 - 07:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Vndergrovnd on 28.06.2010 at 01:40

Funeral doom bores me, yet funeral black is interesting. Freezes me to the core.

What Funeral Doom bands have you listened to? What Funeral "Black" bands do you enjoy? A lot of the times I think it may just be the titles that lead people astray.
----
28.06.2010 - 15:58
Got Mayhem?
Ahab
Tyranny
Wormphlegm
Worship
Thergothon

5 easy bands to get started on Vnergrovnd! Though these are definitely not the only ones worth listening to.
----
04.07.2010 - 13:08
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Fungiod Stream released a new album, Oceanus, six years after their first album. Listening to it at the moment, sounds pretty good.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
04.07.2010 - 16:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Prugor on 04.07.2010 at 13:08

Fungiod Stream released a new album, Oceanus, six years after their first album. Listening to it at the moment, sounds pretty good.

BitterCOld wrote a review of it for Metal Storm.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.07.2010 - 08:53
the stranger
Anybody has any news about Somnium Mortuum? It's been 6 years since the release of Eternal Sleep. If the guy is still active he should've released something new time ago.
20.07.2010 - 23:53
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Has anyone heard Mistress of the Dead?
22.07.2010 - 19:31
HugeTheConqeror
I highly recommend a Russian Band called Abstract Spirit. Their second album, "Tragedy And Weeds," was released in 2009, and is very depairing, yet also musical. I wrote a review for it in The Metal Observer, and described it as being like a dirge from a public funeral processing in New Orleans. In my mind, this was the best Funeral Doom release since "Call Of The Wretched Sea."
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
26.07.2010 - 17:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
GALLILEOUS - apparently among the pioneers of funreal doom, founded in 1990, with the first demo released in 1992. They disbanded in 1995, but reformad in 2005.
Since then they released a full-length, "Ego Sum Censore Deuum" and an EP "Equideus".
The first thing that draws the listener's attention are extreme, agonized vocals. The production, especially on the EP is very rich and powerful, with interesting keyboard parts being the most notable feature. At times there are no distorted guitars present, onlt drums, bass guitar and keyboards - yet the music remains extremely crushing and heavy.

http://www.gallileous.foreshadow.pl - 2 songs played directly from the site
http://www.myspace.com/gallileous - 3 more songs

Fun fact: they're not listed on doom-metal.com...
26.07.2010 - 18:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@daniel. i would call tjhem striaght up death doom. I don't any funeral parts in them. I think they are listed on doom-metal.com but probable under death doom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2010 - 18:26
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
They're not, I checked. Anyways, you have a point when it comes to genre. But at the end of the day. it's sometimes impossible to actually categorise some bands. Esoteric being a prime example
26.07.2010 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 26.07.2010 at 18:26

They're not, I checked. Anyways, you have a point when it comes to genre. But at the end of the day. it's sometimes impossible to actually categorise some bands. Esoteric being a prime example

i find Esoteric easy to categorize. Funeral doom with psychedelic influencs. i actually find it harder to categorize Evoken. At times funeral doom and at others immensely heavy death/doom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2010 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Daniel. i just checked and Gallileous are featured on doom-metal.com. Go to the bandlist. Click on G and they are there. Actually the very first band mentioned under G.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2010 - 07:40
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I've been listening to Catacombs recently, I found "In The Depths of R'lyeh" quite good, very entertaining, even if the album is slow as watching grass grow, it's very captivating, the vocals are horrifying (in a good way of course!), and the music flows as a calm river towards the end of the world. Just great.

I don't know very much about Doom metal (as I stated many times before) but I love the works from bands like Ahab, Esoteric, Arcana Coelestia and many amazing bands I have been discovering (also thanks to the MS awards ).

This is simply overwhelming
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
27.07.2010 - 09:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.07.2010 at 19:44

@Daniel. i just checked and Gallileous are featured on doom-metal.com. Go to the bandlist. Click on G and they are there. Actually the very first band mentioned under G.

Haha, the blind can't see that they're blind on account of being blind I checked under every sub-genre listing and didn't bother checking by letter.
27.07.2010 - 09:23
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

I can't find it anywhere Where did you buy it?
27.07.2010 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 27.07.2010 at 09:23

I can't find it anywhere Where did you buy it?

Bittercold and I bought our copy at www.psychedoomelic.com imo the best distro around for all sorts of doom, be it on cd or vinyl.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996