Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
25.08.2010 - 18:21
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Yeah haha, the best definition of funeral doom would be "any kind of metal that's played at 20 bpm or slower
25.08.2010 - 19:00
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 18:21

Yeah haha, the best definition of funeral doom would be "any kind of metal that's played at 20 bpm or slower

it's a fairly big window, yes... and, as in any metal genre, for some is bigger than others...
25.08.2010 - 19:21
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 09:25

Also, Pantheist hasn't changed that much over the years.

Well, I don't agree at all. "Journey Through Lands Unknown" sounds like it was recorded by a totally different band compared to "O Solitude".
25.08.2010 - 21:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 09:25

I'm asking because if you think "O Solitude" is funeral doom, you must also add Shape of Despair and Colosseum to your mini list. They all play doom that is richly embellished by keyboards. Also, Pantheist hasn't changed that much over the years.

I am siding with user farmakon on this one. when comparing Journey Through Lands Unknown to O Solitude it is like it is an entirely different band. O Solitude I would call funeral doom, same for Amartia, but Journey Through Lands Unknown I would lump into the same category as Mar De Grises' Draining The Waterheart, so progressive doom with touches f death doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 23:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
And I have no choice but to completely agree with you... because I haven't heard Pantheist's last album
The last one I know is "Pains of Sleep"
25.08.2010 - 23:55
NihilHecatomb
Written by RobotPolarBear on 25.08.2010 at 01:35

Let me see if I can embed it...

EDIT: Success!

Thank you very much sir. And to the other guy for telling me actually how to do it.
----
"Once your gone, you can't go back.When your out of the blue and into the black."
25.08.2010 - 23:58
NihilHecatomb
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 23:42

And I have no choice but to completely agree with you... because I haven't heard Pantheist's last album

A very good album also.
----
"Once your gone, you can't go back.When your out of the blue and into the black."
26.08.2010 - 01:36
Quote:
Thank you very much sir.

You're welcome.

Anyway, since I'm here, I might as well contribute to the actual topic. I'm just starting to get into funeral doom; I've listened to a few of the big bands already, but there are only five that (so far) have really impressed me all that much - Funeral, Ahab, Skepticism, Thergothon and Shape of Despair. Could I have some recommendations for good funeral doom? If it's a band I've already heard, then I'll just check them out again and see if they click.
26.08.2010 - 01:45
ß
Problem?
Quote:

Anyway, since I'm here, I might as well contribute to the actual topic. I'm just starting to get into funeral doom; I've listened to a few of the big bands already, but there are only five that (so far) have really impressed me all that much - Funeral, Ahab, Skepticism, Thergothon and Shape of Despair. Could I have some recommendations for good funeral doom? If it's a band I've already heard, then I'll just check them out again and see if they click.

Ill just name drop right now. Profetus, Mournful Congregation, Abyssmal Sorrow, Fungoid Stream, Reido, Longing For Dawn, Towards Darkness, Abstract Spirit, Comatose Vigil, Funeralium, Esoteric, Wijlen Wij, Wormphlegm , Grívf, Urna and Hyponic. That should keep you busy for quite awhile.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
26.08.2010 - 01:49
Quote:
Ill just name drop right now. Profetus, Mournful Congregation, Abyssmal Sorrow, Fungoid Stream, Reido, Longing For Dawn, Towards Darkness, Abstract Spirit, Comatose Vigil, Funeralium, Esoteric, Wijlen Wij, Wormphlegm , Grívf, Urna and Hyponic. That should keep you busy for quite awhile.

Indeed it will. Thanks.
26.08.2010 - 02:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 23:42

and that's a compilation of their demo and other really old stuff :-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2010 - 11:42
Again, I see bands mentioned here that are definitely NOT funeral doom, but it's a bit of a sterile argument, since, as I said before, we all have different opinion about it. Maybe I'm being quite strict...
Re: Pantheist. Amartia and O Solitude are funeral, but not Journey Through Lands Unknown, that's really proggy doom...
26.08.2010 - 11:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ß on 26.08.2010 at 01:45

Quote:

I don't hear anything funeral in Abstract Spirit. Totally death doom imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2010 - 15:54
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2010 at 11:45

Written by ß on 26.08.2010 at 01:45

Quote:

hey, you've killed the thread, Marcel... but then we are discussing funeral stuff...
26.08.2010 - 15:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.08.2010 at 15:54

hey, you've killed the thread, Marcel... but then we are discussing funeral stuff...

Sorry, for that. And to be honest, it isn't even that great.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2010 - 16:41
NihilHecatomb
I would have to say that Comatose Vigil is the best funeral doom band out there. My personal favorite band that uses aspects of funeral or helped pretty much create the genre is diSEMBOWELMENT. They play a very nihilistic combination of funeral doom and grind. But by far the best out there. Another really good band is Worship. And I amazed to see people forgetting to mention this band,Esoteric. Esoteric is one of the biggest funeral doom acts out there. Given they are psycedlic and very experimental but I would say it is open minded Funeral Doom with aspects of other music. and also, check out Hecatomb,heh.
----
26.08.2010 - 18:42
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

It was bound for there to be at least one band in there that someone thought wasn't Funeral Doom I guess they're one of the bands happen to go either way for certain people. I can see why you might not consider them Funeral Doom at all.
----
07.09.2010 - 03:25
whatsacow
Just listened to Evoken's Quietus, and I must say I am impressed. Brilliant album, that is quite different to bands like ahab and Shape of despair, as it has more foreign influences. In some places, the guitar in some places sounds almost like a slowed down opeth passage. The deep growls combined with the deep clean vocals make it even more haunting.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
08.11.2011 - 21:59
InnerSelf
proofread free
Was checking their profile at Last.fm and discovered a trailer for their 2011 album !
Arcana Coelestia
http://www.last.fm/music/Arcana+Coelestia/_/New+Album+Trailer+2011
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.11.2011 - 22:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by InnerSelf on 08.11.2011 at 21:59
Arcana Coelestia

What when? December?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.11.2011 - 22:54
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.11.2011 at 22:51

Written by InnerSelf on 08.11.2011 at 21:59
Arcana Coelestia

What when? December?

The news say 2011's autumn, and it seems that these news ,alongside this sample, were posted in August xD
----
is not bold enough
09.11.2011 - 07:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
August...which has all but passed. I'm assuming there's some delays in the recording process then, which means we'll likely see a Summoning/Wintersun kind of thing...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.11.2011 - 23:36
InnerSelf
proofread free
I don't think so, they said "Autumn" it is has not passed yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed
----
is not bold enough
10.11.2011 - 00:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
When does autumn end? Because it feels like winter over here.
----
10.11.2011 - 00:09
InnerSelf
proofread free
Hahaha over here too, but they are still not that late will be stalking their FB page waiting for updates
----
is not bold enough
10.11.2011 - 00:10
ß
Problem?
December 21st is the official start of winter, so it should be released shortly after.
----
10.11.2011 - 00:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
December 21st. I'll just sleep until then I guess. Commence mini-hibernation.
----
12.11.2011 - 02:56
Savopipo
I can't help to find everything dooooooom boring. I loved Black Sabbath and some other bands but all together it's boooring!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
12.11.2011 - 03:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
A lot of people think doom (and extreme doom) are boring, but those of us who like it see the inner beauty.
----
12.11.2011 - 03:12
Savopipo
Sorry dude ... I don't want to be negative (quite the opposite) but to me doom is just Black Sabbath but even slower. Doesn't mean I don't respect the people liking it though.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com