Metal Storm logo
Hair Metal, Glam Rock, Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.12.2006 - 10:09
I just noticed that theres no Thread to simply discuss Hair Metal, Glam Rock, and Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock. Hair metal is what eventually lead me into all sorts of other types of metal, if it wasnt for bands like Cinderella, WASP, Guns N Roses, and Motley Crue, I never wouldve found things like black metal, death metal etc.

So come and discuss all things that fall under this Genre(s)

PS.-Theres been alot of posts saying that GnR isnt hair metal, thats why I put in 'sleaze rock/sleaze metal'. its simply a small term for bands like skid row, GnR, Aerosmith, and Lynch Mob, who were almost like hair metal, but with a grittier bluesier feel to it. Not so polished as alot of hair metal.

oh, and to those of you who are new to glam/sleaze and are looking for recommendations definitly go to TheRealThing, that guy knows probably more about this subject than anyone on metalstorm combined, believe me, its unholy.
27.02.2012 - 14:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Def Leppard

Great Hair Metal band.
27.02.2012 - 15:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
My favorite glam metal band is Steel Panther. they do an amazing parody of this whole genre with lyrics that are funny and cheesy as hell.. on their last album there is a track with a chorus that goes like "I fucked seventeen girls in a row".
17.03.2012 - 12:29
WASP is the only Hair Metal band that has a real Heavy Metal sound.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
21.03.2012 - 05:15
slutmachine
Sleaze is coming back
21.03.2012 - 05:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by slutmachine on 21.03.2012 at 05:15

Sleaze is coming back

I hope not
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2012 - 21:03
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Skid Row: Great band. I listened to the two first album a lot. The other ones, well... without words
10.05.2012 - 13:46
Nasty Idols
Nasty Idols - No More Rules / New Single Out Now!

One of Scandinavia's premier glam/sleaze bands returns.
Ever since their first savage and youthful rise back in the late 80's the swedish rockers Nasty Idols
has delivered their own brand of straight forward sleazy metal rock.

The new album coming 2012 will contain 11 original tracks featuring:
Kalifornia, 1969 (This Ain't The Summer Of Love), Nightstalkin' and Roadtrip...

No More Rules is the first single taken from the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSQ7585OGQ

www.nastyidols.com
www.myspace.com/thenastyidols
www.facebook.com/pages/Nasty-Idols-Official/
02.06.2012 - 07:58
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
Hair metal seems to get alot of shit from metalheads and other metal musicians within other genres especially thrash, and thrash being my favorite metal it would most likely seem that i do not like hair metal, but i think it kicks ass. There are alot of really good hair bands.
23.07.2012 - 23:51
vgmaster9
Written by Infernal Eternal on 17.03.2012 at 12:29

WASP is the only Hair Metal band that has a real Heavy Metal sound.

I'm not even sure if the'yre hair metal to begin with, I might be wrong. They were even part of the same scene from LA with those other famous hair metal bands.
24.07.2012 - 00:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=114505] on 21.03.2012 at 21:03

Skid Row: Great band. I listened to the two first album a lot. The other ones, well... without words

Skid Row is NOT a sleaze metal band. Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, Def Leppard are sleaze, Skid Row is straight-up classic heavy metal. The same way as Twisted Sister and WASP are not sleaze, their image was the only thing connecting them to this movement.

I used to think I like this genre, but then I saw some of the more interesting (for me) bands in concert and got sorely disappointed. I'm talking about Motley Crue and the Swedish band H.E.A.T. The latter especially was a en epic fail.
24.07.2012 - 00:32
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2012 at 00:29

Skid Row is NOT a sleaze metal band. Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, Def Leppard are sleaze, Skid Row is straight-up classic heavy metal. The same way as Twisted Sister and WASP are not sleaze, their image was the only thing connecting them to this movement.

I used to think I like this genre, but then I saw some of the more interesting (for me) bands in concert and got sorely disappointed. I'm talking about Motley Crue and the Swedish band H.E.A.T. The latter especially was a en epic fail.

Excuse me, but what's that Sleaze thing anyway? I thought Skid Row were a hair metal band.
24.07.2012 - 00:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=114505] on 24.07.2012 at 00:32

Excuse me, but what's that Sleaze thing anyway? I thought Skid Row were a hair metal band.

sleaze/hair/whatever bands mostly have upbeat catchy pop-like songs about getting laid, doing drugs and partying. Skid Row (especially their 2nd album) is nothing like that. Just compare Crue at their heaviest moment with whatever Skid Row ever made: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm5auKDPoSY now compare this to Slave to the Grind, both songs have approximately the same tempo and are even in the same key as far as I know. Slave is about giving the finger to authority while Live Wire is about partying in the LA sunset strip and getting laid.
24.07.2012 - 02:53
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2012 at 00:43

Written by [user id=114505] on 24.07.2012 at 00:32

sleaze/hair/whatever bands mostly have upbeat catchy pop-like songs about getting laid, doing drugs and partying. Skid Row (especially their 2nd album) is nothing like that. Just compare Crue at their heaviest moment with whatever Skid Row ever made: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm5auKDPoSY now compare this to Slave to the Grind, both songs have approximately the same tempo and are even in the same key as far as I know. Slave is about giving the finger to authority while Live Wire is about partying in the LA sunset strip and getting laid.

Ha... so Hair, Glam and Sleaze are the three terms used to describe the same music I didn't knew about that at the time I posted my previous post here. I got confused 'cause Skid Row and some of the heavy metal bands from the time sounds like the same, like you said. You also said Twisted Sisters are not Sleaze? I haven't ventured too much into their sound, but they look like just what you described: Partying and getting laid Quiet Riot also enter in the Hair metal category, right?
24.07.2012 - 04:17
Lit.
Account deleted

Ignoring how much you sound like a trve metalhead calling glam "False Metal," Def Leppard is actually NWOBHM.

Written by [user id=114505] on 24.07.2012 at 02:53

Ha... so Hair, Glam and Sleaze are the three terms used to describe the same music I didn't knew about that at the time I posted my previous post here. I got confused 'cause Skid Row and some of the heavy metal bands from the time sounds like the same, like you said. You also said Twisted Sisters are not Sleaze? I haven't ventured too much into their sound, but they look like just what you described: Partying and getting laid Quiet Riot also enter in the Hair metal category, right?

What band isn't about partying and getting laid?
24.07.2012 - 04:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=114505] on 24.07.2012 at 02:53

some people choose to think of these as 3 separate genres, to me it's really just the same genre with 3 different names.

I don't know about Quiet Riot as I've never listened to them, but TS are definitely nowhere near glam metal musically, and to be honest I can't even think of one single song from them that's about sex and just 2-3 that are specifically about partying, the rest is quite diverse but centered on the glory of rock 'n roll.

Written by [user id=101272] on 24.07.2012 at 04:17

Ignoring how much you sound like a trve metalhead calling glam "False Metal," Def Leppard is actually NWOBHM.

Where exactly am I calling glam "False Metal" in my post? I don't even use that wording at all, and DL's first demo (Getcha Rocks Off) might be a part of that genre but I fail to see any kind of similarity between early Maiden (or early DL for that matter) and "Hysteria".
24.07.2012 - 06:02
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2012 at 04:25

some people choose to think of these as 3 separate genres, to me it's really just the same genre with 3 different names.

I don't know about Quiet Riot as I've never listened to them, but TS are definitely nowhere near glam metal musically, and to be honest I can't even think of one single song from them that's about sex and just 2-3 that are specifically about partying, the rest is quite diverse but centered on the glory of rock 'n roll.

I always thought TS were Glam... His image and the videoclips are always, hm.. glam Especially the song "We're not gonna take it". Now it came to my mind the bands Lordi and Alice Cooper. They have lots of "Rock'n'Roll rulez yeahyeah" songs and are, most time, labelled as Glam.

Mayhem and Burzum? Darkthrone and Isengard? Satyricon and Venom??... oh wait! Venom is a tiny bit sleaze....
24.07.2012 - 10:32
Uldreth

Their first album yes, maybe their second too. Then they switched to pop metal.
Quote:

I hope this question isn't serious.
24.07.2012 - 20:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Uldreth on 24.07.2012 at 10:32

yet were still NOWOBHM. NWOBHM is not a sound but a time in history when certain bands emerged. That's why Judas Priest and Motorhead were never considered NWOBHM and Venom were.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2012 - 01:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I have a closet obsession for W.A.S.P

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2012 - 01:31
Uldreth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.07.2012 at 20:24

yet were still NOWOBHM. NWOBHM is not a sound but a time in history when certain bands emerged. That's why Judas Priest and Motorhead were never considered NWOBHM and Venom were.

Yes you are right, but then the post I responded to makes no sense since if NWOBHM describes an era and place then there is absolutely nothing surprising about calling a NWOBHM band "false metal" (as much I despise the term and I know it didn't get called false metal in the thread) since then the term does not refer to genre anyways.
07.09.2012 - 22:03
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.02.2012 at 14:05

Def Leppard

Great Hair Metal band.

True. Hair metal isn't really my thing, but Def Leppard is good.
----
22.09.2012 - 19:42
Lit.
Account deleted
I've been getting too much into this Swedish wave of sleaze metal, like Crashdiet and Hardcore Superstar. Any similar recommendations, bands and albums?
24.09.2012 - 18:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
There seems to be some confusion over what genre bands like W.A.S.P., Guns N' Roses, and Skid Row come under. As they are all associated by many with the hair/glam scene, yet somehow they are clearly a different breed of band than the Poisons, Enuff Z' Nuffs, and Danger Dangers of this world. Another such band, and one that I'm amazed hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, is the awesome Love/Hate! Some of their lyrics clearly come under the "sleaze" category, but musically what they were doing was quite a bit diffrent to the glam bands I just mentioned, even if there was some similarties with that scene. Much like Skid Row, their first album was borderline sleaze/glam, whereas their second album was heavier and more diverse with more of an emphasis on metallic elements. Love/Hate were sadly victims of the time when they emerged, as I think they'd probably have been huge if they'd been around just 3/4 years prior to the first album. Their amazing second album "Wasted In America", is still very much a favourite of mine today though.
25.09.2012 - 03:52
Evil Chip
I don't really like any of these genres. I sometimes listen for a laugh or to see the videos.
25.09.2012 - 12:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2012 at 18:48

. Another such band, and one that I'm amazed hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, is the awesome Love/Hate!

guess what I spun Blackout In The Redroom just last SUnday.

Still an awesome sleaze album to this day.

Saw Love/Hate live at Aardschokdag 1992 with Fear Of God, Sepultura, Obituary, Scäm Luiz and I think one more band but for the love God can't remember its name and can't find it anywhere.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2012 - 13:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2012 at 12:14
:lol: guess what I spun Blackout In The Redroom just last SUnday.

Still an awesome sleaze album to this day.

Saw Love/Hate live at Aardschokdag 1992 with Fear Of God, Sepultura, Obituary, Scäm Luiz and I think one more band but for the love God can't remember its name and can't find it anywhere.

No way... I'd never have guessed that!

Sleaze is a sub-genre that generally, I don't have a lot of time for, but ocassionally, you get an album like Blackout... which is so great sonically that it transcends the negative stereotypes I usually have for that genre. The one thing that all of the tiny amount of sleaze bands that I do love have in common, is they have an "edge" to their sound. Something that seperates them from the mostly atrocious other bands in that genre.And Blackout... and "Wasted In America" certainly have that edge. There's a bubbling intensity, and malicious touch to their sound that I find irresistable. It also helps that Jizzy has a gritty, sneering quality to his sleazy vocals, which also stands out so much. Great band!

I remember they were playing here in 1992, and I desperately wanted to go, but I couldn't as it was an 18+ show, and I wasn't old enough. lol
25.09.2012 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.09.2012 at 13:05

No way... I'd never have guessed that!

to be honest there isn't a lot of sleaze/glam I enjoy.

Love/Hate I really like, first GnR album as well. Tesla I always loved,t hat is if you can call them glam/sleaze. First Skid Row only a couple of songs, second Skid Row was great but musically not sleaze/glam.
Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt etc I hated and still hate.

Oh yeah before people mention Van Halen or Whitesnake since I love them the only thing they had to do with glam at a certain point in their career was their looks NOT their music. Glam/sleaze was also about the music. if it was pjust about the looks than 90% of all thrash bands wold be glam.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2012 - 22:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2012 at 13:42
to be honest there isn't a lot of sleaze/glam I enjoy.

Love/Hate I really like, first GnR album as well. Tesla I always loved,t hat is if you can call them glam/sleaze. First Skid Row only a couple of songs, second Skid Row was great but musically not sleaze/glam.
Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt etc I hated and still hate.

Oh yeah before people mention Van Halen or Whitesnake since I love them the only thing they had to do with glam at a certain point in their career was their looks NOT their music. Glam/sleaze was also about the music. if it was pjust about the looks than 90% of all thrash bands wold be glam.

Yep, same here as far as sleaze/glam is concerned... When a band impresses you from a genre that you're generally not a fan of, you know that there's something unique and special about them. And that is certainly the case with Love/Hate! Some of their lyrics are insipid, but the music is so good, and presented in such a fresh way that I can overlook that negative aspect. Appetite is indeed a classic album, and Tesla are good, although I'm not sure if I'd class them as sleaze/glam... I actually like the first Skid Row album a lot, although without a doubt, "Slave To The Grind" leaves the debut in it's dust. It's an album that stands the test of time, and is probably my fave hard rock/metal hybrid album ever.

Well, both Whitesnake and Van Halen became very commercial sounding during ther mid-late 80's, but that doesn't automatically make them "glam". I actually like some of the late 80's Whitesnake stuff... I normally don't like rock that commercial sounding, but it's just superbly written stuff... a good song is a good song, no matter what genre it's from! hehee
26.09.2012 - 00:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.07.2012 at 20:24

If I could get 1 euro everytime I've read this Same for the Big 4.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.06.2013 - 07:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
According to MA he is/was Lita Ford husbind?

Can anybody prove, share whit me any more officaial link, like some bigger media, offical bands pages etc about his death?

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jim_Gillette/165634
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing