Metal Storm logo
The Next Big Thing in Black Metal

15.01.2007 - 17:36
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Just wondered what demo bands people think will become popular in the coming years. If we say now what upcoming bands we think will become very successful (relative to the black metal scene) then in a few years time we can all look back and see how right i was.

i bet a penny on Vassafor, Ash Pool and Nightbringer.

Also worthy of a mention (though less likely to become widely known): Teitanblood, Anal Blasphemy and Begrime Exemoius

Anything else worth a listen?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.01.2007 - 17:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Uh. I am way too mainstream for this thread. Though this thread is kinda like dealing in effects.. if we all post here and name some bands, they are known.

(i.e. if we all buy the same effects they will become more worth).

But uhm, I say a band like Lifelover deserves more attention. Or are they already 'well-known'?

Edit: wait, they have an album out.. so they are not a demo band anymore.. so they dont count?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.01.2007 - 18:36
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Lucas on 15.01.2007 at 17:52

Uh. I am way too mainstream for this thread. Though this thread is kinda like dealing in effects.. if we all post here and name some bands, they are known.

I know what you mean but the effects of mentioning a band in this thread on their success is negligible.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.01.2007 - 18:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah, I thought so. Not for the entire metalscene, but might be important for the MetalStorm-scene.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.01.2007 - 18:56
Basso
Account deleted
Definitly Be Persecuted. They did just recently put out an amazing demo of Burzumisch blackmetal with some acustic passages etc. Awesome, but since they are already recording a fulleanght they are probably to unkvlt for you \o/
15.01.2007 - 21:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 15.01.2007 at 18:56

Definitly Be Persecuted.

ah, you beat me to saying that. imo the future will be shaped by The Ruins of Beverast, Wolves In The Throne Room, some Niege project (either Amesoeurs, Alcest or Peste Noire), In Vino Veritas and maybe even Darkestrah will get some credit.

edit: I'm forgetting about Coldworld, Mgla and Ashdautas
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.01.2007 - 21:10
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 15.01.2007 at 21:05

ah, you beat me to saying that. imo the future will be shaped by The Ruins of Beverast, Wolves In The Throne Room, some Niege project (either Amesoeurs, Alcest or Peste Noire), In Vino Veritas and maybe even Darkestrah will get some credit.

An Alcest fulleanght = wet dream. I am yet to hear a fulleangth by Wolves in the ...., but the few songs I have heard was awesome. Realy want to get some releases from them
15.01.2007 - 21:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 15.01.2007 at 21:10

An Alcest fulleanght = wet dream. I am yet to hear Wolves, but the few songs I have heard was awesome. Realy want to get some releases from them

an Amesoeurs lp would be even better, although Niege said that they will go in a differenet direction...
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.01.2007 - 21:34
Basso
Account deleted
Gah I am not very informed and cunning of Nieges differents projects. Basicly I have only heard Alcest and one short part of Amosoeurs EP.
Peste Noire is something I have to check also I suppose...
15.01.2007 - 21:45
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i forgot about MGLA. i only heard them the other day on the 'crushing the holy trinity' compialtion but that stuff is great. i'll order their EP when i get a chance.
----

Read Watchmen.
15.01.2007 - 22:02
Zombie, M.D.
Nice to see Nightbringer mentioned. Their side of the split with Temple of Not is incredible, definitely deserves more attention. I was thinking of Urfaust, but theyve already started to become fairly popular. Maybe all those bands which are shying away from black metal, like Alcest, Nuit Noire, Amoseurs, Lifelover, Circle of Ouroborus and such.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
15.01.2007 - 22:31
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Those bands are already fairly popular. I'm wondering if this kind of pop/upbeat BM is going to catch on in a big way. The new Nuit Noire and CoO are really good but the style may get boring if everyone's doing it (like with xasthur, leviathan, acid enema etc).
----

Read Watchmen.
15.01.2007 - 22:59
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Hmmm, demo bands you say? Warhorn is a demo band which may someday reach stardom but they haven't realeased an album in ages. Only a demo. Alcest is a good band as well. Hemnur was said to be the next big thing back in 2003 or so and they seem to be shaping towards that kind of thing.

Gaahlskagg which is a side project of Gaahl (Gorgoroth..) and Skagg (Taake..) is also a very good band but they've been around for ages now and they already. They released an album called "Erotic Funeral" back in 2000 but are just starting to follow up on it with another release.

People seem very positive about Ave Sathanas as well. Also Arganath may have a role to play in the future. Well many bands have a tendency of changing what they do and "selling out" at times so can't really be sure of anything.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
15.01.2007 - 23:00
Silvanus
Account deleted
Malfeitor and Frangar imo.
17.01.2007 - 04:53
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There are too many cool bands in black metal with a full discography, so I don't usually dedicate any time to check demos... then I will only use this thread to try with well-explained recxomendations... yes, I know I'm a poser.... and I'm proud of it.... poser pride world wide!
17.01.2007 - 17:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by -tom- on 15.01.2007 at 21:45

i forgot about MGLA. i only heard them the other day on the 'crushing the holy trinity' compialtion but that stuff is great. i'll order their EP when i get a chance.

I think Mgla can become the next big buzz as well. Their part of "Crushing the Holy Trinity" is great and imho the best contribution of the six bands featured there. Somehow I was slightly disappointed by their Presence e.p. although it is still very good but imo not as good as their stuff on CTHT. Hopefully they'll release a full length this year. And as they are on Northern Heritage it is very probably that a buzz will start soon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2007 - 21:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.01.2007 at 17:32

I think Mgla can become the next big buzz as well. Their part of "Crushing the Holy Trinity" is great and imho the best contribution of the six bands featured there. Somehow I was slightly disappointed by their Presence e.p. although it is still very good but imo not as good as their stuff on CTHT.

strange, but I've never heard CTHT. but if you say that Mgla's stuff is better then the EPs, then I must hear it.

anybody heard the Mdlosci EP, also from Mgla? it's also a good piece, but not as good as the first one. get's old quickly.
----

21.02.2007 - 20:44
matos
Dekadent! Band evolved from one man projec named Vigred and later reenamed, and recorded the debut Album called "Manifestation of Seasonal Bleeding"
Their sound is quite unique a fresh, so check em out here: http://www.dekadent.si/
----
21.02.2007 - 21:16
Skalden
Account deleted
They´re pretty big here in Sweden, dont know about outside, but Watain has alot of potential!
21.02.2007 - 22:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I would put my money on Bucovina, Lost Infinity and Kult
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
21.02.2007 - 23:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 21.02.2007 at 21:16

They´re pretty big here in Sweden, dont know about outside, but Watain has alot of potential!

no they don't. dimmu borgir has a lot of potential. they're the kings of death metal
----

21.02.2007 - 23:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Oh no Damnated, let's not talk about the kings of Death Metal again. (Slipknot beats 'em anyway)

Just kidding man.

@Skalden. You see, Watain is way too 'big' for this thread. They are already well-known in the underground, so they already made it. This thread is for smaller bands, you see?
----

22.02.2007 - 01:05
Skalden
Account deleted
ya sorry, didnt know how well known they were outside of Sweden, guess i should have done some more readin before the post heheh
22.02.2007 - 09:21
Herzebeth
Well I don't know bout' demos...but last year a band named katharsis (from germany) released one of the most fucked up black metal albums ever known to man....it's fucking something dudes seriously.

I received their album to review, I'll post it soon and all...
----
22.02.2007 - 14:24
Damnated
Churchburner
katharsis is quite famous in some circles, however, i never enjoyed them.
----

22.02.2007 - 22:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I think Sworn To The Black will be their breakthrough album. Not as raw as before, released on Season of Mist, and now that Dissection has passed away they fill up that place, because Sworn To The Black has that distinctive old Dissection sound to it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 00:18
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2007 at 22:50

I think Sworn To The Black will be their breakthrough album. Not as raw as before, released on Season of Mist, and now that Dissection has passed away they fill up that place, because Sworn To The Black has that distinctive old Dissection sound to it.

Yes indeed... Since I recieved that album this thuesday I have been listening to it alot, and by the sound of it Watain's "Sworn to the Dark" is an album already begging to pick up a wide audiance from Dissection fans. The sound, the production and the vocals, its very Dissection like. But luckily the album does have its own touch of Watain.

I think the album is great, and I wouldnt mind at all to see Watain get a larger audiance with this album. What's even better is the fact im going to catch Watain live this year \m/. Im thrilled.

I might consider writing a review on "Sworn to the dark" after listening to it a bit more...
23.02.2007 - 20:26
Skalden
Account deleted
Damnit! i want to see them in Stockholm in april, but i doubt that i can make it...
Watain definetly deserves a larger audiance.
26.02.2007 - 05:41
Nykteros
Account deleted
Deathspell Omega has been a highly respectable band in the BM scene for a long time, and I personally think they will continue to do so in the future.

there are a few other bands that I think will bring more to BM, but im to lazy to post them
26.02.2007 - 12:05
Rimfrost
Demo bands "Sanctum Sanguis" and "Irrbloss" have potential. Check out their myspaces.