Metal Storm logo
The Next Big Thing in Black Metal

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 15.01.2007 - 17:36
Just wondered what demo bands people think will become popular in the coming years. If we say now what upcoming bands we think will become very successful (relative to the black metal scene) then in a few years time we can all look back and see how right i was.

i bet a penny on Vassafor, Ash Pool and Nightbringer.

Also worthy of a mention (though less likely to become widely known): Teitanblood, Anal Blasphemy and Begrime Exemoius

Anything else worth a listen?
02.10.2007 - 15:30
orphy
I agree with the 1349 comment, they really did fall from grace. In regards to DSO, I think they're doing something that's absolutely fresh and new, and really pushing the limits of lyrics, imagery, and ideology. Just look at their last two LPs and EP. It's so well thought out. Hell, even the new Mayhem CD is somewhat in the same spectrum as this. I really dig it.

I also think a lot of these "orthodox" black metal bands that are coming out now are going to get a bit bigger. Watain is getting pretty big, and I bet with their next release, Heresi will be pretty big too.
----
-orphy
02.10.2007 - 17:40
Damnated
Churchburner
dso was original and fresh 2 years ago.

ps: yes, orthodox bm is definitely the new big thing on the scene. just check out this year's releases: Mortuus, Glorior Belli, Obscurus Advocam, Arkha Sva and the new Ondskapt is on the way too
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.10.2007 - 21:50
Zombie, M.D.
Written by orphy on 02.10.2007 at 15:30

I also think a lot of these "orthodox" black metal bands that are coming out now are going to get a bit bigger. Watain is getting pretty big, and I bet with their next release, Heresi will be pretty big too.

I never understood why the "orthodox" tag started popping up? Isnt the majority of black metal pretty orthodox?

I recently heard Mutiilation cover "My Way" by Frank Sinatra, I hope that catches on.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
03.10.2007 - 01:28
orphy
The idea of "orthodox" black metal is that it's no frills, no gimmick black metal, just as it was originally intended. And yes that cover rules haha.
----
-orphy
03.10.2007 - 08:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 02.10.2007 at 21:50

I recently heard Mutiilation cover "My Way" by Frank Sinatra, I hope that catches on.

That is one brilliant creepy cover. And IMO the ONLY good thing Mutiilation has ever recorded. I could never and ca still not understand the big deal about Mutiilation and other bands from the Legiones Noire such as the terrible and horrible (even worse than Australia's Striborg) Vlad Tepes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2007 - 12:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Vlad Tepes is actually very good. and there are other good lln bands, like Belketre and Moëvöt. shure, their stuff isn't for everybody...
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.10.2007 - 12:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 03.10.2007 at 12:05

Vlad Tepes is actually very good. and there are other good lln bands, like Belketre and Moëvöt. shure, their stuff isn't for everybody...

Moevot is decent I give you that but Belketre is pretty crap too. IMO people who think that bands such as Vlad Tepes are actually very good are either deaf or are trying to be too tr00, kvlt, nekro, grim & frostbitten for their own good.
I can understand people liking Mutiilation, but totally NOT Vlad Tepes
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2007 - 12:30
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Its ok . Different people different opinion i guess , i like Vlad Tepes but i am no kvlt or grim
03.10.2007 - 13:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2007 at 12:17

Moevot is decent I give you that but Belketre is pretty crap too. IMO people who think that bands such as Vlad Tepes are actually very good are either deaf or are trying to be too tr00, kvlt, nekro, grim & frostbitten for their own good.
I can understand people liking Mutiilation, but totally NOT Vlad Tepes

why the hell i can't like Vlad Tepes? just because you think they're crap? your word is law, all of the sudden?
----

12.10.2007 - 21:03
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by orphy on 02.10.2007 at 03:34

To keep it on topic, I think bands like Gloria Diaboli, Weapon, and Warmarch are going to be huge.

Hey, aren't these just your friends bands?

GD and Warmarch are both pretty interesting but definitely not up to the standard of Rites of thy Degringolade. paulus should have stuck with that after J left. Haven't heard Weapon yet but I've heard good things about them. A member of Axis of Advance has joined according to metal archives so I should check them out.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
13.10.2007 - 19:30
orphy
Written by -tom- on 12.10.2007 at 21:03

Hey, aren't these just your friends bands?

GD and Warmarch are both pretty interesting but definitely not up to the standard of Rites of thy Degringolade. paulus should have stuck with that after J left. Haven't heard Weapon yet but I've heard good things about them. A member of Axis of Advance has joined according to metal archives so I should check them out.

Haha, I suppose so! The music at least rules.

Gloria Diaboli really wasn't Paulus' project at all though, it's all Jay's. I mean, they are relocating to vancouver. Each EP has a different line up aside from Jay. I think he just likes to mix things up... that and him and Paul couldn't see eye to eye on some creative ideas. I do agree though that Warmarch isn't near as good as RotD, but that demo they put out in 2006 is deadly, I've listened to it more times than I can count.

You should definitely check out Weapon. The first demo and EP were recorded in Bangledesh, I suggest checking out that EP. The upcoming EP features half of my band, and Vermin from AoA on bass. I heard the tracks over the summer before they were sent to FMP, and they were aaaawesome.
----
-orphy
13.12.2007 - 21:11
ArcanaHereticae
I happen to be a big fan of 1349 and other alike bands. I think 1349, for example will move up actually in the future of the genre. I mean, they fit all teh components and have relatively fresh material for each new album.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
13.12.2007 - 22:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 13.12.2007 at 21:11

I think 1349, for example will move up actually in the future of the genre.

i honestly hope not.
----

14.12.2007 - 02:01
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Sorry to be kvlt and stuff (can't help it lol) but 1349's CD's have been in HMV for since 'Beyond the Apocalypse'. How much more popular can they get?

I'm still hoping that Lust from Canada become very popular. So many shitty, unoriginal, forgettable bands getting respect. Fuck that!
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.12.2007 - 14:08
Xaphiris

I happen to be a big fan of 1349 and other alike bands. I think 1349, for example will move up actually in the future of the genre. I mean, they fit all teh components and have relatively fresh material for each new album.

...for a listener such as yourself. I really hope they continue the way they're heading now.
----
14.12.2007 - 18:38
ArcanaHereticae
Written by Xaphiris on 14.12.2007 at 14:08

...for a listener such as yourself. I really hope they continue the way they're heading now.

What is that supposed to mean?
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
22.02.2008 - 20:10
NOИ
Diapsiquir is the future of black metal. and also Manes from Norway. end of discussion!
01.03.2008 - 18:36
belisarius
i see a succesful future for inarborat, a german black metal band. they just released their first cd and it rocks
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
03.03.2008 - 08:15
ASiema113
Since this is all theoretical, there is no point in trying to prove anyone wrong. But I see things instore for Dark Fortress, and while they are somewhat recognized they are still quite unknown even in Germany from which they origin from. And depending on the activity & will of the band, I see big things for Thorns as well...
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
03.03.2008 - 09:02
NOИ
well yes, actually Thorns are something unique, but I prefer Diapsiquir, Manes and maybe Dodheimsgard to name "the next big thing in black metal". especially the Virus STN album for me is the best thing ever in the futuristic black metal sound!

I have also to add Legionz ov Hell here, an industrial black metal / speedcore / ambient band from Sweden. unfortunately they disbanded...

and about Dark Fortress, haven't heard much stuff from them yet but I think they are an average melodic black metal band from Germany, no ? what's so special in their music anyway ?
03.03.2008 - 13:53
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by matos on 21.02.2007 at 20:44

Dekadent! Band evolved from one man projec named Vigred and later reenamed, and recorded the debut Album called "Manifestation of Seasonal Bleeding"
Their sound is quite unique a fresh, so check em out here: http://www.dekadent.si/

Dude, they are fucking great! Thanks for recommendation.

EDIT: Second album is total shit...
07.03.2008 - 19:55
matos
Written by W-Lash on 03.03.2008 at 13:53

Written by matos on 21.02.2007 at 20:44

Dekadent! Band evolved from one man projec named Vigred and later reenamed, and recorded the debut Album called "Manifestation of Seasonal Bleeding"
Their sound is quite unique a fresh, so check em out here: http://www.dekadent.si/

Dude, they are fucking great! Thanks for recommendation.

EDIT: Second album is total shit...

Well i'm glad you like them (like i've already said in a PM).
About second album: This album is completely subordinated to a movie they made and used the album music for uncut soundtrack. The result of that was a totally awesome cinema experience! it's like a 40 minutes video actually. The plot of the movie is also not first class, but combined with the music and the special effects is a masterpiece.
To sum up - it's a unique art, integrity, but simply leaks black metal rawness, there is not a single song on the same level that last year's Vigred and Dissent dream were.
----
25.05.2008 - 02:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 20:10

Diapsiquir is the future of black metal.

lol didn't they break up?
25.05.2008 - 13:55
TheBigRossowski
Who here can really say what the future of black metal holds? If it is something fresh, you have two kinds of people: the one who is too stuck in the ideals of true black metal and the one who is willing to move forward. First you have to figure out which one you are.

Katharsis holds the key to old, black metal in it's original..well, you can't say "original", form.

The orthodox black metal shit is definitely on the rise, its receiving a lot of attention by those who appreciate GOOD black metal. Definitely Funeral Mist, Ondskapt, we can look forward to a lot of great things from them!

When Secrets of the Moon's next album is out, I think they will be put in the light a bit more...

and of course Deathspell Omega will have a killer release next...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.05.2008 - 15:25
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by TheBigRossowski on 25.05.2008 at 13:55

The orthodox black metal shit is definitely on the rise, its receiving a lot of attention by those who appreciate GOOD black metal. Definitely Funeral Mist, Ondskapt, we can look forward to a lot of great things from them!

i don't think we'll hear something from Funeral Mist again. Arioch is just too busy with Marduk, which is a shame, since both funeral Mist and his other project, Triumphator are superior to Marduk.
----

25.05.2008 - 16:49
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Most of this new "orthodox" stuff is crap. Seems like just a new way of saying "true" black metal since that term became a joke. None of these bands hold anything on what I would consider good orthodox BM (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, transylvanian Hunger, Heaven In Flames for examples).
----

Read Watchmen.
25.05.2008 - 17:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by -tom- on 25.05.2008 at 16:49

Most of this new "orthodox" stuff is crap. Seems like just a new way of saying "true" black metal since that term became a joke. None of these bands hold anything on what I would consider good orthodox BM (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, transylvanian Hunger, Heaven In Flames for examples).

I agree all ''ortodox'' BM are crap
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 19:06
Damnated
Churchburner

Seems like just a new way of saying "true" black metal since that term became a joke.

you missed the point then. orthodox bm is certainly more than traditional/raw black metal.

Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 17:06

just what have you heard?
----

25.05.2008 - 19:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 25.05.2008 at 19:06

Seems like just a new way of saying "true" black metal since that term became a joke.

you missed the point then. orthodox bm is certainly more than traditional/raw black metal.

Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 17:06

just what have you heard?

I mean after 2000 there's planty good BM bands to listern in 90ties
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 19:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 19:35

I mean after 2000 there's planty good BM bands to listern in 90ties

i asked which orthodox black metal bands have you heard, since you claim they are all crap.
----