Metal Storm logo
The Next Big Thing in Black Metal

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 15.01.2007 - 17:36
Just wondered what demo bands people think will become popular in the coming years. If we say now what upcoming bands we think will become very successful (relative to the black metal scene) then in a few years time we can all look back and see how right i was.

i bet a penny on Vassafor, Ash Pool and Nightbringer.

Also worthy of a mention (though less likely to become widely known): Teitanblood, Anal Blasphemy and Begrime Exemoius

Anything else worth a listen?
25.05.2008 - 19:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 25.05.2008 at 19:37

Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 19:35

I mean after 2000 there's planty good BM bands to listern in 90ties

i asked which orthodox black metal bands have you heard, since you claim they are all crap.

almoust all but mainly Countless from ned and I didnt like, I lsiten ewery day a lot of band sbut I dont remeber names so
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 19:49
TheBigRossowski
You can't just excuse the whole sub-genre of "orthodox" or kick it to the curb if you haven't really gave it a fair listen.

I don't ever want to hear this "true" crap either, everyone says that, but what's the point these days? Some of the bands don't think they're better or more true because they don't do tours, perhaps they just want to be musicians. Even Cronos said "that craps not black metal. Venom is black metal; sex, drugs, rock and roll. They should call their stuff 'corpsepaint metal' or something". And they "coined" the genre name so...what is true and what is not is an insane question.

Great "orthodox" bands out there, etc...

And I'm hoping Demonstruction does something because they have a great sound (on some songs) and their from my home town. They just need a new band name.....certainly not the FUTURE of black metal though
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.05.2008 - 19:57
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
trvism exists to Burzum and Darkthrone they are the best bends for me(so we shouldnt wonder why they are the trvest)

hail trve kvlt black metal
25.05.2008 - 19:59
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 19:40

almoust all but mainly Countless from ned and I didnt like, I lsiten ewery day a lot of band sbut I dont remeber names so

Countess is not orthodox black metal. i suggest you listen to some acts associated with this sub-genre before you dismiss it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.05.2008 - 20:00
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 25.05.2008 at 19:57

trvism exists to Burzum and Darkthrone they are the best bends for me(so we shouldnt wonder why they are the trvest)

die. (except you were sarcastic lol)
25.05.2008 - 20:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 25.05.2008 at 19:59

Written by Bad English on 25.05.2008 at 19:40

Countess is not orthodox black metal. i suggest you listen to some acts associated with this sub-genre before you dismiss it.

Then give me examples I tell what I like hmm 10-20 bands better from diferent countries
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2008 - 20:27
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Guest on 25.05.2008 at 20:00

Written by Metalhead2 on 25.05.2008 at 19:57

die. (except you were sarcastic lol)

ofc but the truth from the post is that burzum and darkthrone are the best for me everything else is sarcasm.
06.06.2008 - 06:50
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
The next big thing is Black Metal is i think ultra aggressive, intense black metal, bands like Thunderbolt, Infernal War, Urgehal and even Marduk, their aggressive types of black metal seem to be ever to popular now a days.
06.06.2008 - 13:46
Sunioj
I honestly hope not. Thunderbolt is a slight exception for me, but there is something very uninspiring about what I call 'Marduk Metal' bands, trying to mimick feelings off albums like 'Panzer Division Marduk' over and over again just gets really old.
06.06.2008 - 18:46
Damnated
Churchburner
ultra aggressive black metal never becomes a big thing. only n00bs are addicted to marduk and the likes throughout their metal listening days. some outgrow them, some don't.

Urgehal are nowhere near the next big thing, because they are constantly ridiculed and laughed at. they wear spikes on their head and look like Pinhead ffs. and Marduk being the next big thing? lmao, they've been around for ages, why do you even mention them? they never became a big thing and it's definitely not the time they will be tbh.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.06.2008 - 19:46
Gordon Freeman
Written by Damnated on 06.06.2008 at 18:46

ultra aggressive black metal never becomes a big thing. only n00bs are addicted to marduk and the likes throughout their metal listening days. some outgrow them, some don't.

Those of the Unlight thru to Nightwing were fantastic albums, especially Nightwing, and that hasn't changed. (In my opinion at least) Maybe my black metal tastes aren't esoteric enough...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
06.06.2008 - 19:47
Conservationist
The future, if there is one, is in better musical quality, not stylings.

DURRRRRRRRRRRR
29.09.2008 - 01:27
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Why did i mention Anal Blasphemy in the first post? Sounds like Gut meets Archgoat. They've got an album now if anyone's interested and the samples i've heard sound better than the demos but still pretty poor.

Teitanblood will have all previously released material as a CD any time now hopefully (I read that it'd be out in a month about a month ago) and an album in 2009.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.10.2008 - 07:58
Branzig
I'm always on the prowl for good, new black metal. I think the current big thing is the solo acts. Especially when considering the USBM underground. As far as the next trend goes, I'd say it's going to be the world of uber-violent, blackened-war metal ( such as blasphemophager, even though many people will argue that bands like this are nowhere close to black metal ). It's some gnarly stuff, and I've noticed quite a few bands adopting this style lately. LONG LIVE THE LEGACY OF BEHERIT! Other than that, I see more young, talented musicians on the horizon, mixing and infusing their own brands of awesome blackened power! Lots and lots of experimentation and plenty of genre bending! Bands I'm currently digging on are Brown Jenkins, Dodsferd, Orenda, Vrolok, Behexen, and Spektr.

It's a good time to be a black metal fan
----
In Grind We Crust
02.10.2008 - 15:12
TheBigRossowski
Actually, I had in mind the new Shining album which is apparently going to be ground breaking ...and...related to Tokio Hotel!

----
02.10.2008 - 15:33
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Frail - Brilliant Darkness

I can see this band becoming popular soon. Limited demo tape out now in the vein of Amesoeurs (imagery and music), split with Circle of Ouroborous coming soon, black metal fans are stupid. Yep, this'll be popular.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.10.2008 - 18:23
Galar
Wicked Mung
The band Malnatt, not to be confused with the Italian NS band, these guys are crazy good...
awesome catchy black metal
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
30.03.2010 - 20:16
SerratedSyringe
I think industrial and electronic influenced black metal is the next big thing.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
31.03.2010 - 20:09
The next big thing in black metal?

These guys.

02.04.2010 - 00:58
Inlé
I can see novelty acts getting more prominent. The fact I.C.E made small but noticable waves shows there is some niche interest in tongue in cheek bands, and outright "joke" bands. This is just a gut feeling, but if you look at it logically there's just so much to lampoon with the entire black metal aesthetic and almost all it's subgenres.

As for black metal as a whole, as some others have kind of suggested I do think that we're due for a swing of the pendulum away from bands being more ambient than metal and into sheer black metal brutality. I'm almost surprised we haven't seen Nathrakh-alikes popping up yet because the formula is working very well for them. I like a lot of the ambient/"atmospheric" stuff but I do think there'll be a straw that breaks the camels back and it won't go on indefinitely.

In fact, x no. of years down the line I can actually see the ambient/"post-metal"/atmospheric/depressive and nature-inspired BM becoming as unfashionable in the scene as symphonic black is now. Depressive is already getting that way.
02.04.2010 - 23:35
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Inlé on 02.04.2010 at 00:58

I can see novelty acts getting more prominent. The fact I.C.E made small but noticable waves shows there is some niche interest in tongue in cheek bands, and outright "joke" bands. This is just a gut feeling, but if you look at it logically there's just so much to lampoon with the entire black metal aesthetic and almost all it's subgenres.

As for black metal as a whole, as some others have kind of suggested I do think that we're due for a swing of the pendulum away from bands being more ambient than metal and into sheer black metal brutality. I'm almost surprised we haven't seen Nathrakh-alikes popping up yet because the formula is working very well for them. I like a lot of the ambient/"atmospheric" stuff but I do think there'll be a straw that breaks the camels back and it won't go on indefinitely.

In fact, x no. of years down the line I can actually see the ambient/"post-metal"/atmospheric/depressive and nature-inspired BM becoming as unfashionable in the scene as symphonic black is now. Depressive is already getting that way.

A smart and well thought post. I'm also surprised there aren't any Anaal Nathrakh rip offs out there, though there could be. I can see what you mean about dsbm, as there are a tonne of dsbm bands out there all over the world and about half or less of them are worth the listen.

I don't really think there is going to be a "big next thing" in black metal, it has some what flat lined in recent years. The last big ordeal was Gorgoroth, between their Polish show, Gaahl's life story and short prison sentence, to the climax of the Infernus vs. King/Gaahl lawsuit.
After all these years of anticipation, Varg has finally been released from prison and released his long, very anticipated album and it didn't really shake the black metal underworld as we know it. BM while becoming easier to get, hasn't become mainstream (aside a few bands) and has just sort of been there, just hanging out. There isn't much enigmatic about it any more, it is what it is now.
03.04.2010 - 04:41
SerratedSyringe
Written by Inlé on 02.04.2010 at 00:58
...as unfashionable in the scene as symphonic black is now.

Funny, I always end up liking things at the peak of thier dis-fashion. But then again, I've never cared much for 'scenes'.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
03.04.2010 - 05:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There are a lot of avant garde and experimental black metal bands popping up these days...that sounds like the future of black metal to me...
09.04.2010 - 03:19
Got Mayhem?
I think there may be a small swell in Proto-Black stuff like Mayhems PFA style but nothing significant. I'd put money on there being a large increase in BM with large use of Electronic sounds, a more mainstream Grand Declaration of War in a sense. At this point no one that hasn't already been shocked is going to get shocked by the image or lyrics. Hopefully this will be realized and musicians will start to innovate musically instead of trying to be the kvltest satanists ever.
----
10.04.2010 - 16:56
REAL black metal is never going become a big thing, but There are plenty of great black metals bands to listen too, some of the newer bands around want to be popular.. popular=mainstream
12.04.2010 - 12:37
Homage
Account deleted
Using a casio casette player as a recording studio.
12.04.2010 - 18:58
Ur-Drago
Horde of Hel
Abomino Aetas
Winter of Apokalypse
Nightbringer
Teitanblood
19.01.2011 - 23:06
Blue
Written by SerratedSyringe on 30.03.2010 at 20:16

I think industrial and electronic influenced black metal is the next big thing.

Ain't that Ambient?
I think somebody should put sludge and black metal together.
----
cunt.
20.01.2011 - 02:41
Vombatus
Potorro
I think black & sludge already exists, even if I didn't look around for alot of bands....

Dragged Into Sunlight, yes ? Mainly blackened sludge with some death/doom.
20.01.2011 - 16:58
TheBigRossowski
I hope that whatever the hell A Forest of Stars is playing is the next "big" thing. I mean, I'd love to hear more bands playing unusual, yet fascinating music. (Please don't quote me, saying "but AFOS is *vagina-fuck-black metal* or something)

How you gonna keep em' down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
----