Metal Storm logo
Metalcore

20.01.2007 - 01:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
So I'm Taking Jesus Punchers Advice and Open a thread About Metalcore. Now This thread is about Metalcore in general, But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

But anyway, feel free to talk about some good metalcore. Nad if any of you are wondering why this is in the Alt. Metal forum, it's because I got tired of people whining at me about it. But anywho, let the discussion Commense.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.01.2007 - 09:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Metalcore can be very good sometimes, I have nothing against it. Although it sometimes can be very repetitive. But overall, I'd say that I like it.
----
20.01.2007 - 09:44
rebelos
Account deleted
i still believe that metalcore is a fase like what nu-metal was or like stoner...
someday it will end and 4 or 5 bands will be left doing a great work... the bands that actually diserve it!
Chimaira and Shadows Fall will be 2 of those for sure
21.01.2007 - 04:15
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I enjoy metalcore, no matter what anyone says about the genre. It helped me get into extreme metal a lot and even now I listen to it regularly. My favorite metalcore bands are Chimaira, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, The Red Chord, Between The Buried And Me, and The Black Dahlia Murder (hey, they do have some metalcore in their music, its just the vocals that are different). Of course the genre is really repetitive, but which genre isn't? I don't see why people are so ignorant towards metalcore, it is really good music, if you take the time to appreciate it.
21.01.2007 - 05:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, and I actually really apreciate the breakdowns Involved in it, It's the Genre that mastered it imo. But Metalcore also Helpeded me get into Extreme metal as well, and Just metal In general. It was Shadows Fall and Maiden that did it for me, as well as Megadeth. SO I kinda Got into Traditional, Thrash, and Metalcore all at once. So I really love it for what it's done for me. I can't say I'm fond of Chimara though, their music is boring to me (For the whole one song I've heard )
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

21.01.2007 - 11:15
rebelos
Account deleted
Chimaira has to be one of the most creative metalcore bands ever
try some more Arian
25.01.2007 - 15:52
Sunioj
I think alot of bands bastardized the genre, like bury your dead, bullet for my assintine, caliban, and all that. Theres some really talented musicians in metalcore that sometimes surprises me like Unearth, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and God Forbid are awesome bands. I dont know why people rag on metalcore all time, its really sometimes a scapegoat for metal elitists and the bastardizing 'metalcore' bands that are popping up everday dont make it any better. But then again, every genre has their clones so just enjoy the good bands

For instance Im a DM fan, but there is alot of bands I cant stand listening to in that genre either. Its relative.
25.01.2007 - 22:49
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I'm currently enjoying coalesce though i think that many metal fans would actually hate them more than as i lay dying and such bands.

It speaks volumes about the metal community that melodic death metal is so popular but if the band chucks in a breakdown then it's "commerical metalcore crap". :
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
25.01.2007 - 23:12
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, I'm not exactly a huge fan of metalcore, well, I should better say I don't really know this genre well enough to be objectivelly judgemental, but there are two bands I really like: Killswitch Engage and Poison The Well. Posion The Well and their song ''Nerdy'' was the first metalcore band I ever heard and actually knew it is metalcore. And Killswitch Engage somehow managed to appeal me with ''The End of A Heartache''. As I said, I'm not a die hard fan, but I enjoy it, so if you can recommend me any good bands knowing I like these two, please let me know
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
26.01.2007 - 00:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by AnGina-- on 25.01.2007 at 23:12

Well, I'm not exactly a huge fan of metalcore, well, I should better say I don't really know this genre well enough to be objectivelly judgemental, but there are two bands I really like: Killswitch Engage and Poison The Well. Posion The Well and their song ''Nerdy'' was the first metalcore band I ever heard and actually knew it is metalcore. And Killswitch Engage somehow managed to appeal me with ''The End of A Heartache''. As I said, I'm not a die hard fan, but I enjoy it, so if you can recommend me any good bands knowing I like these two, please let me know

Well, we Have Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Converge, Unearth, and All that Remains. They all are mostly related to eachother, as well as with Killswich engage. For a long time they would mix band members and stuff when they were all underground, save for God Forbid, but they are good friends with Shadows fall. They were even on a part of their DVD "The Art of touring."
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.01.2007 - 00:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I just listened to some Chimaira. The first song I heard is one I don't know the name of, but I didn't like it, it sounded a lot like a nu metal song or something. The Next one was called power trip, it was ok. It started off good, but started to drag out a little. And then I listened to nothing remains. It was alright, a little better written than power trip, but still not my bag.

I don't know guys, maby Chimaira just isn't my thing.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.01.2007 - 01:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
hey @Pikachu 666 here can be mambers in age 13-14 so
If I was mod I know what to do
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.01.2007 - 01:43
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 25.01.2007 at 22:49

I'm currently enjoying coalesce though i think that many metal fans would actually hate them more than as i lay dying and such bands.

It speaks volumes about the metal community that melodic death metal is so popular but if the band chucks in a breakdown then it's "commerical metalcore crap". :

Coalesce owns anyone on this site,some people might like em..Perhaps the Doom fans...because they have a sludgy sound....and not to mention they do one of the best Sabbath covers ever ("supernaut")

not to mention before they broke up...they made an album of nothing but Led Zeppelin covers
26.01.2007 - 01:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Coalesce's older stuff is really cool, but the album they released on Relapse isn't good at all.

Anyone into Deadguy?
26.01.2007 - 08:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by -tom- on 25.01.2007 at 22:49

why the hell is it that people think that breakdowns are just limited to metalcore? FFS old thrash is rife with breakdowns many an old school dm band also employ them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2007 - 23:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Marcel: I know better than to say that breakdowns are Just limited to metalcore, but I also feel that metalcore does some of the best breakdowns out there, mainly Unearth, they have sick breakdowns. But I also aknowledge breakdowns from other genres as well, and they can be just as sick, it's just that breakdowns are sort of trademarked in metalcore.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.01.2007 - 01:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I feel that all these commercial bands that claim to be metalcore don't know how to perform breakdowns. They just throw them in whenever, while I've always thought that breakdowns are supposed to relieve tension. Take Judas Priest's Metal Meltdown for instance...
27.01.2007 - 07:22
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Arian Totalis on 26.01.2007 at 00:51

Well, I just listened to some Chimaira. The first song I heard is one I don't know the name of, but I didn't like it, it sounded a lot like a nu metal song or something. The Next one was called power trip, it was ok. It started off good, but started to drag out a little. And then I listened to nothing remains. It was alright, a little better written than power trip, but still not my bag.

I don't know guys, maby Chimaira just isn't my thing.

This is a little off topic, but if you want to hear Chimaira at their best, the best songs are from their 2005 s/t album. I suggest listening to the songs Nothing Remains, Salvation, Lazarus, Left For Dead, Save Ourselves, Pray For All, and Everything You Love, they are my favorites from that release.
27.01.2007 - 08:02
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dangerboner on 27.01.2007 at 01:41

I feel that all these commercial bands that claim to be metalcore don't know how to perform breakdowns. They just throw them in whenever, while I've always thought that breakdowns are supposed to relieve tension. Take Judas Priest's Metal Meltdown for instance...

Well what would you consider Comercial?

For Example, Bury your dead seems to just throw that shit in just anywhere, but God Forbid, who could be seem as a more "Comercial" Metalcore band always build suspensful harmonies before they do a breakdown, making it all the better.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.01.2007 - 12:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 26.01.2007 at 23:18

@Marcel: I know better than to say that breakdowns are Just limited to metalcore, but I also feel that metalcore does some of the best breakdowns out there, mainly Unearth, they have sick breakdowns. But I also aknowledge breakdowns from other genres as well, and they can be just as sick, it's just that breakdowns are sort of trademarked in metalcore.

Breakdowns were also trademakred in thrash metal back in the day. Those moments were lovingly referred to as mosh-parts back then.

What I was trying to get across is that I can't stand people who say: "Yikes, there's a breakdown here, so therefore it IS metalcore." even though they are listening to thrash metal or death metal. To those people I wanna say: " when a thrash or death band throws in a breakdown that doesn't make them metalcore. Metalcore isn't distinguished by breakdowns alone"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2007 - 22:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Marcel: Ok, I see what you mean
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.01.2007 - 23:17
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
a good band = the ocean collective.

http://www.myspace.com/theoceancollective

Sounds a bit overproduced but the production really gives it some weight. Very heavy sound.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
28.01.2007 - 00:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Tommy Tee: Meh, they're alright, but these guys Kick Hellsa Ass.
http://www.myspace.com/officialheavenshallburn
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.01.2007 - 00:48
rebelos
Account deleted
agreed!

Antigone is a hell of an album
28.01.2007 - 08:32
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.01.2007 at 00:22

@Tommy Tee: Meh, they're alright, but these guys Kick Hellsa Ass.
http://www.myspace.com/officialheavenshallburn

Man...you must be smoking something...Heaven shall burn has nothing on The Ocean

anyways...heres a band you all might enjoy

http://www.myspace.com/swarmofthelotus
21.03.2007 - 14:16
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I've discovered a French metalcore band (or at least I think they're metalcore, I'm not really famliar with the genre actually so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :). Anyway they call themselves the ARRS (meaning The Alien Rights Respect Sect).

I've only listened to their 1st album "Et la douleur est la même" - and the pain remains the same - which hasn't impressed me. They've recently released "Trinité". I haven't listened to it but I'be heard/read good critics so far. I don't really like them but as stated above I'm not a fan of the genre, however maybe you'll find them interesting...

http://www.myspace.com/thearrs
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
22.03.2007 - 03:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sekhmet on 21.03.2007 at 14:16

I've discovered a French metalcore band (or at least I think they're metalcore, I'm not really famliar with the genre actually so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :). Anyway they call themselves the ARRS (meaning The Alien Rights Respect Sect).

I've only listened to their 1st album "Et la douleur est la même" - and the pain remains the same - which hasn't impressed me. They've recently released "Trinité". I haven't listened to it but I'be heard/read good critics so far. I don't really like them but as stated above I'm not a fan of the genre, however maybe you'll find them interesting...

Overall.... I like it, though it is mediocer.

The begining of the song "Originel" Is annoying but was pretty entertaining the rest of the way through.

Ennemis had a Pretty Good Intro. A fast pace bass line. Thanks for the Link.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.03.2007 - 14:17
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.03.2007 at 03:41

The begining of the song "Originel" Is annoying but was pretty entertaining the rest of the way through.

Btw they'll play at the Hellfest (France) in June.
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
28.03.2007 - 23:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sekhmet on 28.03.2007 at 14:17

Written by Arian Totalis on 22.03.2007 at 03:41

Btw they'll play at the Hellfest (France) in June.

To bad I don't live in euroupe
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

05.04.2007 - 19:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had been listening a lot to Symphony In Peril lately, they're an awesome Metalcore band that unfortunately is no more, after two amazing albums... Killswitch Engage and the first album of Unearth are also among my favourite.