Metal Storm logo
Metalcore

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 20.01.2007 - 01:25
So I'm Taking Jesus Punchers Advice and Open a thread About Metalcore. Now This thread is about Metalcore in general, But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

But anyway, feel free to talk about some good metalcore. Nad if any of you are wondering why this is in the Alt. Metal forum, it's because I got tired of people whining at me about it. But anywho, let the discussion Commense.
29.09.2011 - 13:50
Good Metalcore is demon hunter
01.10.2011 - 00:02
Lit.
Account deleted
I have no problem with Metalcore. I agree with an earlier post on the first page that Metalcore may later on be narrowed down to the better bands. I'm not sure what those bands are though, cause Metalcore isn't my forte.
I think my favorite Metalcore album would be The Fall of Ideals by All That Remains.
04.10.2011 - 17:18
Malevolent-Jim
Do Between The Buried And Me count as metalcore? I like them.
05.10.2011 - 04:34
JCJen7
People continue bashing A7x at every turn :/ They haven't been metalcore for nearly 10 years.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
06.10.2011 - 22:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 05.10.2011 at 04:34

People continue bashing A7x at every turn :/ They haven't been metalcore for nearly 10 years.

And yet they are still crap
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2011 - 01:06
ß
Problem?
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 04.10.2011 at 17:18

Do Between The Buried And Me count as metalcore? I like them.

Yes they're considered metalcore but more along the lines of progressive metalcore/mathcore.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
07.10.2011 - 02:54
Void Eater
Account deleted
Indeed BTBAM is metalcore. I've really liked what I've heard from them, but never cared to dig deeper into them.

As far as A7X goes, they went from metalcore to a poppy hard rock/metal style. Not exactly a way to get a lot of fans from internet metal nerds.
07.10.2011 - 03:30
JCJen7
Well, I realize no one here likes them, but I do, and everything they release still gets labeled as crappy metalcore.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
07.10.2011 - 04:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Sorry from no on we'll label it is totally crap poppy metal/rock
at least when they played metalcore they weren't as shite as they are now
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2011 - 04:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
We actually have them labeled here as alternative heavy metal since '05, but people still identify with them as a metalcore band because they don't waste their time checking out A7X's newer shit to realize they changed their sound because the old shit was just that bad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.10.2011 - 10:06
JCJen7
Thanks guys I appreciate the respect. And troy, I know, I asked (in a pissy mood) for someone to do that a couple months ago.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
29.10.2011 - 01:20
IronAngel
Will Haven released a new album. Judging by first listen, not as good as Carpe Diem, but pretty tight and punishing shit.

08.08.2013 - 13:03
Uldreth
Time for some shameless self promotion.

Err, I mean, if someone's at least slightly interested in what this genre can offer, I've compiled a list here of bands/albums I consider to be very much worth checking out.

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2590&page=&message_id=
22.09.2013 - 22:30
I don't really have a problem with the genre in principle. I definitely think it's a Metal Genre to a point, although it's definitely a fusion genre. I can see why some Metal fans may have a bit of a problem with that, but I don't. Since I'm a huge fan of Hardcore Punk AND Metal, I see no reason that you can't combine the two for something interesting.

I'll be honest though, my main problem with the genre is that so many of the bands just don't do anything for me. I started listening to it around 2007, and I've stuck with Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge's Jane Doe, and Botch's We are the Romans the whole time. In comparison to all of the other stuff in the genre, those albums basically, for me any way, render 99 percent of the genre obsolete from my eternal playlist. I'll keep an open mind though, metal purists be damned. If I find more bands in the genre that make powerful music, I can't argue with that. If its powerful music, I like it no matter what the genre.

Having said that, I'll be honest and say I haven't heard a single Deathcore band that does a thing for me. The genre to me does as much for me as Hair Metal (and considering I do whatever I can to distance myself from anything remotely related to that genre, that shows uninterested I am in the genre).
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
23.09.2013 - 16:11
Uldreth
Written by Frank Comstock on 22.09.2013 at 22:30

Having said that, I'll be honest and say I haven't heard a single Deathcore band that does a thing for me. The genre to me does as much for me as Hair Metal (and considering I do whatever I can to distance myself from anything remotely related to that genre, that shows uninterested I am in the genre).

Dunno if you know these, but if not then try them. These are early 2000s deathcore bands that have quite a few mathcore (and in general early metalcore) elements (or if not then significant early swedish death metal elements) so they should be up your alley.

23.09.2013 - 22:02
Thanks man. I'm open minded, but the only Deathcore bands I've heard were the usual suspects, and I wasn't a fan of them. Rest assured, I'll give them a shot.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
24.12.2013 - 22:14
DaveBarlow
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.01.2007 at 01:25

But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

How is that constructive?!
12.05.2014 - 05:38
Schizoid6.6
This genre actually started me on death metal and other harder styles, Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage being some of the main instigators. There still a number of bands I enjoy like Shadow's Fall and some As I Lay Dying, but much of the subjects come off a bit too juvenile and clean for my tastes. This is really the music for the Hot Topic/scene kids. It's all fine if extreme metal is too rich for your blood.
12.05.2014 - 16:13
Uldreth
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 12.05.2014 at 05:38

but much of the subjects come off a bit too juvenile and clean for my tastes. This is really the music for the Hot Topic/scene kids. It's all fine if extreme metal is too rich for your blood.

Try these . These take a dump on a significant portion of "extreme metal" in terms of extremity.
20.06.2014 - 16:47
Ganondox
Not my favorite metal genre, but not my least favorite either. Some of it is pretty good, but IMO melodeath that utilizes clean vocals is the better execution of the concept. What really annoys me is when people say metalcore is metal influenced hardcore, not metal. No, it's clearly metal, not hardcore, it has some clear similarities to traditional heavy metal, but sounds nothing like traditional hardcore, and while early metalcore was more hardcore than metal, modern metalcore, the stuff people hate, is clearly much closer to metal than it is to hardcore. BFMV is completely metal.
25.07.2014 - 02:24
ikeroteiza
Hey, my band and I need feedback abot our debut album from you guys!

http://thesublinary.bandcamp.com/releases
25.07.2014 - 02:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ikeroteiza on 25.07.2014 at 02:24
Hey, my band and I need feedback abot our debut album from you guys!

Feel free to open a thread here: http://metalstorm.net/forum/board.php?board_id=30
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2015 - 13:20
WieTalkstDu
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Ix1xhSlzQ

Check this out
23.04.2015 - 21:54
Filthgrinder
The only metalcore bands I can stand are Demon Hunter and Born From Pain.
----
28.04.2015 - 14:40
chuu
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 12.05.2014 at 05:38

This genre actually started me on death metal and other harder styles, Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage being some of the main instigators. There still a number of bands I enjoy like Shadow's Fall and some As I Lay Dying, but much of the subjects come off a bit too juvenile and clean for my tastes. This is really the music for the Hot Topic/scene kids. It's all fine if extreme metal is too rich for your blood.

Yeah, I have the same opinion as you. Actually this is my favorite genre or it might be my favorite genre until I find another one, anyway I've noticed that this genre has plenty of excellent band as well as other annoying bands like Asking Alexandria, Bring me the horizon, even Bullet for my valentine.

However there are bands that are completely on another level like Killswitch Engage, As I lay Dying, Trivium, Caliban, Shadows Fall etc
30.04.2015 - 21:40
WinterPariah
Metalcore can generally be broken into two "schools" if you will, namely the bands rooted in hardcore and the bands rooted in metal. Groups like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and Shadows Fall all show strong leanings towards more traditional metal while bands like Underoath, Bring Me The Horizon and Architects show stronger hardcore leanings. I think, if someone does like metalcore, it's likely that he or she may end up prefering one school to the other. Myself, I like metalcore bands that have a rather "textured" sound, for lack of a better term, so I tend to appreciate those rooted more in hardcore since there is usually more space in the compositions for outside elements.
----

... no need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray ...
01.05.2015 - 01:02
Ganondox
Written by WinterPariah on 30.04.2015 at 21:40

Metalcore can generally be broken into two "schools" if you will, namely the bands rooted in hardcore and the bands rooted in metal. Groups like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and Shadows Fall all show strong leanings towards more traditional metal while bands like Underoath, Bring Me The Horizon and Architects show stronger hardcore leanings. I think, if someone does like metalcore, it's likely that he or she may end up prefering one school to the other. Myself, I like metalcore bands that have a rather "textured" sound, for lack of a better term, so I tend to appreciate those rooted more in hardcore since there is usually more space in the compositions for outside elements.

The latter aren't rooted more towards hardcore, post-hardcore, probably, but they're definitely more metal than punk, at least IMO. The actual bands more rooted in hardcore are the older bands like Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, and Integrity. I'd say there is much more than two schools of metalcore, maybe melodic metalcore can be divided into those that take more from melodic death metal and those that take more from post-hardcore, but there are more styles than that.
01.05.2015 - 13:49
WinterPariah
Written by Ganondox on 01.05.2015 at 01:02

Written by WinterPariah on 30.04.2015 at 21:40

The latter aren't rooted more towards hardcore, post-hardcore, probably, but they're definitely more metal than punk, at least IMO. The actual bands more rooted in hardcore are the older bands like Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, and Integrity. I'd say there is much more than two schools of metalcore, maybe melodic metalcore can be divided into those that take more from melodic death metal and those that take more from post-hardcore, but there are more styles than that.

I imagine that there are. I've heard everyone from Converge to Bullet For My Valentine called metalcore, each band sounding drastically different from one another. I haven't been too in tune with what's been happening in metalcore more recently, however, save for Bring Me The Horizon and Architects and hadn't even realized there was a "melodic metalcore" genre classification, haha. You are undoubtedly more well-read in the topic than I!
----

01.05.2015 - 14:11
Uldreth
Written by WinterPariah on 01.05.2015 at 13:49

I imagine that there are. I've heard everyone from Converge to Bullet For My Valentine called metalcore, each band sounding drastically different from one another. I haven't been too in tune with what's been happening in metalcore more recently, however, save for Bring Me The Horizon and Architects and hadn't even realized there was a "melodic metalcore" genre classification, haha. You are undoubtedly more well-read in the topic than I!

Melodic metalcore is generally referred to metalcore bands that use riffs from swedish melodic death metal and gothenburg bands, and/or thrash bands. Examples of popular such bands are As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Unearth, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine. Examples of lesser known such bands from the early 2000s, that also incorporated more actual swedish death metal into their music are Prayer For Cleansing, Undying, Darkest Hour, As Hope Dies, Endthisday, Rifles At Recess, The Black Dahlia Murder's first demo...

The rest of metalcore cannot be put into one single group either though because there are like 5-6 movements of different sounds as well. One that took a lot from old-school hardcore (Integrity, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis), one that took a lot from second-wave melodic hardcore and post-hardcore (Misery Signals, Shai Hulud, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Counterparts), also different category but with similiar influences are bands like Poison The Well, Hopesfall, Beloved, etc., then there are the math/noise/sludge core bands like Botch, Converge, Deadguy, Dillinger, Norma Jean, Will Haven, Scarlet, Car Bomb etc., then there are the heavily post-metal influenced ones, and so on.

It is a rather diverse genre it is.
01.05.2015 - 18:01
WinterPariah
Ganondox and Uldreth - could either of you perhaps offer me some recommendations? I really enjoy the later Bring Me The Horizon albums, everything Architects has done since Hollow Crown, Underoath from They're Only Chasing Safety onward ... such are perhaps the most prime examples of what I really enjoy in metalcore. I am not quite sure how to describe the sound other than it's rather layered, textured and detailed with some non-metal influences integrated into the sound ...

Anyway, both of you seem quite knowledgable about the genre and its sub-genres so any help would be most appreciated! I appreciate the sub-genre information too as I was obviously rather off in my general breakdown of metalcore, haha.
----