Metal Storm logo
Watain

Original post

Posted by Infurnace, 26.02.2007 - 23:12
Watain, Swedish Black Metal. Supreme Swedish Black Metal, I must say. They kinda remind me of Dissection. Perhaps Watain is the modern Dissection? So what do you guys think of Watain? I'd like to hear your opinion.
08.08.2007 - 00:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Infurnace on 02.05.2007 at 16:08

Yes, it is really great. I also think it's very special. I really didn't expect something like that from a Swedish Black Metal band.

You need a lesson in Swedish Black Metal then.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.08.2007 - 01:40
Infurnace
Written by Lucas on 08.08.2007 at 00:08

Written by Infurnace on 02.05.2007 at 16:08

Yes, it is really great. I also think it's very special. I really didn't expect something like that from a Swedish Black Metal band.

You need a lesson in Swedish Black Metal then.

I guess so . Swedish Black Metal is really good, most of the time.
08.08.2007 - 13:31
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 08.08.2007 at 04:56

How does Watain go...? I have read very good things about them, and especially thier Sworn To The Dark album which is supposed to be very very good.

I think you should check out Sworn to the Dark, its melodic black metal what some would describe as being in the same vein as dissection...but imo I feel thats more the case with Casus Luciferi. Theres many standout songs from that album as well...Sworn to the Dark is the best quality in terms of production, as far as I can tell its also their most accessible album ( which means that even though you might not be a big BMer, you will probably enjoy this album ) so yeah get it!

That reminds me...I was reading an interview of Watain's frontman and he said that the bands name originated from a song(watain) by a band called Von. Do any of you guys know Von? Are they remotely similar to Watain?
10.08.2007 - 10:38
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 10.08.2007 at 05:55

No they are not, VON is a really really old school band who did a classic cd that Varg apparently rates really really highly.

And I will definitely have to buy Sworn To The Dark now, it's my b'day next week so gonna order some cd's and this will now be one of them thanks dude, I am indeed a huge BMer but on the whole love my Norsk stuff cause of the high qaulity and atmosphere.

Hmm..I noticed that after I posted, in that case I would actually recommend that you listen to Casus Luciferi first because it has stronger atmosphere and more 'pure'.
21.10.2007 - 23:40
metfan
Account deleted
22.02.2008 - 20:36
NOИ
after the death of Dissection, Watain are taking their throne. respect to them!
29.03.2008 - 19:47
ASiema113
I have recently listened to both "Casus Luciferi" & "Sworn to the Dark" & found "STTD" to be the stronger work of the two. Whether it be the production, or the fact that they have come further in their musical careers, I found this album to be more of a "complete" work all the songs went well with each other, which I could not say the same for "Casus". But seeing how I have not been all too found of the raw production anyways that causes me to somewhat turn to their latest album. Both good releases, I just found "Sworn to the Dark" more pleasing to my tastes.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
22.05.2008 - 05:31
mortjoyeux
I loved Casus Luciferi and Sworn to the Dark. I can't get enough of this band.
Casus Luciferi definitely has a more raw, bm sound. It was the first album I heard from this band and I was and still am completely pleased.
23.05.2008 - 16:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by mortjoyeux on 22.05.2008 at 05:31

Casus Luciferi definitely has a more raw, bm sound. It was the first album I heard from this band and I was and still am completely pleased.

What do you think about Rabid Death's Curse?
----
24.05.2008 - 01:32
mortjoyeux
Written by Warman on 23.05.2008 at 16:58

Written by mortjoyeux on 22.05.2008 at 05:31

What do you think about Rabid Death's Curse?

not as bellicose as the albums after, but I still liked it.
02.07.2008 - 22:24
Infurnace
I'm really looking forward to their show on Wacken. The first running order said that they were going to play in the morning. I thought that was a really bad idea. It's a lot better they're playing later on in the evening now.
27.10.2008 - 00:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Listening to the re-mastered Casus Luciferi, this sounds amazing. sure the old sound was good too, but black metal like this should have clean production. this very well could be my favorite album of this year, hahaha.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.11.2008 - 02:26
mortjoyeux
You think so? I didn't really like the clean production. I like the DIY sort of sound.
01.09.2009 - 06:07
Piranha_Kill
Written by Sunioj on 08.08.2007 at 13:31

Written by Guest on 08.08.2007 at 04:56

How does Watain go...? I have read very good things about them, and especially thier Sworn To The Dark album which is supposed to be very very good.

I think you should check out Sworn to the Dark, its melodic black metal what some would describe as being in the same vein as dissection...but imo I feel thats more the case with Casus Luciferi. Theres many standout songs from that album as well...Sworn to the Dark is the best quality in terms of production, as far as I can tell its also their most accessible album ( which means that even though you might not be a big BMer, you will probably enjoy this album ) so yeah get it!

That reminds me...I was reading an interview of Watain's frontman and he said that the bands name originated from a song(watain) by a band called Von. Do any of you guys know Von? Are they remotely similar to Watain?

MASSIVE BUMP - Von was a Second Wave black metal band from San Francisco, California, USA. They are thought to be the first American black metal band, and have strongly influenced the second wave of black metal. Formed in 1989. Full of Blast Beats and Gutteral vox.
----
What do ya mean, booze ain't food! I'd rather chop off my ding-dong than admit that.
44 mins of target practice, all hell's breaking loose........Firefight with a Pocketknife...
08.12.2009 - 18:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I never got the hype about this band. It sounds good but... Just not what I want.

If I want some good orthodox black metal from Sweden, I just take Funeral Mist or Ondskapt.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.12.2009 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.12.2009 at 18:06

If I want some good orthodox black metal from Sweden, I just take Funeral Mist or Ondskapt.

I think Watain, Funeral Mist and Ondskapt are all on a par quality wise. Great three bands. The unholy trinity of Swedish Black Metal imo
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 23:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2009 at 21:53

I think Watain, Funeral Mist and Ondskapt are all on a par quality wise. Great three bands. The unholy trinity of Swedish Black Metal imo

The three are good bands, nothing wrong with that. But I just don't see why Watain seems to get more hype. I heard some songs and they are good but I really doubt that I will buy something from them... I don't know, the latest sounded way too much Dissection to me [I love Dissection btw] and the track from Casus Luciferi didn't sound that awesome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.12.2009 - 04:36
rageing atheist
Account deleted
The first half of Casus Luciferi, up to and including I Am The Earth, kills. After that it gets somewhat stale and I find it harder to pay attention to the music and start flipping through the booklet.
09.12.2009 - 10:42
Slayer666

Oh, fuck me, I haven't heard either one of the two.... Gotta change that, starting now.
09.12.2009 - 12:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.12.2009 at 23:55

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2009 at 21:53

The three are good bands, nothing wrong with that. But I just don't see why Watain seems to get more hype. I heard some songs and they are good but I really doubt that I will buy something from them... I don't know, the latest sounded way too much Dissection to me [I love Dissection btw] and the track from Casus Luciferi didn't sound that awesome.

One reason why Watain gets more hype is that they rule live, Funeral Mist has only released one good album, and Ondskapt isn't as accessible. Sure, Funeral Mist's Salvation is better than anything any of the two other bands have released, but Watain has released two solid albums while dominating live. Because of that, I see Watain as the best band out of the other two.
09.12.2009 - 16:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 09.12.2009 at 12:41

One reason why Watain gets more hype is that they rule live, Funeral Mist has only released one good album, and Ondskapt isn't as accessible. Sure, Funeral Mist's Salvation is better than anything any of the two other bands have released, but Watain has released two solid albums while dominating live. Because of that, I see Watain as the best band out of the other two.

Now that's the reason I was looking for, I didn't think of the concerts... Yeah, I think that would be the best reason.

We agree about Salvation being a crushing masterpiece [although I really really like Draco Sit Mihi Lux too].
If I see Watain live I would probably see them as a way better band than how I see them now... And probably as good as the two other bands of the "Unholy trinity" as Marcel nicely put it.
But I still believe that Ondskapt and Funeral Mist are better when you just think about the cds.. Yeah I kinda liked Maranatha even though it wasn't what I expected
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.03.2010 - 01:07
Mosquiller
Gods of swedish black metal, WATAIN, MALIGN and OFERMOD, the latest band having a member that married at the church. WATAIN was an influence for them as well but I've heard they have jumped on the newest trend now, "anti-cosmic" bullshit. But these bands try to keep a somewhat "mysterious" aura around them so blind people think it's so great. Read their lyrics and interviews and then you'll know. As for the music, I hate it but I do understand if people like it. The worst thing with this homosexual movement is they are religious scum. Humans are definitely dumb.
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
12.03.2010 - 01:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Watain might also get more pub because of their great interviews and proclamations. dude is (unintentionally) hilarious.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.03.2010 - 03:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Mosquiller on 12.03.2010 at 01:07

Gods of swedish black metal, WATAIN, MALIGN and OFERMOD, the latest band having a member that married at the church. WATAIN was an influence for them as well but I've heard they have jumped on the newest trend now, "anti-cosmic" bullshit. But these bands try to keep a somewhat "mysterious" aura around them so blind people think it's so great. Read their lyrics and interviews and then you'll know. As for the music, I hate it but I do understand if people like it. The worst thing with this homosexual movement is they are religious scum. Humans are definitely dumb.

Care to clarify that a bit better man?
12.03.2010 - 23:41
Mosquiller
Why you get very offended fanboy ?
I fail to see anything good about Watain, I do not know what people find so good about them so I made this post to find out.
The real question is why so many people would waste their money on Watain, as horrible as Mayhem now is, id much rather see them over Watain.
----

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
15.03.2010 - 16:34
TheBigRossowski
Written by Mosquiller on 12.03.2010 at 23:41

I fail to see anything good about Watain, I do not know what people find so good about them so I made this post to find out.
The real question is why so many people would waste their money on Watain, as horrible as Mayhem now is, id much rather see them over Watain.

Well, that's just like, ugh, your opinion, man. They have some ugh, groovy shit, Dude! Of course, Casus was way better than Sworn, but they're both good albums.

Watain also puts on a great live show...it's just a little stinky.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.03.2010 - 17:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't remember what it was that I didn't like about Sworn to the Dark but I remember it put me off the band for good. Shame, I used to listen to Casus Luciferi quite a bit.
30.03.2010 - 01:46
Mosquiller
Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.03.2010 at 16:34

Well, that's just like, ugh, your opinion, man. They have some ugh, groovy shit, Dude! Of course, Casus was way better than Sworn, but they're both good albums.

I did not say you couldn't like them, I didn't say you had to justify liking them, I was simply asking why.
I do not see why you get so worked up when someone on a forum where you discuss music asks you what you like about a certain band.

couldn't think of another way to respond to not get banned, son.
----

30.03.2010 - 17:12
TheBigRossowski
Written by Mosquiller on 30.03.2010 at 01:46

Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.03.2010 at 16:34

I did not say you couldn't like them, I didn't say you had to justify liking them, I was simply asking why.
I do not see why you get so worked up when someone on a forum where you discuss music asks you what you like about a certain band.

couldn't think of another way to respond to not get banned, son.

Fuckin' A, man, I got a rash. I was just goofing around. Looks like someone was getting all serious though. I wasn't worked up at all...zilp...

Just go watch the Big Lebowski and maybe you'll catch on to these quotations and what not, sir.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.04.2010 - 21:40
In_tallica
A very primising black metal band indeed. They seem kinda over confident with their sound and saying that they're gonna "make black metal be reborn again", but they do have a unieque chaotic sound. Black Metal needs more bands like Watain!