Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
06.05.2009 - 09:27
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Funeral doom, drone and all the similar genres... it needs big patient
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
14.07.2009 - 18:53
Andresopeth
Funeral Doom and Brutal Death Metal
15.07.2009 - 04:28
soadbyob
Account deleted
Black or any extreme gore bands
15.07.2009 - 06:03
vulgar talent
Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 21:59

i think that black metal is the hardest to get into...im trying but i just cant find any bands that i really like they all sound the same to me.

Same here. If anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it.
24.10.2009 - 21:38
Hanyuchan
Grindcore
25.10.2009 - 19:14
Kratos
Kvlt black metal
28.10.2009 - 22:33
MetallicA
Written by Hanyuchan on 24.10.2009 at 21:38

Grindcore

yup. was gonna say the same thing! Personally, I did not like grindcore at first but now I love it.

I can't get into doom or sludge at all. There's a pretty big sludge following in my city but it's meh to me.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
29.10.2009 - 13:45
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by vulgar talent on 15.07.2009 at 06:03

Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 21:59

i think that black metal is the hardest to get into...im trying but i just cant find any bands that i really like they all sound the same to me.

Same here. If anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it.

Have you ever listenied to Borknagar or Rotting Christ, both bands are very melodic and catchy and are much easier to listen to than most black metal bands.

I'd say for me it is brutal death and black metal, once bands putting speed and chaos over quality it's just too much for me. I also cannot stand grind. I was checking out Rectal Smegma the other day, I don't understand how anyone can appreciate someone making daft and pathetic sounds into a mic, topped up with a shit sounding drumkit.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
29.10.2009 - 14:39
SerratedSyringe
I guess I'll be standing alone on this one. So far the only genre I really have a hard time listening to is thrash. That's right, I simply cannot get into thrash. I think it is the vocals that really screw it up for me, especially the punk-esque shouts. There are a few exceptions though (Skeletonwitch, Arch Enemy, Kreator, etc.), but the vocals seem to be the deciding factor. For me every genre has certain requirements for me to like a band, as far a thrash goes those requirements are just far more stringent.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
31.10.2009 - 03:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Doom....its so..fucking...slow, I just wanna jump through the headphones and shake the band members to wake them up. I know many people love it, but I cant stand that super slow kind of metal it makes me feel like I can see my finger nails grow when I listen to it.
31.10.2009 - 17:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by SerratedSyringe on 29.10.2009 at 14:39

I guess I'll be standing alone on this one. So far the only genre I really have a hard time listening to is thrash.

hhahahaha don't worry, you're not the only one. I don't really like Thrash. Then again I can't see Arch Enemy being thrash

The only thrash bands I really like would be Coroner, Sepultura and some Slayer at times.
There's something too... "normal" about the sound of thrash metal imo. I didn't feel a damn thing while listening to Master Of Puppets and other albums that should be "fucking awesome" from the genre... Although I do understand why people like the genre.

______

I really had a hard time getting into Grindcore, to the point where I really hated it at first but now I really like it. There's a lot of shitty bands, but I've also discovered awesome ones.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2009 - 15:48
SerratedSyringe
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.10.2009 at 17:36

I guess I'll be standing alone on this one. So far the only genre I really have a hard time listening to is thrash.

hhahahaha don't worry, you're not the only one. I don't really like Thrash. Then again I can't see Arch Enemy being thrash

The only thrash bands I really like would be Coroner, Sepultura and some Slayer at times.
There's something too... "normal" about the sound of thrash metal imo. I didn't feel a damn thing while listening to Master Of Puppets and other albums that should be "fucking awesome" from the genre... Although I do understand why people like the genre.

______

I really had a hard time getting into Grindcore, to the point where I really hated it at first but now I really like it. There's a lot of shitty bands, but I've also discovered awesome ones.

I have a hard time taking thrash seriously. It's like watching a horror film, and the actors can't keep a straight face.
----
04.11.2009 - 15:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 04.11.2009 at 15:48

I have a hard time taking thrash seriously. It's like watching a horror film, and the actors can't keep a straight face.

And yet you enjoy The Berzerker (amongst others)?

Why do consider listening to thrash like watching a horror film?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.11.2009 - 20:18
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.10.2009 at 17:36

Heh, the exact same thing I think about thrash... The only album I ever liked was Slayer's "Reign in Blood", and that's probably because it's faster and more aggresive then standard thrash...
Anyway, if you ask me, I had the hardest time getting into Doom.... "What's the goddamn point of metal being so slow?!", I thought. But I really love it now.
04.11.2009 - 21:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 04.11.2009 at 20:18

Anyway, if you ask me, I had the hardest time getting into Doom.... "What's the goddamn point of metal being so slow?!", I thought. But I really love it now.

Yeah, Doom is indeed one of those genre that takes some time to grown on you. But right after learing that "it doesn't have to be fast to be heavy and brutal" then it gets awesome, at least for me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.11.2009 - 19:05
flickaa
Gore and grindcore oh yeah and metalcore?? I'm not into them... sorry for the fans however i dont see how doom could be hard to get into?!! Doom is awesome lol makes me feelllll mellow =D
05.11.2009 - 19:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by flickaa on 05.11.2009 at 19:05

i dont see how doom could be hard to get into?!! Doom is awesome lol makes me feelllll mellow

Because we're a minority. There's a lot of people who like their metal just fast.

Personally I'm into Doom and also enjoy Grindcore a lot. And well, I never new there was a genre called just "gore" since last time I cheked it's just a simple way of describe the lyrics and the main theme of the music but not really the sound... I can udnerstand the Goregirnd, but not just "gore"
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.11.2009 - 21:37
Jan
The hardest genre? Commercial pop - have never understood how people can stand that shit.
05.11.2009 - 21:41
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Grindcore was a bit hard to get into but Pig Destroyer eased it up now i'm quite a big grindcore fan, with bands like Cephalic Carnage and Nasum always on my playlist. Another genre which really drains my patience has to be drone, it's just so fucking slow, but it's damn heavy though
06.11.2009 - 04:54
SerratedSyringe
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.11.2009 at 15:54

Written by SerratedSyringe on 04.11.2009 at 15:48

And yet you enjoy The Berzerker (amongst others)?

Why do consider listening to thrash like watching a horror film?

I was not directly comparing the content of thrash to horror. I was comparing the sensory and emotional experience. Obviously I can't speak for every thrash band, but the majority seem a bit 'cheesy' if you will. I know this is going to raise some eyebrows about power metal too, but it is more subtle in thrash, and I think that is what bothers me the most. On top of all that, I simply do not like the way most thrash sounds.

And yes, I like The Berzerker (they aren't thrash, FYI), because every member pushes the limits of what is possible for their particular instrument. They are also unique, I dare you to find any band that sounds just like the Berzerker.

No hard feelings, these are just my opinions.
----
06.11.2009 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 06.11.2009 at 04:54

I was not directly comparing the content of thrash to horror. I was comparing the sensory and emotional experience. Obviously I can't speak for every thrash band, but the majority seem a bit 'cheesy' if you will. I know this is going to raise some eyebrows about power metal too, but it is more subtle in thrash, and I think that is what bothers me the most. On top of all that, I simply do not like the way most thrash sounds.

And yes, I like The Berzerker (they aren't thrash, FYI), because every member pushes the limits of what is possible for their particular instrument. They are also unique, I dare you to find any band that sounds just like the Berzerker.

No hard feelings, these are just my opinions.

Some thrash bands are indeed cheesy but then again every single genre has its cheesy bands.

Of course The Berzerker isn't thrash. What I meant was that I and loads of people I know have a serious problem taking The Berzerker seriously for the exact same reasons you seem to like them "that every member pushes the limits of what is possible for their particular instrument."just until the point of total ridiculousness. One thing they are though and that is they are unique but then again so are The Almighty Punchdrunk (not thrash), Zimmershole, Strapping Young Lad.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2009 - 15:48
SerratedSyringe
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.11.2009 at 21:17

Written by Slayer666 on 04.11.2009 at 20:18

Yeah, Doom is indeed one of those genre that takes some time to grown on you. But right after learing that "it doesn't have to be fast to be heavy and brutal" then it gets awesome, at least for me.

I'm not a big doom fan personally, but I also don't find it 'hard to get into' There is a local radio station where I live that plays a lot of extreme metal and doom (if you don't consider doom extreme). I like listening to doom while doing other activities (art, cleaning, chores, etc.), but I don't have the patience to simply listen to it.
----
06.11.2009 - 15:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 06.11.2009 at 15:48

I'm not a big doom fan personally, but I also don't find it 'hard to get into' There is a local radio station where I live that plays a lot of extreme metal and doom (if you don't consider doom extreme). I like listening to doom while doing other activities (art, cleaning, chores, etc.),

I never understood people that said doom is hard to get into. Okay funeral doom and drone doom and even sludge doom I can understand people have a hard time getting into. But classic doom? That would mean people would also have a hard time getting into Black Sabbath. Death/doom maybe a bit harder, same for black/doom. Okay I am a huge doom fan so maybe that's why I can't understand people having difficulty getting into it.

Quote:

but I don't have the patience to simply listen to it.

Seeing your list of favourite bands I can totally understand your remark.
When I was a lot lot younger I felt the same way about doom.
But, although there are some exceptions (namely Mr. Doctor and Lucas), doom is usually appreciated by people that are a lot older than you. I am talking at least 25 plus but mostly 30+ and older. Just go to a doom gig and you'll see loads of us old farts walking around. Whereas with black and death it is usually a much younger crowd. Who just want to rage and everything to be grim or brutal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2009 - 18:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2009 at 15:56

When I was a lot lot younger I felt the same way about doom.
But, although there are some exceptions (namely Mr. Doctor and Lucas),

Maybe Lucas and I are old farts in spirit...
It would probably not be as bad as I thought to get old. Would be nice to be that old fart who tells "When I was as young as you, I was blown aways by Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale... Times have changed and few people know about that band... fuckers"
But I hope I will never say that, I don't want that band to get ignored
____

I never though that Doom was difficult to get into, I had a harder time getting into Black and Grindcore but not really that much anyway. The thing is that from my personal experiences with other metalheads, Doom seems kind of a hard genre.

You probably don't feel that way because you live an a Doom country But in my case there a re lots of dudes [even people in their 30's] that say that doom is fucking shit and don't understand it. To quote an old fart from another forum:

"I check out the doom and sludge entries and every time I get to the conclusion that it just plain sucks as a genre.

What is the attraction, people? What am I missing? What is inspiring about guys in frocks playing 1 chord per minute?"

This kind of people makes me sick because they don't know shit about the genre. This dude for example is talking about Sunn O))) and as we know, Sunn O))) is drone, a genre that is far away from the other subgenres that can count as doom... It's pretty much a genre on itself. The thing that maked me laugh is that in the thread [ that it was called "scary/disturbing metal" only one or two [if we discount some Sludge]. doom bands were actually posted there.

Doom can be pretty fast at times, but they don't bother to check and/or can't stand the heaviness.

Meh.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2009 - 18:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2009 at 18:32

Dismaleuphony and I have this theory that you and Lucas are one and the same person. We have never seen you two together. You were going to come to Dutch Doom Days but thought up some excuse so it was just Lucas once again
But then again a couple of eyars ago peopel here on MS thought Collin and I were one and the same
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2009 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2009 at 18:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2009 at 18:32

Dismaleuphony and I have this theory that you and Lucas are one and the same person. We have never seen you two together. You were going to come to Dutch Doom Days but thought up some excuse so it was just Lucas once again
But then again a couple of eyars ago peopel here on MS thought Collin and I were one and the same

This posts doesn't make any sense if you see who are the ones that posted the posts
Yeah, we're actually just one person. a 34 year old man who can divide himself in two younger beings [16/18]. But Lucas would probably deny it so you'll never know.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.11.2009 - 08:10
dEAthB3D
I can't stand funeral doom, i want to jump in it and break the silence..
and i just can't get in to drone and ambient....
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
12.11.2009 - 04:57
SerratedSyringe
Written by Guest on 09.11.2009 at 20:07

Well in my opinion it's power metal...

For me power metal is pretty hit or miss. I don't like the really high girly vocals, but I generally find the insrumentals soothing. The subject matter is cool, if you're into that sort of thing.
----
13.11.2009 - 16:10
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Black metal does come to mind first, but yet I do like BM a lot... I used to think it sounded like a radio would sound in Antarctic, but with time, I came to appreciate the atmospheric side of it. Genres I still can't stand include brutal death, grindcore, flower power like blind guardian, prog (prog is sooo boring, except for Symphony X) and doom (when metal is fit for bedtime, it's hardly metal IMO).
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
13.11.2009 - 18:16
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Doom. As much as I like some great doom bands (Esoteric and Ahab come to mind)...it's just too much monotony for me sometimes. At the same time, I really respect any Doom band who can come out with a full length and keep me interested all the way through. I guess I only listen to the elite bands of this genre, whereas with other genres' I'll listen to even somewhat mediocre albums all the way through.
----
Brujerizmo!