Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
16.11.2009 - 15:49
SerratedSyringe
Written by MétalNoir on 13.11.2009 at 16:10

(when metal is fit for bedtime, it's hardly metal IMO).

Funny you should bring that up; I fall asleep to brutal death, gives me some cool dreams.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
16.11.2009 - 20:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by SerratedSyringe on 16.11.2009 at 15:49

Funny you should bring that up; I fall asleep to brutal death, gives me some cool dreams.

Well I do fall asleep to some fucking heavy stuff, too, but that doesn't mean it's fit for bedtime. It's just that I (and probably you) am a totally fucked up bitch ^^
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.11.2009 - 20:36
SerratedSyringe
Written by MétalNoir on 16.11.2009 at 20:09

Written by SerratedSyringe on 16.11.2009 at 15:49

Well I do fall asleep to some fucking heavy stuff, too, but that doesn't mean it's fit for bedtime. It's just that I (and probably you) am a totally fucked up bitch ^^

Depends on who you ask
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
19.11.2009 - 04:27
jollygreen
Thrash and I'm talking ridiculous thrash. I had a crazy friend in high school (and i dont say hes crazy cause of his music taste) and he liked this band called The Locust check it out and you'll see what I mean. I actually thought it was a joke the lyrics are funny as hell though. Thrash is something that can sometimes confuse me and when i listen to it i always think of a huge mosh pit and getting a spiked steel toed boot to the face.
16.05.2011 - 23:50
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Death Metal. I enjoy Melodeath, but it's really hard to get into things like Cannibal Corpse.
17.05.2011 - 00:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.05.2011 at 23:50

Death Metal. I enjoy Melodeath, but it's really hard to get into things like Cannibal Corpse.

I got into Cannibal Corpse et al quicker than I got into In Flames et al.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2011 - 09:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2011 at 00:35

Same here I started with Normal death metal before listening to melodeath bands like In Flames.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.05.2011 - 10:09
Hellhound

I pretty much fell into Death right from the start. Bands like Kataklysm, Death, Lamb of God (Yes I know they are mostly Thrash/Groove but the death influences are easily audible) Septic Flesh, Psycroptic... You get the point. It really depends on the first couple death bands you hear though. Before you get a taste for the heavy stuff it can really put you off the genre. I have enjoyed Death for a long time and still I am not a big Cannibal Corpse fan. For me, Black Metal is the hardest to get into. Being heavily into Death means I am used to some very different pacing.
17.05.2011 - 11:24
Candlemass
Defaeco
Emmm...probably old school death metal & technical/brutal death metal.
One for being under-produced (for the modern ear) and one very harsh/innovative.
18.05.2011 - 06:42
Yasmine
Black, too much of the same sound around every corner, and if you don't like that sound.......there's a lot of things you won't like to sift through. Or doom, what I've heard doesn't have much branching out either.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
18.05.2011 - 20:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.05.2011 at 09:38

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2011 at 00:35

Same here I started with Normal death metal before listening to melodeath bands like In Flames.

melodeath didn't even exist when i got into death metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.05.2011 - 20:39
MechanisT
Account deleted
Doom is incredibly hard to get into. Not all doom, of course, the 40 Watt Sun, Esoteric ones. I hear praises all across the globe and, however much I want to get into that "esoteric" feeling, the brakes come to a screeching halt. Don't know, I may be programmed to not like these sort of stuff.
18.05.2011 - 20:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 18.05.2011 at 20:32

melodeath didn't even exist when i got into death metal.

I'm trying to write some "you're old"-joke but somehow I can't think of a decent one.

Written by Guest on 18.05.2011 at 20:39

Doom is incredibly hard to get into. Not all doom, of course, the 40 Watt Sun, Esoteric ones. I hear praises all across the globe and, however much I want to get that "esoteric" feeling, the brakes come to a screeching halt. Don't know, I may be programmed to not like these sort of stuff.

Well, you're not really starting with the easiest funeral doom, Esoteric is extreme even for those who like doom metal, so you shouldn't try them first if you want to get into doom metal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.05.2011 - 22:22
BrokenKnuckles
Black metal. i mean...wtf
18.05.2011 - 23:15
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.05.2011 at 20:39

I'm trying to write some "you're old"-joke but somehow I can't think of a decent one.

Written by Guest on 18.05.2011 at 20:39

Doom is incredibly hard to get into. Not all doom, of course, the 40 Watt Sun, Esoteric ones. I hear praises all across the globe and, however much I want to get that "esoteric" feeling, the brakes come to a screeching halt. Don't know, I may be programmed to not like these sort of stuff.

Well, you're not really starting with the easiest funeral doom, Esoteric is extreme even for those who like doom metal, so you shouldn't try them first if you want to get into doom metal.

Well yes, you do have a point there. I guess I'm all greedy and drooling over the brain-bursting prospects of these supposed "masterpieces" of music, so to speak, although I haven't got a clue from where to start my doom collection, unfortunately.
19.05.2011 - 00:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.05.2011 at 23:15

Well yes, you do have a point there. I guess I'm all greedy and drooling over the brain-bursting prospects of these supposed "masterpieces" of music, so to speak, although I haven't got a clue from where to start my doom collection, unfortunately.

Hhahahah I understand you, I'm also very greedy in that sense of the word but when it comes to doom it really was something I was forced to check out in small and healthy doses before going to the nasty stuff.
I have simpathy for anyone who is greedy to check new stuff, even more if it's doom (my favorite metal subgenre btw)... So let me give you a hand on that:
"Basic" Doom albums thread Here you will find a nice amount of "basic albums, most of them being really classic albums that are representative of the genre.
I don't want to sound mean to the other users but I suggest you to check out the suggestions written from the staff as priority. Hint: Marcel is the doom geek!

Feel free to ask anything there, I'm pretty damn sure Marcel will answer you with a long ass list of albums like he always do But really, if you're searching for a certain sound, just ask. If there's something I love about doom but most people don't really see it at first sight is that Doom Metal is actually a very varied genre so there's something for everybody
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2011 - 00:16
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.05.2011 at 00:13

Written by Guest on 18.05.2011 at 23:15

Hhahahah I understand you, I'm also very greedy in that sense of the word but when it comes to doom it really was something I was forced to check out in small and healthy doses before going to the nasty stuff.
I have simpathy for anyone who is greedy to check new stuff, even more if it's doom (my favorite metal subgenre btw)... So let me give you a hand on that:
"Basic" Doom albums thread Here you will find a nice amount of "basic albums, most of them being really classic albums that are representative of the genre.
I don't want to sound mean to the other users but I suggest you to check out the suggestions written from the staff as priority. Hint: Marcel is the doom geek!

Feel free to ask anything there, I'm pretty damn sure Marcel will answer you with a long ass list of albums like he always do But really, if you're searching for a certain sound, just ask. If there's something I love about doom but most people don't really see it at first sight: Doom Metal is actually a very very varied genre so there's something for everybody

Hey, thanks for going into the trouble for me. I really appreciate it.
19.05.2011 - 01:32
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Absolutely is Grindcore! All the songs are equal each other, and the vocals don't touch me ( Yes, i am not gay ). Some time ago i do say that it's death metal, but now i am beginning to listen some good songs from all of it's sub-genre (except Deathcore! )
19.05.2011 - 01:36
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted

Exactly as i though! Amon Amarth is the best band for me in the death metal and it's sub-genres, but all the genres need to be listened, so try cannibal corpse "make then suffer". I think it's the best song from the band!
19.05.2011 - 02:26
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 01:36

Exactly as i though! Amon Amarth is the best band for me in the death metal and it's sub-genres, but all the genres need to be listened, so try cannibal corpse "make then suffer". I think it's the best song from the band!

Thanks man! I really like Amon Amarth, especially for their slow melodic riffs. Like in "Where Silent Gods Stand Guards". In your opinion, which is their best song??
19.05.2011 - 05:13
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well actually after years and years of trying, I just can't get into black metal, this isn't my shit lol at all
just can't...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.05.2011 - 17:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Naturally the most difficult genre will be those those that veer the furthest away from structured music, which is something more or less everyone is brought up believing is the sole factor which constitutes "music" (pop fans would probably argue it's "melody" or something). In the metal genre drone metal is the most anti-structure it would seem. Doesn't matter how brutally fast or technical death metal is or how lo-fi and abrasive black metal is it's still based on obvious structuring. Anything that makes even the hardest metal fan think "this isn't even music" will rule the roost in difficulty and drone is probably the biggest example of that in the metal genre, and the closest it gets to breaking free of structural constraints and moving into pure drone or noise territory. Ambient is possibly the exception to that rule but even then most metalheads wouldn't bother with it. There's probably a blatently obvious exception in popular music that I've overlooked (Free-Jazz, Free-Improv perhaps?) which negates everything I've said but when you consider the overall aesthetic of drone metal (and some of the extreme-end ambient black metal like Wrath of the Weak, Gnaw Their Tongues etc.) and consequent drone and noise bands it seems the obvious answer as most metalheads turn their noses up at it altogether because they think speed and brutality is the be-all and end-all of extreme music and anything beyond that simply isn't music in the sense that they're used to.

Music's a bit like the The Matrix: The Agents represent metal; they can stretch, contort, twist, extend and subvert music, whereas Neo, well, he's fucking Japanoise.

BUT, as I think I said on this thread before the most difficult genres for me to listen to personally are the ones that have stagnated the most and offer the least variation (not really problems with soundscape stuff which is why I like it so much). Death metal and thrash for me are the guilty party, they've barely changed in two decades so finding new and interesting variations of that theme is nigh on impossible. Black metal relatively speaking keeps my interest as there's quite a few subsets of it not to mention an evolution of sorts on a fairly consistent basis (unless you want to continue believing black metal is still about Satan and production à la arsehole intérieur) and the doom genre again has many forms and lot of it incorporates psychedelic music, another step toward eschewing structure (or at least attempts at layering sound and other interesting stuff).
19.05.2011 - 19:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 17:56

Music's a bit like the The Matrix: The Agents represent metal; they can stretch, contort, twist, extend and subvert music, whereas Neo, well, he's fucking Japanoise.

XD!!!!!!!!
That remains me of the show I saw in Roadburn. Keiji Haino... The stuff I found in youtube wasn't really that bad but live it was awful, just plain awful.
He did good vocals with Atilla and Sunn O))) though...
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2011 - 19:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.05.2011 at 19:12

XD!!!!!!!!
That remains me of the show I saw in Roadburn. Keiji Haino... The stuff I found in youtube wasn't really that bad but live it was awful, just plain awful.
He did good vocals with Atilla and Sunn O))) though...

Have to say I've never heard of him o.0 He must someone kinda well known if he's teaming up with Sunn O))) and co. I've never seen a noise band live so I can't imagine what that would be like.
19.05.2011 - 19:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 19:18

Have to say I've never heard of him o.0 He must someone kinda well known if he's teaming up with Sunn O))) and co. I've never seen a noise band live so I can't imagine what that would be like.

The thing is that... imo the sound was kind of shitty because it was really REALLY high-pitch noise sum it up with the volume that it was way too fucking high imo... Yeah. If the sound wasn't to high-pitch and the volume wasn't that fucked up then I would have stayed a bit longer but still I can't believe that some people thought it was cool. If you want to see a very thin, short with grey hair(I thought it was an old lady at first) guy playing the guitar like a maniac, then it's your show... Otherwise, MEH. Stephen O'Malley seemed to enjoy it though (I was quite near him)

But his vocals were good with Sunn O)))... I have to admit that.
Also... thanks to him being so shitty, I moved to another scene and I discovered Aluk Todolo and they are fucking amazing. One of my best discoveries in the festival.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2011 - 19:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.05.2011 at 19:25

Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 19:18

The thing is that... imo the sound was kind of shitty because it was really REALLY high-pitch noise sum it up with the volume that it was way too fucking high imo... Yeah. If the sound wasn't to high-pitch and the volume wasn't that fucked up then I would have stayed a bit longer but still I can't believe that some people thought it was cool. If you want to see a very thin, short with grey hair(I thought it was an old lady at first) guy playing the guitar like a maniac, then it's your show... Otherwise, MEH. Stephen O'Malley seemed to enjoy it though (I was quite near him)

But his vocals were good with Sunn O)))... I have to admit that.
Also... thanks to him being so shitty, I moved to another scene and I discovered Aluk Todolo and they are fucking amazing. One of my best discoveries in the festival.

Aluk Todolo are very cool noisy Black/Kraut metal^ _ ^

I suppose live noise is like recorded noise; you get shitty flat sounds that have no sense of layering and you get decent thought out stuff. When I think of live noise I always picture this and it amuses me greatly:

19.05.2011 - 19:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 19:42

Aluk Todolo are very cool noisy Black/Kraut metal^ _ ^

I suppose live noise is like recorded noise; you get shitty flat sounds that have no sense of layering and you get decent thought out stuff. When I think of live noise I always picture this and it amuses me greatly:

Aluk Todolo is indeed cool. Live it was brilliant I felt like I was in some powerful trance just 5 minutes after entering the room. Powerful music indeed.

Heheheh the video was similar to what I heard with Keiji Haino... I guess I'm more of a drone lover than Noise lover
Fuck, I'm lsitening to some videos of Keiji from Roadburn, playing some shit I didn't heard because I left early, it didn't sound too bad. I guess it was the presentation that really turned me off since he was like... just moving playing the guitar as fast as possible and totally highpitch.... But this video was kind of interesting

EDIT: I mean... why didn't he do some more enjoyable stuff like this?
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2011 - 20:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.05.2011 at 19:56

Heheheh the video was similar to what I heard with Keiji Haino... I guess I'm more of a drone lover than Noise lover
Fuck, I'm lsitening to some videos of Keiji from Roadburn, playing some shit I didn't heard because I left early, it didn't sound too bad. I guess it was the presentation that really turned me off since he was like... just moving playing the guitar as fast as possible and totally highpitch.... But this video was kind of interesting

Actually that looks like something I would have totally dug/digged o.0
19.05.2011 - 20:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 20:00

Actually that looks like something I would have totally dug/digged o.0

I'm as surprised as you, but like I said... The "intro" was just plain bad. Same shit with Swans, I totally disliked their big ass intro but in that case I left then went back after a few minutes and it got all brilliant all of a sudden.

It would have been nice if Keiji did some stuff like the second video I posted. But still... I discovered Aluk Todolo which is waaaay more my style.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2011 - 20:08
Yasmine

Naturally the most difficult genre will be those those that veer the furthest away from structured music, which is something more or less everyone is brought up believing is the sole factor which constitutes "music" (pop fans would probably argue it's "melody" or something).

Actually they'll usually argue that in pop it's the "beat".
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u