Metal Storm logo
Dark Tranquillity vs In Flames

Original post

Posted by Black Winter, 09.07.2007 - 15:56
Your choice needs to be justified, is Dark tranquillity better with Mikael on the lead?
one thing about In Flames and DT, the vocals are very similar i think but what makes the difference is the lyrics and the melody,when it comes to solos ,acoustic and instrumental parts i think DT shows their advantage,for lyrics, just a fine look to DT titles and comparing them with In Flames titles shows that DT's are deeper, that's why i chose DT over In Flames. one other little difference between them is that In Flames are satanic while DT are not, i am not saying that satanic bands suck but it also counts for me.

Poll

it's known that the old DT vocalist went to In Flames,did he do right?

Dark Tranquillity
In Flames

Total votes: 169
31.01.2009 - 22:17
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Close one actually...

In Flames beats them on the first 4 albums (people might disagree but yeah thats about it), but DT wins by default after that because In Flames turned into hairy fannies after Clayman.

I need to think a bit more about this....Im leaning towards In Flames just because I love their early albums more than any DT albums, cept for Damage Done that was sweet
31.01.2009 - 22:41
Ragana
Rawrcat
No doubt - better is Dark Tranquillity. Actually, there's nothing much that can I say about it.
01.02.2009 - 08:19
Ascendant187
I voted for Dark Tranquillity.

While I loved In Flames' earlier stuff (ending with, say, Clayman), I think since then they've changed drastically in order to appeal to a different crowd. DT have changed during their time too, don't get me wrong, but they still appear to remain true to the majority of their roots. When I weigh up their albums too I find that "The Gallery", "Projector" and "Damage Done" are far more enjoyable (to me) than my three favourite IF albums.
02.02.2009 - 16:12
noxchimutaz
Account deleted
1995 - 2000 in flames for sure
2000 - now dark tranquillity
but i voted in flames since they first albums are the best in melodeath
02.02.2009 - 20:49
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Remember, Niklas Sundin (the DT guitarist) wrote the lyrics to the two In Flames albums, Whoracle and The Jester Race. So the only reason besides Colony and Clayman that In Flames are good is due lyrically to Dark Tranquillty Its just something to consider...
----
Coldgrits
02.02.2009 - 21:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Ascendant187 on 01.02.2009 at 08:19

While I loved In Flames' earlier stuff (ending with, say, Clayman), I think since then they've changed drastically in order to appeal to a different crowd. DT have changed during their time too, don't get me wrong, but they still appear to remain true to the majority of their roots. When I weigh up their albums too I find that "The Gallery", "Projector" and "Damage Done" are far more enjoyable (to me) than my three favourite IF albums.

If you had voted for In Flames I would kick your ass
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.02.2009 - 14:45
Ascendant187
Written by BloodTears on 02.02.2009 at 21:41

Written by Ascendant187 on 01.02.2009 at 08:19

If you had voted for In Flames I would kick your ass

Not a chance. I think people are overlooking Dark Tranquillity's "The Gallery" and "Damage Done" for In Flames' "The Jester Race". While it's often considered the best Swedish melodeath album of all time, I think consistency was never there for IF. DT had consistency (and still do) and have released some superb albums that are definitely in the top 5-10 for melodeath and all that good stuff.
10.05.2009 - 03:05
I've been a long time metalhead (into it since the late eighties), but had a hiatus around the time when the Gothenburg scene was big. I guess I'm having a renaissance of sorts in my old age (haha), and decided to give the classic albums from these two bands a listen. Disclaimer : I've only really listened to The Jester Race from In Flames (tried to give Clayman a listen, but it was even more boring). From Dark Tranquillity, I've listened to The Gallery (which I adore) and Fiction (which is also very good, but a lot more nu-metallish). So if I haven't given some other hidden gem from either of these two a fair hearing (literally), apologies in advance.

I still can't get why people consider "old" IF to be the best Gothenburg metal. Even "The Jester Race" never really did it for me - i like only Moonshield and the (short) Jester Dance instrumental.

Whereas DT's The Gallery is an album I like through and through. I almost never tire of hearing the crushing opener Punish my Heaven, The Gallery, the haunting Lethe and the absolutely awesome "Mine is the Grandeur...of Melancholy burning" double-whammy.

Even old IF gives off a "catchy, teeny-bopper" power metal vibe. Old DT is far heavier and more brooding. And I prefer the vocals from The Gallery to those from TJR anyday.

i guess it boils down to personal taste. But I still find it a little puzzling that so many people out there (in other sites) prefer IF to DT.
15.01.2011 - 00:43
INÆRIS
Whoracle is my favorite melodeath album of all time, hands down. When I compare this with the likes of The Gallery or Damage Done, In Flames triumphs. The melodies and sheer power outlast those of Dark Tranquillity. It's very unfortunate that In Flames went down the shitter these last 7 or 8 years though.
----
Still Life, Still Death
20.01.2011 - 19:27
In Flames was awesome up to Colony. Then they kinda got way too mainstream to the point where they lost their original identity. Dark Tranquility has at least never delved completely into utter suckage.
18.04.2011 - 03:31
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Black Winter on 09.07.2007 at 15:56

Your choice needs to be justified, is Dark tranquillity better with Mikael on the lead?
one thing about In Flames and DT, the vocals are very similar i think but what makes the difference is the lyrics and the melody,when it comes to solos ,acoustic and instrumental parts i think DT shows their advantage,for lyrics, just a fine look to DT titles and comparing them with In Flames titles shows that DT's are deeper, that's why i chose DT over In Flames. one other little difference between them is that In Flames are satanic while DT are not, i am not saying that satanic bands suck but it also counts for me.

IN FLAMES IS SATANIC????
18.04.2011 - 03:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
In Flames are not a satanic band. I think their lyrics were more philosophical in the beginning, now they're just "inner struggles" or whatever.

Great, the Archives backs up my claim.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.05.2011 - 06:14
m3ta1he4d
I first listened to In Flames when i had discovered this great metal subgenre of melodic death metal. had been listening to In Flames discography for years already when i discovered another great band - Dark Tranquillity. so i also listened to Dark Tranquillity's discography for the last 2 years. i love both bands. they are both great. but i think DT is more true to what this subgenre of melodic death metal really is. for me, DT is more dark, melodic, death, and metal. not to mention the fact that IF indeed kinda shifted their musical style. i love IF's earlier stuff up to Colony (my fave IF album). and so did DT have made outstanding earlier albums. DT stayed true to the music genre all throughout. my 3 fave DT albums are Fiction, Character, and Damage Done. its Dark Tranquillity for me.. \,,/
08.06.2011 - 15:30
Metal_4Ever
In Flames are great Death Metal band...
09.06.2011 - 18:55
I thought this was common knowledge.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
09.06.2011 - 19:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
In Flames =/= death metal. Please.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2011 - 21:27
truenoacero
Dark Tranquility. In Flames's last albums aren't melodeath albums
17.05.2015 - 07:58
In Flames have an amazing discography from a mixture of metal genres, other than that bloody disgrace Siren Charms they have always released good shit. This includes their pre clayman and post clayman eras.

Dark Tranquillity also have an amazing discography and they stay mostly in the genre of melodeath, so I suspect most melodeath purists would choose DT.

It's hard to split the two bands for quality, but given the most recent releases from these bands I feel much more confident in a Dark Tranquillity new album than an I do for an In Flames one.
17.05.2015 - 11:05
Ganondox
I don't know why you say the vocals are similar, Anders doesn't sound anything like Stanne, they have a completely different screaming and clean singing style. While Stanne is more technically talented, I prefer Anders, his screams and his cleans just sound more soulful to me, both old and new. I never got int DT's music either, so definitely In Flames for me.

Written by Black Winter on 23.09.2007 at 16:19

Written by Remus on 23.09.2007 at 16:06

Written by Black Winter on 09.07.2007 at 15:56

In Flames are satanic

Oh yeah, i heard "Come Clarity" is a regular favourite with the cultists when they perform animal sacrifices down at the local cemetary !

Ok, on a more serious note, i'm not really into any of these bands but DT i really couldn't get into. I tried and i tried but.. So i'll go In Flames on this one.

tou should've heard Episode 666

In Flames isn't satanic, that particular song is criticizing television, not praising satan.
18.05.2015 - 12:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 18.05.2015 at 04:54

I prefer Stanne overall.

Anders had a decent growl once upon a time, but his clean singing is dreadful and irritiating and his screaming average.

DT are a far better band IMO even though In Flames could occassionally write far better songs. I'll credit In Flames with being far more willing to experiment (even though I don't like most of their music after Colony bar chunks of Reroute To Remain) unlike DT who basically have stuck with the same formula for a while now and getting progressively less interesting.

Both bands are past their prime too.

DT keeps same genre as started even Crimson Winds was super great album and up to projector was damn old school more DM as melo DM ... In Flames has only one album what is good Jester Race, after its some alternative , so DT all way up in same genre
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.05.2015 - 18:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Dark Tranquillity is by far a better band these days. But my vote still goes to In Flames. What they did with the first half of their discography is a standard few bands have reached.
----
22.05.2015 - 19:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 22.05.2015 at 18:05

Dark Tranquillity is by far a better band these days. But my vote still goes to In Flames. What they did with the first half of their discography is a standard few bands have reached.

also good point bu DT still are not good as in early albums before Projector
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2015 - 19:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 22.05.2015 at 19:15

also good point bu DT still are not good as in early albums before Projector

Old DT, new DT, both are great stuff in my opinion. But my point is that DT hasn't released something as good as old In Flames. I also should have added that In Flames had a huge impact on me and my musical preferences. I think I was 14 years old when I started listening to them, didn't know much about metal.
----
22.05.2015 - 19:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 22.05.2015 at 19:21

But my point is that DT hasn't released something as good as old In Flames.

Nom, they released stuff which was way better than old In Flames
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2015 - 19:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2015 at 19:22

Nom, they released stuff which was way better than old In Flames

Your favourites are A Moonclad Reflection and Trail of Life Decayed, right? Underestimated stuff.
----
22.05.2015 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
New DT old DT ´in some way its equal, band didn't change so dramatically and IF did
I know what you mean, we all have bands what we always will say thanks that it bring us into metal
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2015 - 02:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 23.05.2015 at 02:17

Personally I think In Flames only topped DT with Jester Race and Whoracle. Rest of their early "melodic death" era catalogue is far more inconsistent than equivalent Dark Tranquillity.

IMO JR was better as any other DT albums, because old was more death metal as melodic death, even Crimson Winds was awesome... but JR was more melodic
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2015 - 06:43
Ganondox
I think JR is overrated as hell (though Whoracle is really good), but then again I'm the alternative metal fan.
25.05.2015 - 14:54
scorn
Mikael's vocals has given DT it's distinguishing sound. Apart from that his vocals are much more dynamic.
26.05.2015 - 00:27
Ganondox
Written by scorn on 25.05.2015 at 14:54

Mikael's vocals has given DT it's distinguishing sound. Apart from that his vocals are much more dynamic.

Say what you want about the album, but with Siren Charms Ander's vocals are far more dynamic than they've even been with DT, probably a bit too dynamic.