Metal Storm logo
Games Music

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 29.05.2006 - 03:53
Well, this is simple. Since there are a lot of bands or musicians that only do music for games, it would be cool that you mention bands or musicians from games that you like. Example: I like a lot Econoline Crush from the PS game Sled Storm, Saki Kaskas from various Need for Speed versions, and obviously the VRock station form GTA Vice City. You can mention only the game if you want to, since not all the games have music credits.
15.07.2012 - 14:55
IronAngel
The SH2 OST is just too good to pick a favorite from. It hits a bit of a slump between tracks 11-14, but other than that the flow is perfect.

I like True a lot. Null Moon is similarly cool. Forest, Ordinary Vanity, Love Psalm. And yeah, the tracks you two posted. But really, it's my favorite ambient album and my favorite game soundtrack of all time, I can listen to it on repeat over and over again.
29.08.2012 - 15:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ash Lake looks like somewhere I'm gonna spending a lot of time farming for twinkling titanite. Good then it has the best music I've heard in the game so far.

29.08.2012 - 22:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
And another immense tune from the game:

I have such a boner for those low, male harmonizing vocals in both songs (more so on the first track). I don't know what the correct technical term would be to describe them.
07.09.2012 - 12:18
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Frank Klepacki did all the Command and Conquer soundtracks (he also has six solo albums) and I think he's great.

Martin O'Donnell did the music for the Halo series, and I love the music that he makes.
----
07.09.2012 - 13:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Theme music from the game "Widelands"

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.09.2012 - 09:22
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I have a few good tracks I just thought of.

This one is EVIL. No really, it's pretty cool. Listen for a minute until it really gets going. I'd say this is pretty METAL for an operatic track.

Gotta love Frank Klepacki... this song is pretty awesome.
----
13.09.2012 - 06:42
Edmund Fogg
Bam!

And that is how you write videogame music.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.09.2012 - 23:17
Evil Chip
The music from rpg's like Secret of Mana, Lufia and of course (the best IMO) Chrono Trigger.

02.10.2012 - 22:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn, totally didn't realise I had this on my hard drive.

05.07.2013 - 19:01
Góral
Combo Breaker
As a self-confessed Gothic psychomaniac I can only recommend this one:

21.03.2014 - 21:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm glad that the hardest boss in Dark Souls II (and the whole series) has one of the best soundtracks.

17.04.2014 - 19:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Currently playing Ring Runner, really nice RPG-ish freeroaming shmup / twin stick shooter. Soundtrack is pretty amazeflaps.

19.04.2014 - 19:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by jupitreas on 02.10.2006 at 12:54

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 02.10.2006 at 03:19

Well, I've checked it out and it's only Sonic Mayhem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_3 - its right there at the top.

Wiki is sometimes wrong and in this case they are. Sonic Mayhem did they entire music for the Q3 maps. Fact.
I have the CD right in my bookcase It's called "Quake 3 Arena Noise"

Check out Sonic Mayhem, they have quite a resume.
http://www.sonicmayhem.com/
----
rekt
14.07.2014 - 02:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
No one remembers this game, even though it was a precursor to the RTS genre, but damn it had a good soundtrack (and was a really fun game).

14.07.2014 - 05:42
Ganondox
Crush40's cheesy hard rock is amazing. That is all I have to say in regard to bands making video game soundtracks.
29.12.2014 - 20:39
Written by Guest on 06.08.2014 at 08:01

One of the best themes from one of the best games

Great track! Great game...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
04.04.2016 - 21:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
So yeah, I've finally checked out the Morrowind theme and OST that everyone was raving about and can't stop listening to it now.
08.04.2016 - 09:43
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 21.03.2014 at 21:41

I'm glad that the hardest boss in Dark Souls II (and the whole series)

Harder than Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos as well?
20.12.2016 - 21:05
Cass
Mark Morgan's soundtracks for Fallout (1 i 2) and Wasteland are awesome, also music for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series are cool too.
15.04.2017 - 02:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJA5mSK53YI

This theme from Napoleon Total War has one of the best depictions of the French Revolution I've heard. Favorite game too, but this song reflects the good and the bad within Napoleon himself and how he is a hero of French history, but to the rest of Europe he was a menace that insinuated a decade and a half of continental war.
----
Power metal incarnate.
15.04.2017 - 02:44
Another good one is the song "Warrior March" off Rome Total War. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmM_rlnYnmw]

I imagine this one as being the prelude and build-up to a massive battle between two opposing factions in a large battle, which is indeed where the song took place in terms of soundtrack and Total War battle scenes.
----
Power metal incarnate.
02.04.2019 - 14:14
johnmitchell
Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 20:39

Written by Guest on 06.08.2014 at 08:01

One of the best themes from one of the best games

Great track! Great game...

agree, I love it

I like it too, Interesting song
----
I made about 28 music compilation, Not much but..........
unblocked games
08.07.2019 - 00:16
Great collection, listening all day long
22.07.2019 - 18:00
Metren
Dreadrealm
Still one of the best VG theme songs from Max Payne 2 by the Finnish pop-rock masters POTF:

----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
30.10.2019 - 08:47
Cass
Are you remember this?

it sounds like "midi metal" lol, Andrew Hulshult (music designer and sound engineer in 3D Realms) recored this:

And full album

Soundtrack from new Doom also kicks ass

20.06.2021 - 12:07
Metren
Dreadrealm
I just composed this short track for a potential video game or visual novel. I imagine it would work best as a title screen/pop up/fade in type song. It's free for use with attribution, if by any chance there are any video game developers out here haha.

I'm working on quite a lot of new material as well, all of it aimed towards creating a sort of example OST containing at least one hour of tracks that would fit into a video game (battle themes, world map music, character themes, comedic relief tracks etc.).
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
01.07.2021 - 20:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Been jamming a lot of Everhood's OST lately. The game is a tad too short for my taste but the soundtrack lives after.

----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.10.2021 - 14:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 11.10.2021 at 14:33

Written by Karlabos on 11.10.2021 at 14:06

What the heck? Video game OST is one of the best and most varied genres out there.

Sorry.
There have definitely been a lot of video game soundtracks that I like, but I wouldn't really listen to any of them except in very specific moods/as background music... This one though (Silent Hill) I can just put on whenever, especially the non-ambient tracks.

But please, enlighten me; what am I missing out on?

Well, I listen mostly to 2d indie games' soundtrack. I feel like graphics based 3d era commercial games have a too serious-toned ambient/orchestral tone to their ost, like they are trying to simulate a movie or something. Whereas 2d game osts are more often all and about, varying genre here and there and throwing some straight up catchy tunes.

The late indie scene has been throwing a lot of blasts.
For instance if you like synthwave, there are games like Textorcist or Furi with synthwave based soundtracks.

A comtemporary classic is Hollow Knight's ost for doing epic yet still memorable songs to hum along.

But my favorite scene is really the dark jrpg, because the osts vary from cheerful songs to ambient tracks. Omori is a nice example. We have this incredible boss track and then this other also incredible boss theme and they sound nothing alike. If you play this game paying attention to the ost you can tell how well it's made, I believe it has over 80 songs. Another dark jrpg with a great soundtrack is OFF. The music is unsettling yet not ambient focused. Honestly on the jrpg scene there is a lot of good stuff. Jimmy And The Pulsating Mass' ost is great (game made by one person who is a musician creating games as a hobby), there is Jake Kaufman who made a spaghetti western ost for a wild west jrpg, and so forth...

Well, Silent Hill's OST is more to the ambient side which I don't follow, so I wouldn't know similar stuff :3
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.10.2021 - 15:12
Zap
Thanks! Didn't know there was a thread for this...

Written by Karlabos on 11.10.2021 at 14:59

Well, I listen mostly to 2d indie games' soundtrack. I feel like graphics based 3d era commercial games have a too serious-toned ambient/orchestral tone to their ost, like they are trying to simulate a movie or something. Whereas 2d game osts are more often all and about, varying genre here and there and throwing some straight up catchy tunes.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, I mostly thought of those bigger games for which the soundtrack is usually a bit generic. Nice as background music, but not very interesting beyond that.

Quote:

The late indie scene has been throwing a lot of blasts.
For instance if you like synthwave, there are games like Textorcist or Furi with synthwave based soundtracks.

A comtemporary classic is Hollow Knight's ost for doing epic yet still memorable songs to hum along.

I don't like synthwave but the Hollow Knight one has me intrigued. The game itself as well, just haven't had the chance to play it

Quote:

Well, Silent Hill's OST is more to the ambient side which I don't follow, so I wouldn't know similar stuff :3

In general yes, I was referring mostly to the rock-sounding stuff in my original comment, really like that. It's to be expected that a horror game has a bunch of ambient tracks as well though. I'll try other Silent Hill OSTs anyways since it seems to be the same person that did the soundtrack on a few of the games.
11.10.2021 - 18:58
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I'm a basic bitch when it comes to VG OSTs but I fucking love Celeste's, the celeste Soundtrack I'd easily place in my top 30 or so favorite releases of all time