Metal Storm logo
2007: A Year In Metal Thus Far

Original post

Posted by Marcel Hubregtse, 23.08.2007 - 11:15
Thus far 2007 has been very average in my opinion but I will post my top 20 till now here anyway (in alphabetical order):

Akercocke - Antichrist
Alabama Thunderpussy - Open Fire
Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
Clutch - From Beale Stree To Oblivion
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, iIn Ignem Aeternum
Detonation - Emission Phase
Forgotten Tomb - Negative Megalomania
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea
Longing For Dawn - A Treacherous Ascension
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Neurosis - Given To The Rising
Non-Divine - Asylum 45
Obsidian - Emerging
Officium Triste - Giving Yourself Away
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Shining V - Halmstad
Trouble - Simple Mind Condition
Watain - Sworn to The Dark
05.10.2007 - 04:41
graywolf87
Account deleted
Metal Storm is full of Power Metal, Depressive Metal, New Wave American Metal, Fake Death Metal, Fake Thrash, etc etc...and all the soft and fake Metals around these days and let's not forget posers that give out 1s every time they can.
...My point is simple, I feel there's a weak "true" Death Metal society in Metal Storm. Almost all Death Metal albums are ranked by the people I named above. They for sure don't have the ears to listen to such music since everything they listen to is soft and happy in terms of sound. I hate the fact that fake Death Metal is taking over true Death Metal with the likes of Children of Bodom (taking them as an example of many). I am aware that people love their Dragonforce, Opeth, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy and all that's popular these days, but hey! listen...stick to your music people! you don't see me voting for your Nightwish new album. why? because I don't like that music It doesn't interest me at all and I don't feel like giving a 1 or 10 to pose since I haven't heard the entire album (taking Nightwish as an example again, to give a general opinion)

Oldschool Death Metal is dying or perhaps already dead (thanks to the people I named above, and their music) , there are few of us that actually listen to true Death Metal and that deserve to vote on albums like Obituary's Xecutioner's Return, few people even know that's how they use to call the band back then, and that's why the album itself sounds so oldschool because they aimed to hit our ears the ears of true old death metal fans.

I feel like leaving Metal Storm for this reason and maybe that's why others like me already left...I am not bitching only about Obituary 2007 new album...you guys reading this get my point and if you don't...well fuck it! go listen to your Children of Bodom.

PS: How was my written speech up there Marcel? somebody should write an article about it,
btw where the fuck is my "you know what band" Shirt?!!! for fucks sakes!
......j/k man you are cool.
05.10.2007 - 07:47
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 05.10.2007 at 04:41

Oldschool Death Metal is dying or perhaps already dead (thanks to the people I named above, and their music)

i can't really put this without sounding like a dick, but i'll try. people get bored easily, causing their interests to evolve. and when they do, society, technology, art, politics, religion, all revolve too. in turn, music evolves. old school death metal adapted and changed to meet people's changing interests, creating all these other genres.

yes, old school death metal is dying. everything dies, and that's life. *insert doom song here*

and if you like old school death metal that much, maybe you should join allmetalforums.com. bunch of little shits IMO, but who knows.
05.10.2007 - 20:54
Damnated
Churchburner
The new Corpus Christii is amazing. I never bothered to really get into them before, but today i picked up their "Rising" and i was blown away. the album is so beautifully raw with a minimal depressive feeling. too bad their earlier stuff isn't like this..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.10.2007 - 19:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The new KMFDM album didn't let me down at all...Tohuvubohu is another consistent accomplishment by them...another album I'm waiting to listen to is the new Arch Enemy album
07.10.2007 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 05.10.2007 at 20:54

The new Corpus Christii is amazing. I never bothered to really get into them before, but today i picked up their "Rising" and i was blown away. the album is so beautifully raw with a minimal depressive feeling. too bad their earlier stuff isn't like this..

You mean Finish doom band I thought thay splitt up in early 90ties?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2007 - 22:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 07.10.2007 at 21:21

You mean Finish doom band I thought thay splitt up in early 90ties?

Hell NO! i'm talking about the portuguese black metal band...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.10.2007 - 18:41
Prowler84
I know none of your lists They seem to be a lot noisy and dull bands for me!
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
11.10.2007 - 14:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Sunioj on 10.10.2007 at 20:51

Written by Prowler84 on 10.10.2007 at 18:41
They seem to be a lot noisy and dull bands for me!

But you know 'none of your lists'? Anyways...

Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Fantastic album, of the old school. This album seems to mark Entombed's next step towards a more rock/thrashy groove sound to their music. Anyone who is a fan of Entombed's Clandestine or Left Hand path, IMO should give this album a shot. And it still holds a part of their traditional edge from their early work.

Wolverine Blues? Your probably mean Serpent Saints since Wolverine Blues is quite old
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.10.2007 - 14:26
Sunioj
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.10.2007 at 14:06

Wolverine Blues? Your probably mean Serpent Saints since Wolverine Blues is quite old

Oops, was thinking of the wrong thread...post deleted. I shouldn't post when Im wasted lol.
12.10.2007 - 15:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
my God ALchemsit - Tripsis is once again a masterpiece.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2007 - 17:24
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
I'm currently under examination of all i have gotten from 2007 so far, My favorite to the moment would be Winds - Prominence & Demise really good piece work. There are some other nice things i have heard like Virgin Black, Neurosis, Vintersorg, Candlemass, Kekal but i have to go deeper on them.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
13.10.2007 - 23:51
Sunioj
Im surprised nobody mentioned Anaal Nathrakh's new release ( Hell is empty and the Devil is here ). Well its one of my favorite from this year for sure, Im still yet to say its my favorite this year, but its damn good. Catchy and Crushing. Theres is alot to this album that stands out me. Pretty focused work. (
14.10.2007 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Sunioj on 13.10.2007 at 23:51

Im surprised nobody mentioned Anaal Nathrakh's new release ( Hell is empty and the Devil is here ). Well its one of my favorite from this year for sure, Im still yet to say its my favorite this year, but its damn good. Catchy and Crushing. Theres is alot to this album that stands out me. Pretty focused work. (

All I can say is that I think no-one mentioned it yet because it is still not released.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2007 - 03:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
the new Ulver is awesome, although the album is pretty much devoid of metal entirely. a slowed down version of Sabbath's "Solititude" is as \m/ as it gets.

i'm only bringing it up on this thread because of their bm roots.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.10.2007 - 04:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

Oldschool Death Metal is dying or perhaps already dead

Maybe because, as you said, it is OLDschool. It is over and done with for the most part. I love early Metal, but I don't bitch about no more Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Cream, Wishbone Ash or Dust.

Death Metal has evolved. And I don't think most people here consider Lamb of God, Opeth or Children of Bodom to be Death Metal.
----
(space for rent)
17.10.2007 - 06:07
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Dane Train on 17.10.2007 at 04:09
I don't think most people here consider ... Opeth or Children of Bodom to be Death Metal.
Dude, take a look around...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
17.10.2007 - 07:52
graywolf87
Account deleted

Maybe because, as you said, it is OLDschool. It is over and done with for the most part. I love early Metal, but I don't bitch about no more Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Cream, Wishbone Ash or Dust.

Death Metal has evolved. And I don't think most people here consider Lamb of God, Opeth or Children of Bodom to be Death Metal.

Listen man stick to Dream Theater...that's one hell of a good band that I respect a lot, but what you said up there is nothing but stupidity.
...seems like you didn't get my point, the bands you just named up there are the kind of music that killed old school death metal (and I call it old school because there is only one "true" death metal which existed long ago, not now, non of the bands you named, and non of them deserve to be called death metal at all)..also if you don't know Obituary, my whole point was to explain how a true death metal band tried to bring back the roots from where everything "death metal" came from and people from nowadays rejected/ignored/disrespected thanks to the piece of shit "fake" death metal that you guys listen to...yes, I am aware that music also evolves, not long ago I saw this new band Daath live for example. I like Behemoth, Decapitated bands from the new generation of death metal but the big majority are but a joke/disrespect to what was once great music and very respected among followers, including me.

P.S: don't start with the dumb ass comments just as you did with the "Christianity" topic...I hate answering dumb ass questions...if you get my point that's good, if you don't get it then too bad.
17.10.2007 - 08:38
Too many fail.
lol @ "true deathmetal" elitism. btw Isn't there enough striaghtforward DM out there both older and newer bands?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
17.10.2007 - 09:04
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 07:52

Listen man stick to Dream Theater...that's one hell of a good band that I respect a lot, but what you said up there is nothing but stupidity.
...seems like you didn't get my point, the bands you just named up there are the kind of music that killed old school death metal (and I call it old school because there is only one "true" death metal which existed long ago, not now, non of the bands you named, and non of them deserve to be called death metal at all)..also if you don't know Obituary, my whole point was to explain how a true death metal band tried to bring back the roots from where everything "death metal" came from and people from nowadays rejected/ignored/disrespected thanks to the piece of shit "fake" death metal that you guys listen to...yes, I am aware that music also evolves, not long ago I saw this new band Daath live for example. I like Behemoth, Decapitated bands from the new generation of death metal but the big majority are but a joke/disrespect to what was once great music and very respected among followers, including me.

P.S: don't start with the dumb ass comments just as you did with the "Christianity" topic...I hate answering dumb ass questions...if you get my point that's good, if you don't get it then too bad.

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only a dumb answer
17.10.2007 - 21:37
Hellish Star
7th Reign 7th Reign
A TORTURED SOUL Kiss of the thorn
AMULANCE The rage within and the aftermath
AGENT STEEL Alienigma
TEMPEST REIGN Catastrophic
BLITZKRIEG Theatre Of The Damned
SYMPHONY X Paradise lost
SEPTER The God key
SAVAGE WIZDOM No time for mercy
SACRED OATH Darkness Visible
CYPHER SEER Awakening day
CANDLEMASS King of the grey islands
CATCH 22 Soulreaper vol.I
ROB ROCK Garden of chaos
EMBERS OF EUPHORIA Embers of Euphoria
ONSLAUGHT Killing peace
NEW EDEN Stagnant progression (re-mix)
CAGE Hell Destroyer
ICARUS WITCH Songs of the lost
MINDWARP CHAMBER Skeptics eye
MEKONG DELTA Lurking fear
MANTICORA The black circus Part II
KING DIAMOND Give me your soul?please
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
17.10.2007 - 21:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

You really want to know what killed old school death metal?

Old school death metal fans who picked up instruments and aped what they listened to... causing a huge glut of boring bands that record labels (the small ones, mind you, not the big labels) signed up and inundated the market with a bunch of craptacular records that should never have seen the light of day.

As someone who started snapping up DM tapes back in 1990, I lived through this. The "old school death metal" genre pretty much killed itself by the mid-to-late 90's. Ask Marcel or other older posters who were listening to the genre back then. See if their opinion differs much from mine.

Finally, you mention Obituary. Obituary, Napalm Death, and Bolt Thrower - old school bands who were very influential in creating and sculpting the genre, and all with their own style, have all released albums in the not too distant past.

I don't recall seeing "Frozen in Time", "Xecutioner's Return", "The Code is Red...", "Smear Campaign" or "For Those Once Loyal" slammed, dissed, ignored, or bashed by either the folks on this forum or the metal magazine community. Most received good reviews (Obituary), and both Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death's most recent releases have been compared favorably against some of their most respected classic works.

Frankly, I don't think you really know what in the hell you are talking about.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.10.2007 - 02:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

...seems like you didn't get my point,

I guess I didn't. So what is your point? Is it that all the old Death Metal bands are dead?
----
(space for rent)
18.10.2007 - 03:38
graywolf87
Account deleted
ok...for the last time time I'll explain my point better, because you people don't seem to understand...you have fucked up minds in the head

let's take obituary for example again...not long ago read an interview about obituary's new album (metal maniacs) and how bad they were ignored/mistreated by roadrunner to the point of leaving and finding a new home-record label.

why is this you ask? because of the metal out there that people seems to like more ex: children of bodom, etc...etc...by supporting this shitfull music people have destroyed what was once great music that is now unrecognized.

btw bittercold that was interesting....I wonder what is marcel thinking about this senseless conversation?
18.10.2007 - 05:01
HardSide
Watain - Sworn to the Dark= pretty good, hard to listen through the whole album without getting bored.
Sigh = Hangman Hymn = Very good in my opinion, it does lack character unlike the previous album.
Mors Principium Est = Liberation = Termination = Good album, definately a worth of a listen if you like melodic metal.
I.N.R.I = Ultra Sonic Hatestorm = Unoriginal album name? Sure, but the songs are very good, probably best album ive listened to this year.
Diviny new album is very good also, it was reviewed here on MS...

Cant think of any more this year, but there have been some good albums this year.
18.10.2007 - 08:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 18.10.2007 at 03:38

ok...for the last time time I'll explain my point better, because you people don't seem to understand...you have fucked up minds in the head

let's take obituary for example again...not long ago read an interview about obituary's new album (metal maniacs) and how bad they were ignored/mistreated by roadrunner to the point of leaving and finding a new home-record label.

why is this you ask? because of the metal out there that people seems to like more ex: children of bodom, etc...etc...by supporting this shitfull music people have destroyed what was once great music that is now unrecognized.

btw bittercold that was interesting....I wonder what is marcel thinking about this senseless conversation?

You keep bringing up Obituary, fine we'll go there.

They had a squabble with their label. Hooray. Lots of bands do. Lots of metal bands shift labels.

Additionally, that album's release was covered by Metal Maniacs (as you mention), Terrorizer, decibel, and pretty much any mag worth mentioning. There are Obi threads here where many posters who weren't even five when they cut their best two albums (yourself included) discuss the merits of their works.

I even saw the video for "insane" on headbangers ball a couple times. didn't they recently play Wacken?

yeah, they've been ignored and left by the metal wayside to fade into obscurity.

but this is off topic, and we've wasted enough time on it here. you want to discuss it further, move it to the Obituary thread or start a new thread to discuss the "death of old school death metal" so you can continue to espouse your theories into the demise of a genre that began before you were even 10 years old. Or you can pick up a copy of "Choosing Death", which discusses the rise of the genre - covering the scenes in England, Sweden, Florida, and abroad and read the thoughts on those who were in the industry and what lead to the genres decline.
----

19.10.2007 - 00:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 18.10.2007 at 08:33

but this is off topic, and we've wasted enough time on it here. you want to discuss it further, move it to the Obituary thread or start a new thread to discuss the "death of old school death metal" so you can continue to espouse your theories into the demise of a genre that began before you were even 10 years old. Or you can pick up a copy of "Choosing Death", which discusses the rise of the genre - covering the scenes in England, Sweden, Florida, and abroad and read the thoughts on those who were in the industry and what lead to the genres decline.

Old school death metal died in mid 90ties just like all old school metal, but firts died old school thrash in early 90ties then death metal, and I realy enjoy old school sound of all metal
Dont know any DM band from UK who cames after 2000 ok in Swe and US are but thay sounds to modern and brutal for me, best DM in Swe was in EoS days aftercthay splitt up death metal died, in US dunno but it has hepened there too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2007 - 16:29
Xaphiris
2007 eh? Monsters of Transylvania 2007 cancelled. Maybe next year...
----
21.10.2007 - 00:03
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 09:04

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only a dumb answer

There is! But only for the one who gives the dumb answer .

P.S. : suck thinks***

Back on topic:

2007 was actually a weird year in metal, for me, and I say "weird" because I don't want to say "bad". I was expecting it because many of my favourite bands were planning to release new albums, but I was either disappointed by those releases, or not interested in them, or tired of them after some listens.
I devoted more time to discover new bands, and know a bit more the bands I am not completely familiar with yet.
I don't remember having the same feeling last year, or the year before.

The only album that was released this year which I will surely still consider as very interesting in the future is Elend's "A World In Their Screams".

There are a few other albums that stand out though (Shining's "V -..." for instance).

Biggest disappointments: Behemoth's "Apostasy", Graveworm's "Collateral Deffect".
21.10.2007 - 00:42
b0000mst1ck
i added a few CD's to my list:
pagan's mind - god's equation
blood red throne - come death
scarpoint - the silence we deserve

i just found out about pagan's mind and i'm highly impressed with it. i just got ahold of it last week and i've probably listened to it a dozen times already. and scarpoint...yummy.
27.10.2007 - 03:58
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
a couple of my favourite releases from this year so far:

Behemoth - The Apostasy
Machine Head - The Blackening

and even:
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Detonation - Emission Phase

all awesome albums
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains