Metal Storm logo
Weighted Average?

07.02.2024 - 13:08
nonZero
I've tried searching for mentions of weighted average on the site but haven't found any discussion around it so I thought I'd start one.

I think it would be interesting to see how the MS top 200 albums would look if a weighted average/ranking were used as opposed to ordered by average rating over 200 votes.

Some of my favourite examples of this include IMDb, Grouvee and BoardGameGeek. They tell a different story to being sorted by highest to lowest average over a certain number of votes.

If I were mathematically-minded enough, I would create a list of my own, but alas my Excel abilities peak at vlookups

What are your thoughts? Is anyone able and willing to put a list together?
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
07.02.2024 - 14:20
Redel
Written by nonZero on 07.02.2024 at 13:08

mentions of weighted average on the site but haven't found any discussion around

We have started a discussion about weighting average ratings in the rating abuse thread back in Nov last year.
07.02.2024 - 14:22
nonZero
Written by Redel on 07.02.2024 at 14:20

Written by nonZero on 07.02.2024 at 13:08

mentions of weighted average on the site but haven't found any discussion around

We have started a discussion about weighting average ratings in the rating abuse thread back in Nov last year.

Oh awesome! I searched for "weighted average", "weighted rating" and "weighted ranking" but didn't bring that thread up. It would be great if it does get implemented.
----
07.02.2024 - 14:28
Redel
I like the idea in general and it is definitely worth a discussion. The problem is that choosing weights always implies a normative decision and tends to make the way average ratings are calculated intransparent.
09.02.2024 - 22:43
Redel
You may also want to look into this take.
15.02.2024 - 12:51
nonZero
Written by Redel on 09.02.2024 at 22:43

You may also want to look into this take.

Nice find! That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!
----