Metal Storm logo
Stupid Names For Genres

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 08:30
What genres out there do you find completely useless? I think the whole point of this thread back in the old MS was not coming out and saying what you hate about current genres. The point was to talk about sub-genre names that people just make up due to lyrical content, image, etc...
14.05.2007 - 12:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by W-Lash on 14.05.2007 at 12:41

Written by Bad English on 14.05.2007 at 10:11

Written by W-Lash on 14.05.2007 at 10:05

Kariasakis7 i'm not sure that i follow your idea but i think that you shouldn't add Windir to standard black metal. It's a bit different, lots of guitar solos, clean vocals, some folk and so on.

But That I mean Windir has them own style there are not so much band swho play like them, maybe 2-5 not more

Oh sorry then, i misunderstood you. I agree that Windir is very unique. In fact i know only one band that play in same style - Sigtyr. There are some other bands but they all have only 1 demo with few songs and i don't count them.

Yes I agree IMO there are fiew bands who has them own style
In Norway ist Windir, Finland - Wyrd, UK - Foretfather, and so on
IMO ist hard to criate original sound nowdays seems all metal styles are so full whit bands its not psoible be original
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2007 - 14:03
FOOCK Nam
There is a band also formed by old member of Windir, called Vreid, I havent checked them yet, so I will give a statement after listen to them, the genre of Windir is unique, so the band themself call Sognal metal...And its not stupid name IMO
14.05.2007 - 14:07
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.05.2007 at 14:03

There is a band also formed by old member of Windir, called Vreid, I havent checked them yet, so I will give a statement after listen to them, the genre of Windir is unique, so the band themself call Sognal metal...

Better don't try. Vreid is total shit. it isn't even normal black metal (in the first album vocalist had not better voice then me).
14.05.2007 - 15:07
FOOCK Nam
@W-lash: I got their 2007 stuff alrready, too late . I will check them, but for sure one thing that is they are never good as mighty Windir
14.05.2007 - 20:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Here is a genre I thought about last night while playing Dungeons & Dragons. POWERGORE It is power metal mixed with gore metal. So instead of singing about riding into battle upon your mighty unicorn to slay the minions of the Goblin King and rescue the Princess of the enchanted Apple Orchard (and of course never turning back on your friends) they would sing about disemboweling a gnome bard.
----
(space for rent)
14.05.2007 - 21:04
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 14.05.2007 at 20:11

Here is a genre I thought about last night while playing Dungeons & Dragons. POWERGORE It is power metal mixed with gore metal. So instead of singing about riding into battle upon your mighty unicorn to slay the minions of the Goblin King and rescue the Princess of the enchanted Apple Orchard (and of course never turning back on your friends) they would sing about disemboweling a gnome bard.

Now that is something I would love to see Imagine an uber highpitched shout including words like "And I bit large chunks of flesh of the dead rotten elf".
21.05.2007 - 09:22
W-Lash
Metal Master
Hemlock, and what is the gore metal then? Haven't heard about it.
21.05.2007 - 14:48
darkest_star
Account deleted
about it.. more stupid genres.. unblack metal, christian metal (Mortification), extreme christian metal, symphonic black metal, jesus music, bubblegum pop, Contemporary Christian music, Horror hardcore, Psychobilly, Deathcountry, Rockabilly, Cowpunk, Cprog, Garage punk, Dark Wave, new german death art, neo-classical, Ethereal Wave, Shoegazing, Dark psytrance, darkcore, Black ambient ( idiot!!! same dark ambient?? ) and more more...
21.05.2007 - 15:00
Ernis
狼獾
How do you like the name SUOMI metal?
21.05.2007 - 15:30
darkest_star
Account deleted
suomi metal!!! children of bodom in the last fm playlist...
21.05.2007 - 15:55
Ernis
狼獾
I mean....I can't possibly dislike this genre name more....it sounds so bad...sorry if there are some Finns who are very proud of it....I wonder if there'll ever be a band of this particular genre that doesn't hail from Finland....
21.05.2007 - 16:05
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by [user id=23794] on 21.05.2007 at 14:48

about it.. more stupid genres.. unblack metal, christian metal (Mortification), extreme christian metal, symphonic black metal, jesus music, bubblegum pop, Contemporary Christian music, Horror hardcore, Psychobilly, Deathcountry, Rockabilly, Cowpunk, Cprog, Garage punk, Dark Wave, new german death art, neo-classical, Ethereal Wave, Shoegazing, Dark psytrance, darkcore, Black ambient ( idiot!!! same dark ambient?? ) and more more...

Hahaha
Where did you got all those genres???
Some of them really sound EXTREMELY STUPID!!!!
Congratulations matey, you made me laugh
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
21.05.2007 - 16:10
Ernis
狼獾
Neo-classical is actually a style of music...not a style of metal, but a style of classical music....it was popular in the beginning of the 20th century I guess....for example Stravinski and Carl Orff were neo-classical composers....

How may Shoegazing sound? Is there a difference between Dark Wave and Darkwave? Cowpunk, Psychobilly sound awesome.....but where's Hillibilly?
21.05.2007 - 17:33
APOHAKC
The Bard
lol Hillibilly is American style, and it is not metal, it is music from those guys in pants and with riffle, I don't know how to explain lol The guys from subburbs.. Some kind of Country
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
21.05.2007 - 17:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
you mean emo? or something even worse?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.05.2007 - 18:20
High and Mighty
Account deleted
What about Blues&Heavy Metal?!
How can american bands come out with such fancy genre names?!?!?!?
21.05.2007 - 18:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=23762] on 21.05.2007 at 18:20

What about Blues&Heavy Metal?!
How can american bands come out with such fancy genre names?!?!?!?

Blues is mor ecloser to DOOM early Black Sabbath for example and almoust ewery traditional doom bands and funeral doom alre closer to Blues roots how other metal bands
----

apos;'
[image]
21.05.2007 - 21:46
Ernis
狼獾
Written by APOHAKC on 21.05.2007 at 17:33

lol Hillibilly is American style, and it is not metal, it is music from those guys in pants and with riffle, I don't know how to explain lol The guys from subburbs.. Some kind of Country

Well but all these styles here don't necessarily need to be metal...As I said..neo-classical is indeed an existent style of classical music...and well...Shoegazing doesn't sound very metal.....what music should make you gaze at your shoes....
21.05.2007 - 21:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Shoegaze ISN'T very metal.

If you're interested, check out My Violent Ego-Carried Along By Fate for example. I don't know many bands (yet), as I am still discovering this genre.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.05.2007 - 00:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

Would you mind explaining why some of these are stupid genres names?

Rockabilly, Cprog, Cowpunk Symphonic Black, Christian Metal and Bubblegum Pop all make sense to me. I would really like to hear your reasoning for these.

I do agree, something like "Horror Hardcore" is a little too much.
----
(space for rent)
22.05.2007 - 16:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

wtf? what is wrong with Symphonic Black Metal as a name? It makes total sense. same for some others you mentioend there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2007 - 17:22
GT
Coffee!!
Staff

Have you ever listened to dark psy-trance? The name is actually quite fitting. Same goes for symphonic black metal
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.05.2007 - 17:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

christian metal (Mortification), extreme christian metal, symphonic black metal, Garage punk, Dark Wave, new german death art, neo-classical, , Black ambient ( idiot!!! same dark ambient?? ) and more more...

WRF ist wrong about it
Cristain metal its metal whit cristian lyrics, i dont see nothing bad there, same about SBM ;wall: man have you hear Bishop of Hexen,
same about Dark Wawe ... what you know about it? and New Wave of German death metal hahahahh

But Dark ambient man
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2007 - 12:35
A.J Thunder
Written by Ernis on 21.05.2007 at 15:55

I mean....I can't possibly dislike this genre name more....it sounds so bad...sorry if there are some Finns who are very proud of it....I wonder if there'll ever be a band of this particular genre that doesn't hail from Finland....

There is nothing called Suomi Metal (fuck that!) Just some stupid "genre name" used for bands that come from Finland. I have never ever even comen across this before here on metalstorm. Our bands go into the same genres as bands from every other countrys.....
23.05.2007 - 12:54
Ernis
狼獾
Ok....that's good....do you know in Finland that we call you here Suomi metal?
23.05.2007 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by A.J Thunder on 23.05.2007 at 12:35

There is nothing called Suomi Metal (fuck that!) Just some stupid "genre name" used for bands that come from Finland. I have never ever even comen across this before here on metalstorm. Our bands go into the same genres as bands from every other countrys.....

Suomi metal is NOT, and I repeat not used for Finnish bands exclusively. It is used for bands that have a sound such as newer Sentenced, Poisonblack, etc.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2007 - 12:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

I have never ever even comen across this before here on metalstorm.

I don't know when yo registered but I think it was Metal Storm that introduced the term Suomi Metal for bands such as the ones I mentioned in my post just above this one, for they do not belong in the gothic category and it is somewhat a specific sound that originated in Finland.
He,, we even Had the SUomi Metal category in the awards of 2005 and 2006.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2007 - 13:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok about Suomi metal but if there ar ebands who sounds simmilar like Poisenblack, sentenced in other countries like Greedy Invalid in Czech and some other bands how we shood call them
----

apos;'
[image]
23.05.2007 - 14:21
A.J Thunder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2007 at 12:55

Suomi metal is NOT, and I repeat not used for Finnish bands exclusively. It is used for bands that have a sound such as newer Sentenced, Poisonblack, etc.

Well in that case...., i just saw the topic in the general music discussion about BEST SUOMI METAL BAND EVER and only bands from Finland were mentioned.

And Sentenced for example was in its early years an DEATH METAL BAND (an Finnish one YES) with IMO influences from bands outside the country, dont know what to call their newer music but i just find the SUOMI METAL genre sounding so stupid and telling nothing about the music other than the orgin of the band. And as another example Amophis= death metal also that had lyrics about Kalevala, but there are many other foreign (for me) bands that are having the same kind of stuff in their music from their own country.
If something had to be called SUOMI METAL i think it should be bands like Kotiteollisuus and Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukas.
23.05.2007 - 14:23
A.J Thunder
And i find it wierd that bands like Amorphis, Him, TO/DIE/FOR, Sentenced.... are all put in the same genre.??