Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
28.07.2010 - 03:32
Angel Of Mercy
Agreed dance of Death has Wildest dreams on it. Easily the worst single they have released (or one of them) IMO
----
Your time will come.
29.07.2010 - 09:30
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 28.07.2010 at 03:32

Agreed dance of Death has Wildest dreams on it. Easily the worst single they have released (or one of them) IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylfYBeW28U4
29.07.2010 - 11:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 29.07.2010 at 09:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylfYBeW28U4

No. I think "Wasting Love" is a great song! That video is absolutely horrendous though.
29.07.2010 - 13:54
RavenKing
Nah. The worst single Maiden ever released is "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter". This song is an atrocity, a musical abomination combined to utterly stupid lyrics.

"Wasting Love" sucks donkey balls too.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.07.2010 - 20:40
Storchillarn
"Bring Your Daughter" is a good rock song. I think I've only listened to Wasting Love 2 times, though.. it really sucks.
29.07.2010 - 20:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenKing on 29.07.2010 at 13:54

Nah. The worst single Maiden ever released is "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter". This song is an atrocity, a musical abomination combined to utterly stupid lyrics.

Totally agreed.
Worst single and song ever by Maiden.
Btw Can I Play With Madness is also a bad single.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2010 - 20:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2010 at 20:56

Totally agreed.

As bad as Bring Your Daughter is, the worst single and song from Iron Maiden is The Angel and the Gambler.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.07.2010 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2010 at 20:56

Totally agreed.

Same like NUmber Of The Beast .... just dunno why in some concerts thay sing 66 numbe rof the east
Those 3 are worts IM relises ever
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.07.2010 - 23:31
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 20:57

As bad as Bring Your Daughter is, the worst single and song from Iron Maiden is The Angel and the Gambler.

Oh, I forgot about that piece of shit! For good reason too!
30.07.2010 - 06:57
jwright
Iron Maiden are an awesome English metal band and this group have a released a collection of a total thirty albums, which includes fourteen studio albums and seven live albums. They have made a great success through the album The Numbers of Beast and Piece of Mind, which has a beautiful tracks. They have made an awesome record by selling million of records under EMI.
30.07.2010 - 14:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.07.2010 - 15:06
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 20:57

I didn't mention it because I don't consider the Blaze-era as being really Iron Maiden. They sounded like a different band at that time and everything they did was pure shit.
----
01.08.2010 - 04:34
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
For you guys that can buy, or find, well have listened to The Final Frontier how is it? good or bad changes? I want to listen to it but it hasnt arrived here yet. cant wait for one of you to write a review.
01.08.2010 - 12:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Nighthowls on 01.08.2010 at 04:34

For you guys that can buy, or find, well have listened to The Final Frontier how is it? good or bad changes? I want to listen to it but it hasnt arrived here yet. cant wait for one of you to write a review.

It won't be released until August 16th.
----
01.08.2010 - 17:06
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 01.08.2010 at 12:56

I'm shure it's typical Iron Maiden, there will be good songs and some bad ones but within three months the hordes will have forgotten it.
01.08.2010 - 17:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 01.08.2010 at 17:06

I'm shure it's typical Iron Maiden, there will be good songs and some bad ones but within three months the hordes will have forgotten it.

Pssst...
except the blind fans...
I couldn't resist.
----
01.08.2010 - 17:15
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 01.08.2010 at 17:08

Pssst...
except the blind fans...
I couldn't resist.

Funny, but I would find it hilarious if you explained it for me.
01.08.2010 - 17:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 01.08.2010 at 17:15

Written by vezzy on 01.08.2010 at 17:08

Pssst...
except the blind fans...
I couldn't resist.

Funny, but I would find it hilarious if you explained it for me.

I would, but then the war shall spread to this topic as well. XD
----
01.08.2010 - 21:58
Storchillarn
Based on the two songs released so far I'm afraid to say it will suck. I'm just hoping for one really cool and surprising tune like Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg and Legacy.
02.08.2010 - 23:28
JÄY
Metal slave
Yeah the 2 songs weve been blessed with so far are pretty baddish
03.08.2010 - 04:06
Nighthowls
Paratrooper

man did I fuck up, oh welll Ill pay more attention to my motifications, and well the band.
03.08.2010 - 04:13
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
You can definitely tell how the last decade has taken a toll on Dickenson's vocals. He's getting up in his years though and his voice lasted a lot longer than many of his contemporarys'. And even if people don't like their last few albums as much, Iron Maiden was never one of those bands that dashed it's reputation by trying to become more radio friendly. When all is said and done, they will have quite the catelog of respectable albums.
04.08.2010 - 01:10
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by JÄY on 02.08.2010 at 23:28

Yeah the 2 songs weve been blessed with so far are pretty baddish

They're typical mid-range Iron Maiden, with "El Dorado" having some potential to become good after several listens (I listened to both available tracks only twice, so that I won't skip them while listening to the whole album). I remember thinking that "Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" sucked when I had first heard it, but it really grew on me, and now I think it's excellent. Hopefully, the same will happen with "El Dorado". As for "The Final Frontier", it's a typical short-fast-Maiden-opener, not better or worse than most of their short openers.
04.08.2010 - 02:47
RavenKing
Written by Daniell on 04.08.2010 at 01:10

As for "The Final Frontier", it's a typical short-fast-Maiden-opener, not better or worse than most of their short openers.

So, for you, a song like that can be compared to "Aces High" or "Moonchild"?
Geez, Maiden can please people with everything nowadays, no matter the quality.
----
04.08.2010 - 05:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 04.08.2010 at 02:47
a song like that can be compared to "Aces High" or "Moonchild"?

Not for me, it cant be!

I liked "El Dorado", but "The Final Frontier" (the song) almost put me to sleep. lol There isnt the slightest bit of intensity, and the chorus is immensely repetitive. I realise what's been released so far is an edited version of the song but still... very dull. I'll give it another chance when I get the album, but I cant see that one growing on me. I think its definitely the worst opening track on a Maiden album.
04.08.2010 - 09:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

As for "The Final Frontier", it's a typical short-fast-Maiden-opener, not better or worse than most of their short openers.

Are you some klind of an oracle with exclusive rights to know what's good and what's bad? You're not, so please kindly learn to respect other people's views. It's likely that when I first listened to Iron Maiden, you had 20 years of non-existence before you, so spare me your patronising tone about "people nowadays".
Besides, I never liked "Moonchild", so yes, "The Final Frontier" is not worse.
04.08.2010 - 12:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 04.08.2010 at 09:37

Are you some klind of an oracle with exclusive rights to know what's good and what's bad? You're not, so please kindly learn to respect other people's views. It's likely that when I first listened to Iron Maiden, you had 20 years of non-existence before you, so spare me your patronising tone about "people nowadays".

Lol, the age argument is classic.
But anyway, he's right, I can't figure it out how TFF is even comparable to those two songs.
----
04.08.2010 - 14:35
RavenKing
Written by Daniell on 04.08.2010 at 09:37

I get it. You prefer the modern sleep-inducing crap to Maiden's good material. So I guess our opinions on this band can't be reconciled.

As for "people nowadays", you're too young to see the difference, probably. But remember what happened when Maiden started to release sub-par material on NPFTD and FOTD. Their sales took a big drop and the band lost tons of fans because people had tastes back then and didn't swallow any crap like today. Perhaps if people still had tastes nowadays, metal in general would not suck so bad. And most of the stuff on NPFTD and FOTD is not as good as the old but still not as awful as the new songs. I don't dare to imagine how sales would have dropped if Maiden came up with this crap 20 years ago.

N.B. I'm used to clash with young people when it comes to Iron Maiden. For a reason I don't know, young people see this band with pink-painted glasses, overlook their flaws and immensely overrate the band in its current form. In my mind, Maiden were a great band in the 80s and among my favorites but they suck nowadays.
----
04.08.2010 - 16:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
There is no need to reconcile our different opinions - it's a wonderful thing that we don't agree on what's good/bad about Maiden, it says a lot about how good their music is. Also because we partially agree. I also think that the best Iron Maiden albums were released in the 80's. The last great one being "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son". The next very good album is "Brave New World", followed by substantially weaker "Dance of Death" (but even there there were great songs: "Montsegur", "Paschendale", "Dance of Death"). Everythign between SSoaSS and BNW is more or less crap, but even there one can find brilliant songs like "Sign of the Cross" or Fear of the Dark".
Their last so far, "A Matter of Life and Death" is a completely new enterprise in Maiden's career. Their music became much darker and progressive, and also hevier - "Brigther Than a Thousand Suns" has the heaviest riff in the history of the band. Songs like "Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" or "The Legacy" are VERY untypical for Maiden, as are like 70% songs on this album. On this album Iron Maiden took a new path, clearly wanting to expand their musical horizons. Good for them, because "A Matter of Life and Death" is their best since "Seventh Son..."

"The Final Frontier" will make many Maiden fans cringe, cry and wriggle in disgust. The first 4 songs, "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier", "El Dorado", "Mother of Mercy" and "Coming Home" are reportedly unlike their old songs - judging by people's reactions to the first two of those, I tend to suspect this to be true. The review I read in a Polish rock magazine today tells me that the second half of the album is more typical Iron Maiden.

I'd divide Iron Maiden fans into a few categories. The first category is people who only want the 80's songs, and nothing will convince them that Maiden's later stuff is also worthy of interest. You fall into that category and you have every right to do so. After all it's up to us what we like or not, and no one can tell us otherwise. To each his own The second category, which I'd humbly like to count myself in, remains open and friendly toward the band's more recent work and sees that although different, it's still good music. Let Maiden develop please, don't expect them to give you "Hallowed Be Thy Name" with every release...

Quote:
I'm used to clash with young people when it comes to Iron Maiden

Err, I'm THIRTY SEVEN, so unless you're 77, I don't quite get your point
04.08.2010 - 19:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@daniell_p: Well said!