Metal Storm logo
The Purpose Of Creating New Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Bitter Dawn, 13.06.2008 - 04:07
Maybe it's just my struggle with creating music that I actually like, but I also haven't really been able to get into very many newer black metal bands. That coupled with old BM bands gaining mainstream popularity and selling out, I start to wonder what is the purpose of new or modern black metal?

The second wave of black metal musicians have pretty much set the bar for quality black metal, and the style of those bands varies so much that it's hard to create something that stands out. Even bands from the second wave have evolved and changed their sound significantly, Dimmu is really commercial with alot of clean vocals, Satyricon is very rock oriented with catchy riffs, Mayhem is constantly switching their sound up, Darkthrone sounds like a mix of punk and old 80's heavy metal, and even Carpathian Forest really changed their sound with Fuck You All!!!.

The problem with most new bands is they lack innovation, most of them sound like knock offs of the older bands as it's well known there are a ton of old Darkthrone and Mayhem copy cats. It just seems like their is a lack of creativity, originality, talent and most bands are trying to live up to being like the bands that once were.

Opinions?
14.06.2008 - 17:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 14.06.2008 at 15:12

Written by Bad English on 14.06.2008 at 15:00

But what bands you mean are secend wave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal#The_Second_Wave

In that cas ethose bands are best what came from Norway there no good bands in nowdays Norway anway
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.06.2008 - 18:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 14.06.2008 at 17:37

In that cas ethose bands are best what came from Norway there no good bands in nowdays Norway anway

true, but there are better bands from other countries. countries lie sweeden, france, us and the whole "eastern block "
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.06.2008 - 18:14
TheBigRossowski
Written by Guest on 14.06.2008 at 03:32

I must agree that all the new bands lack innovation, as they rehash all of the same lyrical themes such as satan, death, and despair. For once, I'd like to see a black metal band sing about blueberry pancakes. That would be really pushing the envelope.

Was that a joke? I think so....

According to Cronos (FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!), "Venom is black metal; sex,drugs, rock&roll and Satan. Those other bands might as well call themselves corpse paint or something". What we even consider to be black metal these days is limited. But we do know that without "Satan", Black metal...isn't black. That's why lots of band that PLAY black metal say "ohh, I wouldn't call it black metal..".

There won't be any singing about blueberry pancakes or rainbows any time soon dude.

Lack originality? Unholy shit.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.06.2008 - 20:58
belisarius
if you really want to hear some new good bm, listen to anaal nathrakh and maybe anorexia nervosa (if you call them new)
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
16.06.2008 - 11:12
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Damnated on 14.06.2008 at 12:39

like others pointed out, there's nothing wrong with the new bands, in fact they are much better than the norwegian second wave. the problem is, that now there are thousands of black metal bands and you have to do some searching until you find good stuff. but the good-bad band ratio is the same as it was in the early days imo.

people like when things land in their lap, so it's easier to whine about the lack of originality then to find a couple of good bands. there are good bands that started just a few years ago. the orthodox scene is amazingly fresh and original, YOU JUST HAVE T TRY IT. there are also other good bands beside these, take Chaos Moon from the US or entire slavic scene.

Perhaps I'm just a bit "old fashioned" if you can call it that, but I can't imagine there being bands that are actually better than Mayhem, Datkrhone, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Carpathian Forest, Burzum, Tsjuder, Emperor and so on.

I'm listening to Anorexia Nervosa at the moment and they seem fairly decent, I've heard roughly three or four French bands (one being from Quebec actually) and so far the French seem to be pretty good at creating black metal.
16.06.2008 - 17:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 20:58

if you really want to hear some new good bm, listen to anaal nathrakh and maybe anorexia nervosa (if you call them new)

it is not new, maybe for you becaus eyou're young but not for metalheads geneeraly those bands are old
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.06.2008 - 21:28
Conservationist
Written by Bitter Dawn on 16.06.2008 at 11:12

Perhaps I'm just a bit "old fashioned" if you can call it that, but I can't imagine there being bands that are actually better than Mayhem, Datkrhone, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Carpathian Forest, Burzum, Tsjuder, Emperor and so on.

There COULD BE, but as things are now, it's unlikely.

The scene changed. People used to be freethinkers, now they're genre leftists and selfish city-dwellers.

That's why it's not producing good bands: no spirit, no clue.
17.06.2008 - 07:54
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Conservationist on 16.06.2008 at 21:28

The scene changed. People used to be freethinkers, now they're genre leftists and selfish city-dwellers.

You've got that right. BM just seems psuedo trendy now, especially thanks to some magazines like Revolver and bands like Dimmu, CoF and Behemoth. But nothing any of us can do about that.

Currently listening to Mourning Dawn (full album) and it's pretty good. The French do it again!
17.06.2008 - 11:46
TheBigRossowski
Written by Bitter Dawn on 17.06.2008 at 07:54

You've got that right. BM just seems psuedo trendy now, especially thanks to some magazines like Revolver and bands like Dimmu, CoF and Behemoth. But nothing any of us can do about that.

Currently listening to Mourning Dawn (full album) and it's pretty good. The French do it again!

Okay, everyone needs to stop focusing in on CoF and DB, we got it, you hate them. I've heard it a thousand times... start focusing your minds on what you don't believe exists, the spirit in black metal is alive. Its found different meanings though, taken shape, EVOLVED! I'm sorry there is no "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" for you, but there is a "Kenose" EP (Deathspell Omega) and there is a "Carved in Stigmata Wounds" (Secrets of the Moon). There is purpose in what's going on in black metal, some musicians have a direction and some would rather sit on the computer and discuss the direction of the bands that are evolving.
----
17.06.2008 - 17:25
Sunioj
What does being a city dweller or a leftist have to do with making bad/good music? Stupidest comment on this thread so far.
17.06.2008 - 21:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Written by Bitter Dawn on 16.06.2008 at 11:12

Free-thinkers? What?! Come on, fifteen years ago the Black Metal scene was just a bunch of norwegians trying to out-evil each other. Reminds me of primary school, where I threw a snowball at a girl from two classes higher cause she grew some boobies and my friends super-double-dared me...
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.06.2008 - 09:13
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by TheBigRossowski on 17.06.2008 at 11:46

Written by Bitter Dawn on 17.06.2008 at 07:54

Okay, everyone needs to stop focusing in on CoF and DB, we got it, you hate them. I've heard it a thousand times... start focusing your minds on what you don't believe exists, the spirit in black metal is alive. Its found different meanings though, taken shape, EVOLVED! I'm sorry there is no "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" for you, but there is a "Kenose" EP (Deathspell Omega) and there is a "Carved in Stigmata Wounds" (Secrets of the Moon). There is purpose in what's going on in black metal, some musicians have a direction and some would rather sit on the computer and discuss the direction of the bands that are evolving.

It's hard not to still be bothered by Dimmu, CoF and even Behemoth especially the first former once being a real BM band, but yes let's not actually go into that discussion I agree.
Still enjoying Mourning Dawn alot, as well looking for new bands that you've all been suggesting.
22.06.2008 - 03:18
Buggy
Account deleted
Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.06.2008 at 04:07

The problem with most new bands is they lack innovation, most of them sound like knock offs of the older bands as it's well known there are a ton of old Darkthrone and Mayhem copy cats. It just seems like their is a lack of creativity, originality, talent and most bands are trying to live up to being like the bands that once were.

Opinions?

I think this is partly due to the excessive enthusiasm with which the classic bands are worshipped by the hardcore black metal audience. Uncompromising admiration always leads to imitation...
18.09.2008 - 18:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
any genre deserves innovation, black metal is no different.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.01.2011 - 23:09
Blue
I personally believe that Black Metal is a fairly new genre, so there is no way there's no room for improvement already. There are quite a lot of things that still can be done to it, even if most bands follow a standard and don't do anything original.
----
cunt.
20.01.2011 - 00:04
ANGEL REAPER
BACK TO THE OLD SCHOOL BLACK METAL!That is the way to go...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.01.2011 - 05:17
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Finding new black metal, with new being in the last decade, can be quite challenging, due to the whole "kvlt" ideology that somehow came into the genre, making people think that dull and unorigional is the way to go. However, music doesn't get much better then quality black metal. Only thing that beats it is quality death and thrash metal

Ever heard of Spie Extreme Wing, Burial Hordes, or Cobalt? Check'em out.

Oh, and the only black metal bands with mainstream popularity are Dimmu and Cradle of Filth. Mayhem, Darkthrone, and other second wave black metal acts may be famous now in the general alt. music scene, but your average mainstream radio music fan won't have heard of them.
21.01.2011 - 15:40
The purpose of creating new black metal is simple, Black metal is evolving constantly, it's shifting and gathering other influences. This is why i think that it's not dying and new bands have loads of original material. Bands which do not necessarily embrace anti-religion ideas and/or other cults or religious views. Bands that do not follow right wing ideology and are more open towards making music and not statements. Bands which can not go mainstream because of their sheer nature. Those bands that engulf new ideas and keep them well under our noses. Those bands are:
Amesoeurs,
Cold Body Radiation,
Addaura,
Nahlvalr,
Dispirit,
Skagos,
Wholves in the Throne Room,
Panopticon,
Dazd,
and of course one of the best Deafheaven

they aren't necessarily new but they are not that old either and also keep a very different agenda.
21.01.2011 - 16:06
ForeverDarkWoods
I'm quite hopeful that the black/thrash movement that saw a big surge within the last 10 years or so will continue to release good stuff. I want more stuff like this:

There's also the more crusty variants that often reek of the first wave that sometimes rock. This is one of the really good bands derived from this movement:

So yeah, I've got hopes for the future, but my hopes certainly don't lie with Wolves In The Throne Room and the likes...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
21.01.2011 - 18:49
That's simply because your hopes are very different. Midnight is great but i prefer the drone and post metal influenced bands. Thrash has seen its years and so has punk but they hardly bring anything new. But i must include a few blakened crust bands like Iskra and Aktiv Dödshjälp and even Hotbild, they are all great, powerfull and since Darkthrone took the plunge into this musical style i like them better than ever...though i must admit not all of Dark Throne's latest albums are great...

PS: see you in vault 13
21.01.2011 - 19:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I tend to agree, thrash and punk influenced black metal doesn't ever seem to go anywhere interesting or creative and seems purely for the nostalgic, if those two videos are anything to go by. I personally am pretty bored of the post/post-rock/shoegaze influenced things too though. There's an awful lot of wishy-washy crap floating around at the moment that seem pretty tame where extreme music is concerned. I like the free-form/improv/noise/psychedelic outfits that occasionally pop up (Nahvalr, Arizmenda, Kuxan Suum, Murmuüre, Wrath of the Weak (now defunct sadly, just when he was hitting his stride), as well as anything drone influenced or just stuff that's a bit weird.
21.01.2011 - 20:45
RavenKing
Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.06.2008 at 18:14

According to Cronos (FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!), "Venom is black metal; sex,drugs, rock&roll and Satan. Those other bands might as well call themselves corpse paint or something". What we even consider to be black metal these days is limited. But we do know that without "Satan", Black metal...isn't black. That's why lots of band that PLAY black metal say "ohh, I wouldn't call it black metal...".

I heard this speech from Cronos long ago. I find it simply arrogant and stupid.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.01.2011 - 22:17
TheBigRossowski
Written by RavenKing on 21.01.2011 at 20:45

According to Cronos (FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!), "Venom is black metal; sex,drugs, rock&roll and Satan. Those other bands might as well call themselves corpse paint or something". What we even consider to be black metal these days is limited. But we do know that without "Satan", Black metal...isn't black. That's why lots of band that PLAY black metal say "ohh, I wouldn't call it black metal...".

Makes you kind of...ugh, chuckle, huh? lol. The way he talks and explains himself in that video is funny in it's own way.

Strange seeing a quote from 2008 though.
----
22.01.2011 - 00:28
RavenKing
Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.01.2011 at 22:17

Written by RavenKing on 21.01.2011 at 20:45

Makes you kind of...ugh, chuckle, huh? lol. The way he talks and explains himself in that video is funny in it's own way.

Strange seeing a quote from 2008 though.

What I find so arrogant is the way he dismisses all Black Metal bands, apart from his own band. As if Venom is the only band who would deserve the label "Black Metal" or Venom belongs to a higher style.
Especially when you take into account that Venom was an example of mediocrity and a matter of mockery in the 80s. If we talk about technicality, tons of BM bands are lightyears ahead of Venom.

What I find so stupid is Venom never was Black Metal as we know it now, but blackened Thrash. And, I would say, much closer to Thrash than Black Metal.

It reminds me of another quote (a more famous one) I find quite flawed (though not arrogant at all and, in fact, not false - only quite flawed in a way): "We are Motorhead and we play Rock'N'Roll".
Yes. Motorheard is Rock'N'Roll in the sense that all metal music is derivated from Rock'N'Roll but it is extremely imprecise, way too loose for modern standards. The Rolling Stones are Rock'N'Roll but it doesn't sound like Motorhead by any stretch of the imagination.
Still, I'm much more comfortable with Lemmy's quote than with Cronos'.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.01.2011 - 18:24
ANGEL REAPER
Written by RavenKing on 22.01.2011 at 00:28

It reminds me of another quote (a more famous one) I find quite flawed (though not arrogant at all and, in fact, not false - only quite flawed in a way): "We are Motorhead and we play Rock'N'Roll".
Yes. Motorheard is Rock'N'Roll in the sense that all metal music is derivated from Rock'N'Roll but it is extremely imprecise, way too loose for modern standards. The Rolling Stones are Rock'N'Roll but it doesn't sound like Motorhead by any stretch of the imagination.
Still, I'm much more comfortable with Lemmy's quote than with Cronos'.

Man I agree with you
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.01.2011 - 21:50
Actually, this arrogance is found all over the black metal scene. For a multitude of reasons there is this habit floating around. We all know black metal is not dead in the sense of creativity. In fact, only in these few posts, already we can find lots of talented bands. I go with Skagos ( not for originality, but for sheer intensity ) and for those who do not know them, try them out.
22.12.2011 - 15:01
theFIST
Written by Blue on 19.01.2011 at 23:09

I personally believe that Black Metal is a fairly new genre, so there is no way there's no room for improvement already. There are quite a lot of things that still can be done to it, even if most bands follow a standard and don't do anything original.

you may personally believe that as much as you like, you can not simply make decades of it"s existence untrue though
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
25.12.2011 - 15:42
Sammol
It's impossible to innovate BM further.
25.12.2011 - 16:14
Slayer666
Written by Sammol on 25.12.2011 at 15:42

It's impossible to innovate BM further.

Sarcasm?
Because if not, you're either deaf or you're not keeping up with the genre nowadays.
25.12.2011 - 20:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 25.12.2011 at 16:14
Sarcasm?

Everyone knows black metal has been stagnant since '95.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."