Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
31.05.2010 - 17:46
Numbskull
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2010 at 17:31

Written by Numbskull on 31.05.2010 at 17:26

After listening to Ogre's 'Plague of the Planet' (which I highly recommend)

Finally got hold of it last week. And it is a great traditional doom album. Funny thing is that the cover says it has 11 sogns, but when you put it in the cd player it only has 1 song. Hahahaha
I actually find Seven Hells even a bit stronger.

Yea, I love them both. But, there's something about the flow of one continues song that I find intriguing.

By the way, I love your sig ... I thought flower power die in the sixties. Unfortunately, it's alive and prancing around with a wooden sword in its hand. Very scary and powerful stuff I tell you. Someone needs to drain the kiddy-pool and send their fans to swim in deeper waters. Just my humble opinion.
05.06.2010 - 18:34
Malevolent-Jim
I've been listening to a lot of Power Metal lately.I blame Avantasia and Dark Moor for that.
I really recommend "The Gates Of Oblivion" by Dark Moor, If nobodies heard it.
09.06.2010 - 22:44
busta5000
Account deleted
Lots of genres started me to listen to it.

Metal - Dope
Metalcore - Bullet for my valentine
Symphonic Metal - Epica
Progressive metal - In mourniing
Death Metal - napal death
Thrash Metal - Exodus
17.06.2010 - 06:54
Hār Wulfric
Progressive Metal and it was inspired by Dream theator and Opeth. But I also am slightly annoyed buy it too hehe.
23.06.2010 - 07:27
SerratedSyringe
If been listening to Weedeater lately, which is the only stoner doom band I really enjoy.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
29.06.2010 - 23:43
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Probably viking metal, AMON AMARTH
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
29.06.2010 - 23:44
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Ive had the band in my itunes library for so long but always thought they were shit, bt when i reelly started to listen to their music in depth i realized how insanely amazing they are!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
06.07.2010 - 06:47
Sulac
-Power Metal. I blame Kamelot and Sabaton and Blind Guardian for that. (Listened to kamelot for a long time, just recently got Sabaton and Blind Guardian, and I'm HOOKED!!!)
-Not too long ago I was addicted to Viking Metal (still love it). I was attracted by my love of mythology, and the hook was set by Ensiferum and Amon Amarth.
06.07.2010 - 19:28
Blaze
Stoner doom, Electric Wizard is the best
----
Where is the power, where is the glory, Heavy Metal is my story.
11.08.2010 - 19:40
F0rang3l
I've always been a fan of Melo death metal. IN Flames and Dark Tranquility are my favourite bands from that genre.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
13.08.2010 - 02:17
InnerSelf
proofread free
I have been on a Post-Rock , Post-Metal rampage since the beginning of this summer , The band that started it was Three Steps to the Ocean an Italian Experimental Post-Rock / Metal which are just inspirational , and another Italian Post-Metal band called A Cold Dead Body
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.08.2010 - 11:56
ForeverDarkWoods
I've been on a huge traditional heavy metal and doom streak recently. I dunno what started it, but suddenly I got a huge urge to listen to Aria, Mercyful Fate, Pagan Altar, Pentagram etc.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.08.2010 - 19:04
KosfanMarya
Metal - Marya Roxx

Gothic Metal - Sirenia
22.08.2010 - 18:51
ApolloFC
Well i don't think its a particular genre, but more of a particular sound. Crimson Glory would be the band after seeing their amazing performance at PPUSA. Now i'm getting into bands that do falsetto etc extremely well. Mercyful fate would be another example.
13.11.2010 - 15:24
BaZaH
Account deleted
I've been into progressive metal/progressive death metal for a while now(Dream Theater, Opeth, Atheist, Death, etc.), but I recently discovered progressive BLACK metal with the album Isa by Enslaved, fucking EPIC!
13.11.2010 - 15:52
Luneth
Account deleted
Been listening to a lot of symphonic (Fairyland; Amberian Dawn; Edenbridge) and neoclassical (Concerto Moon; Yngwie Malmsteem; Galneryus) metal recently.
13.11.2010 - 21:40
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Have explored old school raw Norwegian Black Metal until there was nothing more. Now rediscovering metal in the form of other genres like Folk Metal. My return to this site has revived my love of metal somehow. Come what may bitches!!
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.11.2010 - 22:07
Axe Argonian
My metal tastes have never been consistent, so it's no surprise to say that my tastes have been fluctuating over the course of the last few months. Despite the band's popularity, only recently have I found myself enjoying Enslaved, the first black metal band that I have ever truly liked. Primordial have also inspired my interest in black metal. However, with the likes of Kylesa, Crowbar, and Bison B.C., sludge metal has also been a source of extreme musical appeal to me.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
14.11.2010 - 00:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Axe Argonian on 13.11.2010 at 22:07

My metal tastes have never been consistent, so it's no surprise to say that my tastes have been fluctuating over the course of the last few months. Despite the band's popularity, only recently have I found myself enjoying Enslaved, the first black metal band that I have ever truly liked. Primordial have also inspired my interest in black metal. However, with the likes of Kylesa, Crowbar, and Bison B.C., sludge metal has also been a source of extreme musical appeal to me.
check out Kvelertak. It's great stuff
----
loves 小巫
14.11.2010 - 11:33
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Back to power metal, the reason Hammerfall
03.12.2010 - 19:49
Sweet Leaf
I've been mostly into Depressive Black Metal for a while. I knew a few bands like Shining and Nocturnal Depression a year ago or so, but the whole genre started to catch my attention this summer, specially Forgotten Tomb among some other bands (Coldworld, Nyktalgia, Austere, Totalselfhatred...) I even had the chance to see Forgotten Tomb live recently, I think it was one of the best gigs I've ever attended.
30.01.2011 - 11:46
Vivi'
I've been into death metal for almost 6 years. Cannibal Corpse started it for me Pretty brutal, huh?
31.01.2011 - 13:08
Luneth
Account deleted
Been listening to a lot of Viking Black Metal, saw Windir in the staff pick section and thought why the hell not.
04.02.2011 - 10:33
Beer Fairy
Heavy metal - Majesty / Metalforce
and death metal - Asphyx
04.02.2011 - 14:04
Night Sight
Black metal stuffs like enslaved,immortal and progressive rock/metal like riverside,dream theater,green carnation,radiohead and also doom metal stuffs like ophis,mourning beloveth,shape of despair ,my dying bride and draconian
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
08.02.2011 - 15:15
BrokenKnuckles
I saw Amon Amarth open for a band before knowing who they where. So ive been big into viking/Melodic Death metal for awhile
08.02.2011 - 15:17
(((O)))
Drone doom, i listened to some Moss albums however my favorite drone doom band is Sabazius.
09.02.2011 - 08:28
Panzerfaust
I'm currently into everything that has influences of eastern european folk, like Nokturnal Mortum, Kroda, Temnozor etc. Latter got me interested in this kind of music.
----
Life's a fucking joke.
09.02.2011 - 11:06
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by KosfanMarya on 18.08.2010 at 19:04

Metal - Marya Roxx

But no, seriously, Payback Time was pretty decent.
09.02.2011 - 11:06
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by KosfanMarya on 18.08.2010 at 19:04

Metal - Marya Roxx

But no, seriously, Payback Time was pretty decent.