Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
12.02.2011 - 19:05
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Axe Argonian on 13.11.2010 at 22:07
However, with the likes of Kylesa, Crowbar, and Bison B.C., sludge metal has also been a source of extreme musical appeal to me.

Same! Sludge/stoner is my latest thing. It started several years ago with Bongripper and Electric Wizard but didn't really take off until this year when I also heard Bison B.C. and Kylesa. Damn. And Kruger AND Torche
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.04.2011 - 20:39
XV535Virago
Avant-garde metal. It started some time ago when i purchased the entire Arcturus discography from an online shop and became an "addict".
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
12.04.2011 - 20:49
Luneth
Account deleted
Going through a bit of a progressive/Black Metal switch currently. Summoning started it.
13.04.2011 - 07:19
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Got into doom about a week ago. Thanks Solitude Aeturnus.
13.04.2011 - 08:19
vulgar talent
Been listening to more post-metal/sludge bands than usual lately. no idea who started it. if you do please enlighten me.
13.04.2011 - 10:12
wormdrink414
Elite
Not metal, but still fucking good: Been listening to a lot of post-Sardonic Wrath Darkthrone lately which has sent me into the never ending world of Youtube suggested video tangents. Led me to Fear, a punk band from L.A., who've been consistently kicking my ass. Really good stuff.
16.04.2011 - 09:13
poison-evie
Been in a folk metal phase for the last couple months. First got into it a couple years ago, but as of the last couple months, Moonsorrow reopened that floodgate again and it's been pretty much just folk metal on my playlist as of late.
19.04.2011 - 13:52
Silent Jay
Written by vulgar talent on 13.04.2011 at 08:19

Been listening to more post-metal/sludge bands than usual lately. no idea who started it. if you do please enlighten me.
Me too! I heard a band called 'Russian Circles' (Check out their album 'Enter') on a Podcast a while back and they've reignited am obsession with Post-Metal recently, that originally started with Isis and Baroness. Pelican are another similar band that are getting alot of play time from me atm and I shall be seeing them in the summer on a co-headlining gig with Boris.
20.04.2011 - 10:14
*MetalSlave*
Brutal/Grind/Slam Death Metal right now. I think i started off with Devourment or Defeated Sanity.
22.04.2011 - 23:24
Balthazine
Recently I've been more into Doom, Death, and Grindcore then other genres of metal. It was started by listening to Acid Witch's new "Stoned" album. Naturally because they are a death/doom mix, it got me listening heavily to both genres again. Grindcore.. was started with me re-listening to Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation just a few days ago.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
23.04.2011 - 16:32
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 12.04.2011 at 20:49

Going through a bit of a progressive/Black Metal switch currently. Summoning started it.

Summoning is not progressive. It's atmospheric Black Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.04.2011 - 16:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 23.04.2011 at 16:32

Barely black metal after Minas Morgul or so if you ask me.
23.04.2011 - 16:37
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 23.04.2011 at 16:34

Barely black metal after Minas Morgul or so if you ask me.

Even if I love Summoning, I must say I agree. The only real BM element is vocals (and some guitar riffs).
In fact, I don't see their music really as BM but as dark ambient (atmospheric) music.
----
23.04.2011 - 16:50
Luneth
Account deleted

I know, if you reread the sentence you'll see the full stop after 'currently' ends the clause in which I was referring to Prog/Black. 'Summoning Started it' is a new clause and doesn't mean, 'therefore Summoning is a Prog/Black band'. I'm well aware they aren't Prog/Black.
23.04.2011 - 16:53
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 23.04.2011 at 16:50

I know, if you reread the sentence you'll see the full stop after 'currently' ends the clause in which I was referring to Prog/Black. 'Summoning Started it' is a new clause and doesn't mean, 'therefore Summoning is a Prog/Black band'. I'm well aware they aren't Prog/Black.

Sorry. I misinterpreted your post. I thought you meant that Summoning was progressive Black Metal.
----
18.06.2011 - 21:58
Zealot644
Djent. Periphery, Vildhjarta, etc.
20.06.2011 - 04:47
ToMegaTherion
I've been listening to a lot of odd stuff lately; Ihsahn and Katatonia have been prominent in my cd player, also a little Savatage, Iced Earth and Candlemass. So make of that what you will.
21.06.2011 - 04:48
GroundZero
Genre? Black Metal
Band? Rotting Christ

In fact Rotting Christ is the only Black Metal band I listen to. Anyway, I'll explore more BM bands. Some of them are good.
22.06.2011 - 14:32
Metal_4Ever
Symphonic Metal - Stream of Passion
22.06.2011 - 16:55
Edmund Fogg
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of prog/avantguarde/tech death. It all started with the new Unexpect release and it got me to rediscover some Amogh Symphony and some Spawns of Possesion.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
22.06.2011 - 17:07
Beer Fairy
Recently a lot ot blackened thrash - Ketzer, Desaster, Urn, Destroyer 666... Desaster ( ) are the reason I liked that kind of metal.
02.07.2011 - 16:27
Death Metal 456
Account deleted
Brutal Death. Started by Dying Fetus's Destroy the Opposition.
20.07.2011 - 02:02
Folk metal, by a pretty circuitous route. I hadn't listened to metal all that much for a while, and I was getting back into some old-school 80s thrash. Someone recommended Heathen to me, and while I was looking into them two other bands came up, Ensiferum and Tyr. My gut told me to download them on the basis of their names alone, and I really got into them. Then when I discovered Orphaned Land I became seriously hooked. Recently I've been listening to a lot of Finnish stuff, Korpiklaani and Finntroll in particular.
20.07.2011 - 03:12
rekkuza-
Old school Gothic metal. xD Quite a change for me, to be honest.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
20.07.2011 - 23:59
Gelati
I'm a total sucker for the whole djent movement. Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Veil of Maya, Haunted Shores, Paul Wardingham, Jarle E. Olsen, Circles, etc. I just can't get enough of it.
21.07.2011 - 05:50
ToMegaTherion
Iv been listening to a lot of Katatonia and Savatage lately, and bands that are similar too them.
21.07.2011 - 06:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

I don't think the question was who started the genre you're currently listening to, but which band peaked your interest in the genre.

For me Mostly a lot of sludge and stoner. More recently I have been listening to a lot more doom as well, but most of these genres interrelate. I have been listening to sludge/stoner for quite a while now, I still haven't gotten out of this phase. I guess Mastodon and The Ocean started it off for me.
Another reason why I trip on this scene is the artwork that comes along with most bands.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
21.07.2011 - 08:54
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Spirit Molecule on 21.07.2011 at 06:55

I don't think the question was who started the genre you're currently listening to, but which band peaked your interest in the genre.

For me Mostly a lot of sludge and stoner. More recently I have been listening to a lot more doom as well, but most of these genres interrelate. I have been listening to sludge/stoner for quite a while now, I still haven't gotten out of this phase. I guess Mastodon and The Ocean started it off for me.
Another reason why I trip on this scene is the artwork that comes along with most bands.

Yeah true, most of the sludge/stoner scene has wicked artworks for their album covers! Some of my favs (Blue Record - Baroness / Taste The Sin - Black Tusk / Full Of Hell - Howl / Spiral Shadow - Kylesa) anyways Not so long ago (maybe a week or two back) I was in that phase aswell.. but Idk lately I came back to Thrash alot I bought Gama Bomb's Citizen Brain and I think it pretty started it back, yeah I had already listened to the album but idk buying it and listening to it again brought me back in a thrashy mood, plus alot of good new thrash was released this year including Havok's Time Is Up and Assaulter's Boundless... and the new Toxic Holocaust gotta listen to that anyways thats pretty much it for me at the moment.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.07.2011 - 17:16
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Black Metal. I started with bathory, and now I am listening to Satyricon and some Venon.
22.07.2011 - 08:32
Plague
Written by wormdrink414 on 13.04.2011 at 10:12

Not metal, but still fucking good: Been listening to a lot of post-Sardonic Wrath Darkthrone lately which has sent me into the never ending world of Youtube suggested video tangents. Led me to Fear, a punk band from L.A., who've been consistently kicking my ass. Really good stuff.

LOL...Youtube tangents... I'm familiar w/ that. Leads to finding some good music!

I been listening to BM mostly. Actually started w/ Deicide (even tho they're DM) like the Satanic Themes so started looking for more and remembered a band someone suggested to me a few years ago on another forum... CARPATHIAN FOREST...so, I guess CF was my first BM band.
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!